I do understand some fans indignation

Jetster

About Maccs aversion to drafting olineman. 

Last night I watched a replay of the Eagles vs Falcons playoff game & the Eagles Oline was a huge reason they almost doubled the Falcons TOP. Everyone talked about that Eagles D line but the Falcons drove the entire length of the field & if not for a Julio Jones slip in the endzone would have beat that defense.

But it was the Eagles Oline that's most impressive. You would think that the powers that be would realize that their only success came because they had a kick azz Oline in 2009/2010. Even with a poor QB & a poor head coach, that Oline was pivotal in getting that team to 2 AFCCGs. Ok, I'll admit the Colts helped us get to the AFCCG in 2009. 

You also need to look no further than the Dallas Cowboys to see how their fortunes changed when Jerry Jones started drafting top college lineman. Here was a team that hadn't sniffed the playoffs for years but once they solidified that Oline, drafted Zac & Elliott, boom, contender. 

I've been defending Macc & believe he's done a decent job turning over this horrific roster that he was left with by Tanny, Rex & Idzik, but with 95 million, a year after drafting what we hope is a franchise QB, if he doesn't do everything he can (go hard after Lewan, Khalil, Marpet, Matthews) at least one top free agent lineman & use our draft picks to continue to build a solid line to protect Darnold my faith in him will be over. There are way too many examples in this league lately to prove the importance of solid lines in the trenches. 

Its time to start drafting high end positions now that he's landed Darnold. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets do need to get better along the OL. I would argue they are a bit better than most give credit for, but still far from a strength.

That said, the Cowboys have made the playoffs 2 times in 4 years since drafting Zack Martin and starting the vaunted OL.  That's not exactly dominating.  There is no 1 sure fire blueprint to NFL success, outside of having an elite QB.

People bash Mac, myself among them. Let's talk for a moment about the good moves.

-Finding Kelvin Beachum an above average LT (PFF has him like 16th) on free agency was a coup. Nate Solder just became the highest paid lineman in football. Beachum is either going to require a big contract or a high first round replacement. 

-Brandon Shell was a good pick. He's still raw but the talent (bloodlines) are real. He's a starting RT they found in rd 5. and he still has untapped upside, if Cordy Glenn can play LT why can't Brandon Shell? 

So those are the two tackles and instead of saying  Mac doesn't draft OL we could say Mac didn't need to use a high pick on either. 

looking at last year's OL class it was possible for the Jets' to find help. They could have stuck at 6 and taken Nelson or kept the 2s and found help there. The quality of the Darnold pick (and these other possible draftees that fit the ZBS like Brian Oneill and Braden Smith) will determine if that was smart move or not. It wasn't an elite tackle group at the top (this year's crop far better) but they could have found help. 

But we can't talk about the lack of drafting OL or EDGE without talking about the fact the jets lost Mo and ASJ to FA, traded Sheldon and used the entire rest of the non-Darnold draft to replace those trouble spots.  

My frustration with this crew is they are on an endless treadmill with DL, ILB and S. They are building the team from the defense and giving Darnold no real playmakers. Next year's pick will likely be another DL we all know it's coming.  It's a historic DL year. 

33 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The Jets do need to get better along the OL. I would argue they are a bit better than most give credit for, but still far from a strength.

That said, the Cowboys have made the playoffs 2 times in 4 years since drafting Zack Martin and starting the vaunted OL.  That's not exactly dominating.  There is no 1 sure fire blueprint to NFL success, outside of having an elite QB.

2 times in 4 years is very impressive when you've missed the playoffs prior to that for so long, football fans started questioning why the Cowboys are talked about at all! The Jets were in the playoffs 2 years also, and that was 8 years ago now. There is a correlation. That Eagles Oline absolutely DOMINATED the Pats defense, which wasn't even close to as good as 2010 when the Jets Oline did the same in Gillette, paving the way for that Shonn Green jaunt to the endzone to close out the game!

