July Madness: All Time Draft Discussion Thread

Lith

We will start Monday morning at 8:00 Eastern.  We will open up a separate thread in the AM for picks -- all discussion should be in this thread.

Draft will be a snake draft, round 1 1 to 24, Round 2 24 to 1, etc.

Each player will select two players each round - one offense and one defense, except last two rounds which will be one player.  If we did two players last round, it would give unfair advantage to those picking early.  Since we are picking 22 players, if I am picking first, I would pick first in 12 rounds and last in 10; 24th player would be at a similar disadvantage.  Last two rounds picking single player means I would pick first 11 times and last 11 times.

Each player will have three hours to submit both picks.  Clock runs from 8AM to 11PM Eastern.  If you are not going to be around and your picks are coming up, please send a couple of choices for offense and defense by PM to JetsFan80, Paradis and me.  One of us will make pick for you to keep things moving.

No trades of players or picks.  Once a player is picked, the pick is final.

No roster requirements other than fielding a normal 11 player offense and defense.

Below is link to the spradsheet that I will keep updated throughout the draft.  The player list is an extract from Pro Football Reference based upon career accomplishments; more recent players may be excluded, so just use it as a tool.  I added the list primarily becuase the list makes it easier for me to keep the draft updated.  Any current or former player is eligible.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OPAlfs_O_7jXNb2m03T6RrIb4G4tZrYLI0K14qKV0wM/edit?usp=sharing

I will do my best to update the sheet at least daily, but there will be times over the next couple of weeks where I will not be able to be online much so it is up to you to keep up with the draft.  Sucks when work gets in the way of a mock draft. 

Any volunteers to be given "write" access to the sheet who can help me keep it updated???

Top 10 Picks:

Pick # Player Team Team Owner O/D Position
1 Jerry Rice* 1 BallinPB O WR
2 Joe Montana* 2 New York Mick O QB
3 Lawrence Taylor* 3 HawkeyeJet D LB
4 Tom Brady 4 Paradis O QB
5 Reggie White* 5 T0mShane D DL
6 Deion Sanders* 6 HessStation D DB
7 Barry Sanders* 7 Patriot Killa O RB
8 Anthony Munoz* 8 nyjunc O OL
9 Jim Brown* 9 UntouchableCrew O RB
10 Dan Marino* 10 BigO O QB

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Startiing Monday at 8AM.  Draft Order:

1    @BallinPB
2    @New York Mick
3    @HawkeyeJet
4    @Paradis
5    @T0mShane
6    @HessStation
7    @Patriot Killa
8    @chirorob
9    @UntouchableCrew
10  @BigO
11  @Bombdirt
12  @nycdan
13  @Jetlife33
14  @Obrien2Toon
15  @XavierSnooze
16  @sourceworx
17  @Jetsfan80
18  @#27TheDominator
19  @Long Island Leprechaun
20  @Dunnie 
21  @Stark
22  @Lupz27 
23  @JiF 
24  @greenwichjetfan

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Awesome. I’ll be ready to go!

I’m definitely hoping Jamal Adams will be there when it’s my pick but i’m not sure he will be..

Every team needs a cheerleader ? 

33 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

3rd pick.  Awesome.  So am I understanding this correctly, when I draft R1 P3, I'm actually picking two guys, 1 O and 1 D?

Yup, you will make picks 5 & 6.  But that also means you have wait to the 90s to make your next two picks.

Thank you@Lith for being a champion and getting us organized while I’m moving and without proper internet. And thank you@Jetsfan80 for modding the first round or so of picks.

By Wednesday I’ll be set up to be more involved and assisting in tracking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Lith said:

Startiing Monday at 8AM.  Draft Order:

1    @BallinPB
2    @New York Mick
3    @HawkeyeJet
4    @Paradis
5    @T0mShane
6    @HessStation
7    @Patriot Killa
8    @chirorob
9    @UntouchableCrew
10  @BigO
11  @Bombdirt
12  @nycdan
13  @Jetlife33
14  @Obrien2Toon
15  @XavierSnooze
16  @sourceworx
17  @Jetsfan80
18  @#27TheDominator
19  @Long Island Leprechaun
20  @Dunnie 
21  @Stark
22  @Lupz27 
23  @JiF 
24  @greenwichjetfan

Ill watch, i jusr cant right now.

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

Tagging lith back in. Lulz. You gave up a number 1 spot for nothing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@chirorob, you sure you want out?  If so, I will step in at pick 8, or if there are any lurkers/watchers that want in, let us know and the 8th picks are yours.

Not to complain BUT....

the 2 picks on both sides of the ball, right off the rip, severely handicaps the teams drafting later in the round.  For example at 23, basically, 50 of the greatest players off all time will be off the board by the time I pick.  And the top 50 are significantly better and more valuable than the rest.  Basically, I'm not getting any best at this specific position type players at 23.  I'm already looking for tier 2.  Outside of the top 20 in some cases creates a significant gap in value.  Another way to put it, I'm not going to get a single player on either side of the ball that is considered a top 20 player of all time.

