Ben McAdoo doesn’t like the way Sam Darnold throws the football

Gas2No99

Ben McAdoo doesn’t like the way Sam Darnold throws the football

Ben McAdoo and Sam Darnold

Ben McAdoo rose through the ranks to become an NFL head coach before he turned 40, largely on his ability to assess and develop quarterbacks. Most everything went awry for him and the Giants in 2017, but that should not discount McAdoo as a keen evaluator of the most important position on the field.

With time to kill and a desire to stay close to the game after he was fired with four games remaining last season, McAdoo took it upon himself to scout the top quarterbacks entering the 2018 draft. He rated Josh Allen of Wyoming as the best of the bunch — new Giants coach Pat Shurmur also had Allen No. 1 — but, overall, McAdoo was not enamored of this class of quarterbacks.:blink:

“There was no Andrew Luck coming out, no guy head and shoulders above everybody else,’’ McAdoo told The Post.

That is not the most encouraging news for the Jets. McAdoo wonders if Sam Darnold, taken No. 3, will ever be the franchise-saver the Jets need him to be. McAdoo could not get past flaws in Darnold’s throwing mechanics and his ball security.

“I think the kid the Jets drafted has a lot of magic in his game,’’ McAdoo said. “I think he’s special. He’s obviously a talented guy, he can make plays with his feet. I’d just have a hard time drafting a guy in the first round where you don’t necessarily like the way he throws. 

“He can overcome it, guys have, but that’s something that’s a challenge for me. I’m gonna be looking at that, trying to fix it, because it’s a fundamental flaw, and I believe in the fundamentals. The quarterback, his No. 1 job is to pass the football. If I don’t like the way he throws the ball, I have a hard time picking him, right?’’

McAdoo had Allen — taken by the Bills at No. 7 — at his top quarterback based on his “high ceiling.’’ His second-rated player was Lamar Jackson of Louisville, who went No. 32 to the Ravens. He put Darnold slightly ahead of Josh Rosen — who went No. 10 to the Cardinals — based on Rosen’s durability concerns.

“If he stays out on the field he’s probably going to be a helluva player and he’s probably going to be the most ready to play,’’ McAdoo said of Rosen. “I don’t worry about the other stuff they say, the leadership stuff, that’s all B.S. Aaron Rodgers was not all that. I don’t want a nice guy. Between the lines on Sunday, you give me a prick, I’ll take him.’’:lol:

McAdoo worked with Browns general manager John Dorsey when the two were together in Green Bay and said “I have a lot of respect for how he looks at players.’’ Still, McAdoo sounded a bit mystified Dorsey made Baker Mayfield the No. 1 pick in the entire draft. McAdoo had Mayfield as his sixth-rated quarterback (Mason Rudolph of Oklahoma State was his No. 5).

“He’s got an edge to him, I like that. He’s gonna lead, they’re gonna follow him,’’ McAdoo said of Mayfield. “I didn’t see a lot of pro-style football in his college tape. And if you’re short you have to be able to make up for it some way, somehow, and personality doesn’t do that.” I didn’t think he was a great athlete. This guy is kinda like a pocket quarterback that is short and with small hands, that’s what I worry about.’’

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This is the SAME Head Coach who wanted to play Geno Smith over Eli Manning. 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Asking that boob's opinion about QB's is like asking the captain of the Titanic how to steer
a ship.  Who cares what he says?  Mcadoo ranking Allen as the best QB in the draft tells you
all you need to know about his "expertise"   

Sure Sam has a bit of a elongated motion but does Allen’s completion percentage against less than inspiring competition not knock him down a few notches? He doesn’t have great field vision and he has zero anticipation. I’m not going to act like I know more about QB evaluation but C’MON.....r u serious?

He’s your #1 ranked QB and yet he can’t complete nor compete against a sh*t conference?

People can bring up his lack of teammates all day but I say SAVE IT. Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold played in a much harder division with just as bad of talent at WR.

Did Josh Allen light up Stanford’s vaunted D TWICE? Did Josh Allen make a magical comeback at 18-19 years old in the Rose Bowl?

Oh but he did have that one Cotton Bowl game though right?????? 