The best QB in the NFL becomes no more than average or worse if he's constantly hurried and knocked over.  Protect a good QB behind a solid offensive line and you have the blueprint for a consistently competitive team.  It ain't rocket science. 

3 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

The best QB in the NFL becomes no more than average or worse if he's constantly hurried and knocked over.  Protect a good QB behind a solid offensive line and you have the blueprint for a consistently competitive team.  It ain't rocket science. 

You would think that Macc coming from the organization that LITERALLY got David Carr killed & ruined the poor guy before he had a chance would know better.

Im not that down on the Jets Oline but they are so thin. How does Macc pass on a center (Eiflin) for Ardarious Stewart? Knowing that Wesley Johnson is a jag? 

Thats probably the rub with fans. Those type of decisions made in the draft are what keep you treading water & forcing overpaying positions you fail at in free agency.

9 minutes ago, Jetster said:

2 times in 4 years is very impressive when you've missed the playoffs prior to that for so long, football fans started questioning why the Cowboys are talked about at all! The Jets were in the playoffs 2 years also, and that was 8 years ago now. There is a correlation. That Eagles Oline absolutely DOMINATED the Pats defense, which wasn't even close to as good as 2010 when the Jets Oline did the same in Gillette, paving the way for that Shonn Green jaunt to the endzone to close out the game!

The Cowboys were 8-8 each in the 3 seasons leading up to that.  They did not make some astronomical leap from the gutter of the NFL.

Your definition of impressive and mine just aren't the same, I suppose. No big deal.

It was time to draft olineman BEFORE getting the franchise Qb and the tool has had 4 years to do so.

The cavalry is not coming via free agency.  The guys that become available are almost always with big question marks and the very rare good oliemman that shakes loose is courted by every team in the league.

I'd say that Mac my abe realizing the need for oline at about the same time as the op.

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

It will be easier to sign FA line help if Darnold looks legit. 

The focus from here on out has to be offense across the board with the obvious exception of pass rusher. 

I think it will take some time & experience but the one thing that has been repeated about Sam Darnold is instincts to feel pressure. He had a lot of fumbles but he also tried to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t. 

He was under pressure A LOT behind a young overwhelmed line at USC, losing 3 after 2016. I'm hoping Darnold is one of those (eyes behind his head QBs). Brady is like that. You know the QBs, the defense has them dead to rights but somehow they feel the pressure & step up at exactly the right moment. That is one of Darnolds assets & that alone helps the Oline. It keeps the line focused on keeping at it & not giving up on blocks. I want Sam to start & get immediate experience, I see no upside  to him standing on the sidelines.

12 minutes ago, Jetster said:

You would think that Macc coming from the organization that LITERALLY got David Carr killed & ruined the poor guy before he had a chance would know better.

Im not that down on the Jets Oline but they are so thin. How does Macc pass on a center (Eiflin) for Ardarious Stewart? Knowing that Wesley Johnson is a jag? 

Thats probably the rub with fans. Those type of decisions made in the draft are what keep you treading water & forcing overpaying positions you fail at in free agency.

LOL. In every post where you defend Macc I have given this example. Macc has virtually ignored the OL in the draft for years. You can't build something when you have no solid foundation in place. After drafting Darnold in the 1st he should have been focused on OL in the draft. At least in the 3rd round. Now we are left with what we have and a rookie QB. I hope they will be better than last year but its one of the reasons why I don't see them improving much on last years record no matter who starts behind center.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Last night I watched a replay of the Eagles vs Falcons playoff game & the Eagles Oline was a huge reason they almost doubled the Falcons TOP. Everyone talked about that Eagles D line but the Falcons drove the entire length of the field & if not for a Julio Jones slip in the endzone would have beat that defense.

But it was the Eagles Oline that's most impressive. You would think that the powers that be would realize that their only success came because they had a kick azz Oline in 2009/2010. Even with a poor QB & a poor head coach, that Oline was pivotal in getting that team to 2 AFCCGs. Ok, I'll admit the Colts helped us get to the AFCCG in 2009. 

