One Quarterback for One Game

Sonny Werblin

Your team is playing against an evenly matched opponent and you can choose one Quarterback from one point in time to QB your team for the game. This is not based on career accomplishments. Rather, you have the player at the height of his game. And please choose someone that you actually saw play. Don't base it on stats alone.

My selection would be 1976 Bert Jones. The guy had a fire in him that one rarely sees in a QB. He was not one for quiet leadership. He was the unquestioned leader of his team. One might think that a QB who yelled at teammates on the field would be disliked, but Jones put his body on the line to make plays. Absorbing hits to make throws and running into LBs to gain the extra yard for first down. It was as you put Jack Lambert's mentality inside a QB. He led the Colts to an 11-3 record in 1976. With Jones the Colts were a playoff team; without him they were one of the worst teams in the league (as was proven after he was injured in 1978).

Making matters worse for his opponents, Jones was not only fiery and hard-nosed, but he was a great passer as well. In an era where throwing the ball was difficult, in 1976  (14 game season) Jones had 3,104 yards, 24 touchdowns against only 9 interceptions, and he completed 60.3%.   His passer rating of 102.5 represents one of only three occasions where a quarterback posted a 100+ passer rating during the entire decade of the 1970s. Fittingly, he was named NFL MVP. 

Perhaps those who never saw him play think selecting Bert Jones at the height of his game is silly with so many other great QB's in the game. But, I am not alone in my lofty opinions of Bert Jones.  https://nesn.com/2016/11/if-bill-belichick-could-choose-one-quarterback-to-lead-his-team-he-would-pick/

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Your team is playing against an evenly matched opponent and you can choose one Quarterback from one point in time to QB your team for the game. This is not based on career accomplishments. Rather, you have the player at the height of his game. And please choose someone that you actually saw play. Don't base it on stats alone.

My selection would be 1976 Bert Jones. The guy had a fire in him that one rarely sees in a QB. He was not one for quiet leadership. He was the unquestioned leader of his team. One might think that a QB who yelled at teammates on the field would be disliked, but Jones put his body on the line to make plays. Absorbing hits to make throws and running into LBs to gain the extra yard for first down. It was as you put Jack Lambert's mentality inside a QB. He led the Colts to an 11-3 record in 1976. With Jones the Colts were a playoff team; without him they were one of the worst teams in the league (as was proven after he was injured in 1978).

Making matters worse for his opponents, Jones was not only fiery and hard-nosed, but he was a great passer as well. In an era where throwing the ball was difficult, in 1976  (14 game season) Jones had 3,104 yards, 24 touchdowns against only 9 interceptions, and he completed 60.3%.   His passer rating of 102.5 represents one of only three occasions where a quarterback posted a 100+ passer rating during the entire decade of the 1970s. Fittingly, he was named NFL MVP. 

Perhaps those who never saw him play think selecting Bert Jones at the height of his game is silly with so many other great QB's in the game. But, I am not alone in my lofty opinions of Bert Jones.  https://nesn.com/2016/11/if-bill-belichick-could-choose-one-quarterback-to-lead-his-team-he-would-pick/

Just to play Devil's advocate.  Bert was 0-3 in the playoffs with truly horrendous stats.  By comparison Bart Starr was 9-1 and his stats improved in the playoffs.  

Having said all that, I have to think about this some more.  Good question.

the answer is the same whether it's 1 game, 16 games, 100 games.  It's Tom Brady.  he's the best to ever play the position and has done it w/ mostly mediocre talent around him.  Montana is right there(and really the only other logical choice) and people will point to 4-0 and incredible #s in SBs but they will fail to mention how bad the AFC was in those days and how much more dominant NFC teams were(remember this was pre Free Agency) and they will also forget all the NFC playoff losses. Joe went one and done 4 times, Brady has done that just twice. 

