Countdown to Kickoff

Lith

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An obscure entry for Day 56.  The first man ever to wear #56 as both a Titan and a Jet.  

Image result for roger ellis jets

#56, Roger Ellis.  Ellis played on both sides of the ball for the Titans as a LB in 1960 and he converted to OL where he was a back up for most of his 4 year AFL career.  HIs last season was 1963.  When his playing days were over, he went on to a long career as a US Secret Service Agent, eventually serving to protect the Vice-President of the United States. 

A football player turned Federeal Agent deserves a spot on the countdown.

Anyone else -- feel free to add to the thread.

Still use Jets numbers to help me remember things. Last night I stopped reading my book on page 41, didn't have a bookmark, so I just have to say matt snell to remember which page I was on. Didn't even think of using tom seaver for such a purpose... 

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Oh I see. Using players. Umbers to countdown . Clever 

Yup.  Used to do this each year on another forum and we had some fun with it, folks chipping in with their own contribution for each day, so I decided to try it over here.  Here is another entry for today.   Paul Crane, linebacker with the SBIII Champs.

image.png

Played LB for the Jets, but he was an All American Center in college.  He was Joe Namath's center at Alabama.

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.  Used to do this each year on another forum and we had some fun with it, folks chipping in with their own contribution for each day, so I decided to try it over here.  Here is another entry for today.   Paul Crane, linebacker with the SBIII Champs.

image.png

Played LB for the Jets, but he was an All American Center in college.  He was Joe Namath's center at Alabama.

Cool idea. I will have my contribution ready for two weeks before the season starts.

Day 55.

Image result for alex kroll

Another obscure entry for Day 55. 

Alex Kroll - OT for the Titans in 1962.  Kroll earned All American honors at Rutgers in 1961.  The Titans drafted him with the 13th overall (2nd round) pick in the 62 AFL draft.  He played one year with the Titans, supplementing his income with a job as an Advertising Trainee at NY Ad Agency Young & Rubicam.  After one season with the Titans, he left football, deciding instead to pursue a career in advertising.  Worked out pretty well for him as he eventually became CEO of Young & Rubicam, eventually gaining enshrinement into the Advertising Hall of Fame (He has also been enshirned in the College Football Hall of Fame).  Alex Kroll, #55.  

At least we picked a HOFer with a 2nd round pick.

1 hour ago, slats said:

Who's jersey is he wearing? There's no way that says "Kroll" on the back. 

I looked up who had 55 for the 1961 Titans and it was Pat Lamberti. It looks like it was Pats Jersey for the photo opp

I'm less interested today in Opening Day, than I am in the four Pre-Season games.

I DESPERATELY want to see Sam Darnold play.  To see what all our collective hopes and dreams are based on right now.

Almost nothing else matters but this IMO.

Opening Day will get here soon enough, but my excitement for those first few preseason games is literally off the charts.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

I looked up who had 55 for the 1961 Titans and it was Pat Lamberti. It looks like it was Pats Jersey for the photo opp

Lol, yeah, that's the name on the Jersey all right. So is that actually a picture of Alex Kroll? And if not, why did he sign it? Or is that valuable Alex Kroll sig a forgery? 

So many questions!

Archived