Fantasy Football season is here!

jetstream23

I'm in two leagues, a 10-team PPR league with a regular snake draft and a 12-team PPR league with an Auction draft ($200 budget for drafting players)

I'll start thinking about player rankings in the next week or so to prep for drafts that typically take place during the 3rd week of NFL Preseason.

Fortunately, I'm in leagues that don't have many (or any) Jets fans so I think I'd be able to pick up some decent backup WRs and RBs like Robby Anderson and Crowell in the very late rounds.

Any thoughts on this season?  Care to share your draft strategies or Top 10 lists?

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a Jetnation FF league going? Also PPR is horrible, I just can't buy into it. 1 it really doesnt add much to the player pool in a t 12 man league. and the idea that some slot receiver can make 0 impact in a game but score 16 points off of 60 years and 10 catches which is nothing, while a RB can go off for 150 and score less...

just makes no sense to me.

On 7/30/2018 at 1:37 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Is there a Jetnation FF league going? Also PPR is horrible, I just can't buy into it. 1 it really doesnt add much to the player pool in a t 12 man league. and the idea that some slot receiver can make 0 impact in a game but score 16 points off of 60 years and 10 catches which is nothing, while a RB can go off for 150 and score less...

I run a league and we do .5 points per reception, 1 point per 20 yards rushing/receiving and 6 points for a TD.  My position on some level of PPR (be it .5 or a full 1 point) is that it adds value to guys who contribute on offense in a variety of ways.  Look at it like this in a non-PPR....

Player 1:  1 catch, 2 yards, TD gets 6 Total Points.

Player 2:  5 catches, 59 yards, 0 TD gets 2 Total Points.

Huge difference when you can see that Player 2 was obviously a bigger part of the offense and Player 1 could have been Jumbo Elliott catching the "hamburger" on a goal line play.  To me, the above simply has too much luck and not enough skill, planning, thought involved with how to select players.  I like taking luck out of the equation and rewarding teams that draft well and can do things like foresee big roles for players that maybe other teams can't predict.

I don't know.  Just my opinion.

On 7/30/2018 at 4:37 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

On 8/3/2018 at 3:26 PM, jetstream23 said:

I run a league and we do .5 points per reception, 1 point per 20 yards rushing/receiving and 6 points for a TD.  My position on some level of PPR (be it .5 or a full 1 point) is that it adds value to guys who contribute on offense in a variety of ways.  Look at it like this in a non-PPR....

Player 1:  1 catch, 2 yards, TD gets 6 Total Points.

Player 2:  5 catches, 59 yards, 0 TD gets 2 Total Points.

Huge difference when you can see that Player 2 was obviously a bigger part of the offense and Player 1 could have been Jumbo Elliott catching the "hamburger" on a goal line play.  To me, the above simply has too much luck and not enough skill, planning, thought involved with how to select players.  I like taking luck out of the equation and rewarding teams that draft well and can do things like foresee big roles for players that maybe other teams can't predict.

I don't know.  Just my opinion.

It took me years to warm up to acccepting half-point PPR.  But now, I can never go back.  Besides, most ranking services default to half point PPR and some full point.  DFS also uses ppr.  The world of "standard" (non-ppr) is almost entirely gone.  Like it or not, the new "standard" is PPR.

6 hours ago, Dcat said:

It took me years to warm up to acccepting half-point PPR.  But now, I can never go back.  Besides, most ranking services default to half point PPR and some full point.  DFS also uses ppr.  The world of "standard" (non-ppr) is almost entirely gone.  Like it or not, the new "standard" is PPR.

Even crazier was the scoring two decades ago when FF was just starting.  I remember a league that only gave you points (6) for touchdowns and then you got 5 points if your RB got 100 yards.  That was IT for RB scoring.  lol  Imagine having a RB rush for 99 yards and get tackled on the goal line.... 0 points.

39 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Even crazier was the scoring two decades ago when FF was just starting.  I remember a league that only gave you points (6) for touchdowns and then you got 5 points if your RB got 100 yards.  That was IT for RB scoring.  lol  Imagine having a RB rush for 99 yards and get tackled on the goal line.... 0 points.

Trivia: Name the NY Jet RB that had a 99 yard carry but no TD. (If that isn't the Jetsiest  thing, then I don't know what is.)  If I recall correctly, there was no TD on the next set of downs despite 1st & Goal from inside the one. Jetsy, Jetsy, Jetsy. Was a home game against the Bears IIRC.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Trivia: Name the NY Jet RB that had a 99 yard carry but no TD. (If that isn't the Jetsiest  thing, then I don't know what is.)  If I recall correctly, there was no TD on the next set of downs despite 1st & Goal from inside the one. Jetsy, Jetsy, Jetsy. Was a home game against the Bears IIRC.

You got me.  I haven't googled it but I'll go with Johnny Hector?

Speaking of Jetsy things, whenever I hear 99 yard rush I think of that Week 1 game in San Francisco in 1998 when Garrison Hearst rushed for that 99 yard TD to win the game.  Glenn Foley played great that game and Parcells was completely dejected in the loss.  Despite the Week 1 loss the Jets went to the AFCCG that year.

(EDIT:  Doh...it was a 96 yard TD.  Still felt painful)

18 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

You got me.  I haven't googled it but I'll go with Johnny Hector?

Speaking of Jetsy things, whenever I hear 99 yard rush I think of that Week 1 game in San Francisco in 1998 when Garrison Hearst rushed for that 99 yard TD to win the game.  Glenn Foley played great that game and Parcells was completely dejected in the loss.  Despite the Week 1 loss the Jets went to the AFCCG that year.

(EDIT:  Doh...it was a 96 yard TD.  Still felt painful)

September 1994. Home vs Bears. Johnny Johnson with a 90+ yard run from the 1 yard line. Tackled inside the 10 yard line. 3 plays later, Jets settle for field goal. 

Archived