42 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Steve Young, 1994. Paging Nyjunc.... :)

His lone great postseason, you could win w/ 1994 Steve Young BUT he was also on a loaded team.  If he had to throw to his TB WRs then what is the result?

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Eli Manning.

as long as the D can hold opposing offenses to 14 & 17 pts you have a chance w/ Eli!

8 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Kenny Anderson deserves some credit as well. Put up very impressive stats on some bad teams. Wouldn't pick him for one game though. Young notwithstanding, I'd probably go with Montana, 1989 vintage.

Anderson is a very underrated all time QB.  He blows away a guy like Eli Manning but Ken can't get a sniff at the Hall and Eli is discussed as a possible HOFer b/c his D shut down the greatest QB of all time 2x.

I don't know who I would take just yet, but I know who I wouldn't take, and that's Tom Brady.

If he doesn't come with Belichick, Kraft, Ernie Adams, Alex Guerrero's "supplements", the most gifted WR to ever play the game (Moss), the most gifted TE to ever play the game (Gronk), and a perennial top 10 defense, I want nothing to do with that scrub.

5 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I don't know who I would take just yet, but I know who I wouldn't take, and that's Tom Brady.

If he doesn't come with Belichick, Kraft, Ernie Adams, Alex Guerrero's "supplements", the most gifted WR to ever play the game (Moss), the most gifted TE to ever play the game (Gronk), and a perennial top 10 defense, I want nothing to do with that scrub.

He had peak Moss(he broth Moss back to his peak) for 1 season. he didn't have Jerry Rice in his prime, Marvin harrison, reggie Wayne, etc...

last I checked he won 4 SBs w/o Gronk including the greatest comeback ever when Gronk was hurt.

Top 10 Ds that always fold in postseason(a belichick staple w/o LT).  Oh by the way, Peyton's Ds allowed less PPG in postseason than Brady's Ds.

and we know what Belichick has done w/o Brady.

3 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

In all seriousness,: Elway, Rodgers, Big Ben, or Peyton. And if I'm making a homer pick (same hometown), peak '94 Steve Young would be up there too.

That's some list.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

He had peak Moss(he broth Moss back to his peak) for 1 season. he didn't have Jerry Rice in his prime, Marvin harrions, reggie Wayne, etc...

and we know what Belichick has done w/o Brady.

That's some list.

We all know what brady*'s done with Belichick. Worked his way all the way to being the Michigan backup and a 6th round pick.

How many playoff games has the great brady* won against Eli? What about a backup like Nick Foles? Or the scrubbiest scub Sanchez? By my count, brady* is 0-4 against those three guys in the playoffs and superbowls.

Yea, definitely the guy you'd want to win 1 game.

This is a tough question.  I mean, you have Y.A. Title, Sammy Baugh, Jim Kelly, Johnny Unitas, Dan Marino, Bart Starr....Then obviously you have the Montana's, Brady's, Mannings, Favre's, of the world.  Haven't seen any love for Kenny Stabler.

But if I had one game, and ESPECIALLY one drive to win a game, I would probably have to go with Joe Montana in his prime. 

2 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

We all know what brady*'s done with Belichick. Worked his way all the way to being the Michigan backup and a 6th round pick.

How many playoff games has the great brady* won against Eli? What about a backup like Nick Foles? Or the scrubbiest scub Sanchez? By my count, brady* is 0-4 against those three guys in the playoffs and superbowls.

Yea, definitely the guy you'd want to win 1 game.

We've never seen Brady without BB, we have seen BB without Brady and he's done less than kotite without him.

From your list:

Elway lost to mark Malone, Dave krieg,mark brunell, Jeff hostetler

Rodgers: Eli, Kaepernick, Carson Palmer (Sanchez was 1-0 against Palmer)

Ben: David Garrard, some guy named Tim tebow, Joe flacco, the awful version of Peyton Manning and the modern day Eli Manning- Blake bortles

Peyton: Jay fiedler, Chad Pennington, Billy volek(took over for Rivers), Philip Rivers and oh yeah mark Sanchez

This game is fun

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

We've never seen Brady without BB, we have seen BB without Brady and he's done less than kotite without him.

