Ben McAdoo doesn’t like the way Sam Darnold throws the football

Gas2No99

7 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Macdoodle is an idiot, and he is just pointing out the top are 1 few weakness darnold has. I’m sure he has been working on it, we shall see in real time pre season games. That could be a reason why he doesn’t start right  away. He could be working on it well in practice under zero pressure.. Just like a hitter will successful change his swing in the cage, but will often go back to bad habits at first in real time games.  

He's not changing his throwing motion or being coached to. He is holding the ball higher with 2 hands. Bates has said they are not changing his throwing motion. Slightly elongated or not he will have one of the fastest releases in the NFL

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, I don’t think McAdoody said anything bad about Darnold. The fact is, actually, he’s right - Darnold needs to improve his ball security if he’s gonna make it in the NFL, but it’s definitely a fixable problem.

Now all McAloser needs to do is go back home and sit on his couch and contemplate what went wrong with him and the Giants in 2017.

3 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Wasn’t there a sports science video that was going around the draft that showed Darnold having a really quick release despite the elongated/awkward throwing motion? Maybe his decision making is excellent and really quick which compensates for the slow wind up. Idk, just hope he is the franchise QB that we have been looking for either way. 

He doesn't have a slow release.  And even if he did, he's got a strong arm (which I'm surprised we don't hear more about) that makes up for it.

This article is actually a nice glimpse at why the NFL coaching scene is generally full of crap coaches.  

NFL coaches CANNOT see past the prototypical this or that.  The prototypical size, protypical arm strength, prototypical scheme, and on and on. Zero creativity, minimal ability to adapt.  Things are supposed to be a certain way in the NFL, and lots of coaches can't get past that.

16 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Meanwhile, Philip Rivers is shotputting his way to a borderline HOF career.....

By the way, Ben Mcadoo  has never "developed a quarterback " in his life. Ever. He spent most of his career as a ST/TE coach. The only time he was a QB coach was in 2012-13 when Rogers  had 8 years in the league. Guy is a bullsh*t artist who will never be an OC or HC ever again, so who cares? McAdoo is just trying to remind the football world he still exists. 

Fact: McAdoo coached himself out of the NFL  

McADoo was literally the worst coach in the NFL last year.   His word means jack sh$$.  

We will see in 2-3 years who is better, Rosen, Allen, or Darnold.    At the time, I wanted Rosen, but I HOPE I was wrong.   I mean, what do I know?

22 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Ben McAdoo and Sam Darnold

Ben McAdoo rose through the ranks to become an NFL head coach before he turned 40, largely on his ability to assess and develop quarterbacks. Most everything went awry for him and the Giants in 2017, but that should not discount McAdoo as a keen evaluator of the most important position on the field.

With time to kill and a desire to stay close to the game after he was fired with four games remaining last season, McAdoo took it upon himself to scout the top quarterbacks entering the 2018 draft. He rated Josh Allen of Wyoming as the best of the bunch — new Giants coach Pat Shurmur also had Allen No. 1 — but, overall, McAdoo was not enamored of this class of quarterbacks.:blink:

“There was no Andrew Luck coming out, no guy head and shoulders above everybody else,’’ McAdoo told The Post.

That is not the most encouraging news for the Jets. McAdoo wonders if Sam Darnold, taken No. 3, will ever be the franchise-saver the Jets need him to be. McAdoo could not get past flaws in Darnold’s throwing mechanics and his ball security.

“I think the kid the Jets drafted has a lot of magic in his game,’’ McAdoo said. “I think he’s special. He’s obviously a talented guy, he can make plays with his feet. I’d just have a hard time drafting a guy in the first round where you don’t necessarily like the way he throws. 

“He can overcome it, guys have, but that’s something that’s a challenge for me. I’m gonna be looking at that, trying to fix it, because it’s a fundamental flaw, and I believe in the fundamentals. The quarterback, his No. 1 job is to pass the football. If I don’t like the way he throws the ball, I have a hard time picking him, right?’’

McAdoo had Allen — taken by the Bills at No. 7 — at his top quarterback based on his “high ceiling.’’ His second-rated player was Lamar Jackson of Louisville, who went No. 32 to the Ravens. He put Darnold slightly ahead of Josh Rosen — who went No. 10 to the Cardinals — based on Rosen’s durability concerns.

