Countdown to Kickoff

Lith

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 52.

There may be a much more obvious pick, but today, I am going with a pair of Centers.

Mike Hudock, first C in TItan/Jets history.  Started 78 of 84 games from the inaugural 1960 season through 1965. That is Hudock between a couple of more recognizable Jets.

Image result for mike hudock

Going to be a little self-indulgent today.  Plenty of good options for Day 15.  All linebackers: I could go with a starting LB from the Super Bowl team; or maybe a 9 year starter from the late 70s/early 80s who is now a member of the radio broadcast team; maybe a former rookie of the year from 14 seasons ago.  Nope, as a proud graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, I am going with former Penn Quaker Brandon Copeland who will be battling for a roster spot in training camp this season.

Image result for brandon copeland jets

This is the closest thing I could find of him in a green & white #51,

Day 50; Not may good options for today.

I will go with Eric Barton - who would be right up there in a debate with Mark Gastineau for worst roughing the passer penalty in Jet history for this hit on Drew Brees in the Wild Card playoff in SD in 2004.  He was bailed out by Nate Kaeding who wore the goat horns for SD after missing a 40 yard FG in OT.

See the source image

20 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

When Barton got that roughing penalty I threw my remote control across the room and it broke into a million pieces. Couldn't even blame the call, it was blatant roughing, he gave Brees a forearm shiver to the skull for no reason.

Before Barton was a Jet, he was a Raider, I was at a game out in Oakland sitting right behind the Raiders bench wearing my Jets Jersey and our Jets kicker Doug Bryan was about to kick the winning field Goal.  Barton lost his mind and incited an episode of screaming and yelling at us WTF are you doing in our house, Bryan kicks the winning field goal and we start getting pelted with flying beer, candy, yelling wait until you make your way up, etc.  The following year he was a Jet.

23 hours ago, Lith said:

Day 50; Not may good options for today.

I will go with Eric Barton - who would be right up there in a debate with Mark Gastineau for worst roughing the passer penalty in Jet history for this hit on Drew Brees in the Wild Card playoff in SD in 2004.  He was bailed out by Nate Kaeding who wore the goat horns for SD after missing a 40 yard FG in OT.

See the source image

I completely forgot about this. I had to take a second and find it in the thick haze of my memories.  This is a really fun list. Thanks for starting it and keeping it going. I can't wait till we get to Don Boyd Odegard. It's been too long since I've seen his face. 

Day 49.

Not much productivity out of #49s in Jets history.  Two best options are a couple of fullbacks named Tony, who both played 3 seasons for the NYJ.

Image result for tony paige jets

I am going with Tony Paige.  6th round pick of the Jets out of VA Tech in 1984.  Lead blocker for Freeman McNeil and made his mark as a short yardage back, scoring 18 TDs in his first two seasons as a Jet.  

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Image result for ny jets ed marinaro pics

Hard for me to think of him as a Jet -- wasn't it just one season that he played for us.  He is one of those guys I will always remember more for his college career than as a Pro; strange to say that about a Cornell grad. 

7 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

New York Jets training camp

Its almost here..

Site:

Atlantic Health Jets Training Center

Florham Park, N.J.

Rookies:

July 24

Veterans:

July 26

With Rookies starting tomorrow - here is to hoping Sam's first completion is the signing of his contract :-)

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

That's the drunk who drove down the Lincoln tunnel the wrong way, right? Shame that's the best 49 we could come up with lol.

Thats the guy.  There are a couple of 49s that were posted before him, but no major contributors. 

I guess if we really want to get creative we could go with Lamont Jordan, Kellen Clemens or Jace Amaro who were all picked with the 49th overall pick in the draft.

Day 48...

Cornell Gordon.  A 23rd round selection of the Jets in the 1964 AFL Draft, Gordon earned a spot on the team as a back up DB.  He found himself in the starting lineup late in the 68 season due to an injury to starting CB, Johnny Sample.  When Sample returned to the lineup for Super Bowl III, Gordon found himself back on the bench, never even getting into the game for a single snap.  But he still has a ring.

Image result for cornell gordon jets

Before the 1970 season, Gordon was traded to Denver for SS Gus Hollomon, who also wore #48.  During the 71 pre-season, after an injury to Joe Namath, Hollomon found hiself with two roles, strong safety and 3rd string QB behind Al Woodall and Bob Davis.  Hollomon had played QB in high school and during his freshman year in college, before being converted to a DB.  He never took a snap as QB in the regular season.

gus+hollomon.jpg

I tried to find an image Trevor Matich wearing 46 but could not.  He was an OL on the 1991 jets and became an emergency TE later in the year and they switched his jersey to 46.  he even caught a TD.

46 Bill Baird

1122337004f.jpg

Rich Sowells

NYJmia7.jpg

Archived