Revis officially retires

tfine

I stand corrected.  He only threatened a holdout in 2012 (after holding out for a new contract in 2010 and missing much of camp in 2007) and changed his mind the day before camp.  There were a lot of threats and drama but it didn't cause his injury.  If you can't tell, I'm just sore that he didn't spend his whole career with the Jets and I believe he could have done so while being right around the highest paid player at his position.
Trading him, even coming off an injury was a mistake and not resigning after Tampa cut was another mistake that led him to the pats and in retrospect another mistake signing him after the SB win with the pats. Only the Jets.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Who specifically does not understand that this is a business?

Everyone knows that.  The point is, the way he conducted his business made him more difficult for many fans of the Jets to like.  We root for the team, not Revis's personal fiances.  In a salary capped league, and in a team sport, a number of the things Revis did were not beneficial to what we're actually rooting for.

We also know that eating fatty foods is bad for you but many do it. Sure on paper many "know" it's a business, still doesn't stop the irrationality whenever the business side of things becomes visible.

7 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

OTOH, none of that changes how good he was between the lines.

It's an emotional response. Most/All of the fans complaining about Revis' mercenary ways would switch jobs if they could get more elsewhere. Revis should be as loyal to the Jets as regular Joes are to whatever jobs we work at: loyalty is a two way street. If your current company tries to pay you below fair market value, it's your right to go elsewhere. Heck, in the NFL teams can and do trade players like commodities (ahem Revis). But yeah, the players are supposed to show "loyalty."

Just because fans don't line your driveway and cheer for you when you pull out of your garage to go to work every morning doesn't change simple economics.

12 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Revis was a 1st team all pro post rex and this was after the knee injury. revis' career changed after that injury, he was never the same but he still produced until 2016. Last I checked rex never made the postseason again.

Rex's record w/ Revis 2009-2012: 27-20

Rex's record w/o Revis 2009-20014(w/ Jets): 15-30

I never pat myself on the back, it's folks like you who make me look good b/c your arguments are so easy to destroy.

The Jets didn't have any pass rushers, Revis being able to control half the field made it easier to blitz and take chances which helped the others covering.  if you don't realize that then I can't help you. This was not just a corner, this was the greatest cover corner in the history of the game at his peak.

It's intriguing that you think you're right when you literally didn't make it through one single sentence without contradicting yourself.  So which is it, was Revis great after his knee injury, or was his knee injury to blame for all the future failures of his career?  Because it is impossible to be both.

You also clearly do not understand how statistics actually work.  Your attempt to make another counter argument proved yourself wrong again.  There was an ongoing team decline while still together, that is a point of fact.  Let's compare, shall we?

Rex & Revis in 2010 - 11-5
Rex & Revis in 2011 - 8-8 - Note:  Your statements have already been proven to be factually inaccurate right here, but let's continue shall we?
Rex, (mostly) without Revis in 2012 - 6-10 (2 games worse)
Revis, without Rex in 2013 - 4-12 (3 games worse than Tampa's 7-9 season)

Well that's weird, things were already on downward trends while together, that also continued for both independently once apart, with Revis' decline being more significant if we were to go with your attempts to attribute a teams' record to a CB (which also contradicts every Sanchez argument you've ever made, but we'll save that for another day).  Even using your own questionable logic, there is no statistical support to suggest Revis is to be credited with a team's record improving as you so claim.  Furthermore, your attempt to make associations between him and the Jets' team performances after 3 years without him further shows you lack the understanding of meaningful information.

I don't expect you to be convinced by this, because you've shown yourself incapable of any mindset other than coming up with your own predetermined conclusions, and then convincing yourself that all other things support that argument, regardless of whether that is completely unfounded and, quite often, proven factually inaccurate.  I'm sure you'll continue to deny facts that are inconvenient to you, while presenting ideas that ultimately contradict your very own stances, but the point is despite your unearned self-congratulations, your arguments all regularly fail to have any basis in reality.  The moment you are willing to concede these indisputable circumstances, it will be the first step on your road to recovery.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

We also know that eating fatty foods is bad for you but many do it. Sure on paper many "know" it's a business, still doesn't stop the irrationality whenever the business side of things becomes visible.