From your list:

Elway lost to mark Malone, Dave krieg,mark brunell, Jeff hostetler

Rodgers: Eli, Kaepernick, Carson Palmer (Sanchez was 1-0 against Palmer)

Ben: David Garrard, some guy named Tim tebow, Joe flacco, the awful version of Peyton Manning and the modern day Eli Manning- Blake bortles

Peyton: Jay fiedler, Chad Pennington, Billy volek(took over for Rivers), Philip Rivers and oh yeah mark Sanchez

This game is fun

But none of them had Belichick, Kraft, Ernie Adams, Alex Guerrero's "supplements", the most gifted WR to ever play the game (Moss), the most gifted TE to ever play the game (Gronk), or a perennial top 10 defense.

Brady had all of that and still lost twice to Eli; a guy you think is a scrub. Plus even with all of that supporting cast, he also lost to an actual scrub in Sanchez and a backup in Foles.

56 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Just to play Devil's advocate.  Bert was 0-3 in the playoffs with truly horrendous stats.  By comparison Bart Starr was 9-1 and his stats improved in the playoffs.  

Having said all that, I have to think about this some more.  Good question.

Fair points, but IMO it was because Jones could only do some much to elevate his team. He lost because his team and coaching staff were over matched. Of note is the fact that he lost the Ghost to the Post game in OT to a Raider team that was loaded and had a HOF coach.

Aaron Rodgers.

If the teams are even across the board he's a bigger difference making talent than any of these guys. As great as Brady and Montana were I think they were very dependent on their coaching/systems. Rodgers is weighed down by his, IMO. Probably the best QB talent I've ever seen.

I agree that Montana and Brady are GOATS, but I'd take Jones best day playing for the same coaches and teammates over them every day of the week. Neither was as talented as Jones.

Elway was a consideration, but even in his prime was not nearly as good a passer as Jones. Elway never had a QB rating over 100 and posted his highest QB rating, 98, in his final season, 1998. Which is far different than the era Jones played in.

Marino, on his best day, was the only guy that gave me pause. But the fact that Marino had a HOF coach and Jones had Ted Marchibroda causes me to give Jones the nod.   

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Aaron Rodgers.

If the teams are even across the board he's a bigger difference making talent than any of these guys. As great as Brady and Montana were I think they were very dependent on their coaching/systems. Rodgers is weighed down by his, IMO. Probably the best QB talent I've ever seen.

I like it. In fact, he reminds me a little bit of Bert Jones. He's got an edge, arm talent, a less than playoff quality roster around him, and bad coaches.

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I am fully in on Bert Jones.  The Ruston Rifle.  Normally when picking an all-time team he is my go to guy.  I did not pick him here because of the voter aspect.  I knew nobody would go for him with his poor playoff performances. I want a big guy that can really sling it.  Jones fits that profile.  So do Archie and Pastorini.  Sometimes I go with Lomax.

16 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Aaron Rodgers.

15 minutes ago, peebag said:

John Elway took 3 mediocre teams to Super Bowls all by his lonesome.

He's my pick.

Agree with both of these, and is why I have them as my first and second choices.

Elway is one of only two starting QBs to reach the Super Bowl with multiple coaches. The other is Peyton. That is literally the definition of system-proof. Add to that, the fact that for the most part, he was dragging his teams there for the first 3 as opposed to being along for the ride, and his pedigree coming out of college and actually living up to it...he's definitely #1 to me. Sure, Terrell Davis and Shanahan's zone blocking scheme has a lot to do with him jumping from Marino status to SB Champ, but ultimately, no QB is winning a SB by themselves.