I agree about getting a better O-line however the Offense was 17th in 2009 and the guys up front helped with the best rushing game no doubt.. But we also had the number 1 Defense, in 2008 it was ranked 17th with a healthy Kris Jenkins in his last 2 years he only managed 7 games because of injury..

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It was time to draft olineman BEFORE getting the franchise Qb and the tool has had 4 years to do so.

The cavalry is not coming via free agency.  The guys that become available are almost always with big question marks and the very rare good oliemman that shakes loose is courted by every team in the league.

I'd say that Mac my abe realizing the need for oline at about the same time as the op.

Well, that's water under the bridge at this point. There are a lot of olineman coming up in free agency in 2019. Marpet is one of them & I doubt Tampa franchises him. Marpet would be perfect in this zone blocking scheme as he's a really smart technician. Long is a stopgap. 

You also have a chance of Matthews making it to free agency with Ryan making a fortune & Julio pining for a new contract. If Sam shows himself to be THE MAN, and the Jets with 95 million, both of these guys agents will be answering the phone. 

The OL absolutely needs to be upgraded next offseason. No arguments there.

But I don’t think the unit is a sieve as presently constructed either.

Macc has his faults, but at the end of the day, he’ll look like a genius if Darnold pans out.

Taking the Seattle and Indy trades into account...the guy essentially traded Sheldon Richardson and a 2nd round pick for Sam Darnold, Jermaine Kearse and Henry Anderson. Pretty damn outstanding if you ask me. Especially since I never thought we’d get more than maybe a conditional 4th round pick for Sheldon considering his bullsh*t off the field and only having one year left on his rookie deal at the time.

8 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

LOL. In every post where you defend Macc I have given this example. Macc has virtually ignored the OL in the draft for years. You can't build something when you have no solid foundation in place. After drafting Darnold in the 1st he should have been focused on OL in the draft. At least in the 3rd round. Now we are left with what we have and a rookie QB. I hope they will be better than last year but its one of the reasons why I don't see them improving much on last years record no matter who starts behind center.

Dennison could turn them around. The Patriots have been turning over their Oline with no names for years, and as soon as Scarnecchia came back out of retirement he solidified their play since. Coaching is important. Say what you will about Callahan, he was a helluva good Oline coach. I'd be shocked if Garcia is any good. I just can't see a coach like Scarnecchia telling Belichick to cut a player with upside. 

We'll see. Let's hope Garcia turns out to be the one that got away & Scarnecchia was wrong about. Every coach makes mistakes (Cutting Danny Woodhead & keeping Joe McNight).

22 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Well, that's water under the bridge at this point. There are a lot of olineman coming up in free agency in 2019. Marpet is one of them & I doubt Tampa franchises him. Marpet would be perfect in this zone blocking scheme as he's a really smart technician. Long is a stopgap. 

You also have a chance of Matthews making it to free agency with Ryan making a fortune & Julio pining for a new contract. If Sam shows himself to be THE MAN, and the Jets with 95 million, both of these guys agents will be answering the phone. 

I want to see them focus on OL in free agency because I want the option to draft a pass rusher -if there- to remain open. Not having a second round pick hurts, too. Depending on where they end up, trading back could be a good option. 

15 minutes ago, slats said:

I want to see them focus on OL in free agency because I want the option to draft a pass rusher -if there- to remain open. Not having a second round pick hurts, too. Depending on where they end up, trading back could be a good option. 

Honestly, looking at next years FA crop...I’d prefer the opposite.

There’s a snowballs chance in hell that a guy like Taylor Lewan hits the market (if he does, throw the goddamn bank at him and then some) and I don’t see any other OT’s worth the time of day.

And the only interior OL that looks to be a promising young player is Marpet.

On the flip side, some decent passrushers should hit the market. 

Anthony Barr would be my top target and I’d also look to bring in another guy like Dante Fowler, Shaquil Barrett, or even Shane Ray.