It's an emotional response. Most/All of the fans complaining about Revis' mercenary ways would switch jobs if they could get more elsewhere. Revis should be as loyal to the Jets as we are to whatever job we work at: loyalty is a two way street. If your current company tries to pay you below fair market value, it's your right to go elsewhere. Heck, in the NFL teams can and do trade players like commodities (ahem Revis). But yeah, the players are supposed to show "loyalty."

Just because fans don't line your driveway and cheer for you when you pull out of your garage to go to work every morning doesn't change simple economics.

If following your questionable attempt to compare pro sports to regular jobs, an employee who constantly threw fits about their salary, made threats, lied to his bosses, and had multiple extended periods of refusing to show up or do any work, would be sh*t-canned in an instant, regardless of any other circumstances. And once gone, no single person would be endlessly carrying on about what great debt the company had to him, nor the pedestal he needed to be held upon by all those who were ever even customers of the company.

5 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

If following your questionable attempt to compare pro sports to regular jobs, an employee who constantly threw fits about their salary, made threats, lied to his bosses, and had multiple extended periods of refusing to show up or do any work, would be sh*t-canned in an instant, regardless of any other circumstances. And once gone, no single person would be endlessly carrying on about what great debt the company had to him, nor the pedestal he needed to be held upon by all those who were ever even customers of the company.

I argue that you are making a false equivalency. JAG players -- in the NFL and in "real jobs" -- don't have leverage and thus don't play hardball. And most people are JAGs. Joe the rookie Sales Rep with no accounts will be laughed out of the building if he demands a higher salary or threatens to walk. Revis was an exceptional player so let's talk about the exceptional cases. Meet Bill: a sales superstar with a record of top performance and a rolodex of industry contacts a mile long walks into his boss' office and threatens to take his talents to the competition. Bill's employer won't rant about loyalty and fire him out of spite, it will try to retain him. Why, because it's a business. Management is responsible for performance, not preservation of macho pride. Sidenote: if you ever want to find out if you are a JAG or not, bring another offer to your boss

You can question it all you like but fact is: it's a job to the players and to the front offices. That's what the "professional" part of "professional sports" means. Their actions confirm it. It's why Jets were willing, bragged even, about bringing Revis home after his stint in NE at a time when many fans wouldn't have pissed on him if he was on fire. And that's okay. As fans, we get to be emotional, but let's not pretend those feelings mean anything to the people in charge. You may not like Revis' specific tactics, because they aren't used very often in real world where we luckily have more ways to exert leverage. But withholding services is the underpaid NFL player's only play. In the real world you can secretly spend all your time looking for a new job while still being paid by your current employer. At least in the NFL player scenario, he pays a price by foregoing salary when he withholds services. What does it cost us to jump to a new job if our employer doesn’t cave-in and match the offer? Nothing. We are the mercenaries, not Darrelle Revis. In fact, absent the NFL's anti-tampering rules, things would look pretty similar to the real world. "Hey GM, it makes me sick to leave but Tampa has offered me more. I'd love if you can match the offer, I want to stay here, but I need to do the right thing for me and my family." Then the team decides whether to match or not. So because the language is more polite it somehow makes us better people than players who also want the best deal they can get? I think not.

The NFL has stripped away most of the player's agency with contracts that control their rights, without guaranteeing pay. They don't have the right to look for another job even if they hate their boss, their co-workers, and are miserable at work. Think about that. Imagine if you are a computer programmer and hate your work environment. Unfortunately, your company has a deal with its competitors to not to go after each others' employees. Sure, you can quit and go work in another field, assuming you are qualified, but your chosen livelihood is effectively under the control of your employer, who by the way can fire/cut you at any time with little or no impact to itself.

In fact, this is exactly what happened in Silicon Valley. Companies were frustrated by ever-increasing employee salaries and by fighting each other for key talent so they entered into a (now ruled illegal) pact to stop recruiting each others' employees. The offenders? Adobe, Apple, Intel, Intuit, Pixar, Lucasfilm, eBay. And guess what the employees did: they sued to stop it. That's one thing even Revis never did! Fact is people with leverage use it in whichever methods are available to them, whether they go to work with a number on their back or on the 7:15 local with a laptop bag in their hand. The collusion between these companies and hundreds of millions paid in settlements with the Department of Justice Anti-Trust Division and in lawsuits was due to the companies trying to stop behavior that, according to you, doesn't exist outside of sports.

