July Madness: All Time Draft Discussion Thread

Lith

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

There’s a handful of defensive players that could of went first. LT is arguably the best D player in history. 

He was easily # 1 overall on my board, with a big gap between him and the rest of the pack of NFL players.  Pass-rushing wins games in any era, and LT is so far and away the best pass rusher of all-time, you're putting your team in a great position by building around him.  No matter what OT he's across from, he can dominate.  In any era. 

HawkeyeJet would have to screw up very badly the rest of the way not to get my vote to win his 1st round game. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He was # 1 overall on my board.  Pass-rushing wins games in any era, and LT is so far and away the best pass rusher of all-time, you're putting your team in a great position by building around him.  No matter what OT he's across from, he can dominate.  In any era. 

The key of the first round to me is to get the best player of all time at any position of importance.

There’s a handful of defensive players that could of went first. LT is arguably the best D player in history. 

Those of us old enough to have watched him play were fortunate.  I don't think there is a player today or even since him who commands so much attention on every single play.  Where is LT?  Where's he lining up?  Who's on him?  Is he rushing the QB?  Every...single...play.  

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

BTW - this reminds me that we should generally not mention names here that haven't been drafted.  It's not usually a hard rule, but it's frustrating when you're a few picks away and someone mentions xxx and he gets drafted right before you so try to use your best judgment on that.

Yep, there were a couple of times earlier in the thread that I wanted to give my 2cents about who I would have taken, but decided against it.

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Those of us old enough to have watched him play were fortunate.  I don't think there is a player today or even since him who commands so much attention on every single play.  Where is LT?  Where's he lining up?  Who's on him?  Is he rushing the QB?  Every...single...play.  

Yep.  He changed the way the game is played.  It's like taking The Beatles in an all-time bands draft, or The Godfather in an all-time movies draft.  Sure, maybe there's some debate that he's # 1, but you at least have to acknowledge he's in consideration, and the impact he had. 

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He was easily # 1 overall on my board, with a big gap between him and the rest of the pack of NFL players.  Pass-rushing wins games in any era, and LT is so far and away the best pass rusher of all-time, you're putting your team in a great position by building around him.  No matter what OT he's across from, he can dominate.  In any era. 

I would put Jones in the same sentence as LT as for as passrushers and there’s a lot more of them then QBs. The top guys don’t draft again until the 40s so the good QBs are going to be gone but they’ll be passrushers left. 

Just now, New York Mick said:

I would but Jones in the same sentence as LT as for as passrushers and there’s a lot more of them then QBs. The top guys don’t draft again until the 40s so the good QBs are going to be gone but they’ll be passrushers left.  

Eh, I'm OK with getting a 2nd or 3rd-tier QB.  If I do a good job of building the rest of the roster, then the difference between my QB and someone else's doesn't matter too much.  Plus, there's so much debate over how people actually rank the QB's, so there's a bunch I'd be comfortable with. 

6 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I would put Jones in the same sentence as LT as for as passrushers and there’s a lot more of them then QBs. The top guys don’t draft again until the 40s so the good QBs are going to be gone but they’ll be passrushers left. 

A good example of what we should probably try to avoid.  Sorry Mick, but you walked right into it just after my post about this.  Save the debate for after both guys have been drafted please. 

Unless you guys feel differently but let's at least discuss and agree on how we want to handle naming guys before they are drafted.

Separate note.  Regarding 'best QBs'.  I think everyone probably has a top-3 or top-5 they feel good about.  I also think that very few of those lists would be the same and there's probably at least a dozen guys who would be on the collective top-5 lists.  We can sort that out later and see if it's true.

18 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

we could let madden decide ... i think you can do all time drafts and then simulate it. I might do that anyway.

Awesome idea but it would take quite an effort to plug all those names in each team and play it out.

8 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

You have to factor in the era in which they played. The current rules have diminished the importance of positions that were paramount in the past. A great RB or MLB matters much less now than they did 30 years ago.

15 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

In my mind, he's easily the best defensive player.  The argument in my head was if he was the best player, period.  It was him or Montana.  Both prime positions.  You took Montana, so my decision was made for me.

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

In my mind, he's easily the best defensive player.  The argument in my head was if he was the best player, period.  It was him or Montana.  Both prime positions.  You took Montana, so my decision was made for me.

Were going by when they played not current rules. 

5 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

You have to factor in the era in which they played. The current rules have diminished the importance of positions that were paramount in the past. A great RB or MLB matters much less now than they did 30 years ago.

exactly ... but their greatness during the time they played is what we are quantifying.

Were going by when they played not current rules. 

Then I think it makes LT even more of a slam dunk.  He'd still dominate on the field with today's rules.  He'd have been a monster in any generation.  Just my 2 cents.

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Then I think it makes LT even more of a slam dunk.  He'd still dominate on the field with today's rules.  He'd have been a monster in any generation.  Just my 2 cents.

Well...if you factor in drug-testing he might be slightly more mortal ;)  But still amazing.

31 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Isnt that the point ... try to vote based on players .. not modern day biases ?

I think it depends on the person. I will not vote 1 team because their team may be more modern. It will be on whoever has the "greatest all time" team. 

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

He’s a top 5 player of all time there’s no wrong place to take him. 

NOTE: If somebody misses their pick I don't think anybody including mod should make it for them....just let them make the pick whenever they get on late. It will also incentivise the person OTC the make their pick quicker. 
How long do we have for picks ?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, HessStation said:

NOTE: If somebody misses their pick I don't think anybody including mod should make it for them....just let them make the pick whenever they get on late. It will also incentivise the person OTC the make their pick quicker. 

There's going to be 288 picks in this draft, if my math is correct.  Unless we want it to carry into the NFL season, we have to set a time limit that actually is enforced.

The incentive should be, if you get autoed 2-3 picks in a row, we find a replacement.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

There's going to be 288 picks in this draft.  Unless we want it to carry into the NFL season, we have to set a time limit that actually is enforced.

The incentive should be, if you get autoed 2-3 picks in a row, we find a replacement.

Meh, if other people are making your picks then it's super lame. You should be penalized by not getting the player. If you miss two deadlines, replaced. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That works too.

@Lith @Paradis thoughts on that?

It’s not rocket science, that GM/person just has less players to choose from bc they’re 2 or 5 picks behind. Which is their own fault. If for some reason two picks are in at same time/same player, GM who is behind has to make another pick/go again.

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

It’s not rocket science, that GM/person just has less players to choose from bc they’re 2 or 5 picks behind. Which is their own fault. If for some reason two picks are in at same time/same player, GM who is behind has to make another pick/go again. 

This stuff is difficult for me, ok?  Lotta pressure.  GAWSH.  

Just a note that Paradis did send us a list, but it was when operating under the belief we'd be making 2 picks at once.  Just need confirmation from him on which player he'd want first, the O or D.  If his time runs out he'll get one of those 2 players. 

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That works too.

@Lith @Paradis thoughts on that?

So, the proposal is if you miss your pick, draft moves on without that pick being made and whenever the person gets back online they can make the pick from whomever is available at that point.  Sacrificing their draft slot by however many picks they missed.  If they miss two picks, they are out and will be replaced. 

That works for me.

Archived