Ben McAdoo doesn’t like the way Sam Darnold throws the football

Gas2No99

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

Joe Kapp wishes he had Sam Darnolds arm,lol. Outside of the Jets, I followed the Vikings. Loved the uniform & was totally bummed when they lost to KC in the Super Bowl. Was a huge fan of Kapp. Yes, similarities in throwing on the run, jump passes, but Kapp couldn't throw a pretty spiral to save his life, Darnold throws a beautiful ball with great touch. 

If Sam Darnold combines the attributes of Joe Kapp & Brett Favre, us Jet fans are going to have a fun 15 years!

True. Kapp was a lunch pail QB that had limited skills.  But he was fun to watch and had that never ending desire to do whatever it takes to win at any cost.  Darnold is obviously more of an elite prospect but I occasionally see him having that kooky element of a Joe Kapp and reaching into his bags of tricks. 

477A6C95-2B96-47D5-81B7-186EBE3DDDDB.jpeg

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/14/2018 at 10:23 AM, slats said:

His college int% was 2.6. Not exactly a ton. Coupled with the fumbles he had more turnovers than you'd like, but the int% isn't a terrible number. And that is something good QBs will improve at the pro level. 

Someone may try to tie his interceptions to his throwing motion, but I really think it has a lot more to do with his style of play. He's more Roethlisberger/Favre than Peyton/Brady. I think we're going to have to accept a certain number of picks out of him with the hope/expectation that he can overcome them with big plays.

I’ll gladly take Roethlisbeger/Favre over the crap buffet at qb I’ve been subjected to my entire life as a Jet fan

Of course, the college game is different than the NFL, but I remember Sam's dad saying that the Arizona coach told him they wouldn't offer Sam because of his throwing motion...that kinda backfired.  All his offers were from elite academic universities like Harvard, Yale, Duke and Northwestern.

Our HC went out to see Sam play in a game at San Clemente, he proceeded to throw 5 TD passes as cool as can be....all the while knowing that the OC from his dream school was present watching his every throw and leadership ability.  

Coach came away with one thought....this kid is a winner and a great leader.

On 7/13/2018 at 12:45 PM, #27TheDominator said:

I am not making any analysis of Allen at all.  I am saying that USC and UCLA have considerably more WR talent than Wyoming.  It is a fact, it isn't really something to debate.  It may not matter.  Wyoming played teams with worse talent too, but the idea that their skill positions were comparable to the monster than USC trots out there is a joke. 

USC and UCLA had considerably more WR talent than Wyoming.  That is a fact.  Whether guys "move the needle" in the NFL is not really relevant. I have no angle, just pointing out your ridiculous statement was wrong.  Since you don't know who Darnold's #3 WR was, maybe you don't want to have this discussion.  Especially when that #3 is in an NFL camp

Wyoming has a football team? Who’d a thunk it. I thought they only had a rodeo team ? 

DD84DEF3-31BC-4A00-B8BC-992381B81526.jpeg

15 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

Why does Darnold's throwing motion matter if his release time is adequate and he's accurate, as this video analysis suggests? Darnold is at 6:34.

I don’t think it does. I was saying that even though people have noticed his awkward motion, he ended up having a really fast realease time which is awesome/interesting. 

Just edited this to add a comment. Thank you for the video. This isn’t the one that I was talking about but damn it’s impressive. I hope he is just physically a freak at QB and his throwing motion is actually a benefit and because no one else can do it. We may have something special here. 

I think he's just trying to put more pressure on the giants, saying they did the right thing so when they fail he can laugh.  if he really feels this way it would be concerning as he does know QB play, he won 11 games w/o one 2 years ago and lost his job b/c he rightfully benched an overrated, over the hill QB last year.  remember, before he took over the giants missed the playoffs 4 straight years and 6 of 7 years w/ that same QB.  he led them to 11 wins(only 1 time previously had the giants won 11 games w/ that QB in his entire career) and a playoff app despite the QB leading the O to 17 PPG.  he knows QB play but again I think he is just needling the giants and trying to set up unrealistic expectations.

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:28 PM, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Yup. It's actually a little frightening to see how mediocre a good number of the coaches and coordinators are in the NFL. A few really brilliant guys floating around but the vast majority are your average C+/B- high school student who went on to play on an athletic scholarship and mediocre grades in fluff courses, who then (if lucky) went on to play in the NFL on the practice squad, and then landed a coaching job and worked through the ranks of the good ol' boy system of who you know. That's an assembly line that is pretty much guaranteed to weed out anybody but the sheep and the toadies. And it's why, as many have pointed out here, you can't assume these geniuses are going to make highly sophisticated decisions in the draft. The intellectual fire-power in the NFL is pretty uninspiring. Thus why guys like Belicick stand out like Bobby Fischer among pawn pushers.