I, obviously, disagree with you.

7 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

It's intriguing that you think you're right when you literally didn't make it through one single sentence without contradicting yourself.  So which is it, was Revis great after his knee injury, or was his knee injury to blame for all the future failures of his career?  Because it is impossible to be both.

You also clearly do not understand how statistics actually work.  Your attempt to make another counter argument proved yourself wrong again.  There was an ongoing team decline while still together, that is a point of fact.  Let's compare, shall we?

Rex & Revis in 2010 - 11-5
Rex & Revis in 2011 - 8-8 - Note:  Your statements have already been proven to be factually inaccurate right here, but let's continue shall we?
Rex, (mostly) without Revis in 2012 - 6-10 (2 games worse)
Revis, without Rex in 2013 - 4-12 (3 games worse than Tampa's 7-9 season)

Well that's weird, things were already on downward trends while together, that also continued for both independently once apart, with Revis' decline being more significant if we were to go with your attempts to attribute a teams' record to a CB (which also contradicts every Sanchez argument you've ever made, but we'll save that for another day).  Even using your own questionable logic, there is no statistical support to suggest Revis is to be credited with a team's record improving as you so claim.  Furthermore, your attempt to make associations between him and the Jets' team performances after 3 years without him further shows you lack the understanding of meaningful information.

I don't expect you to be convinced by this, because you've shown yourself incapable of any mindset other than coming up with your own predetermined conclusions, and then convincing yourself that all other things support that argument, regardless of whether that is completely unfounded and, quite often, proven factually inaccurate.  I'm sure you'll continue to deny facts that are inconvenient to you, while presenting ideas that ultimately contradict your very own stances, but the point is despite your unearned self-congratulations, your arguments all regularly fail to have any basis in reality.  The moment you are willing to concede these indisputable circumstances, it will be the first step on your road to recovery.

if you could actually read you wouldn't have these problems.

Revis was never the same after the injury but even w/ that he made a 1st team all pro post rex while rex did nothing post Revis. he also made 3 more PBs. you want to say he "declined"? sure, he went from the greatest cover corner ever and the best defensive player in the game to just a great corner.

Revis isn't judged on wins and losses like a coach is.  Revis made the pro bowl and was one of the top corners in the game in 2013.

I know it's hard to actually do some real research but you should not the actual games played by revis which I did.  He missed multiple games in 2010 and 14 games in 2012(the 2 games he played the Jets won by the way) so it should say:

Rex w/ revis 2011 8-8

rex w/o revis 2012 4-10

6 games is a pretty big difference, right? in 2 less games he lost 2 more games.

I didn't attempt to attach Revis to the record, you brought it up that Rex made Revis.  I simply countered w/ facts how that wasn't true. Revis gave Rex an amazing advantage during those peak years, of you can't see that then I can't help you. you can whine on and one, hurl childish insults but it doesn't change the fact Revis was an absolutely GREAT player and is a Hall of Fame lock. the last time we drafted a HOFer was John Riggins in 1971, it only took 36 years so I can understand why whiny Jet fans don't think it's a big deal.

7 hours ago, jgb said:

It's an emotional response. Most/All of the fans complaining about Revis' mercenary ways would switch jobs if they could get more elsewhere. Revis should be as loyal to the Jets as regular Joes are to whatever jobs we work at: loyalty is a two way street. If your current company tries to pay you below fair market value, it's your right to go elsewhere. Heck, in the NFL teams can and do trade players like commodities (ahem Revis). But yeah, the players are supposed to show "loyalty."

I wouldn't call it not being loyal, he still wanted to be a Jet.  He never wanted to get traded, he came to the Jets first after leaving Tampa and before going to NE and he spurned the Pats to come back to the Jets a year later. He just wanted to maximize his NFL on field earnings, there's nothing wrong w/ that. It can be frustrating to fans(just as what is happening w/ Darnold right now is frustrating) but the players NEED to make every dollar they can while they are playing. Revis was brilliant on and off the field.

