Report: Jets to Sign Undrafted Free Agent Safety Brandon Bryant

JetNation

2 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

The "Safeties, LOL" jokes are getting pretty old...

In reality, we actually did need some options for depth at the position as well to contribute on Special teams. Sure we had Miles, Brooks, Middleton, but we could have used a bit more competition there. Now we have some, and the additions of Wilcox and Bryant don't hurt us one bit. Just makes the fight for those two or three spots behind Adams and Maye more interesting and adds upside, all for very little.

Based on Tony Pauline’s scouting report I could see this guy used in some nickel packages. So there’s a chance he could provide depth all over the secondary, If he even makes it out of TC. With such a late start maybe the Jets are viewing him as a developmental DB. He could be a PS candidate. Wilcox only signed a 1 yr deal. Skrine might not be around for ‘19. 

2 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Why do u keep asking who? I gave u my answer - I don’t know who. If I did I would be GM. All I’m saying is I would rather the Jets sign an undrated O Lineman verses a safety. Is that complaining that we picked up a safety - no. Am I talking to Todd Bowles? Enough on this topic. You got your safety. 

I’ve asked who as well.

You do realize the Jets signed several UDFA after the draft (two OL from Auburn and an OG from up north)?

Signed a ‘17 3rd rd pick OT (Garcia). 2 FA Centers (Long, Swanson). Resigned a C (Harrison) OG (Dozier) and two OTs (Qvale, Ijalana). Had a ‘17 UDFA OL (Braden) on the PS all last yr. 

and JMO but I see Bryant as more than just a S and who I’m not even penciling in making the 53 man. 

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Don't know what all the angst is about.  Guy cost the Jets 0.  If he sucks, cut him.  Who knows maybe he'll be a good ST'er.

Because his labeled as a Safety.  Many here don’t understand its no longer the 1960s NFL  and three yards and a cloud of dust. 

Later that season, on an SEC Network broadcast, Tim Tebow named Bryant the "Freak of Week," citing Bryant's ability to run a 40-yard dash in 4.24 seconds and to deadlift 600 pounds.[9] Bryant caught another interception in a loss to Alabama. 

13 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

There's nothing quite so "special" as the little temper tantrums that get thrown in mid-July over a random flier filling the 90th roster spot.

Remember the outrage when Dexter McDougle was traded for Terrence Brooks who went on to win Defensive player of the week last season.

37 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Remember the outrage when Dexter McDougle was traded for Terrence Brooks who went on to win Defensive player of the week last season.

Surprised Maccc didn’t get more consideration for Executive of the Year based on that heist alone.

3 hours ago, C Mart said:

I’ve asked who as well.

You do realize the Jets signed several UDFA after the draft (two OL from Auburn and an OG from up north)?

Signed a ‘17 3rd rd pick OT (Garcia). 2 FA Centers (Long, Swanson). Resigned a C (Harrison) OG (Dozier) and two OTs (Qvale, Ijalana). Had a ‘17 UDFA OL (Braden) on the PS all last yr. 

and JMO but I see Bryant as more than just a S and who I’m not even penciling in making the 53 man. 

Exactly, and he's almost certainly not done. There's not much out there now in FA when it comes to OL, but another team's cuts could certainly look appealing come training camp (mini-draft!). 

They picked up a plus athlete who happens to play safety. Good time to bitch about the OL without having any idea what's available at OL. 

11 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

AND DON'T ANY OF YOU SONS OF BITCHES MAKE JAMAL ADAMS JOKES BECAUSE OF THIS. SO HELP ME GOD.

Cmon of course not. Well Bryant did run a 4.4 and had 5 int’s. That alone is worthy of being picked 6th in the draft  ?

10 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I’m really curious which teams have too many O-lineman or drafted OL this year and will be making camp cuts of vets or players not living up to salary. I’m sure Mac is waiting for these type of players to shake free and I expect him to be aggressive when this does happen. Just wish I knew what teams were in this situation and who might shake free. 

