Brandon Browner Charged with Attempted Murder

CanadaSteve

My apologies to Hackenberg; I do not have any proof of an attempted body, so take this with a grain of salt.

I wonder if its just easier for the police, and the NFL, that all the hardened criminals all either play for, or use to play for, the Patriots.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000939916/article/brandon-browner-charged-with-attempted-murder

Former NFL cornerback Brandon Browner was charged with attempted murder and three other felonies Tuesday after he allegedly assaulted a woman during a home break-in in California on Sunday.

The Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office also charged Browner with two misdemeanors in its court filing, according to a release from the La Verne Police Dept. He is scheduled to be arraigned in Pomona Superior Court on Tuesday, according to police.

La Verne Police Dept. officers responded to a call at 10:07 a.m. PT Sunday regarding a man who broke into a residence through a locked window. The victim identified Browner as the suspect and accused him of forcing her back into her residence before fleeing the scene.

Browner, 33, is accused of physically harming and making threats against the victim while in the residence. Browner also was accused of stealing a Rolex watch valued at approximately $20,000 from the victim.

In addition to attempted murder, Browner is facing charges of robbery, burglary, false imprisonment and two counts of child endangerment.

Police located Browner within hours of the incident and he was taken into custody without incident.

Browner and the victim had a previous relationship together and he had previously been arrested for domestic violence, according to police.

Browner last played in the NFL in 2016 as a member of the Seattle Seahawks. He also spent time with the New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints and Denver Broncos, as well as four seasons with the Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League during a professional career that spanned 11 seasons. Browner played in the American Flag Football League as part of the Roadrunners, participating in his last game with the team on Saturday night in Kennesaw, Georgia.

I don't know if it's just that there's a lot more of them, but man, NFL players seem like the biggest neanderthals out of all the professional athletes.  Beating animals to death, knocking out women cold, throwing women onto a pile of guns, driving the wrong way in the Lincoln Tunnel, etc.

9 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

I don't know if it's just that there's a lot more of them, but man, NFL players seem like the biggest neanderthals out of all the professional athletes.  Beating animals to death, knocking out women cold, throwing women onto a pile of guns, driving the wrong way in the Lincoln Tunnel, etc.

They grow up in a culture where, even though it's a game, violence is glorified and you are in fact rewarded for it.  And I'm sure the steroids don't help much either (not saying everyone's on them but remember when DLinemen weighed 250 lbs?).

4 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

They grow up in a culture where, even though it's a game, violence is glorified and you are in fact rewarded for it.  And I'm sure the steroids don't help much either (not saying everyone's on them but remember when DLinemen weighed 250 lbs?).

Hockey, where straight up fist fighting is allowed, doesn't have anywhere near the problems that the NFL has off the field/ice. 

9 hours ago, Jet9 said:

Hockey, where straight up fist fighting is allowed, doesn't have anywhere near the problems that the NFL has off the field/ice. 

Some of it could relate to entitlement. All pro athletes are entitled to some extent, but the ball washing that football players receive in major college programs is something else. I can’t imagine hockey players getting that level of worship, even in Canada.

4 hours ago, jgb said:

Some of it could relate to entitlement. All pro athletes are entitled to some extent, but the ball washing that football players receive in major college programs is something else. I can’t imagine hockey players getting that level of worship, even in Canada.

There isn't the level of worship, but the kids are typically from entitled families, as hockey is a VERY expensive sport to have your kid in.  They are also very 'clicky,' and tend to be the big dicks in the school.  My brother in law's company sided the 'retirement' home for Chris Pronger.  When it came time to pay he told him he should just keep the cheque as the signature would be worth more in a few years than the payment for the siding.  I have found the arrogance of the players to be pretty high, from teens right through to the pros. Used to serve many of them myself at the Banff Springs Hotel...

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

There isn't the level of worship, but the kids are typically from entitled families, as hockey is a VERY expensive sport to have your kid in.  They are also very 'clicky,' and tend to be the big dicks in the school.  My brother in law's company sided the 'retirement' home for Chris Pronger.  When it came time to pay he told him he should just keep the cheque as the signature would be worth more in a few years than the payment for the siding.  I have found the arrogance of the players to be pretty high, from teens right through to the pros. Used to serve many of them myself at the Banff Springs Hotel...