I will treat this as another positive note about our guy.  That guy is one of the crappiest talent evaluators around, which is one of the reasons why he is looking for a job.  And he would take the guy with the 49% completion percentage in junior college over all the other guys.  At least he's consistent in his dopiness. 

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Sure Sam has a bit of a elongated motion but does Allen’s completion percentage against less than inspiring competition now knock him down a few notches? 

He’s your #1 ranked QB and yet he can’t complete not compete against a sh*t conference?

People can bring up his lack of teammates all day but I say SAVE IT. Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold played in a much harder division with just as bad of talent at WR.

What are you talking about?  Jordan Lasley was drafted. Darnold had Smith-Schuster in 2017.  Can you tell me which of Wyoming's WRs we are going to watch on Sundays?

sounds like mcadoo-doo is being a little nit picking.  why qb coming out of college doesn't have some flaw?  mechanics seems to be a catch all.  and the pros are full of successful qb's with bad throwing motion.  did he ever watch favre throw off his back leg?

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What are you talking about?  Jordan Lasley was drafted. Darnold had Smith-Schuster in 2017.  Can you tell me which of Wyoming's WRs we are going to watch on Sundays?

Allen is a dud.  He has been mediocre in high school, junior college and college.  At some point you have to stop blaming his teammates.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

For one, i’m just talking about this past season

Secondly, Jordan Lasley was just about Rosen’s only weapon. 

JuJu was two years ago but if you are trying to say two guys off of both teams combined are in the NFL and that’s solid help than I would like to call your attempt a reach at best.

So his QB rankings were:

Josh Allen

Lamar Jackson

Sam Darnold

Josh Rosen

Mason Rudolph

Baker Mayfield

Well that's interesting. Don't understand it all but interesting. He doesn't like the way Sam throws yet ranks Rosen, the one who has basically flawless mechanics throwing the ball, behind him. Mmk

40 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Sure Sam has a bit of a elongated motion but does Allen’s completion percentage against less than inspiring competition not knock him down a few notches? He doesn’t have great field vision and he has zero anticipation. I’m not going to act like I know more about QB evaluation but C’MON.....r u serious?

He’s your #1 ranked QB and yet he can’t complete nor compete against a sh*t conference?

Did Josh Allen light up Stanford’s vaunted D TWICE? Did Josh Allen make a magical comeback at 18-19 years old in the Rose Bowl?

Oh but he did have that one Cotton Bowl game though right?????? 

Macdoodle is an idiot, and he is just pointing out the top are 1 few weakness darnold has. I’m sure he has been working on it, we shall see in real time pre season games. That could be a reason why he doesn’t start right  away. He could be working on it well in practice under zero pressure.. Just like a hitter will successful change his swing in the cage, but will often go back to bad habits at first in real time games.  

8 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We all know about darnolds throwing motion.  He just needs to shorten it a bit.  Hes not byron leftwich bad, but it needs to be worked on.

im sure the coaching staff has addressed it already.

i think there is..  " some room for a little fine-tuning "   ?

0702_spo_ocr-l-darnold-26.jpg?w=620

?

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

For one, i’m just talking about this past season

Secondly, Jordan Lasley was just about Rosen’s only weapon. 

JuJu was two years ago but if you are trying to say two guys off of both teams combined are in the NFL and that’s solid help than I would like to call your attempt a reach at best.

A reach?  UCLA had 2 WRs that are being carried by NFL teams RIGHT NOW.  Lasley was drafted by the Ravens and the Patriots are carrying Darren Andrews on the non-football injury list. Same for USC.  Deontay Burnett is on the Titans. Steven Mitchell is with the Rams.  Tyler Vaughns will be in the NFL one day - he was a top 3 WR prospect. Same probably goes for Pittman Jr, who was a top 10 WR prospect. Allen's top 2 guys were underclassmen.  A converted point guard and CJ Johnson.  Maybe they will get in an NFL camp, but the idea that they rise to the level of USC/UCLA talent is laughable. 