Guys like Belichick stand out b/c they had players like LT and Brady.  BB has been a mediocre defensive coach w/o the greatest defensive player of all time in LT and he was a complete failure as a HC w/o the greatest QB of all time in Tom Brady. he was such a genius he drafted Brady in round 6 then gave Drew Bledsoe a $100 mil extension after Brady's rookie year.  He had no idea what he had in Brady and Brady turned his HC career completely around. w/o Brady emerging he's a DC somewhere today if he's still in football.

23 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

And tell me the names of the defenders that shut down Allen's receivers. Bottom line is that his garbage receivers were playing against garbage defenders. They were open, he failed to complete a high percentage of passes, and his receivers didn't have a ton of drops.

The guys not accurate. Maybe he can improve his accuracy, maybe not. But people need to stop searching for excuses for him. He needs to own it if he wants to improve.

Thank you for this.  I do not think that I mentioned this pearl of wisdom at any time.  It has been pointed out to me at least three times by people trying to show me the error of my ways.  I am still not sure how it is in any way relevant to the fallacy of a statement that Josh Rosen and Josh Sam Darnold had "just as bad of talent" at WR as Josh Allen. 

If you think Wyoming's point guard is as good as Jordan Lasley or Smith-Schuster we can continue, if not, the talent on D is not particularly relevant to my statements - which actually pointed out the disparity in the conference.  Four days later and people still want to bust me without reading my posts.

On 7/15/2018 at 12:34 AM, BigO said:

The Reincarnation of Joe Kapp

The ole days of football - the way the game was meant to be played. 

PS - 2:35 into the video ....SWEET 

cool !..

?

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

we better hope he is better than #12 or we'll be looking for a new QB in a few years.  a QB like that would never survive the social media age.

Sure he wouldn't.  Another fun fact brought to us by nyjunc.  

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Sure he wouldn't.  Another fun fact brought to us by nyjunc.  

Imagine all the hype Joe had them and magnify it times 1000 today then watch Joe throw away a season like he did in 1967 and see what happens. Then watch him start to throw away 1968 before they limited his throws and got the season back on track.  Also, it would be impossible to win a SB the same way.  We wouldn't need just one win to get to a SB with a home game we didn't earn as two teams with better records had to play an extra game for the right to travel to NY and the team name we hosted not only had to play an extra game but had a better record than us, BEAT us head to head and also had to play us on the road to reach SB but your theories are much more fun to discuss along with Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Imagine all the hype Joe had them and magnify it times 1000 today then watch Joe throw away a season like he did in 1967 and see what happens. Then watch him start to throw away 1968 before they limited his throws and got the season back on track.  Also, it would be impossible to win a SB the same way.  We wouldn't need just one win to get to a SB with a home game we didn't earn as two teams with better records had to play an extra game for the right to travel to NY and the team name we hosted not only had to play an extra game but had a better record than us, BEAT us head to head and also had to play us on the road to reach SB but your theories are much more fun to discuss along with Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

Nice story.

Now tell us how Sanchez carried the Jets to more playoff wins.

Love the asinine idea that the SB wouldn't have happened if not for needing just one win.  A bye and one extra game would have changed history for the best team in the NFL. Ok, no more please.  

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Nice story.

Now tell us how Sanchez carried the Jets to more playoff wins.

Love the asinine idea that the SB wouldn't have happened if not for needing just one win.  A bye and one extra game would have changed history for the best team in the NFL. Ok, no more please.  

Please show me one post where I said mark carried us? I have always said we won those playoff games led by our D(just like we did in '68).

You don't think needing just one home win to get to SB is an advantage? Not to mention we didn't earn the home game and two teams with better records had to play to see who would travel to NY?  I know you make a lot of excuses for Joe but this is preposterous even for you.

42 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Please show me one post where I said mark carried us? I have always said we won those playoff games led by our D(just like we did in '68).

You don't think needing just one home win to get to SB is an advantage? Not to mention we didn't earn the home game and two teams with better records had to play to see who would travel to NY?  I know you make a lot of excuses for Joe but this is preposterous even for you.

Excuses for a jet QB?  LOL.

I asked you nicely to not escalate this into one of your strings of total nonsense. 

Think whatever you want, no one agrees with you. Of course that won't stop you from going on and on trying to convince me the SB win really was easy and whatever other nonsense you can think of.

One more time stop. 

12 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Excuses for a jet QB?  LOL.

I asked you nicely to not escalate this into one of your strings of total nonsense. 

Think whatever you want, no one agrees with you. Of course that won't stop you from going on and on trying to convince me the SB win really was easy and whatever other nonsense you can think of.

