Revis officially retires

tfine

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope Revis gets into a car wreck and walks away unscathed and then gets hit by Stevie Johnson driving a Prius.  Darrelle sues and wins the case and is awarded $1 minus court costs.  Future HOF my a$$.  I can't wait til I see him on ESPN's where are the now segment spitting on windshields and wiping them with newspapers he stole from a newspaper box.  Karma is a *****!!!!!

6 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

sh*tty person?  Really?  Enough of this nonsense.  Take a walk around Livingston, NJ and ask people if Revis is a sh*tty person.  I've seen the way he treats people when the camera isn't running.  He's a good guy.  Oh, and his teammates liked him.  They understood that this is a business and Revis knew how to play the game.

And this is why no one wants to play for the Jets.  Instead of celebrating our HoF players, we're busy tearing them down and trying to explain why they're actually not HoF players.  No, this dude was an amazing player and played in a time where the rules favored the WRs.

The more great HoF players the Jets have, the better.  And I hope like hell that Sam Darnold follows Revis into the HoF.

I was in Livingston last week. Everyone I encountered hated Darrelle Revis. For instance I met a woman that named her kid Mevi$, said he was fun when he was first born but now whenever he needs to get sh*t done in school he fakes a leg injury and reeeeeeally milks it. Even the local diner had a breakfast special called The Revis is a sh*tty Person Silver Dollar Pancakes, and they charged you more than the price listed on the menu after your meal was finished.

And if my posts are why no one wants to play for the Jets, that's awesome. I'll happily trade a few players not signing here in exchange for knowledge of my powers.

Sorry but Revis is not even the best Defensive Jet ever.

That belongs to Joe Klecko and he was every bit as dominant as Revis and was the furthest thing from a slouch this league has ever seen.

Revis as good as he was, was the product of a pressure defense as soon as he had to cover more of the field he became much less of what most people thought he was. It's much harder to cover a receiver for 4+ seconds than it is for 2

His legend is far greater than his actual career. He had an amazing 2009, a pretty good 2008 and 2010, and pretty much nothing outside of that. IMO that short of a stint is not enough to be a HOF'er, but his legend will get him in. 

All said and done Revis gave the Jets some great years, hence “Revis Island”. He got his money and you can’t fault a guy for getting as much as he can in his profession. Don’t we all strive for that. I think what sticks in many Jet fans minds is the horrendous last year when he just looked like he quit. He got old guys, lost a step and packed it in. That part stings but he did play lights out and was solid for many years with the Jets.

34 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

His legend is far greater than his actual career. He had an amazing 2009, a pretty good 2008 and 2010, and pretty much nothing outside of that. IMO that short of a stint is not enough to be a HOF'er, but his legend will get him in. 

Statistically Revis was still a top 5 Cover CB even in 2014 and 2015

37 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Too 10 greatest of all time nickname will get him in earlier than he should. Last two to three years he’s been absolute garbage. 

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think this is wrong. Young corners don’t compare themselves to Deion anymore, they compare themselves to Revis. He’s one of the standard-bearers at the position. 

Deion was a once in a generation player.  Nobody can compare themselves to him because nobody can compare themselves to Deion. 

10 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

sh*tty person?  Really?  Enough of this nonsense.  Take a walk around Livingston, NJ and ask people if Revis is a sh*tty person.  I've seen the way he treats people when the camera isn't running.  He's a good guy.  Oh, and his teammates liked him.  They understood that this is a business and Revis knew how to play the game.

And this is why no one wants to play for the Jets.  Instead of celebrating our HoF players, we're busy tearing them down and trying to explain why they're actually not HoF players.  No, this dude was an amazing player and played in a time where the rules favored the WRs.

The more great HoF players the Jets have, the better.  And I hope like hell that Sam Darnold follows Revis into the HoF.

I'd love to buy you a fat ass steak dinner dude.  He wants top dollar for his services, a lot of people do. That's not greed, its an opportunity to secure you and your extended families future when his money making career ends. We don't know his family needs. Maybe someone in his family has a chronic illness and needs money for treatment????Who knows?

