Help A Sushi N00b Out

Bombdirt

I live in Flyover Country, and not very close to any major metropolitan areas, so needless to say I don't have much experience with sushi. The only type I've ever tried are California rolls, and even though they aren't fresh or anything (I get them from the frozen section of the grocery store), I really like them.*

Anyway, here's my issue: I'd like to try other types of sushi but I don't have regular access to good seafood restaurants so I can't really experiment. I'd be open to making some myself but I'm not sure where to start. Making my own California rolls probably wouldn't be too hard but I don't know where to go after that. I figured I'd come here for suggestions since a lot of you live on the coast or near larger cities and have probably had sushi a million times. Any input or recommendations would be appreciated. 

* - And I do realize that California rolls are like the Cleveland Browns of sushi, but hey, they're good and I don't have much else to work with out here. 

california-rolls-eh-you-must-really-love

Try some sashimi . They aren’t rolled so it’s a lot easier to tell if it’s fresh. Yellow fin tuna, salmon and white fish  couple Crushloves favorites. 

If it’s a good place then things like spider roll and Godzilla rolls are really fun to eat. 

They also got the tempura shrimp roll that is actually deep fried first and can be yummy . 

Honestly my advice is find a good sushi place first! 

17 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Try some sashimi . They aren’t rolled so it’s a lot easier to tell if it’s fresh. Yellow fin tuna, salmon and white fish  couple Crushloves favorites. 

If it’s a good place then things like spider roll and Godzilla rolls are really fun to eat. 

They also got the tempura shrimp roll that is actually deep fried first and can be yummy . 

I have heard of sashimi, and after looking up spider and Godzilla rolls I think I would probably like all three of those. Finding a good sushi spot is the hard part for me, as I don't really have too many options that I know of around me. I might try doing a Google search and see if there's anything within reasonable driving distance. 

Another wrench in the plan is the fact that my wife is deathly allergic to shellfish and tends to avoid seafood places out of safety. 

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

If you are ever in DC hit this Crushlove up and I’ll take you to a place where  you can try 40-50 types in a day all made by a master chef.  All sushi grade sashimi.

Never been to DC but if I ever get out that way you've got yourself a date, mister. 

33 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

If you are ever in DC hit this Crushlove up and I’ll take you to a place where  you can try 40-50 types in a day all made by a master chef.  All sushi grade sashimi.

My daughter is a staffer on the hill and when I visit, she takes  me to The Hamilton where the have happy hour Sushi.  Pretty darned good and the price is great at that time.  Ever try it?   

Pick your favorite fish, whether it's Yellowtail tuna, Halibut, salmon....whatever, and then try the Nigiri which is essentially a small slice of that sushi grade fish over a sticky rice puff.  It's not a roll but it gives the fish a standard accompaniment in the rice.  This is a good way to experiment and determine which types of fish you like.

2404500095_fd221d5e90.jpg

66888cda-8b48-4fc9-974b-7749d7e0fe71.jpg

33 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

My daughter is a staffer on the hill and when I visit, she takes  me to The Hamilton where the have happy hour Sushi.  Pretty darned good and the price is great at that time.  Ever try it?   

Never went for happy hour but I’ve dined there a couple times. Place is outstanding. 

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Pick your favorite fish, whether it's Yellowtail tuna, Halibut, salmon....whatever, and then try the Nigiri which is essentially a small slice of that sushi grade fish over a sticky rice puff.  It's not a roll but it gives the fish a standard accompaniment in the rice.  This is a good way to experiment and determine which types of fish you like.

Just cover it with ketchup like most Americans and it tastes great. :)

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

How do I know what fish is suitable for making sushi? (Probably a dumb question but I am brand new to all of this.) My concern is that I won't be able to get much of anything that's super-fresh or high quality since I live so far inland. 

2 hours ago, GATA-Bot said:

I loveeeeeee sushi 

Try some Philly rolls, Alaska Rolls, any sashimi

Also try spicy mayo

And eel sauce as dipping sauces. 

Eel sauce sounds pretty tasty. I usually like the salty/sweet combo. 

So an Alaska roll is basically like a California roll but with smoked salmon, right? 