The Raiders might be the team to look to make a deal with.    Probably would say these would be 10 Olineman they carry. 1. LT Donald Penn ( probably his last year with the Raiders,  as they drafted his replacement this year)2 K Osemele 3.Rodney Hudson 4. Gabe Jackson 5 Kolton Miller - this year number 1 pick( Penn's eventual replacement- probably this year starting RT )  6. Brandon Parker - 3 Rd pick this year. They drafted to be eventually RT. 7. last year fourth rounder David Sharpe - coaches think he can be 10 year starter at RT ( needs to lose 10 -15 pounds) Can play guard  8 . Jon Feliciano - backup center, and Guard 9 Denver Kirkland - guard 10Ot  Jylan Ware - probably year away still - developing prospect 11 Vadal Alexander probably doesn't make there roster,  but suspended the first four games-  so don't have to make a decision with him till than. ( injury insurance) 

Now here is the deal  J Ware probably their ten best offense lineman but they have three young tackles already in front of him.(    They keep experience human turnstile B Giacomini- who D Carr hopes never sees the field.( would get destroyed against Afc West pass rushers in that division).    They probably keep experience garbage player over the better long term player.    Jmo Rather see them go with nine offensive line players than keep Giacomini- who we all know is horrible. 

15 hours ago, Nixhead said:

How about an O Lineman.  We have 5 positions there. 2 positions at safety and we have more back up safety’s than backup O Lineman. 

This GM and coach always find money and roster space for DBs despite already signing and drafting a mess of them. OL guys, a desperate need, not so much. 

We are closer to Todd Bowles' most cherished wish of an 11 safety defense, probably in a gaol line situation. 

5 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

The Raiders might be the team to look to make a deal with.    Probably would say these would be 10 Olineman they carry. 1. LT Donald Penn ( probably his last year with the Raiders,  as they drafted his replacement this year)2 K Osemele 3.Rodney Hudson 4. Gabe Jackson 5 Kolton Miller - this year number 1 pick( Penn's eventual replacement- probably this year starting RT )  6. Brandon Parker - 3 Rd pick this year. They drafted to be eventually RT. 7. last year fourth rounder David Sharpe - coaches think he can be 10 year starter at RT ( needs to lose 10 -15 pounds) Can play guard  8 . Jon Feliciano - backup center, and Guard 9 Denver Kirkland - guard 10Ot  Jylan Ware - probably year away still - developing prospect 11 Vadal Alexander probably doesn't make there roster,  but suspended the first four games-  so don't have to make a decision with him till than. ( injury insurance) 

Now here is the deal  J Ware probably their ten best offense lineman but they have three young tackles already in front of him.(    They keep experience human turnstile B Giacomini- who D Carr hopes never sees the field.( would get destroyed against Afc West pass rushers in that division).    They probably keep experience garbage player over the better long term player.    Jmo Rather see them go with nine offensive line players than keep Giacomini- who we all know is horrible. 

Thanks and this is exactly what I’m curious about for other teams as well but I am not checking message boards etc. hopefully a good camp cut speculation article will come out soon. 

This guy was signed as he was only available now after the supplemental draft.

There were no OL players available in the supplemental draft.

So whining about not signing an OL player following the supplemental draft is pointless. If there was a guy on the open market worth signing, he was already there and ready to be signed weeks ago. Like, you know, all those undrafted free agent OL that we signed weeks ago, as already mentioned above.

29 minutes ago, jamesr said:

This guy was signed as he was only available now after the supplemental draft.

There were no OL players available in the supplemental draft.

So whining about not signing an OL player following the supplemental draft is pointless. If there was a guy on the open market worth signing, he was already there and ready to be signed weeks ago. Like, you know, all those undrafted free agent OL that we signed weeks ago, as already mentioned above.

Basically. 

The only draftable players in the supplemental draft were defensive backs, and the Jets got one of them without spending a pick. Let's complain about it! 

So what do we have now, 6 safeties on the roster? (I believe Miles is injured?).

We also have 6 OLBs. We're far more likely to use a formation with 3 safeties than one with 3 OLBs. So does that mean Macc / Bowles "sure love them OLBs"?

And hey, guess how many OTs we have (for those 2 starting spots)? That's right - 6! Boy they sure do love those O Linemen, huh?

Archived