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Deion was a once in a generation player.  Nobody can compare themselves to him because nobody can compare themselves to Deion. 

Revis was a better player. not as flashy, but a better player.

After the first quarter of his rookie year, up until the point he blew out his knee, he was the premier lockdown corner in the league. Four years + to be exact. With Tampa and NE, statistically he was rated in the top three at corner in the league. a great player, a certain spot in the hall. Joe Klecko deserves to be in the hall, and was an elite player for four, maybe five years. People get personally insulted because he holds out for more money.At least he worked for his money There are thousands od people making more money then Revis ever did, who hardly work at all. Get over it.

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Says the person who neg rep me when I pointed out a duplicate thread a day or so ago.  Patrolling the board laying down rules for others.  

And yes anyone who claims Revis had 1 season and few like him make the HOF should stay off of a football board, out of the discussion, that's ridiculous as it gets. 

lolza ... old faithful

Now that it's over, I wonder if he really did maximize his money...

$124m over 11 years, average of $11.1M per year?

It's possible longer term deals would have netted him more $$ and he might still be playing if he committed to one team, became part of the culture, imagine the marketing opportunities, maybe he does not get hurt with a full offseason of workouts, could have moved to safety? he was great for a couple of years and has a SB ring but it seems empty - could have been a legend

6 hours ago, j4jets said:

What a shame. Lame azz Jets fans wanna blast one of the best draft picks of this organization just because he wanted to be paid like one. Smh. 

Lord forbid an athlete wants to make as much money as possible, which he should.

Hilarious how in a cutthroat business where athletes can get cut or traded at any time, we expect them to still be loyal ?

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think this is wrong. Young corners don’t compare themselves to Deion anymore, they compare themselves to Revis. He’s one of the standard-bearers at the position. 

That’s because they are young. 

17 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Revis isn’t in the discussion for best all-time corner. He’s have had to do it for more than 1-2 years. sh*t Namdi Asomuigh had 1-2 great seasons, then sucked. He’s not GOAT material. Revis was good for a short stint, lots of guys like that in the leagues history. Few make the HOF.

He is the best cover corner of all time.  He didn't have the longevity of some others but no one played the position better at their peak than revis.

as far as Nnamdi goes, he was a media creation playing in anonymity for a bad Oakland team.  He was never on revis' level.

Revis is an absolute lock for the Hall of Fame.  there are many guys who didn't do it very long but how many did it at his level?  he has more all pro selections than all but a few corners in the game. Longevity is nice but you still have to be great and either way Revis was great for long enough.  people tend to only remember their last memories(for now, that will fade by HOF time and we'll just remember his greatness) and act like 2016 was what revis was about but that was one bad year in his career.  He's the greatest player we have ever had in this organization(that played here in his prime and was a long time Jet).

again, deion never followed around #1 WRs and played in an era where the rules weren't anywhere near like they have been in this pass happy era Revis played in.  Deion was certainly the better playmaker, w/ the ball in his hands he was a threat to score at any time but he gave up a lot of big plays trying to make the big play.  Darrelle Revis is the greatest cover corner in the history of the game, in his prime he dominated the best in the game in the greatest passing era in the history of the sport.

Overall I would rate Deion higher as a corner b/c he did it for a lot longer but strictly as a cover corner at their peaks? Revis was the best.

20 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Lack of INTs means opposing QBs were scared to throw his way.  The more ints a DB had usually means they have many more opportunities but Revis shut down the greatest WRs in the game.

As far as TDs, Revis had 3 in 145 games.

Bailey had 4 in 215 so I guess he doesn't belong?

Mel Blount had 2

Mike Haynes had 2

Etc...

Jet fans just love to hate Revis for some reason

JUNC LOGIC is really not logic at all.

3 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Revis. What can you say? He won his ring and then packed it in. Not the first guy to do so and probably won't be the last. HOF?  Not worthy Imo but he probably gets in.

so he "packed it in" when he was one of the best corners in the league in 2015?(2015 was AFTER he won the SB in the 2014 season).

Not worthy? how many CBs can you find that have more than 4 1st team all pro selections.  I'll wait for your answer.

Archived