One more time stop. 

This is what you do, you hurl insults instead of trying to engage in a civil, intelligent debate.  

I try to help you but you refuse to listen. If you don't think we had an easy road to SB III then I don't know what to tell you. If you think needing one home win (without actually earning homefield) isn't an easy road you have issues.

50 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

This is what you do, you hurl insults instead of trying to engage in a civil, intelligent debate.  

I try to help you but you refuse to listen. If you don't think we had an easy road to SB III then I don't know what to tell you. If you think needing one home win (without actually earning homefield) isn't an easy road you have issues.

Insults?  Lol.  

Youre right, I won't listen to the idea that the SB was easy, Namath would be a nightmare today or whatever else you're peddling.  

23 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Thank you for this.  I do not think that I mentioned this pearl of wisdom at any time.  It has been pointed out to me at least three times by people trying to show me the error of my ways.  I am still not sure how it is in any way relevant to the fallacy of a statement that Josh Rosen and Josh Sam Darnold had "just as bad of talent" at WR as Josh Allen. 

If you think Wyoming's point guard is as good as Jordan Lasley or Smith-Schuster we can continue, if not, the talent on D is not particularly relevant to my statements - which actually pointed out the disparity in the conference.  Four days later and people still want to bust me without reading my posts.

The point is that no matter how you slice it, his receivers were open. Just like they were for the other QBs. And people should stop using the talent of his receivers as an excuse. Plays are designed to get players open. Newsflash!! At every level on almost every passing play, one or more players are open. It is up to the QB to ID that player and get him the ball. Josh Allen was not good at that particular aspect of QBing. Hopefully, he can work on things and improve. Blaming others for his shortcomings will not make him a better QB. 

3 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The point is that no matter how you slice it, his receivers were open. Just like they were for the other QBs. And people should stop using the talent of his receivers as an excuse. Plays are designed to get players open. Newsflash!! At every level on almost every passing play, one or more players are open. It is up to the QB to ID that player and get him the ball. Josh Allen was not good at that particular aspect of QBing. Hopefully, he can work on things and improve. Blaming others for his shortcomings will not make him a better QB. 

I never did any of this.  Nowhere in my posts were there excuses for Allen, or even any analysis of Allen as a QB.  There was a post that claimed that Rosen and Darnold had WRs that were as bad as Allen's PLUS they play in a tougher conference.  The idea is laughable and it is what I was responding to.  Nothing against you, but there were at least 5 posts pointing out the caliber of the defense WHICH IS COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT TO THE POINT I MADE AND I REFERENCED THAT THE LEVEL OF ALLEN'S COMPETITION WAS LOWER IN MY POST(S).

Saying stupid sh*t like "Newsflash!!" might make you feel better, but answer this question - who had better WRs Allen, Darnold or Rosen?  That is the ONLY thing I was discussing.

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Insults?  Lol.  

Youre right, I won't listen to the idea that the SB was easy, Namath would be a nightmare today or whatever else you're peddling.  

You really present a compelling argument.

On 7/14/2018 at 8:33 AM, The Crusher said:

Any Dalton is also a ginger and had a fine NFL career despite of it. Sam will be fine. 

i hope/think you're right   ?

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

On 7/16/2018 at 4:46 AM, nyjunc said:

I think he's just trying to put more pressure on the giants, saying they did the right thing so when they fail he can laugh.  if he really feels this way it would be concerning as he does know QB play, he won 11 games w/o one 2 years ago and lost his job b/c he rightfully benched an overrated, over the hill QB last year.  remember, before he took over the giants missed the playoffs 4 straight years and 6 of 7 years w/ that same QB.  he led them to 11 wins(only 1 time previously had the giants won 11 games w/ that QB in his entire career) and a playoff app despite the QB leading the O to 17 PPG.  he knows QB play but again I think he is just needling the giants and trying to set up unrealistic expectations.

Eli..Over rated, over the hill QB? Lol oh come on...

On 7/15/2018 at 6:58 AM, Jetster said:

Joe Kapp wishes he had Sam Darnolds arm,lol. Outside of the Jets, I followed the Vikings. Loved the uniform & was totally bummed when they lost to KC in the Super Bowl. Was a huge fan of Kapp. Yes, similarities in throwing on the run, jump passes, but Kapp couldn't throw a pretty spiral to save his life, Darnold throws a beautiful ball with great touch. 

If Sam Darnold combines the attributes of Joe Kapp & Brett Favre, us Jet fans are going to have a fun 15 years!

I agree 100%

The guy who Darnold reminds me the most of all is Otto Graham (my second favorite QB of All Time)

Archived