Le'Veon Bell, Steelers fail to reach long-term deal, 2018 to be last in Pittsburgh

jetstream23

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24114399/leveon-bell-pittsburgh-steelers-fail-reach-long-term-deal-ahead-franchise-tag-deadline

The Pittsburgh Steelers and running back Le'Veon Bell failed to reach an agreement on a contract extension before Monday's 4 p.m. franchise tag deadline, and his agent says that means it is likely Bell's last season with the team.

"His intention was to retire as a Steeler," Adisa Bakari told ESPN's Adam Schefter. "But now that there's no deal, the practical reality is, this now likely will be Le'Veon's last season as a Steeler."

Bell will play on the franchise tag for the second consecutive year barring an unforeseen development. He tweeted after Monday's deadline passed that "2018 will be my best season to date."

The parties reopened negotiations last week and talked throughout Monday hoping to spark something, but there hasn't been much momentum toward a contract over the past few months.

"It became clear the Steelers wanted to pay the position, not the player," Bakari said.

The Bell negotiation was one of the most complicated in recent Steelers history because of Bell's leverage under the franchise tag, a sagging running back market and Bell's conviction to be paid as one of the game's best playmakers regardless of position. It has been more than 500 days since the Steelers first tagged Bell at $12.1 million on Feb. 27, 2017.

"Even though we could not reach a long-term contract agreement with Le'Veon Bell, we are excited he will be with the team in 2018," Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said in a statement. "We worked very hard to find common ground, but we were unable to accomplish that prior to today's deadline. Le'Veon will play this season under the exclusive franchise tag designation.

"After the 2018 season is completed, we again will attempt to work out a long-term contract with Le'Veon in the hope that he will continue his career with the Pittsburgh Steelers."

The Steelers made two sizable contract offers -- one last summer and one this winter -- beginning at around $13.3 million per year on average and working their way up slightly. Bell turned both of them down, telling ESPN in April that he wouldn't take a contract worth less than $14.5 million annually, based on the amount of his 2018 tag number. For months after that, negotiations lacked real momentum.

The Steelers felt their offers were good and didn't want to overinflate a position that hasn't landed a long-term deal worth more than $10 million per year since Chris Johnson and Adrian Peterson in 2011.

With that in mind, Bell always knew he could play out two franchise tags worth a combined $26.62 million and have a chance at true free agency as a 27-year-old in 2019, setting the stage for peers Todd Gurley and Ezekiel Elliott in future years.

The Bell saga twisted unexpectedly in January when the star back told ESPN he would consider retirement if asked to play on the tag for the second straight year, a stance he has since softened, though he had hinted at missing a second straight training camp in absence of a long-term deal.

"Just get the numbers straight, exactly where we want them," Bell said then. "I'm not going to settle for anything. I know what I do and what I bring to the table. I'm not going out here getting the ball 400 times if I'm not getting what I feel I'm valued at."

Bell didn't sign last season's tag until Sept. 4 and showed some rust with 3.46 yards per carry through the first three weeks. But he finished the year as an All-Pro, rushing 321 times for 1,291 yards along with 85 caches for 655 yards and 11 total touchdowns.

Bell has 7,996 total yards through 62 career regular-season games, the most of any NFL player over that span since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger, outdistancing Eric Dickerson (7,842), according to ESPN Stats & Information.

After the season, Colbert told Bell personally the team wanted him to retire a Steeler. Team president Art Rooney echoed the same sentiment in an end-of-year interview with local media.

Despite both sides wanting to finish a contract, Steelers players got used to life without Bell. They want him to get paid but also want him on the field with them.

"I think last year a lot of guys were like, 'Oh, Le'Veon's not here,'" said receiver Darrius Heyward-Beyduring offseason workouts. "Nobody cares. We're out here and we have to get work done. ... We'll see him when we see him. Next man up."  

Added safety Morgan Burnett: "You definitely understand, because it's definitely a business. Within your career, it seems long but it's only a short period of your life. So the stuff you accomplish, the money you make within this time, you want to find a way to make it expand the rest of your life."

The Steelers report to Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, for training camp on July 25. Bell has used boxing and a vegan diet this offseason to stay in shape, holding off from most football exercises to keep his knees fresh.

He'll only be 27 but there's some mileage on those tires.  Would you be interested in the Jets using some that 2019 Cap space to ink Bell to a 4 or 5 year deal?  I'm sure Sam Darnold wouldn't mind him in the backfield.

Hell no. That is not how you build a team. Spend/overpay for OL and throw anyone behind there to run. 3 good backs are better than 1 superstar IMHO. He’s old for 27 with the way Pittsburgh is running him into the ground. That’s the smart way to handle a great running back. Run him into ground, franchise and dump. 6 years is more than enough. 

Just now, Creepy Lurker said:

Hello no. That is not how you build a team. Spend/overpay for OL and throw anyone behind there to run. 3 good backs are better than 1 superstar IMHO. He’s old for 27 with the way Pittsburgh is running him into the ground. That’s the smart way to handle a great running back. Run him into ground, franchise and dump. 6 years is more than enough. 

Agreed.  The problem is Macc doesn't follow the part I highlighted.  He never drafts the young, talented guy that he can ride for 5-6 years.  Dalvin Cook should be a Jet.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Bell is going to be the one to not waste time with the Jets. He already said last year that he wants no part of us.....even if we are his favorite team.

We all know Bell is after the $$$. Else, why would you leave Pissburgh? Offer him 14.5 mil he’s seeking and he’ll wiggle his tail all the way to NY. 