LOL

Well Canadians are pretty cheap to begin with, ask any server in Florida. :)

16 hours ago, Jet9 said:

Fighting in hockey is only a thing in the NHL and it's minor leagues.  Most players didn't grow up doing that.

20 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Ah, so you blame the "culture".  No, its more like, some people who are already violent choose to play a violent game.  They were "at risk" long before they suited up to play the game.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ah, so you blame the "culture".  No, its more like, some people who are already violent choose to play a violent game.  They were "at risk" long before they suited up to play the game.

Not solely "blaming" the culture.  But I would respectfully suggest that it might reinforce a person's violent inclinations by rewarding him with high salaries, stardom, adulation, etc...

4 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Not solely "blaming" the culture.  But I would respectfully suggest that it might reinforce a person's violent inclinations by rewarding him with high salaries, stardom, adulation, etc...

It doesn't help, sure, but every NFL team has at least 2 sociopaths on it, and they were like that long before they arrived in the league.  Aaron Hernandez was threatening Wes Welker's life as a rookie.  The league didn't make him a murderer. 

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It doesn't help, sure, but every NFL team has at least 2 sociopaths on it, and they were like that long before they arrived in the league.  Aaron Hernandez was threatening Wes Welker's life as a rookie.  The league didn't make him a murderer. 

Agreed about the league.  But during his murder trial it came out that Florida helped cover up several violent incidents that Hernandez was involved with during college and who knows about what he did in High School.  It might help if some of these coaches had the fortitude to say you can't act like an animal and play on my team.  Maybe some behavioral adjustments might result as they grew older.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Agreed about the league.  But during his murder trial it came out that Florida helped cover up several violent incidents that Hernandez was involved with during college and who knows about what he did in High School.  It might help if some of these coaches had the fortitude to say you can't act like an animal and play on my team.  Maybe some behavioral adjustments might result as they grew older. 

Kick him off the team and he'll just become a criminal that much quicker.  Not saying they should have kept him around or helped cover up his "incidents" just because he was talented, but I don't think a coach stepping in would have helped him.  A therapist and meds, maybe, but no coach was going to "fix" him or "set him straight". 

Coaches can only be "second Dads" to guys who are not inherently evil. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Kick him off the team and he'll just become a criminal that much quicker.  Not saying they should have kept him around or helped cover up his "incidents" just because he was talented, but I don't think a coach stepping in would have helped him.  A therapist and meds, maybe, but no coach was going to "fix" him or "set him straight". 

Coaches can only be "second Dads" to guys who are not inherently evil. 

You are probably right.  Some people are just sick and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

18 hours ago, Jet9 said:

Well not so fast there Beavis. I remember the last time Pro Hockey players were allowed to play in the Olympics. Their behavior was so bad that they were called an embarrassment.

Team USA makes ugly exit Commentary: American NHL players trash their Olympic Village quarters and their image.

February 20, 1998|By Ken Rosenthal | Ken Rosenthal,SUN COLUMNIST

NAGANO, Japan -- Maybe next time, the U.S. men's ice hockey professionals should just stay home.

They've certainly done their best to ruin the first Olympic tournament to include National Hockey League players, an international breakthrough for the sport.

After their elimination by the Czech Republic, the Americans capped off a week of questionable conduct and embarrassing play by trashing their quarters in the Olympic Village, U.S. Olympic Committee officials said.

pixel.gif
pixel.gif

In 1980, ABC's Al Michaels shouted, "Do you believe in miracles?" when the U.S. team, then composed of amateurs, defeated the former Soviet Union on its way to the gold medal.

The '98 team prompts another question:

Do you believe in manners?

USOC officials said players broke 10 to 12 chairs, damaged

ADVERTISEMENT

two apartments with fire extinguishers they activated, and tossed an extinguisher from the fifth floor into a courtyard.

USOC officials said the incidents occurred at 4 a.m. yesterday Nagano time. Paul George, head of the U.S. delegation, estimated the damages at approximately $1,000. David Ogrean, executive director of USA Hockey, said "only a handful" of players were involved.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, vice president Brian Burke and players union head Bob Goodenow viewed the damage to the village, USOC executive director Dick Schultz said.