18 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Another intelligent reply.  I really lose IQ points engaging in discussions with you guys

well what do you expect? When you fail to address what is written with a blanket post that is just a bunch of bullsh*t? That is the essence of JUNC LOGIC.

9 hours ago, jgb said:

I argue that you are making a false equivalency. JAG players -- in the NFL and in "real jobs" -- don't have leverage and thus don't play hardball. And most people are JAGs. Joe the rookie Sales Rep with no accounts will be laughed out of the building if he demands a higher salary or threatens to walk. Revis was an exceptional player so let's talk about the exceptional cases. Meet Bill: a sales superstar with a record of top performance and a rolodex of industry contacts a mile long walks into his boss' office and threatens to take his talents to the competition. Bill's employer won't rant about loyalty and fire him out of spite, it will try to retain him. Why, because it's a business. Management is responsible for performance, not preservation of macho pride. Sidenote: if you ever want to find out if you are a JAG or not, bring another offer to your boss

You can question it all you like but fact is: it's a job to the players and to the front offices. That's what the "professional" part of "professional sports" means. Their actions confirm it. It's why Jets were willing, bragged even, about bringing Revis home after his stint in NE at a time when many fans wouldn't have pissed on him if he was on fire. And that's okay. As fans, we get to be emotional, but let's not pretend those feelings mean anything to the people in charge. You may not like Revis' specific tactics, because they aren't used very often in real world where we luckily have more ways to exert leverage. But withholding services is the underpaid NFL player's only play. In the real world you can secretly spend all your time looking for a new job while still being paid by your current employer. At least in the NFL player scenario, he pays a price by foregoing salary when he withholds services. What does it cost us to jump to a new job if our employer doesn’t cave-in and match the offer? Nothing. We are the mercenaries, not Darrelle Revis. In fact, absent the NFL's anti-tampering rules, things would look pretty similar to the real world. "Hey GM, it makes me sick to leave but Tampa has offered me more. I'd love if you can match the offer, I want to stay here, but I need to do the right thing for me and my family." Then the team decides whether to match or not. So because the language is more polite it somehow makes us better people than players who also want the best deal they can get? I think not.

The NFL has stripped away most of the player's agency with contracts that control their rights, without guaranteeing pay. They don't have the right to look for another job even if they hate their boss, their co-workers, and are miserable at work. Think about that. Imagine if you are a computer programmer and hate your work environment. Unfortunately, your company has a deal with its competitors to not to go after each others' employees. Sure, you can quit and go work in another field, assuming you are qualified, but your chosen livelihood is effectively under the control of your employer, who by the way can fire/cut you at any time with little or no impact to itself.

In fact, this is exactly what happened in Silicon Valley. Companies were frustrated by ever-increasing employee salaries and by fighting each other for key talent so they entered into a (now ruled illegal) pact to stop recruiting each others' employees. The offenders? Adobe, Apple, Intel, Intuit, Pixar, Lucasfilm, eBay. And guess what the employees did: they sued to stop it. That's one thing even Revis never did! Fact is people with leverage use it in whichever methods are available to them, whether they go to work with a number on their back or on the 7:15 local with a laptop bag in their hand. The collusion between these companies and hundreds of millions paid in settlements with the Department of Justice Anti-Trust Division and in lawsuits was due to the companies trying to stop behavior that, according to you, doesn't exist outside of sports.

I, obviously, disagree with you.

Have you not heard of non-compete clauses?  It's really no different. Revis, and all athletes, have plenty of other means of income they could look into if they wanted. The only limitations they face are within their own league. I also see plenty others doing just fine for themselves without making threats and faking injuries.

Besides, you're the one who started attempting to make a direct comparison between sports and business. It would seem the comparison was rather unfounded, which was my point.

10 hours ago, jgb said:

Not sure what about not revering a player who puts his own interests above the team falls under "irrational" when we root for the team before the players.

Everyone understands that Revis can go for every dollar he can get out of his career.  Irrational, to me, is expecting fans to ubiquitously to love him for it or ignore it when it has a negative impact on the team.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Have you not heard of non-compete clauses?  It's really no different. Revis, and all athletes, have plenty of other means of income they could look into if they wanted. The only limitations they face are within their own league. I also see plenty others doing just fine for themselves without making threats and faking injuries.

