McCown says Darnold is the right QB for the job

UnknownJetFan

McCown says Darnold is the right QB for the job. From his lips to God's ears.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/08/josh-mccown-we-have-the-right-guy-in-sam-darnold/

Josh McCown: We have the “right guy” in Sam Darnold

Posted by Josh Alper on July 8, 2018, 5:44 PM EDT
ap_18124660721596-e1525797524215.jpg?w=5
AP

Josh McCown is one of the many quarterbacks to start for the Jets as they’ve looked for long-term success at the position, but it doesn’t sound like he thinks the team will have to continue searching.

McCown said at minicamp in June that rookie Sam Darnold was getting better every day and he continued to drop praise on his younger teammate during an interview on Sirius XM NFL Radio this weekend.

“With Sam, we have the right guy, he’s wired the right way, he loves the game, he asks the right questions and he’s willing to work … That’s the foundation, you have to have that,” McCown said.

Darnold is set to start training camp as the No. 3 man on the depth chart behind McCown and Teddy Bridgewater, but neither head coach Todd Bowles nor offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates has been reluctant to say that could change if Darnold impresses this summer. With camp starting on July 29, it won’t be too much longer before we start to find out if McCown’s right about the rookie.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'd be real f#cking awkward if he said he wasn't the right guy. I'd love one of these summer feel good articles to be written with antonymic verbs and adjectives of what's actually used.

“With Sam, we have the wrong guy, he’s wired the wrong way, he hates the game, he asks the incorrect questions and he’s unwilling to work …" 

1 minute ago, Tony MaC said:

It'd be real f#cking awkward if he said he wasn't the right guy. I'd love one of these summer feel good articles to be written with antonymic verbs and adjectives of what's actually used.

“With Sam, we have the wrong guy, he’s wired the wrong way, he hates the game, he asks the incorrect questions and he’s unwilling to work …" 

If that’s the case, he probably just wouldn’t of said anything nearly as glowing. You can pick out sentences and determine if they are genuine or not.

someone who only half way means it won’t go out of their way to give the extra courteous content.

9 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

To put your mind at ease one need only go back to see if folks were saying these things say about Hackenberg.......

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

If that’s the case, he probably just wouldn’t of said anything nearly as glowing. You can pick out sentences and determine if they are genuine or not.

someone who only half way means it won’t go out of their way to give the extra courteous content.

Well, yeah, of course he's keep it to himself in reality. I just think it's be really funny to see a write up that was just as glowingly negative as some of these things are positive. Just literally the exact opposite from the perspective of these same sources as if they were talking like Bizarro superman.

"I'm obviously really happy we lost. Next time I'm gonna give it 0% out there on the field."

Just now, Tony MaC said:

Well, yeah, of course he's keep it to himself in reality. I just think it's be really funny to see a write up that was just as glowingly negative as some of these things are positive. Just literally the exact opposite from the perspective of these same sources as if they were talking like Bizarro superman.

"I'm obviously really happy we lost. Next time I'm gonna give it 0% out there on the field."

Sounds like a Muhammad Wilkerson quote!

50 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

It's better than your QBs wiping boogers on each other. 

Well, one thing that has been consistent with Sam, from high school when he started at QB due to injury of the starter, to the scout team at USC, the buzz about Sam and his abilities were glowing from his teammates and coaches, he gave the starting defense fits as a true freshman.

He didn't disappoint.  Sam is young, and relatively new to the QB position, so give him time.  

2 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

Us poor Jet fans are so conditioned to hate our own media that always seem to looking for that one story that exemplifies why the Jets are the worst professional sports franchise in the entire history of sport, and now we have this Sam Darnold thing going on and there’s really going to have to be some sort of adjustment period, I’m thinking. 

2 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

McCown says Darnold is the right QB for the job. From his lips to God's ears.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/08/josh-mccown-we-have-the-right-guy-in-sam-darnold/

Josh McCown: We have the “right guy” in Sam Darnold

Posted by Josh Alper on July 8, 2018, 5:44 PM EDT
ap_18124660721596-e1525797524215.jpg?w=5
AP

Josh McCown is one of the many quarterbacks to start for the Jets as they’ve looked for long-term success at the position, but it doesn’t sound like he thinks the team will have to continue searching.