Then make OT the top priority in Round 1 in what is shaping up to be the best OT class of at least the last 3 years. I’d also be all in favor of coming right back and taking an interior OL in the 3rd to develop for a year or two.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

It will be easier to sign FA line help if Darnold looks legit. 

The focus from here on out has to be offense across the board with the obvious exception of pass rusher. 

I believe we are set up to approach our future in this way. Anyone disagree?

28 minutes ago, slats said:

Same.  Which makes me wonder why, in a season where we had nearly unlimited cap room, there wasn't even a rumor we were pursuing Andrew Norwell in FA.  There may be an argument that Long was as good as the other Centers available for our needs but Norwell would have been an enormous upgrade to the entire OL.  The only argument that makes sense to me is they really think Winters will be a different player after healing from hi injury last season but I think Norwell is better than either of our guys by a wide margin.  Feels like an opportunity missed.

We'll have to wait and hope that a few of the quality OL who are UFA next year make it to Free Agency.  All the cap in the world won't matter if nobody worthwhile is available.  

okay we all get the needs for a good oline.  but i'd point out that only two of those players on the 2009 and 2010 olines were drafted by the jets.  the rest were free agent pick ups. granted brick and mangold are near hof players but it seems to be more about these players playing together as opposed to getting gold caliber players.  it used to be it took about 3 seasons for an oline to come together.  i'm not sure if teams have that much time these days.  we've also seen teams like the patsies and steelers do pretty well without the gold caliber players.  after all it's still a team sport and finally solving the qb problem will go a long way to fixing the oline.

37 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Honestly, looking at next years FA crop...I’d prefer the opposite.

There’s a snowballs chance in hell that a guy like Taylor Lewan hits the market (if he does, throw the goddamn bank at him and then some) and I don’t see any other OT’s worth the time of day.

And the only interior OL that looks to be a promising young player is Marpet.

On the flip side, some decent passrushers should hit the market. 

Anthony Barr would be my top target and I’d also look to bring in another guy like Dante Fowler, Shaquil Barrett, or even Shane Ray.

Then make OT the top priority in Round 1 in what is shaping up to be the best OT class of at least the last 3 years. I’d also be all in favor of coming right back and taking an interior OL in the 3rd to develop for a year or two.

I think free agency should be about meeting as many needs as you can to free up the draft for a BAP approach - especially in the early rounds. I'd hate to go into the draft determined to draft a LT, only to watch them come off the board before my pick. 

Premier pass rushers come free less frequently than top OL. Anthony Barr would be an example. The guy had four sacks as a rookie, and his sack totals have decreased every year since. He's not a guy who's gonna solve the Jets' pass-rushing woes. I'm all for targeting pass rushers, too, but my hope is that, between Darnold and Dennison, FA OL want to come to the Jets next year. Bowles won't fire his buddy, so coaching on that side of the ball will continue to suck. 

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

People bash Mac, myself among them. Let's talk for a moment about the good moves.

-Finding Kelvin Beachum an above average LT (PFF has him like 16th) on free agency was a coup. Nate Solder just became the highest paid lineman in football. Beachum is either going to require a big contract or a high first round replacement. 

Wouldn't 16th be the very definition of average?

40 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Same.  Which makes me wonder why, in a season where we had nearly unlimited cap room, there wasn't even a rumor we were pursuing Andrew Norwell in FA.  There may be an argument that Long was as good as the other Centers available for our needs but Norwell would have been an enormous upgrade to the entire OL.  The only argument that makes sense to me is they really think Winters will be a different player after healing from hi injury last season but I think Norwell is better than either of our guys by a wide margin.  Feels like an opportunity missed.

We'll have to wait and hope that a few of the quality OL who are UFA next year make it to Free Agency.  All the cap in the world won't matter if nobody worthwhile is available.  

I think Norwell had options & the NY Jets as presently constructed during 2018 free agency period wasn't 1 the most impressive to him. Free agents have choices & the Jets ALWAYS have to overpay. 