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

A reach?  UCLA had 2 WRs that are being carried by NFL teams RIGHT NOW.  Lasley was drafted by the Ravens and the Patriots are carrying Darren Andrews on the non-football injury list. Same for USC.  Deontay Burnett is on the Titans. Steven Mitchell is with the Rams.  Tyler Vaughns will be in the NFL one day - he was a top 3 WR prospect. Same probably goes for Pittman Jr, who was a top 10 WR prospect. Allen's top 2 guys were underclassmen.  A converted point guard and CJ Johnson.  Maybe they will get in an NFL camp, but the idea that they rise to the level of USC/UCLA talent is laughable. 

Lasely was a 4th rounder and the only one out of both teams combined that will have any kind of impact. Burnett wasn’t even drafted...i have no idea who Steve Mitchell is and Tyler Vaughn probably will be drafted, does that mean he’s some kind of super talented WR that moves the needle on how great his weapons were? 

That’s a terrible angle to argue from. 

47 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Allen is a dud.  He has been mediocre in high school, junior college and college.  At some point you have to stop blaming his teammates.

I am not making any analysis of Allen at all.  I am saying that USC and UCLA have considerably more WR talent than Wyoming.  It is a fact, it isn't really something to debate.  It may not matter.  Wyoming played teams with worse talent too, but the idea that their skill positions were comparable to the monster than USC trots out there is a joke. 

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Lasely was a 4th rounder and the only one out of both teams combined that will have any kind of impact. Burnett wasn’t even drafted...i have no idea who Steve Mitchell is and Tyler Vaughn probably will be drafted, does that mean he’s some kind of super talented WR that moves the needle on how great his weapons were? 

That’s a terrible angle to argue from. 

USC and UCLA had considerably more WR talent than Wyoming.  That is a fact.  Whether guys "move the needle" in the NFL is not really relevant. I have no angle, just pointing out your ridiculous statement was wrong.  Since you don't know who Darnold's #3 WR was, maybe you don't want to have this discussion.  Especially when that #3 is in an NFL camp

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am not making any analysis of Allen at all.  I am saying that USC and UCLA have considerably more WR talent than Wyoming.  It is a fact, it isn't really something to debate.  It may not matter.  Wyoming played teams with worse talent too, but the idea that their skill positions were comparable to the monster than USC trots out there is a joke. 

USC and UCLA had considerably more WR talent than Wyoming.  That is a fact.  Whether guys "move the needle" in the NFL is not really relevant. I have no angle, just pointing out your ridiculous statement was wrong.  Since you don't know who Darnold's #3 WR was, maybe you don't want to have this discussion.  Especially when that #3 is in an NFL camp

I honestly think you just like to argue lol...because nothing about that statement was false. Yeah, Wyoming has sh*t weapons but if you compare the toughness of both conferences and the lack of talent from USC/UCLA to Wyoming

it sorta evens the playing field out in my mind.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

I honestly think you just like to argue lol...because nothing about that statement was false. Yeah, Wyoming has sh*t weapons but if you compare the toughness of both conferences and the lack of talent from USC/UCLA to Wyoming

it sorta evens the playing field out in my mind.

I don't mind arguing, but mostly I hate seeing nonsense spouted as fact.  Sorta evens the playing field is very different than what you initially said.  You have apparently edited it, but you said they had "just as bad of talent at WR." I quoted it.

The above is false. They played in a harder division yes, but their talent at WR was considerably better. 

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't mind arguing, but mostly I hate seeing nonsense spouted as fact.  Sorta evens the playing field is very different than what you initially said.  You have apparently edited it, but you said they had "just as bad of talent at WR." I quoted it.

The above is false. They played in a harder division yes, but their talent at WR was considerably better. 

No harm, I enjoy arguing too and that is why I am here lol.

But yeah, just edited to add something else in on Sam’s accolades, nothing added to the part you were quoting though. 

You make a point, ok, there are some WR’s from last year that are in the NFL opposed to what Wyoming is bringing in and I honestly should of been more specific and brought up exactly why I felt it evens the playing field out but I didn’t. 

I honestly feel like we are correct in a sense.

I don't mind reading someone saying *something* bad about the kid, this time of year.

While it's fun fantasizing about an amazing future, it's good to be reminded once in awhile that he doesn't sh1t unicorns. 

So that when he throws his first interception, we don't all jump off a bridge.  (OK, who am I kidding, I'm sure the planes with the banners are already on standby.)

Archived