"I can say that they were disturbed and apologetic to our chief of mission and our delegation," Schultz said.

"Obviously, such conduct is unacceptable and will not be tolerated," Bettman said.

USA Hockey and the NHL offered to pay the cost of repairs. USOC officials will meet with Nagano organizers today to assess the damages.

Meanwhile, Japanese police are investigating whether an injury to Canadian bobsledder Matthew Hindle from broken glass was caused by U.S. misconduct.

Hindle reportedly was struck by a glass pane that had been knocked out of a sixth-floor room occupied by members of the U.S. delegation, but USOC officials said the hockey players were staying on the fifth floor.

The officials, however, made no secret of their displeasure with the American NHL stars.

"Not only are we disturbed that this happened for many reasons, but I am particularly unhappy that this incident disturbed other U.S. athletes who were sleeping and preparing for their events," USOC president Bill Hybl said.

How selfish can you get?

How stupid?

The U.S. women's ice hockey team produced the feel-good American story of the Olympics, winning the gold medal with a dramatic victory over Canada.

The U.S. men provided the obligatory ugly-American angle, acting like frat boys on the greatest international stage of all.

They made a big deal out of staying in the village, gracing everyone with their presence.

Thanks for coming, guys.

"I'm really upset that all this stuff is happening, that people would think we were all hammered and destroy furniture and that we don't care about the Olympics. That's not true," U.S. forward Doug Weight told the San Jose (Calif.) Mercury News.

Team USA was eliminated by its 4-1 loss to the Czechs Wednesday. The Americans were expected to contend for at least a silver.

"We were really ticked off that we lost that game," Weight said. "That night after the game, a bunch of us and our wives and families were taken to a karaoke restaurant. We had a great time, singing and drinking a few beers.

pixel.gif

"We got back to the village real late, and we probably were too loud. Some guys were wrestling and stuff, but that's it. I know nothing about broken windows or anything like that.

"As for the broken chairs, we're big guys and the chairs aren't real strong and some of them had been broken since we got here just from sitting on them to play cards. We weren't throwing furniture."

USOC spokesman Mike Moran said Weight's claims about the players' weights were, in essence, weightless. "I don't believe they all were splintered by big guys," he said.

Seriously, who knows what to believe from Team USA anymore?

Several U.S. players dismissed reports that they had partied excessively in Nagano, but reporters spotted them out at 4 a.m. after their only victory, over Belarus.

Forward Brett Hull even put his dedication on display for Baltimore's WJZ-TV at a night spot, turning the camera on himself.

Hull, however, said he was in his bed at 8 p.m. eight of his 10 nights in Nagano.

"It was almost ridiculous the amount of time I spent just listening to my CD player and doing crossword puzzles on my bed," he said.

Crossword puzzles?

Here's a clue for the clueless:

Seven letters for Olympic embarrassment.

T-E-A-M U-S-A.

"Players are going to have fun and do whatever they like to do," forward Mike Modano said. "If the players play well, everyone forgets about it. If you lose, people will use that as an opportunity to pick at players."

They came, they lost, they trashed.

Pick away.

If the NHL isn't furious with the Americans, it should be.

The league interrupted its season for 17 days to allow its players to compete in the Olympics. Six teams featured strong NHL contingents, including semifinalists Canada, the Czech Republic, Finland and Russia.

NHL commissioner Bettman said league officials believed any of those teams could win the gold medal. But a strong showing by Team USA would have stoked interest in the United States, where the NHL is expanding rapidly.

Bettman acknowledged that the team's early elimination will reduce the U.S. television audience. The U.S.-Canada men's game, televised live at 11: 45 p.m. EST Sunday, received the highest ratings of any hockey broadcast in the 1990s.

The American players had a special responsibility to the league, and responded by trouncing the snowboarders for the stupid-Olympic-tricks gold medal.

Next time, just stay home.

Pub Date: 2/20/98

18 hours ago, Jet9 said:

Duh, mostly Canucks playing...nicest people on the planet.

3 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Well not so fast there Beavis. I remember the last time Pro Hockey players were allowed to play in the Olympics. Their behavior was so bad that they were called an embarrassment.