“If he stays out on the field he’s probably going to be a helluva player and he’s probably going to be the most ready to play,’’ McAdoo said of Rosen. “I don’t worry about the other stuff they say, the leadership stuff, that’s all B.S. Aaron Rodgers was not all that. I don’t want a nice guy. Between the lines on Sunday, you give me a prick, I’ll take him.’’:lol:

McAdoo worked with Browns general manager John Dorsey when the two were together in Green Bay and said “I have a lot of respect for how he looks at players.’’ Still, McAdoo sounded a bit mystified Dorsey made Baker Mayfield the No. 1 pick in the entire draft. McAdoo had Mayfield as his sixth-rated quarterback (Mason Rudolph of Oklahoma State was his No. 5).

“He’s got an edge to him, I like that. He’s gonna lead, they’re gonna follow him,’’ McAdoo said of Mayfield. “I didn’t see a lot of pro-style football in his college tape. And if you’re short you have to be able to make up for it some way, somehow, and personality doesn’t do that.” I didn’t think he was a great athlete. This guy is kinda like a pocket quarterback that is short and with small hands, that’s what I worry about.’’

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This is the SAME Head Coach who wanted to play Geno Smith over Eli Manning. 

As long as he does not throw sidearm, I dont care what McAdoodoo says.  Lots of QBs have ball security issues.  It is mental and it can be overcome.  Guys who try to extend plays give it up sometimes. But mostly they extend plays

Ben Macawho? Oh yeah the guy who was fired by the VaGiants. If he wasn't blasting Darnold would anyone really care what he thought? Please. Anyone who thinks Geno"friggin"Smith is a viable anything in this League should be ignored. Much ado about nothing IMO.

19 hours ago, T0mShane said:

How many of them had weird motions, threw a ton of picks in college, then came to the pros and stopped throwing picks? 

His college int% was 2.6. Not exactly a ton. Coupled with the fumbles he had more turnovers than you'd like, but the int% isn't a terrible number. And that is something good QBs will improve at the pro level. 

Someone may try to tie his interceptions to his throwing motion, but I really think it has a lot more to do with his style of play. He's more Roethlisberger/Favre than Peyton/Brady. I think we're going to have to accept a certain number of picks out of him with the hope/expectation that he can overcome them with big plays.

Before I say this I want to be clear, I am really excited that Darnold was drafted by the Jets.

When the draft process was going on my main concern with Darnold wasn't the interceptions.  It was the fumbles.  A QB like Darnold, with a "gunslinger" mentality is going to have some pics.  He is also going to have a lot of quick strike TD's when he is on the move buying time.  Among other things that keeps the S's out of the box, and really aids the running game.

During draft season I probably viewed every clip avialable on the 4 QB's.  I'm certainly not a QB guru, but one thing I noticed Darnold did that contributed to the fumbles, and got him a reputation as having an elongated throwing motion, is he drops the ball down to about hip level, with only one hand on the ball, as he is going thru his motion.  Pass rushers quickly learn as they are being taken wide of the QB is that if they slap at his hip as they go by, sometimes they are going to get a piece of the ball, and knock it out.  NFL edge rushers are going to eat him up if he continues to do it.

From the few video's we have seen of him in the spring, he's not doing it.  He seems to be taking coaching well.  Of course that is with no contact, and a red jersey.  When the hitting starts QB's often revert back to what they have done in the past.  It's going to take a bit of time for Darnold to adjust.

I honestly believe that if Darnold can stop putting the ball on the ground he has the physical talent, football intelligence and  the emotional  control to become a top QB in the NFL.   It's going to take hundreds of practice reps, and game reps under fire to get there.  Be patient guys, IMO he's going to get there. 

7 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This article is actually a nice glimpse at why the NFL coaching scene is generally full of crap coaches.  

NFL coaches CANNOT see past the prototypical this or that.  The prototypical size, protypical arm strength, prototypical scheme, and on and on. Zero creativity, minimal ability to adapt.  Things are supposed to be a certain way in the NFL, and lots of coaches can't get past that.

Yup. It's actually a little frightening to see how mediocre a good number of the coaches and coordinators are in the NFL. A few really brilliant guys floating around but the vast majority are your average C+/B- high school student who went on to play on an athletic scholarship and mediocre grades in fluff courses, who then (if lucky) went on to play in the NFL on the practice squad, and then landed a coaching job and worked through the ranks of the good ol' boy system of who you know. That's an assembly line that is pretty much guaranteed to weed out anybody but the sheep and the toadies. And it's why, as many have pointed out here, you can't assume these geniuses are going to make highly sophisticated decisions in the draft. The intellectual fire-power in the NFL is pretty uninspiring. Thus why guys like Belicick stand out like Bobby Fischer among pawn pushers.

