Bleacher Report names Jets QB position as one of the best training camp battles

Competition drives the NFL. Training camp is when competition is at its fiercest as 90 men battle for 53 spots.

Actually, a few dozen compete for the handful of available openings beyond the established veterans, high-priced free-agent additions and draft picks the team already acquired.

Then there are those found within the former groups trying to overcome others who may have an edge on paper. Every year, someone surprises. But the most interesting training-camp battles take place at loaded positions with excess talent or those where question marks still exist.

A lasting impression can be made during the sweltering summer months when no one is ready to relinquish his dream of being an NFL star. Even the least likely to make a team will give everything his body is capable of to prove he's worthy of being in the league. 

New York Jets: Quarterback

Let's work under the assumption all of this year's first-round quarterbacks won't open the season as starters since their respective teams have viable veteran options in place. This isn't much of a stretch since the incoming crop is a young group and the organizations seem willing to slow-play their development.

The New York Jets, however, have two candidates to keep Sam Darnold off the field. Josh McCown and Teddy Bridgewater will be more of a competition than originally believed.

Head coach Todd Bowles already named McCown the starter even though the team is looking for a long-term solution.

"You want a long-term answer at every position, not just quarterback," Bowles told reporters in March. "So we're trying to find guys and Josh, again, he played well last year, and we got the addition of Teddy and we'll see what he can do and the young guys are still practicing. But you want a guy that has stability at the position for a long time."

McCown may have posted career highs in completion percentage, passing yards and touchdowns last season, but Bridgewater could be more than a short-term bridge.

A "legitimate buzz" built within the organization regarding the 2014 first-round pick due to his performance during initial practice sessions, according to ESPN.com's Rich Cimini. Bridgewater is only 25 years old even after missing the bulk of two seasons because of a knee injury. His ascension may be enough to keep this year's third overall pick on the bench for longer than expected.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2784275-projecting-the-nfls-best-position-battles-as-training-camp-looms.amp.html

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes because of all the prior young QB talent he has had in his tenure? 

There is no doubt in my mind.that the best option is for the jets to go with bridgewater.he has the experience and is a winner.to be the jets starter this coming season.

That’s what people forget. I know some posters here like to bring it up for satire purposes or some may even be dead serious, but Bowles never had a #3 overall pick and the consensus #1 QB of the draf

The first question will be how teddy holds up in a scrimmage, or shared practice even though he will have a red jersey on it will be full speed and he will have to push and strain the knee 

Splitting pre-season game reps between 3 QBs sucks, so ideally the Jets will know about teddy very soon and don't have to stretch it into the 3rd game 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

What he says and what he does 2 different things. 

Think it depends on how good Darnold looks. How Teddy and Josh looks will factor into it as well, obviously.

But whoever they have the most confidence in come Game 3 of the preseason...will be who starts imho.

38 minutes ago, Larz said:

The first question will be how teddy holds up in a scrimmage, or shared practice even though he will have a red jersey on it will be full speed and he will have to push and strain the knee 

Splitting pre-season game reps between 3 QBs sucks, so ideally the Jets will know about teddy very soon and don't have to stretch it into the 3rd game 

Last year McCown had very few preseason reps and still started (and played well). I doubt he'll get many reps this year as they focus on getting Sam the experience he needs.

• Upvote 3
3 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Last year McCown had very few preseason reps and still started (and played well). I doubt he'll get many reps this year as they focus on getting Sam the experience he needs.

Agree, but splitting teddy and Sam quality 1st team reps is not ideal 

The sooner they know if they are going to cut or trade teddy the better 

Worst case scenario is some drawn out battle 

• Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Think it depends on how good Darnold looks. How Teddy and Josh looks will factor into it as well, obviously.

But whoever they have the most confidence in come Game 3 of the preseason...will be who starts imho.

13 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yes because of all the prior young QB talent he has had in his tenure? 

Hoping for the best. 

18 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Right on and if he takes off and they love what they see..I think Sammy gets the nod. 

If Teddy looks great, he may impede on that idea though.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

That’s why I highlighted that one quote from him. He clearly wants Darnold to be able to start ASAP.

Thought the quote said it was from March, wouldn't that indicate he was not referring to Darnold

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

"You want a long-term answer at every position, not just quarterback," Bowles told reporters in March. "So we're trying to find guys and Josh, again, he played well last year, and we got the addition of Teddy and we'll see what he can do and the young guys are still practicing. But you want a guy that has stability at the position for a long time."

3 hours ago, Larz said:

I would expect Darnold and Bridge to get most of the preseason game reps this year, much like Petty and Hack last year.   Everyone knows what McCown is and he doesn't need much practice time to be ready.   One of the new "kids" needs to show they are ready to take the job away from McCown.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Heres the problem they are forgetting who the HC is he favors old loser NFL re-treads.

Only when his young QBs are garbage like Hack and Petty

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
54 minutes ago, pajet said:

Thought the quote said it was from March, wouldn't that indicate he was not referring to Darnold

It would imply that he is talking about which ever rookie QB they winded up with and now that the rookie QB is Sam Darnold, there is even more likely of a chance that he wants him to start ASAP being that he loves the kid.

3 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Fair point.

That’s what people forget. I know some posters here like to bring it up for satire purposes or some may even be dead serious, but Bowles never had a #3 overall pick and the consensus #1 QB of the draft class. 