Team USA makes ugly exit Commentary: American NHL players trash their Olympic Village quarters and their image.

NAGANO, Japan -- Maybe next time, the U.S. men's ice hockey professionals should just stay home.

They've certainly done their best to ruin the first Olympic tournament to include National Hockey League players, an international breakthrough for the sport.

After their elimination by the Czech Republic, the Americans capped off a week of questionable conduct and embarrassing play by trashing their quarters in the Olympic Village, U.S. Olympic Committee officials said.

pixel.gif
pixel.gif

In 1980, ABC's Al Michaels shouted, "Do you believe in miracles?" when the U.S. team, then composed of amateurs, defeated the former Soviet Union on its way to the gold medal.

ADVERTISEMENT

two apartments with fire extinguishers they activated, and tossed an extinguisher from the fifth floor into a courtyard.

USOC officials said the incidents occurred at 4 a.m. yesterday Nagano time. Paul George, head of the U.S. delegation, estimated the damages at approximately $1,000. David Ogrean, executive director of USA Hockey, said "only a handful" of players were involved.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, vice president Brian Burke and players union head Bob Goodenow viewed the damage to the village, USOC executive director Dick Schultz said.

"I can say that they were disturbed and apologetic to our chief of mission and our delegation," Schultz said.

"Obviously, such conduct is unacceptable and will not be tolerated," Bettman said.

USA Hockey and the NHL offered to pay the cost of repairs. USOC officials will meet with Nagano organizers today to assess the damages.

Meanwhile, Japanese police are investigating whether an injury to Canadian bobsledder Matthew Hindle from broken glass was caused by U.S. misconduct.

Hindle reportedly was struck by a glass pane that had been knocked out of a sixth-floor room occupied by members of the U.S. delegation, but USOC officials said the hockey players were staying on the fifth floor.

The officials, however, made no secret of their displeasure with the American NHL stars.

"Not only are we disturbed that this happened for many reasons, but I am particularly unhappy that this incident disturbed other U.S. athletes who were sleeping and preparing for their events," USOC president Bill Hybl said.

How selfish can you get?

How stupid?

The U.S. women's ice hockey team produced the feel-good American story of the Olympics, winning the gold medal with a dramatic victory over Canada.

The U.S. men provided the obligatory ugly-American angle, acting like frat boys on the greatest international stage of all.

They made a big deal out of staying in the village, gracing everyone with their presence.

Thanks for coming, guys.

"I'm really upset that all this stuff is happening, that people would think we were all hammered and destroy furniture and that we don't care about the Olympics. That's not true," U.S. forward Doug Weight told the San Jose (Calif.) Mercury News.

Team USA was eliminated by its 4-1 loss to the Czechs Wednesday. The Americans were expected to contend for at least a silver.

"We were really ticked off that we lost that game," Weight said. "That night after the game, a bunch of us and our wives and families were taken to a karaoke restaurant. We had a great time, singing and drinking a few beers.

pixel.gif

"We got back to the village real late, and we probably were too loud. Some guys were wrestling and stuff, but that's it. I know nothing about broken windows or anything like that.

"As for the broken chairs, we're big guys and the chairs aren't real strong and some of them had been broken since we got here just from sitting on them to play cards. We weren't throwing furniture."

USOC spokesman Mike Moran said Weight's claims about the players' weights were, in essence, weightless. "I don't believe they all were splintered by big guys," he said.

Several U.S. players dismissed reports that they had partied excessively in Nagano, but reporters spotted them out at 4 a.m. after their only victory, over Belarus.

Forward Brett Hull even put his dedication on display for Baltimore's WJZ-TV at a night spot, turning the camera on himself.

Hull, however, said he was in his bed at 8 p.m. eight of his 10 nights in Nagano.

"It was almost ridiculous the amount of time I spent just listening to my CD player and doing crossword puzzles on my bed," he said.

Crossword puzzles?

T-E-A-M U-S-A.

"Players are going to have fun and do whatever they like to do," forward Mike Modano said. "If the players play well, everyone forgets about it. If you lose, people will use that as an opportunity to pick at players."

Pick away.

The league interrupted its season for 17 days to allow its players to compete in the Olympics. Six teams featured strong NHL contingents, including semifinalists Canada, the Czech Republic, Finland and Russia.