10 hours ago, slats said:

His college int% was 2.6. Not exactly a ton. Coupled with the fumbles he had more turnovers than you'd like, but the int% isn't a terrible number. And that is something good QBs will improve at the pro level. 

Someone may try to tie his interceptions to his throwing motion, but I really think it has a lot more to do with his style of play. He's more Roethlisberger/Favre than Peyton/Brady. I think we're going to have to accept a certain number of picks out of him with the hope/expectation that he can overcome them with big plays.

I feel the same way. His game videos have a lot of amazing throws and a lot of throws where you go ?. He could very well be a Favre/Eli-type that throws a bunch of TDs along with a bunch of INTs, and the Jets coaches are just going to have to make it work. If they try to put the clamps on him for fear he’s going to turn it over, they’re playing a losing game. If he’s Favre/Eli, they have to let him throw it at a high volume in order to compensate for the dodgy plays. You can’t try to win 21-20 with a QB that turns it over. You’ve gotta try to win 42-35.

On 7/13/2018 at 1:40 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

"A guy who has (Geno's) skill set is hard to find," praised Ben McAdoo after Smith's signing. "You can't find guys out there that have that type of arm talent, the quick release, the throwing motion and the feet to go with it."

Let’s not forget the loser mentality to go with this skill set and you have the next coming of Ryan Leaf. 

On 7/13/2018 at 5:29 PM, Philc1 said:

People TRASHED Rivers the year he was drafted for his throwing motion

I distinctly remember how awful people believed he’d be in the NFL. And I vividly recall how desperate we were to get a QB that his name was often mentioned in trade talks. Rivers is a gamer. Darnold emulates a lot of his characteristics.  This kid is going to be GOLDEN. 

FD4D3804-72D6-4FB7-A911-F9EDB4C7AFFF.jpeg

On 7/13/2018 at 12:33 PM, kelly said:

i think there is..  " some room for a little fine-tuning "   ?

0702_spo_ocr-l-darnold-26.jpg?w=620

?

The Reincarnation of Joe Kapp

The ole days of football - the way the game was meant to be played. 

PS - 2:35 into the video ....SWEET 

The Reincarnation of Joe Kapp The ole days of football - the way the game was meant to be played. 

PS - 2:35 into the video ....SWEET 

All I kept saying while watching this ... My God ... WHAT HAVE WE DONE TO THIS GAME. 

Kapp definitely is a good comparison. What can we expect from Darnold??... 'WINS'.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

All I kept saying while watching this ... My God ... WHAT HAVE WE DONE TO THIS GAME. 

Kapp definitely is a good comparison. What can we expect from Darnold??... 'WINS'.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Joe Kapp wishes he had Sam Darnolds arm,lol. Outside of the Jets, I followed the Vikings. Loved the uniform & was totally bummed when they lost to KC in the Super Bowl. Was a huge fan of Kapp. Yes, similarities in throwing on the run, jump passes, but Kapp couldn't throw a pretty spiral to save his life, Darnold throws a beautiful ball with great touch. 

If Sam Darnold combines the attributes of Joe Kapp & Brett Favre, us Jet fans are going to have a fun 15 years!

On 7/13/2018 at 5:30 PM, Gas2No99 said:

Ben McAdoo and Sam Darnold

Ben McAdoo rose through the ranks to become an NFL head coach before he turned 40, largely on his ability to assess and develop quarterbacks. Most everything went awry for him and the Giants in 2017, but that should not discount McAdoo as a keen evaluator of the most important position on the field.

With time to kill and a desire to stay close to the game after he was fired with four games remaining last season, McAdoo took it upon himself to scout the top quarterbacks entering the 2018 draft. He rated Josh Allen of Wyoming as the best of the bunch — new Giants coach Pat Shurmur also had Allen No. 1 — but, overall, McAdoo was not enamored of this class of quarterbacks.:blink:

“There was no Andrew Luck coming out, no guy head and shoulders above everybody else,’’ McAdoo told The Post.

That is not the most encouraging news for the Jets. McAdoo wonders if Sam Darnold, taken No. 3, will ever be the franchise-saver the Jets need him to be. McAdoo could not get past flaws in Darnold’s throwing mechanics and his ball security.

“I think the kid the Jets drafted has a lot of magic in his game,’’ McAdoo said. “I think he’s special. He’s obviously a talented guy, he can make plays with his feet. I’d just have a hard time drafting a guy in the first round where you don’t necessarily like the way he throws. 