Besides, you're the one who started attempting to make a direct comparison between sports and business. It would seem the comparison was rather unfounded, which was my point.

Yeah, I'm a lawyer. I've also heard of condescension so thanks for my daily dose. =P

Comparing a clause that two parties may negotiate into a contract and agree to, both receiving valuable consideration for same, has no relevance to the situation of NFL players who are in a take-it-or-leave-it situation as to the aspects I describe if they wish to ply their trade.

58 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Not sure what about not revering a player who puts his own interests above the team falls under "irrational" when we root for the team before the players.

Everyone understands that Revis can go for every dollar he can get out of his career.  Irrational, to me, is expecting fans to ubiquitously to love him for it or ignore it when it has a negative impact on the team.

No one is "revearing." When someone has to grossly mischaracterize your position to debate it, well there's no need for further engagement. :) But thanks for the mental image of Revis, clutching his hundred million dollars, upset because Jets fans don't "ubiquitously love him." That's the laugh of the month!

39 minutes ago, jgb said:

No one is "revearing." When someone has to grossly mischaracterize your position to debate it, well there's no need for further engagement. :) But thanks for the mental image of Revis, clutching his hundred million dollars, upset because Jets fans don't "ubiquitously love him." That's the laugh of the month!

It's not even clear what you're debating at this point then.

You seem to be taking the position that Jets fans are in the wrong to have a negative opinion of Revis.  Generally calling that "irrational."  At no point was Revis's feelings on the matter brought up, though, his retirement press release is the only one that didn't acknowledge or thank the fans, at least to my memory, so it's not a leap to think there may be some harsh feelings towards the fans in there.

8 hours ago, TeddEY said:

It's not even clear what you're debating at this point then.

You seem to be taking the position that Jets fans are in the wrong to have a negative opinion of Revis.  Generally calling that "irrational."  At no point was Revis's feelings on the matter brought up, though, his retirement press release is the only one that didn't acknowledge or thank the fans, at least to my memory, so it's not a leap to think there may be some harsh feelings towards the fans in there.

Exactly. The fan reaction is emotional, which is by definition not rational, whereas the people who do this for a living and don’t have the luxury of letting their feelings dictate their actions, have no animous at all toward Revis or his negotiation tactics over the years. That is a great summation. And it’s not an indictment at all of fandom, which is and should be inherently emotional—after all were it logical, who would be a Jets fan?

Think we have beaten this one to death I will let you have the last word, if you want it. Have a nice weekend.

On 7/27/2018 at 10:58 AM, jgb said:

Yeah, I'm a lawyer. I've also heard of condescension so thanks for my daily dose. =P

Comparing a clause that two parties may negotiate into a contract and agree to, both receiving valuable consideration for same, has no relevance to the situation of NFL players who are in a take-it-or-leave-it situation as to the aspects I describe if they wish to ply their trade.

Actually, you're incorrect, they do have other choices, granted just not ones that pay the same level of the NFL.  Those who opt to come to the NFL are quite obviously doing so under an agreed upon contract, which you of course know, but makes your second point rather meaningless.  If they are unaware of all of the very publicly known circumstances that go along with those deals, the issue would be that they are morons, not innocent victims.

But again, you're the one who started trying to make a comparison between pro athletes and white collar that you're now asserting has no validity to it, so I don't know what you think to have proven.

On 7/27/2018 at 6:50 AM, nyjunc said:

if you could actually read you wouldn't have these problems.

Revis was never the same after the injury but even w/ that he made a 1st team all pro post rex while rex did nothing post Revis. he also made 3 more PBs. you want to say he "declined"? sure, he went from the greatest cover corner ever and the best defensive player in the game to just a great corner.

Revis isn't judged on wins and losses like a coach is.  Revis made the pro bowl and was one of the top corners in the game in 2013.

I know it's hard to actually do some real research but you should not the actual games played by revis which I did.  He missed multiple games in 2010 and 14 games in 2012(the 2 games he played the Jets won by the way) so it should say:

Rex w/ revis 2011 8-8

rex w/o revis 2012 4-10

6 games is a pretty big difference, right? in 2 less games he lost 2 more games.