40 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The Pittsburgh Steelers and running back Le'Veon Bell failed to reach an agreement on a contract extension before Monday's 4 p.m. franchise tag deadline, and his agent says that means it is likely Bell's last season with the team.

"His intention was to retire as a Steeler," Adisa Bakari told ESPN's Adam Schefter. "But now that there's no deal, the practical reality is, this now likely will be Le'Veon's last season as a Steeler."

lol. 

Go get paid brother, but quit with the shenanigans. Your intention is to get paid, and who ever pays you is where you will retire. 

22 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Agreed.  The problem is Macc doesn't follow the part I highlighted.  He never drafts the young, talented guy that he can ride for 5-6 years.  Dalvin Cook should be a Jet.

I was so happy when Cook was still available. Really thought we’d draft him. I’m fine with Maye though. He broke the 2nd round curse. Too bad we have to wait until 2020 for our next 2nd round pick to see if the curse is gone for good. 

12 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Hey, I’d take him. I just personally think it might not be a great idea unless we look ready to compete after this year.

This is ideally a developmental year. Darnold starts and shows improvement, we win 6-8 games,  and look to be set to win 10 games the following year. Bell can put us over the top especially with our young QB. 

10 minutes ago, j4jets said:

This is ideally a developmental year. Darnold starts and shows improvement, we win 6-8 games,  and look to be set to win 10 games the following year. Bell can put us over the top especially with our young QB. 

I can buy into that. I just want to see a solid season from Darnold this year first. If that happens then I think we should go after Bell. I do fear his mileage may be a little high but 27 years old isn’t bad. 4 year contract and he’ll be 31. That RB wall is usually 30 and I think that’s what the Steelers are looking at but it doesn’t necessarily apply to every RB.

so while I do have my concerns, I’d take him.

59 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Hey, I’d take him. I just personally think it might not be a great idea unless we look ready to compete after this year.

I also think that after this season Bell will never perform up to the level he as these past few years.  I mean, why would he.  He's been hungry for the big payday and after landing a 5-year deal with someone in 2019 I wouldn't be surprised if he takes the foot of the accelerator and starts easing up.

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I also think that after this season Bell will never perform up to the level he as these past few years.  I mean, why would he.  He's been hungry for the big payday and after landing a 5-year deal with someone in 2019 I wouldn't be surprised if he takes the foot of the accelerator and starts easing up.

You make a reasonable case....guess we will just have to see. Are you willing to gamble on the leagues best Back? 

I am. 

I also think his character and work ethic will play a big part in the chance that he does pack it in...something tells me if the playoffs are persuable on his new team that he will play as hard but you never know.

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Another expensive veteran RB with high mileage Mac can waste time with

You CAN'T be serious with this ridiculous post can you ?Who are the other expensive RB's he gave big bucks too ? 

3 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I was so happy when Cook was still available. Really thought we’d draft him. I’m fine with Maye though. He broke the 2nd round curse. Too bad we have to wait until 2020 for our next 2nd round pick to see if the curse is gone for good. 

That will seem like forever. :sad:

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

Dream on. Too old and too much $$.

If there was serious reason to believe the team is making a super bowl push and improving the running game needed a big push then sure, I'd take him on a deal commensurate with that expectation. The Jets are not remotely close to being in that position so paying a premium player premium money doesn't make sense. 

I actually don't blame either side on this one.  I think the Steelers are taking the right position, as RB has the shortest shelf-life in the NFL, and the position simply isn't worth big time investments.  Far more often than not, RB's who end up getting big money second contracts tend not to live up to the deal.  When you combine that with the fact that RB also tends to have the highest success rate among positions for rookies, it's one of the more (relatively) easily replaceable positions.

On the flip side, Bell has to know the mindset of the leagues as well, with the more years that go by, the lower his value will drop.  Combine that with how he's had an extremely successful career, he's certainly justified in wanting to cash in for all he can.  The odds are extremely high his next contract will be his last one, or at least his last one of significant value (by NFL standards).

I frankly don't think he'd be worth what he's asking for, but it only takes one team to believe he is, and NFL history shows us there's at least one of those out there if he were to hit FA, so ideal or not, this probably makes sense for both sides.

11 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

The Steelers will run him into the ground this year. He will be 27 next year, will to many touches for a back of his age, no thanks.

That’s essentially what they have already accomplished. They stalled and stalled negotiations with no intent to actually come close to what Bell is wanting while simultaneously using him as much as they can before it’s time to cut em’ loose. 

He’ll play on the franchise tag again and then he’ll be 28 and closing in on his last 3 or 4 years when he plays for a brand new team.

36 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

That’s essentially what they have already accomplished. They stalled and stalled negotiations with no intent to actually come close to what Bell is wanting while simultaneously using him as much as they can before it’s time to cut em’ loose. 

He’ll play on the franchise tag again and then he’ll be 28 and closing in on his last 3 or 4 years when he plays for a brand new team.

It's physically fall off the edge of a cliff time. The guy wants Revis money. Our money is buying the Jets an edge rusher in 2019.

9 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Bell is going to be the one to not waste time with the Jets. He already said last year that he wants no part of us.....even if we are his favorite team.

That was B.S.  Before Sam.

You CAN'T be serious with this ridiculous post can you ?Who are the other expensive RB's he gave big bucks too ? 

Chris Johnson, Ladanian Tomlinson (who was good buy not great)... I just reread you were referring to Mac not the Jets ... My bad.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

The Steelers will run him into the ground this year. He will be 27 next year, well to many touches for a back of his age, no thanks.

Steelers are gonna grind him into dust this year under the franchise tag. 

Archived