“He can overcome it, guys have, but that’s something that’s a challenge for me. I’m gonna be looking at that, trying to fix it, because it’s a fundamental flaw, and I believe in the fundamentals. The quarterback, his No. 1 job is to pass the football. If I don’t like the way he throws the ball, I have a hard time picking him, right?’’

McAdoo had Allen — taken by the Bills at No. 7 — at his top quarterback based on his “high ceiling.’’ His second-rated player was Lamar Jackson of Louisville, who went No. 32 to the Ravens. He put Darnold slightly ahead of Josh Rosen — who went No. 10 to the Cardinals — based on Rosen’s durability concerns.

“If he stays out on the field he’s probably going to be a helluva player and he’s probably going to be the most ready to play,’’ McAdoo said of Rosen. “I don’t worry about the other stuff they say, the leadership stuff, that’s all B.S. Aaron Rodgers was not all that. I don’t want a nice guy. Between the lines on Sunday, you give me a prick, I’ll take him.’’:lol:

McAdoo worked with Browns general manager John Dorsey when the two were together in Green Bay and said “I have a lot of respect for how he looks at players.’’ Still, McAdoo sounded a bit mystified Dorsey made Baker Mayfield the No. 1 pick in the entire draft. McAdoo had Mayfield as his sixth-rated quarterback (Mason Rudolph of Oklahoma State was his No. 5).

“He’s got an edge to him, I like that. He’s gonna lead, they’re gonna follow him,’’ McAdoo said of Mayfield. “I didn’t see a lot of pro-style football in his college tape. And if you’re short you have to be able to make up for it some way, somehow, and personality doesn’t do that.” I didn’t think he was a great athlete. This guy is kinda like a pocket quarterback that is short and with small hands, that’s what I worry about.’’

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This is the SAME Head Coach who wanted to play Geno Smith over Eli Manning. 

This isnt a guy who "wanted" to play Geno over Eli. Manning's play was questionable at best. I dont agree with him because he's inconsistent. 

On one hand he criticizes Darnold for throwing motion, criticizes Mayfield for not having alot of "pro style" tape, though the superbowl looked like a college playoff game, and yet his favorite QB was the most inaccurate and inconsistent passer. That's weird coming from a guy who puts added emphasis on how a qb throws the football. That's my problem with the article. 

In order to have Allen your top QB, there's just alot of his game that has to be dismissed, overlooked and damage controlled. Darnold doesnt have that problem. 

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I feel the same way. His game videos have a lot of amazing throws and a lot of throws where you go ?. He could very well be a Favre/Eli-type that throws a bunch of TDs along with a bunch of INTs, and the Jets coaches are just going to have to make it work. If they try to put the clamps on him for fear he’s going to turn it over, they’re playing a losing game. If he’s Favre/Eli, they have to let him throw it at a high volume in order to compensate for the dodgy plays. You can’t try to win 21-20 with a QB that turns it over. You’ve gotta try to win 42-35.

My biggest concern is our hyper-conservative HC being more concerned with trying to correct the flaws than accentuating all his positives. We can only hope they're smart enough to let him play his game. 

On 7/13/2018 at 11:48 AM, #27TheDominator said:

What are you talking about?  Jordan Lasley was drafted. Darnold had Smith-Schuster in 2017.  Can you tell me which of Wyoming's WRs we are going to watch on Sundays?

And tell me the names of the defenders that shut down Allen's receivers. Bottom line is that his garbage receivers were playing against garbage defenders. They were open, he failed to complete a high percentage of passes, and his receivers didn't have a ton of drops.

The guys not accurate. Maybe he can improve his accuracy, maybe not. But people need to stop searching for excuses for him. He needs to own it if he wants to improve.

10 hours ago, BigO said:

I distinctly remember how awful people believed he’d be in the NFL. And I vividly recall how desperate we were to get a QB that his name was often mentioned in trade talks. Rivers is a gamer. Darnold emulates a lot of his characteristics.  This kid is going to be GOLDEN. 

FD4D3804-72D6-4FB7-A911-F9EDB4C7AFFF.jpeg

In 2006 the Chargers were considering resigning Brees and trading Rivers to us for Abe and picks

44 minutes ago, slats said:

My biggest concern is our hyper-conservative HC being more concerned with trying to correct the flaws than accentuating all his positives. We can only hope they're smart enough to let him play his game. 

Bowles has 0.0 to do with the offense

On 7/14/2018 at 5:48 AM, HawkeyeJet said:

This is SOOO true. Even before analytics was a household name, NFL teams had certain physical attribute requirements for each position they would not deviate from.

Archived