July Madness: All Time Draft Discussion Thread

Lith

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

@BallinPB @New York Mick @Paradis @Lith

NOTE THE CHANGE IN RULES BELOW

The first round of the draft will be one pick ONLY.  You can pick any player you'd like, offense OR defense.  Rounds 2 and beyond everyone will pick 2 players each. 

First two rounds of the spreadsheet reflect this change -- I will fix the rest of it later.  1 pick each in round 1 and round 2.  Then two picks beginning in R3.

Just now, New York Mick said:

The people picking early pick pick one player then the people picking later pick three players before we pick again??

Correct.  The talent pool is top-heavy, so the advantage of getting a super elite talent at the top outweighs the downside of the "2nd tier" talent being gone by the next pick. 

Just now, New York Mick said:

The people picking early pick pick one player then the people picking later pick three players before we pick again??

No.  Everyone picks one player in Round 1.  Reverse the order and pick one player in R2.  We will double up beginning in R3.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Correct.  The talent pool is top-heavy, so the advantage of getting a super elite talent at the top outweighs the downside of the "2nd tier" talent being gone by the next pick. 

Sorry - I assumed you meant we would pick one each in R1, snake (reverse) order and pick one more in R2.  Then begin to double up in R3.

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

I was thinking the same thing.  We do the first two rounds 24 picks each and then start doubling up in R3.  As long as we can get the message out that the first 2 rounds are one pick only I think it makes sense.

Sweet!  Thanks for listening!  I hate complaining when I know you're doing this on your own time for the fun of some bozo's on the interwebz but I really think this is going to make it more even and more interesting.  It will force you to make a decision on how you want to sculpt your team instead of having the easy way out.  Like, the first overall guy getting LT and (who ever they feel the best QB of all time is)...that's tough to swallow if you're sitting at 23 waiting to see who drops.  They should have to chose, 1 or the other and build the team from there.

Just now, Lith said:

Sorry - I assumed you meant we would pick one each in R1, snake (reverse) order and pick one more in R2.  Then begin to double up in R3.

You're right, this is better.  First 2 rounds, 1 pick each.  Only fair way to do it. 

Rd 1  1-24  1 pick

Rd 2  24-1   1 pick

Rd 3   1-24   2 picks  

Rd 4    24-1   2 picks  etc 

Is this the set up now?  And when we go to 2 picks do we go offense and defense or are we allowed to pick 2 offense or 2 defense? 

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep except you have it as 2-24 when its 1-24 for the 1st round. 

Hmmmm them the no. 1 slot gets 3 consecutive picks - end of round 2 and gets 2 at beginning of round 3. Not exactly fair either.  Would it fairer for the people in the back to start the double picks in round 3. So it would look like this

Rd 1  1-24  1 pick

Rd 2  24-1   1 pick

Rd 3   24-1  2 picks  

Rd 4  1-24  2 picks  

Rd 5    24-1  2 picks etc

This distributes the talent level out more in the initial 3 rounds. Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, BigO said:

Hmmmm them the no. 1 slot gets 3 consecutive picks - end of round 2 and gets 2 at beginning of round 3. Not exactly fair either.  Would it fairer for the people in the back to start the double picks in round 3. So it would look like this

Rd 1  1-24  1 pick

Rd 2  24-1   1 pick

Rd 3   24-1  2 picks  

Rd 4  1-24  2 picks  

It’s more fair to pick only one player but it will take forever 

5 minutes ago, BigO said:

Rd 1  1-24  1 pick

Rd 2  24-1   1 pick

Rd 3   24-1  2 picks  

Rd 4  1-24  2 picks  

Its fair to have Round 3 be the beginning of the double picks.  The talent is very spread out once you get outside the top 20 on each side of the ball.  Should work out well. 

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

JiF had a good idea?  And we are following it?  I am ****ed.  i was worried picking at 18 I'd ent up with a sh*t RB, like Franco Harris. 

Here’s a dark horse for you....Blair Thomas. 

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Its fair to have Round 3 be the beginning of the double picks.  The talent is very spread out once you get outside the top 20 on each side of the ball.  Should work out well. 

What about when we go 2 picks? Can we mix it up throughout the rounds and pick 2 offense or 2 defense? 

Just now, BallinPB said:

ok ok I have my picks ready.  

First off I'm going with the person I believe is arguably the best player of all time.  On offense I pick:

WR Jerry Rice

Defense I'm going with:

LB Lawrence Taylor

Please read the FINE PRINT

15 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Crazy fact nobody probably knows.

Blair Thomas had a higher career average rushing yards per attempt than Curtis Martin.  

Ricky Bell didn't!

7 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

PB made his pick, #2 is up 

It was a good pick.  I'm glad I don't have to pick that fidget.  We are going to bust him up!

Archived