1 hour ago, Bombdirt said:

Eel sauce sounds pretty tasty. I usually like the salty/sweet combo. 

So an Alaska roll is basically like a California roll but with smoked salmon, right? 

A combo of both with like a crab sushi roll is so good 

22 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

How do I know what fish is suitable for making sushi? (Probably a dumb question but I am brand new to all of this.) My concern is that I won't be able to get much of anything that's super-fresh or high quality since I live so far inland. 

Just go with the basics if you're trying to make sushi. Salmon, Tuna, Crab. That's the majority of sushi. All of which most grocery stores carry. Honestly if you're trying to make sushi, the rice is what you have to nail down. Good rice, slap some fresh fish on it. You're good to go. 

On 7/8/2018 at 2:02 PM, The Crusher said:

Isn't sashimi cut a little thicker?  I have gone for it a few times, but the texture and width did not appeal to me.  I agree that he should find a good sushi place first.  I never really thought about doing it myself.  In my experience most chefs are crazy and sushi chefs are even crazier.

On 7/8/2018 at 2:16 PM, The Crusher said:

I never got this invite.  Hell, I don't even need the invite, just the name of the place.

On 7/8/2018 at 3:04 PM, jetstream23 said:

+1 on the nigiri

That is what I generally prefer.  Unless it is serious gourmet sh*t, I tend to dip it in the soy sauce/wasabi combo which I guess is the uncouth Japanese version of drowning sh*t in ketchup, but I like it. 

19 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Isn't sashimi cut a little thicker?  I have gone for it a few times, but the texture and width did not appeal to me.  I agree that he should find a good sushi place first.  I never really thought about doing it myself.  In my experience most chefs are crazy and sushi chefs are even crazier.

I never got this invite.  Hell, I don't even need the invite, just the name of the place.

+1 on the nigiri

That is what I generally prefer.  Unless it is serious gourmet sh*t, I tend to dip it in the soy sauce/wasabi combo which I guess is the uncouth Japanese version of drowning sh*t in ketchup, but I like it. 

Little hack you put a small dab of wasabi, and some spicy mayo between the fish and and rice in the sashimi. Then, dip it in Soy ... you’ll thank me later. 

Also I usually just Yelp places even when I go to DC or areas I’m not familiar with 

On 7/8/2018 at 1:53 PM, Bombdirt said:

I live in Flyover Country, and not very close to any major metropolitan areas, so needless to say I don't have much experience with sushi. The only type I've ever tried are California rolls, and even though they aren't fresh or anything (I get them from the frozen section of the grocery store), I really like them.*

Anyway, here's my issue: I'd like to try other types of sushi but I don't have regular access to good seafood restaurants so I can't really experiment. I'd be open to making some myself but I'm not sure where to start. Making my own California rolls probably wouldn't be too hard but I don't know where to go after that. I figured I'd come here for suggestions since a lot of you live on the coast or near larger cities and have probably had sushi a million times. Any input or recommendations would be appreciated. 

* - And I do realize that California rolls are like the Cleveland Browns of sushi, but hey, they're good and I don't have much else to work with out here. 

california-rolls-eh-you-must-really-love

chicago should have some decent sushi places.

48 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

+1 on the nigiri

Torai.. On the Hill. Fantastic place.

Omakase style.

Next time you are on vacation in or near a major city find a Zagat rated Japanese place.

When you arrive tell the host / hostess you wish to dine Omakase style

The sushi chef will take you on a sushi / sashimi trip which you will never forget.

You will leave so happy and knowing what your favorites are.

ps I avoid white fish and salmon a search will let you know why.

our go to Omakase place in the city is Sasabune on 73rd between York and First.   hard to get folks to go way east side for dinner but we really like it.

it's like a hole in the wall but the sushi is just wonderful.  pricey so we only do it once a quarter  (about 300 dollars for dinner).  

On 7/8/2018 at 2:02 PM, The Crusher said:

Dont eat escolar. Look it up its a bottom feeder that gives human gastrointestinal distress. Stick with Tuna, Salmon, and my favorite, Hamachi (Yellowtail). Octopus and conch are good too.

Archived