Jump to content
I Love the Jets

Is there a sunny side and a shady side at MetLife?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

We want to go to the October 21 game vs the Vikings.  Google says the average NYC high in October is 65 degrees.

So...... I think we want seats in the sun. Which side is that? Home side or visitor side?

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I remember correctly the sunnier sections are on the Jets side of the field. The last sections to lose the sun in the fall are generally from approx 104 (and 204, 304 etc) to 116/216/316 etc. The higher up you sit the more sun you'll get, but the windier it is. The lower bowl is generally less windy (and always feels about 10 degrees warmer than outside).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SAR I said:

cK7Q43A.jpg

For the typical 1pm game, this is the sun/shade line.  Note that the shade begins around 11AM in the Verizon corner and works its way to that line by the 3rd quarter.

You don't want to attend September or October games in the sunny side of the stadium.  Not only will you be blinded by the sun and struggling to see the game through sunglasses but you will get a July caliber sunburn.  You want shade.  Better to wear a light hoodie and see the game then to wear a t-shirt and be blinded and burned.

The only way to guarantee shade is to be in one of the Verizon seats.

SAR I

 

Wonder how much those seats in the Orange cost.(123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Wonder how much those seats in the Orange cost.(123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128)

$115 per game and a $4,000 PSL.

SAR I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SnackExchange said:

The sunny side, is Sam Darnold. The shady side, is now a thing of the past. 

The sunny side is overrated, the shady side is where it's at.

Don't know if it's global warming or what, but games don't get c-c-c-cold enough for the sun to make a damns worth of difference until December 15.  And if we're in contention and there is a December or January game to attend, they're on national TV at 9PM and the sun isn't a factor anyway.

Go for shade.  Squinting in sunglasses is no way to watch a Jets game from September to December.

SAR I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, I Love the Jets said:

We want to go to the October 21 game vs the Vikings.  Google says the average NYC high in October is 65 degrees.

So...... I think we want seats in the sun. Which side is that? Home side or visitor side?

Thank you!

home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ICL7nOr.jpg

Had this game on the DVR, October 20 at around 2:30 in the afternoon.  Verizon corner is lower right and the sun is behind it, same orientation as the seating chart I posted earlier, sun extends a bit further towards the Pepsi corner than I recalled. 

For a January game you might regret a shady seat; not so for October.

SAR I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, I Love the Jets said:

We want to go to the October 21 game vs the Vikings.  Google says the average NYC high in October is 65 degrees.

So...... I think we want seats in the sun. Which side is that? Home side or visitor side?

Thank you!

I used to have season tickets and having the sun was an important part of my selection.  Section 109 gives you the sunshine and view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

I used to have season tickets and having the sun was an important part of my selection.  Section 109 gives you the sunshine and view.

Interesting, I decided to get mine in the orange section because i figured for the majority of games the sunny side would be too hot. Id rather over dress to keep warm if necessary I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, kels1327 said:

Interesting, I decided to get mine in the orange section because i figured for the majority of games the sunny side would be too hot. Id rather over dress to keep warm if necessary I guess. 

People make too big a deal over the warmth when it’s the glare that’s the issue. 

And yes, there are more games where the sun is uncomfortably hot than the shade is uncomfortably cold.  

SAR I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to agree with SAR on this one (going to need a long cold shower).  I sit in 204 and in September the games are sometimes (though not often) just unbearably hot. One game last year, I think it was Miami on 9/24, it was like 90 degrees so probably over 100 in our seats in the sun. We abandoned ship and sat in the shade in 123.  Many many others did the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SAR I said:

ICL7nOr.jpg

Had this game on the DVR, October 20 at around 2:30 in the afternoon.  Verizon corner is lower right and the sun is behind it, same orientation as the seating chart I posted earlier, sun extends a bit further towards the Pepsi corner than I recalled. 

For a January game you might regret a shady seat; not so for October.

SAR I

At least we know this photo has not been doctored.  Look at the score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2018 at 9:43 AM, Beerfish said:

At least we know this photo has not been doctored.  Look at the score.

kyVcxWI.jpg

Qc8k5xH.jpg

bk788Lt.jpg

If I told you Geno Smith led us back to win this game in OT 30-27 would you believe me?

Top Image:  Start of 3rd Quarter, around 2:40

Middle Image:  Sun annoying paying customers, around 3:50

Bottom Image:  Start of OT, what a 4:15 kickoff would look like.

SAR I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The jets have one home game in September. The next home game isn’t till October 7th. If you guys think October in New Jersey is “smoking hot” I don’t know where I been living the last 30 something years. Go with the sunny seats 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SAR I said:

The sunny side is overrated, the shady side is where it's at.

Don't know if it's global warming or what, but games don't get c-c-c-cold enough for the sun to make a damns worth of difference until December 15.  And if we're in contention and there is a December or January game to attend, they're on national TV at 9PM and the sun isn't a factor anyway.

Go for shade.  Squinting in sunglasses is no way to watch a Jets game from September to December.

SAR I

not being able to actually see the games has been a plus for the sunny side the last few years.

>>>>Squinting in sunglasses is no way to watch a Jets game from September to December.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

The jets have one home game in September. The next home game isn’t till October 7th. If you guys think October in New Jersey is “smoking hot” I don’t know where I been living the last 30 something years. Go with the sunny seats

You haven't been living in the Meadowlands the last 30 years.  If it says 70 degrees on the thermometer at kickoff, that means it's 70 in the shady side and 85 in the sunny side.  And even if the temperature is 75 or 70 in the sun you can't see from the glare and you'll get a terrible sunburn.