I didn't attempt to attach Revis to the record, you brought it up that Rex made Revis.  I simply countered w/ facts how that wasn't true. Revis gave Rex an amazing advantage during those peak years, of you can't see that then I can't help you. you can whine on and one, hurl childish insults but it doesn't change the fact Revis was an absolutely GREAT player and is a Hall of Fame lock. the last time we drafted a HOFer was John Riggins in 1971, it only took 36 years so I can understand why whiny Jet fans don't think it's a big deal.

Ah yes... the Junk philosophy of posting.  Throws temper tantrums non-stop about what an innocent victim he supposedly is when people simply don't concede to his terrible arguments, and then starts with the childlike insults the moment proven to be factually incorrect.

So basically, the injury argument is a meaningless considering you're carrying on about how great he was post injury. So let's just flush that down the toilet where it belongs, because there's no need for you to continue contradicting yourself every other sentence as you've done once again here.

In 2012, you just made a point of crediting victories solely to Revis that involved two games that he only played part of each, one in which the Jets won by scoring 48 points, and the second that the Jets rallied back from a deficit after he left the game.  Once again, facts and reality allude you.  Then again, if going by your questionable logic, the Jets actually improved to 8-8 in their first full season without Revis, so they apparently were better without him.  Of course, as you so conveniently skipped, your argument about a supposed CB-to-team-record link was further torn apart by the nosedive the Bucc's took when he arrived.

As far as your last point, it is well within your rights to have the personal opinion that Revis was great and deserves to be in the hall.  It doesn't change that you do not have any understanding at all how statistics work, and none of your arguments have at all been fact based.  Yours is a 100% subjective view that you're unable to support.  So be it, that's your opinion to have, but when you're then trying to place that argument, and yourself, on some sort of pedestal while failing to provide any shred of objectivity or coherent argument to support it, it will be dismantled around these parts, as countless other of your arguments have before it (many of which actually contradict this very argument of yours).

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:14 PM, Bleedin Green said:

Ah yes... the Junk philosophy of posting.  Throws temper tantrums non-stop about what an innocent victim he supposedly is when people simply don't concede to his terrible arguments, and then starts with the childlike insults the moment proven to be factually incorrect.

So basically, the injury argument is a meaningless considering you're carrying on about how great he was post injury. So let's just flush that down the toilet where it belongs, because there's no need for you to continue contradicting yourself every other sentence as you've done once again here.

In 2012, you just made a point of crediting victories solely to Revis that involved two games that he only played part of each, one in which the Jets won by scoring 48 points, and the second that the Jets rallied back from a deficit after he left the game.  Once again, facts and reality allude you.  Then again, if going by your questionable logic, the Jets actually improved to 8-8 in their first full season without Revis, so they apparently were better without him.  Of course, as you so conveniently skipped, your argument about a supposed CB-to-team-record link was further torn apart by the nosedive the Bucc's took when he arrived.

As far as your last point, it is well within your rights to have the personal opinion that Revis was great and deserves to be in the hall.  It doesn't change that you do not have any understanding at all how statistics work, and none of your arguments have at all been fact based.  Yours is a 100% subjective view that you're unable to support.  So be it, that's your opinion to have, but when you're then trying to place that argument, and yourself, on some sort of pedestal while failing to provide any shred of objectivity or coherent argument to support it, it will be dismantled around these parts, as countless other of your arguments have before it (many of which actually contradict this very argument of yours).

who was it that wrote this?

"Both Revis and Rex were on a downward trajectory while still together. If anything, it was Revis' decline that became even more substantial after they parted ways"

That is why I posted the record and mentioned what Revis did after he left(even though he wasn't the same player post injury). You post something, I destroy it then you whine to me about me claiming "how great revis was post injury".  Revis was never the same post injury but he was still one of the best corners in the league.  He wasn't all time great revis but that doesn't mean he sucked.  I know that's hard to fathom.

what was the record w/ and w/o him? and again, this was all to counter your asinine point Revis in a bigger decline than Rex.

if the Jets went to 8-8 w/o revis, didn't Revis win a SB w/o Rex or that doesn't count? and I know it was NE but last I checked it had been a decade since they won one before revis got there.

Please keep lobbing these softballs in and I'll keep knocking them out of the park only to have you come back and attack me b/c you can't keep up in a discussion.

Archived