Kind of sucks and defeats the purpose of drafting an all time team.  I'm not.  I'm not drafting the dream team, I'm drafting the team the back-up dream team.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Not to complain BUT....

the 2 picks on both sides of the ball, right off the rip, severely handicaps the teams drafting later in the round.  For example at 23, basically, 50 of the greatest players off all time will be off the board by the time I pick.  And the top 50 are significantly better and more valuable than the rest.  Basically, I'm not getting any best at this specific position type players at 23.  I'm already looking for tier 2.  Outside of the top 20 in some cases creates a significant gap in value.  Another way to put it, I'm not going to get a single player on either side of the ball that is considered a top 20 player of all time.

Kind of sucks and defeats the purpose of drafting an all time team.  I'm not.  I'm not drafting the dream team, I'm drafting the team the back-up dream team.

But if we did it 1 pick per team, the draft would be 528 individual picks.  Way too long.  Your concerns are noted, but I also think you underestimate the depth in the draft. 

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

Not to complain BUT....

I’m 24th, and although I get 24 and 25 due to the snake, it’s really picks 47-50 inclusive. I had the same thoughts when I first saw my slot. Those feelings have been reinforced as I do my research.

Obviously I get the logic, and it’s definitely hard to get this going and put it all together for a group of random internet strangers, so definitely appreciate the effort everyone’s putting into it...but that doesn’t mean these late slots don’t kinda suck. We might get a few stragglers from the top 30-40 range, but in general the droppoff is significant from top 20 to late 40s.

Oh well, should be fun to build a team against the odds!

29 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But if we did it 1 pick per team, the draft would be 528 individual picks.  Way too long.  Your concerns are noted, but I also think you underestimate the depth in the draft. 

Fair...but start it after the 1st round.  I'm not getting a single top 20 player on either side of the ball in this set up.  It's a considerable disadvantage. Hypothetically, if everyone went QB for example with their first round pick...I'm stuck with the 23rd best QB?  That kinda sucks.

Its just for fun so I wont drag this out but the 1st round should be 1 pick.  Let everyone decide how they want to sculpt their team.  D vs. O.  QB vs. Pass Rusher, etc.  Make them make a choice.  Then go 2 picks the rest of the way.  The difference in only 22 players off the board, vs. 44, is HUGE.  

All good though, I wont say more just wanted to throw it out there for thought.  

8 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I’m 24th, and although I get 24 and 25 due to the snake, it’s really picks 47-50 inclusive. I had the same thoughts when I first saw my slot. Those feelings have been reinforced as I do my research.

Obviously I get the logic, and it’s definitely hard to get this going and put it all together for a group of random internet strangers, so definitely appreciate the effort everyone’s putting into it...but that doesn’t mean these late slots don’t kinda suck. We might get a few stragglers from the top 30-40 range, but in general the droppoff is significant from top 20 to late 40s.

Oh well, should be fun to build a team against the odds!

That's my point...sure there is depth but when we're talking all time, its a HUGE drop off.  Like HUGE.

Again, hypothetically, we're not getting a top 5 player in any single significant positional group.  

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Fair...but start it after the 1st round.  I'm not getting a single top 20 player on either side of the ball in this set up.  It's a considerable disadvantage. Hypothetically, if everyone went QB for example with their first round pick...I'm stuck with the 23rd best QB?  That kinda sucks.

Its just for fun so I wont drag this out but the 1st round should be 1 pick.  Let everyone decide how they want to sculpt their team.  D vs. O.  QB vs. Pass Rusher, etc.  Make them make a choice.  Then go 2 picks the rest of the way.  The difference in only 22 players off the board, vs. 44, is HUGE.  

All good though, I wont say more just wanted to throw it out there for thought.  

I don't think all the top 20 guys will be gone.  You have to assume a few people will make "mistakes". 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't think all the top 20 guys will be gone.  You have to assume a few people will make "mistakes". 

100% they will be.  It's an all time team, there arent going to be mistakes.  lol

I think it should be 1 pick in the 1st but all good.  I appreciate the effort. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But having said that I kind of like your idea of the first 24 only being one pick.  @Lith and @Paradis thoughts?  Its not too late to change it up.  

I was thinking the same thing.  We do the first two rounds 24 picks each and then start doubling up in R3.  As long as we can get the message out that the first 2 rounds are one pick only I think it makes sense.

1 minute ago, Lith said:

I was thinking the same thing.  We do the first two rounds 24 picks each and then start doubling up in R3.  As long as we can get the message out that the first 2 rounds are one pick only I think it makes sense.

OK lets do that.  I'll post it in the thread now.

Archived