This is a little different of a situation if you ask me.

• Upvote 4
3 hours ago, Larz said:

I am glad there is an actual choice this year.  Teddy may take us to the playoffs.  Darnold will take us to the future, and McCown will take us nowhere.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Heres the problem they are forgetting who the HC is he favors old loser NFL re-treads.

Because he didn't agree with you to start the two shltty young QB options over two QB who then had career seasons as the starter.

Always love the idea that there's a NFL HC anywhere who wants to play a young JAG QB over a vet.  

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Because he didn't agree with you to start the two shltty young QB options over two QB who then had career seasons as the starter.

Always love the idea that there's a NFL HC anywhere who wants to play a young POS QB over a vet.  

It wouldnt of been fair to the team. Real life jobs do not work like that. From fan perspectives we often are blind to this but...

If someone is more experienced and better at the position and his abilities to do his job will elevate the success of the company more so than the young guy under him, should someone less competent take his place just because the current guy isn’t the “future”?

No. That isn’t fair to make the team suffer and other players who are fighting to grab a roster spot dont need to see their HC give a starting spot away to some guy who didn’t earn it just because the guy sucks so bad that we may be able to draft his replacement/end the misery. .. that is a fan mentality and simply not realistic. You think the other 52 players on the final roster want to roll over like sick dogs for the entire year because we didn’t play the best man on purpose?

i agree with you, Jet Nut.

• Upvote 2
17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Always love the idea that there's a NFL HC anywhere who wants to play a young JAG QB over a vet.  

In my opinion he prefers old NFL re-treads until he proves me wrong nothing changes here. 

Shame on Mike Maccagnan for assembling a roster of sh*tty QB's.

Hackenberg?  sh*tty? How about unknown. 

Do you think he will start Darnold if he outright wins the job in camp and pre-season? 

Todd Bowles in my opinion makes some very bad coaching decisions on all angles until that all changes I don't have much faith in him. 

Agree with me LOL who the hell am I in the grand scheme of things I'm nobody. 

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No it is  not silly, not at all. 

TODD BOWLES

Given the situation at hand and the fact that he is dealing with a #3 overall pick/#1 QB in class who has showed great improvement and ability rather than a 4th and 2nd round pair of scrubs...yeah a little silly to assume he’ll act the same

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

In my opinion he prefers old NFL re-treads until he proves me wrong nothing changes here. 

Shame on Mike Maccagnan for assembling a roster of sh*tty QB's.

Hackenberg?  sh*tty? How about unknown. 

Do you think he will start Darnold if he outright wins the job in camp and pre-season? 

Todd Bowles in my opinion makes some very bad coaching decisions on all angles until that all changes I don't have much faith in him. 

Agree with me LOL who the hell am I in the grand scheme of things I'm nobody. 

He's proven you wrong every time he plays, starts, rookies over vets.  He's done it plenty of times other than with 2 scrub QBs.  

That you don't know what a Hack is so you think he should o,at because you don't know?  Coaches who watched him in camp, practices etc knew, he sucked and didn't belong on the field.  Want to blame Bowles then where is Hack playing today to prove Bowles wrong? 

To answer your question yes, if Darnold outplays others, better yet if he's in the running, he starts. 

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Larz said:

Agree, but splitting teddy and Sam quality 1st team reps is not ideal 

The sooner they know if they are going to cut or trade teddy the better 

Worst case scenario is some drawn out battle 

Teddy isn't splitting first-team reps with Darnold, though, he's getting the scraps. This narrative that Teddy is actually in the starting QB picture is media driven, and the Jets are happy to play along in hopes that it drives up his trade value. 

They only have three QBs on the roster, and someone has to play that fourth preseason game. My guess is that's an extended commercial for Teddy Bridgewater's services elsewhere this year. 

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, jamesr said:

He knows what to do so he really needs even less reps this year. Give em to Teddy and Sam.

22 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

What he says and what he does 2 different things. 

EXACTLY what I thought. Reminds me of REX complaining that he needed a Tom Brady.  Yet REX never paid attention to the offense.  Bowles is a buffoon.  I was convinced when we had a 14 point lead at the half against NE and he lets MCG throw the ball.  Yes, a pick, 3 plays later Brady to Gronk, we lose the game by a small margin, decided by the fate of poor decisions by the Cigar store Indian. I believe that was the game of the overturned TD fumble as well.  BOWLES is a BUFFOON.

• Upvote 2
23 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Williams started from day 1.  Lee started from day 1.  Jenkins started from day 1.  Anderson started half the games as a UDFA rookie and played 70% of the snaps. Adams and Maye started all 16 last year.  What young players has he favored old loser NFL re-treads over that haven't sucked?  I think that Brandon Shell is literally the only one with any hope left.  Are you still promoting the idea that the only reason Hackenberg didn't get a shot was because the coach favored old loser NFL re-treads?  Is Gruden the same for preferring Connor Cook and EJ Manuel? 

• Upvote 2
21 hours ago, jamesr said:

I agree. If you recall last year they gave Hack a lot of work in preseason. They definitely wanted to make it happen with Hack. But he just couldn’t get it done. The Jets definitely put the best QB on the field last year as Petty was ahead of Hack and he sucked. I’m sure Darnold will get a lot of preseason opportunity and it will be interesting to see hopefully a big contrast from last year.

• Upvote 2