NHL commissioner Bettman said league officials believed any of those teams could win the gold medal. But a strong showing by Team USA would have stoked interest in the United States, where the NHL is expanding rapidly.

Bettman acknowledged that the team's early elimination will reduce the U.S. television audience. The U.S.-Canada men's game, televised live at 11: 45 p.m. EST Sunday, received the highest ratings of any hockey broadcast in the 1990s.

The American players had a special responsibility to the league, and responded by trouncing the snowboarders for the stupid-Olympic-tricks gold medal.

Um, 1998 was not the last time the American pros played in the Olympics. This past Olympics was the first time they DIDNT play since 94 actually. 

And yeah you have the 98 Americans, Dany Heatley's car wreck, Patrick Kane being a POS, etc. They're not without their own issues. But you can probably compare 20 years of NHL player missteps, arrests, and overall jackassery into 2 or 3 NFL offseasons. No league or sport compares to the NFL right now on this issue. 

On 7/11/2018 at 12:19 PM, CanadaSteve said:

Browner last played in the NFL in 2016 as a member of the Seattle Seahawks. He also spent time with the New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints and Denver Broncos, as well as four seasons with the Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League during a professional career that spanned 11 seasons. Browner played in the American Flag Football League as part of the Roadrunners, participating in his last game with the team on Saturday night in Kennesaw, Georgia.

So if you're counting, that's 2 football leagues that have blacklisted Kaepernick, amirite?

On 7/12/2018 at 12:31 PM, JetFaninMI said:

pixel.gif
pixel.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

How selfish can you get?

How stupid?

Thanks for coming, guys.

pixel.gif

Crossword puzzles?

T-E-A-M U-S-A.

Pick away.

Yeah. Trashing a locker room and messy hotel rooms that time in the Olympics 20 years ago really is morally equivalent to multiple active (and former) NFL  players committing murder, attempted murders, more woman beating than you can count, a recent spate of burglaries, DUIs, assaults, gun charges...and on and on. Exactly the same. LOL. 

48 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yeah. Trashing a locker room and messy hotel rooms that time in the Olympics 20 years ago really is morally equivalent to multiple active (and former) NFL  players committing murder, attempted murders, more woman beating than you can count, a recent spate of burglaries, DUIs, assaults, gun charges...and on and on. Exactly the same. LOL. 

LOL. Yeah well the point is they were representing their COUNTRY and acted like buffoons on the world stage. I know its not popular now to want to be proud of your Country but back then this was considered a major thing.

No one is making any of these guys out to be Angels and I'm sure the NHL has its share of A-holes just like every other sport. Lets face it, the NHL doesn't have the notoriety of the other major sports and I'm sure most people wouldn't know an NHL player if they walked up on one. Its a simple fact not a swipe at the NHL. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

3 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

LOL. Yeah well the point is they were representing their COUNTRY and acted like buffoons on the world stage. I know its not popular now to want to be proud of your Country but back then this was considered a major thing.

No one is making any of these guys out to be Angels and I'm sure the NHL has its share of A-holes just like every other sport. Lets face it, the NHL doesn't have the notoriety of the other major sports and I'm sure most people wouldn't know an NHL player if they walked up on one. Its a simple fact not a swipe at the NHL. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

Remind me of the NHL player that tried to murder his pregnant girl so he didn't need to get tied down by that sh*t..

How about the NHL serial killer who killed a friend who bumped into him at a club...

LOL get the f@ck out of here with that crap. There is no equivalency with the crimes of NFL players and those of players of other leagues.

Find me some examples of Violent Felonies, not making you sad because Brett Hull or Doug Weight ****ed up his room at the Nagano Hilton. 

Ill wait.

On 7/11/2018 at 4:28 PM, Creepy Lurker said:

Does anyone think this is a result of more PED use than originally thought? Maybe there is a flaw in the system. Or is this concussion related? I’m really not sure but it’s bizarre how NFL players always have crazy sh*t going on. 

Doubt it. The guys been out of football 2 years. Why would he still be juicing. Almost every time an NFL player commits a violent crime, the steroid hysteria comes out. Maybe, just maybe they are just violent people. The jails are full of violent people. They weren’t all on steroids.

Archived