Hey, it's no skin off my nose, but it'll be skin off the OP's nose that's for sure.

SAR I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

The jets have one home game in September. The next home game isn’t till October 7th. If you guys think October in New Jersey is “smoking hot” I don’t know where I been living the last 30 something years. Go with the sunny seats 

 

The last few October’s have been very warm around these parts, it was 90 degrees last year at the home opener, and there was about 15 people in their seats on the sunny side club areas.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

The last few October’s have been very warm around these parts, it was 90 degrees last year at the home opener, and there was about 15 people in their seats on the sunny side club areas.  

SAR is correct - the sunny side is tough to see and it gets hot.  for a game in sep/oct i would go for shady side.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SAR I said:

kyVcxWI.jpg

Qc8k5xH.jpg

bk788Lt.jpg

If I told you Geno Smith led us back to win this game in OT 30-27 would you believe me?

Top Image:  Start of 3rd Quarter, around 3:15

Middle Image:  Sun annoying paying customers, around 3:50

Bottom Image:  Start of OT, what a 4:15 kickoff would look like.

SAR I

Not a STH but I was at the game and remember it well. Went to grab beers dejected at half, still in line as the 3Q starts, get my beer and as I’m picking it up and walking away, the entire stadium comes to life. 

Antonio Allen pick 6 off brady*

This was also the game where the pats were (correctly) called for a penalty on the Jets game tying FG attempt in the closing seconds to force OT.

Lastly, I agree. Forget the warm/cold stuff. If the sun is out and you’re in the sunny section, you’ll have paid money to enter the stadium and drink $12 buds while missing the game due to sun-blindness. Happened to my bro and I in ‘08 when we went to watch Favre against the Bengals, and ended up with memories of the sun.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

The jets have one home game in September. The next home game isn’t till October 7th. If you guys think October in New Jersey is “smoking hot” I don’t know where I been living the last 30 something years. Go with the sunny seats 

 

it was hot as hell in many October games my friend.  The sunny side of the stadium can suck.  I'll take the shady side every Sunday. DOn't like the heat of September/early October and don't like the squinting and glare on any date that you get on the jets side of the stadium.  The only time the home side is any good is when it's cloudy or at night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Dcat said:

it was hot as hell in many October games my friend.  The sunny side of the stadium can suck.  I'll take the shady side every Sunday. DOn't like the heat of September/early October and don't like the squinting and glare on any date that you get on the jets side of the stadium.  The only time the home side is any good is when it's cloudy or at night.

daLPcET.jpg

GD2XkdZ.jpg

More proof, (top photo) is from last year's Jags game on October 1 where the high temperature was only 70 degrees but here is a section in the sun in t-shirts sweating their butts off, probably felt like 85, look at the people squinting, look at the people using their white-out towels as makeshift shade support.  Meanwhile it's 65 degrees in the shade and I'm wearing a hoodie and a pair of shorts, comfy as can be in my section (bottom photo taken at 12:30).

The sunny sections are overrated for warmth as it can only apply to perhaps 2 games per season and that's only if it's really frigid in early December which rarely happens; if the Jets are in contention in the NY market their late December and January games will be flexed to 4pm or 8pm and all playoff games happen at night as well.  If the Jets aren't in contention and it's late December, well, no one needs seats in the sun on their couch.

What the sunny sections aren't overrated for is glare and you can keep that thank you.  Squinting for 4 straight hours isn't fun.

SAR I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SAR I said:

You haven't been living in the Meadowlands the last 30 years.  If it says 70 degrees on the thermometer at kickoff, that means it's 70 in the shady side and 85 in the sunny side.  And even if the temperature is 75 or 70 in the sun you can't see from the glare and you'll get a terrible sunburn.

Hey, it's no skin off my nose, but it'll be skin off the OP's nose that's for sure.

SAR I

6 of 8 games are mid October through late December. Remind me when the October games come around to post the temp. You guys crack me up. It’s 67 degrease! Im dying!!!! 😂 can tell you guys never felt real heat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

6 of 8 games are mid October through late December. Remind me when the October games come around to post the temp. You guys crack me up. It’s 67 degrease! Im dying!!!! 😂 can tell you guys never felt real heat

SD6uStY.jpg

3a8zMSA.jpg

1IK5Tj1.jpg

These were the last two meaningful games the Jets played at home in December 2015.

Top one is December 6 vs. the Giants, it was 52 degrees which was about 65 in the sun.

Second one is December 27 vs. the Patriots, it was 58 degrees which would have been about 70 if the sun were out.

I was at both games on the shady side in a hoodie and a pair of jeans.  I haven't worn a ski hat or a pair of gloves at a Jets game since I don't remember.

Merry Christmas.  Maybe if you write Santa asking for boots and a scarf he will do the right thing and buy you sunglasses and sunscreen.

SAR I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Y'all a bunch of suckas. Every week, 70 degrees in my house, 70" flat screen, every snack, every drink, my homies chillin with me. No crowds, no fat smelly drunk men hanging over me fighting for $15 warm, water'd down beers. No sunny side, no shady side, all the good side. My latest anthem playin in the background right up till kickoff, straight up pimp'n! How dat @RutgersJetFan? Wat Wat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2018 at 5:54 PM, SAR I said:

Don't know if it's global warming or what, but games don't get c-c-c-cold enough for the sun to make a damns worth of difference until December 15. 

It’s because the sun warms the entire earth, not just the parts that the light hits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Websites, SEO & Social Media

Mile Social

Get Winning Picks

×