6 hours ago, Jetster said:

You also need to look no further than the Dallas Cowboys to see how their fortunes changed when Jerry Jones started drafting top college lineman. Here was a team that hadn't sniffed the playoffs for years but once they solidified that Oline, drafted Zac & Elliott, boom, contender. 

I've been defending Macc & believe he's done a decent job turning over this horrific roster that he was left with by Tanny, Rex & Idzik, but with 95 million, a year after drafting what we hope is a franchise QB, if he doesn't do everything he can (go hard after Lewan, Khalil, Marpet, Matthews) at least one top free agent lineman & use our draft picks to continue to build a solid line to protect Darnold my faith in him will be over. There are way too many examples in this league lately to prove the importance of solid lines in the trenches. 

It is not just mac, but Bowles equally to blame. When you have a HC who is demanding you draft D in all your early rounds,except for a qb, and making your gm spend   only $$ on top D players, your not left with much for O. Todd Bowles/mac is a mirror image of rex/ mike t. Rex loved to run the Bowles, like Bowles wants to run the ball, like most D gurus. Rex had the horses mainly on what mangini wanted, a strong OL. We drafted two studs at 4 and 33. Had woody, and Fanaca. They made a pretty penny. We saw what happened when Rex came in. Although he benefited early on what mangini helped build,  The Oline was ignored under Rex era. because Rex wanted all the resources )draft and pricy D FA) for his D. We are now in the twilight zone.

There is some school of thought that you can either draft middle round guys and develop them, especially at Guard, or that you can find decent quality guys in FA, mostly at RT or OG.  I do agree with this.  But you're almost guaranteed to never find any of the following in FA or the middle/later rounds of the draft...

1. Quality Left Tackle

2. Quality Center with leadership abilities

3. High quality, stud OGs

If you want a "fill in" at OG or RT then go for it....play the market and look for ways to buy low.  But at the important positions and if you want anything close to high quality at other spots, you have to invest by using 1st and 2nd round picks.  Not every year, but certainly at least once every second or third year you have to use an early round pick.

It's time to find our next Brick and Mangold.  That ain't happening past the 2nd round or in FA.

8 hours ago, Jetster said:

The old saying, “wars are won and lost in the trenches holds true”

9 hours ago, Jetster said:

As someone else side, pretty much preaching to the choir, but I have to see that if a GM told me that he was not a proponent of spending high round draft picks on OL, I would likely not even hire him. Macs stance on the OL is perplexing at best and his hierarchy of position importance does not align with mine at all. I would as an example NEVER draft an in the box safety or tweener ILB and yet we have spent 2 first rounders there. 

11 hours ago, bitonti said:

-Brandon Shell was a good pick. He's still raw but the talent (bloodlines) are real. He's a starting RT they found in rd 5. and he still has untapped upside, if Cordy Glenn can play LT why can't Brandon Shell? 

So those are the two tackles and instead of saying  Mac doesn't draft OL we could say Mac didn't need to use a high pick on either. 

looking at last year's OL class it was possible for the Jets' to find help. They could have stuck at 6 and taken Nelson or kept the 2s and found help there. The quality of the Darnold pick (and these other possible draftees that fit the ZBS like Brian Oneill and Braden Smith) will determine if that was smart move or not. It wasn't an elite tackle group at the top (this year's crop far better) but they could have found help. 

But we can't talk about the lack of drafting OL or EDGE without talking about the fact the jets lost Mo and ASJ to FA, traded Sheldon and used the entire rest of the non-Darnold draft to replace those trouble spots.  

My frustration with this crew is they are on an endless treadmill with DL, ILB and S. They are building the team from the defense and giving Darnold no real playmakers. Next year's pick will likely be another DL we all know it's coming.  It's a historic DL year. 

Could live with a 2-14 season with discernible progress by Darnold if Nick Bosa is at the end of the rainbow and Bowles is sent packing.

15 hours ago, bitonti said:

Very nice and well thought out post!! :) 

Archived