McCown said at minicamp in June that rookie Sam Darnold was getting better every day and he continued to drop praise on his younger teammate during an interview on Sirius XM NFL Radio this weekend.

“With Sam, we have the right guy, he’s wired the right way, he loves the game, he asks the right questions and he’s willing to work … That’s the foundation, you have to have that,” McCown said.

Darnold is set to start training camp as the No. 3 man on the depth chart behind McCown and Teddy Bridgewater, but neither head coach Todd Bowles nor offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates has been reluctant to say that could change if Darnold impresses this summer. With camp starting on July 29, it won’t be too much longer before we start to find out if McCown’s right about the rookie.

McCown is the Anti-Fitzpatrick 

5 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

If that's what he felt he would never say it.  He would the canned it's early, seems good so far, I knew nothing too at this point type answer

If he felt like Darnold was not doing well he would be more likely to redirect the question by answering about himself or the offense as a whole. It's highly likely McCown becomes a qb coach after he retired as a player. The only benefit he gets out of hanging his hat on a rookie playing below his draft spot is hoping the Jets keep him as a coach and he doesn't think any other team would want him as a coach. 

3 hours ago, roscoeword said:

I remember fitzpatric sending lots of time, beyond the call of duty, with petty, so it's not really true that fitz didnt try to tutor the young'ins. 

Yes. He couldn’t come back fast enough to help the young guys along. 

12 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

Hackenberg

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

If that's what he felt he would never say it.  He would the canned it's early, seems good so far, I knew nothing too at this point type answer

Exactly ... "hard worker, lots to learn, adjustment period, it's tough for a rookie etc etc". 

5 hours ago, roscoeword said:

I remember fitzpatric sending lots of time, beyond the call of duty, with petty, so it's not really true that fitz didnt try to tutor the young'ins. 

Yeah he says all the right things then he Tonya Harding's you.

It Fitz is your backup you may want to just take the year off. 

11 hours ago, slats said:

Us poor Jet fans are so conditioned to hate our own media that always seem to looking for that one story that exemplifies why the Jets are the worst professional sports franchise in the entire history of sport, and now we have this Sam Darnold thing going on and there’s really going to have to be some sort of adjustment period, I’m thinking. 

Just look at the years-long seizure the Pats beat guys went through when the Pats got good. Ron Borges and Dan Shaughnessy are still skeptics to this very day

44 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

American male: God, it’d be great if I had a job where I could make a lot of money and do no work and have no pressure. How can I make that happen? 

America: 

AA214B07-6179-4697-9996-F0B306A5540C.jpeg

There’s a more appropriate pic for this.

darnold-hansen.png?w=1000&h=509&crop=1

3SHARES
 TWEET
 EMAIL

Every great quarterback-wide receiver duo has to start from scratch somewhere. The Jets are hoping they have one forming out west.

Rookie quarterback Sam Darnold and second-year wideout Chad Hansen are getting to know each other well. The two California natives were recently seen working out together. Their session made it to Instagram.

p?c1=7&c2=6921732&c3=100

Hansen, a fourth-round selection last year, mostly went by the wayside as a rookie, though he did earn more playing time toward the end of the season. Despite his lack of production, the wide receiver has turned heads this offseason. In hopes of challenging some of the Jets’ new acquisitions for time on the field, Hansen looks to have the right idea preparing with the future shot-caller.

The third-overall pick, it’s not yet clear what Darnold’s role will be in 2018. He’s the future of the franchise, but it remains to be seen if he’ll start right away or spend time learning from the bench. He’ll get a legitimate crack at the job, though — his work ethic and instincts have garnered nothing but praise.

After sifting through all of the hyperbole and canned answers, even the most pessimistic fan can't deny that all the positive chatter we've been hearing about Darnold just FEELS different than any young QB that's marched through Florham Park in a long time.  For the first time in many moons, I think we can legitimately say that there's "hope."

15 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

True, but he could just say nothing.

It's a fluff piece, but it's nice to hear.

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Read every on record quote from Jets players and coaches from the past two years about Christian Hackenberg. If Darnold was struggling you'd be seeing those same quotes about him.

By the way, McCown's quote in the OP sounds more like it came from a coach than it does a teammate who plays the same position as the player being discussed. They never hired a QB coach because McCown is the QB coach. He just also happens to be a backup QB as well.

Archived