Meanwhile, I truly believe that Rodgers is the most physically and mentally (combined) gifted QB to ever play. Peyton was much more cerebral, and I'm sure there are guys who are more physical specimens, but combined, I don't think anyone in history is better. He doesn't have the accolades that Montana and Brady do, but just like I'd take Randy Moss over Rice, Gronk over Gonzalez, I'd take Rodgers over just about anyone other than Elway.

27 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

But none of them had Belichick, Kraft, Ernie Adams, Alex Guerrero's "supplements", the most gifted WR to ever play the game (Moss), the most gifted TE to ever play the game (Gronk), or a perennial top 10 defense.

Brady had all of that and still lost twice to Eli; a guy you think is a scrub. Plus even with all of that supporting cast, he also lost to an actual scrub in Sanchez and a backup in Foles.

All the other QBs that had a belichick as a HC won a combined ONE playoff game in 7+ seasons

13 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Aaron Rodgers.

To be clear, the belichick "system" is under .500, has one playoff app, one playoff win (WC Rd at home) and 5 losing seasons in 7 full seasons.  

Tom Brady IS the system. 

14 minutes ago, peebag said:

John Elway took 3 mediocre teams to Super Bowls all by his lonesome.

He's my pick.

Wait a minute.  Terrell Davis had 150 yards and 3 TDs in the Packers SB.  Elway had 123 yards passing with 0 TDs and 1 INT.  Not quite 'all by his lonesome'.  

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Wait a minute.  Terrell Davis had 150 yards and 3 TDs in the Packers SB.  Elway had 123 yards passing with 0 TDs and 1 INT.  Not quite 'all by his lonesome'.  

I think Pee was referring to the first three superbowls that Elway lost, not the final two that he won. I tend to agree with him.

Just now, nycdan said:

He was referring to the 80s broncos forgetting how bad the AFC was in those days and that Denver had top 10 days for first 2 trips and top 3 D for the 3rd trip.

When they went and actually won in the late 90s they did so on the back of Terrell Davis.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

To be clear, the belichick "system" is under .500, has one playoff app, one playoff win (WC Rd at home) and 5 losing seasons in 7 full seasons.  

Tom Brady IS the system. 

Comparing Belichick's first stint with the Browns is largely irrelevant. He's evolved as a coach. Hell, the first several years of Brady (when he was a high end game manager) don't matter as much as the offense Belichick started to implement when the NFL changed defensive holding rules in the mid-2000s.

The real deal is looking at the infrastructure that is there now and how other guys have performed in it. The answer is that guys like Matt Cassel, Jimmy Garrapolo and Jacoby Brissett have all performed well and won. And unfortunately for Jets fans when Brady retires I don't think the Pats are going away. Whatever guy they plug in there is going to be good too.

Just now, nyjunc said:

He was referring to the 80s broncos forgetting how bad the AFC was in those days

Great point. Another reason brady* shouldn't be considered. Look at the awful garbage that the AFC, and specifically AFC East has been producing during his career.

brady* is the Lebron of the NFL...picking off the scraps of the AFC (the eastern conference for Lebron).

7 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Agree with both of these, and is why I have them as my first and second choices.

Elway is one of only two starting QBs to reach the Super Bowl with multiple coaches. The other is Peyton. That is literally the definition of system-proof. Add to that, the fact that for the most part, he was dragging his teams there for the first 3 as opposed to being along for the ride, and his pedigree coming out of college and actually living up to it...he's definitely #1 to me. Sure, Terrell Davis and Shanahan's zone blocking scheme has a lot to do with him jumping from Marino status to SB Champ, but ultimately, no QB is winning a SB by themselves.

Meanwhile, I truly believe that Rodgers is the most physically and mentally (combined) gifted QB to ever play. Peyton was much more cerebral, and I'm sure there are guys who are more physical specimens, but combined, I don't think anyone in history is better. He doesn't have the accolades that Montana and Brady do, but just like I'd take Randy Moss over Rice, Gronk over Gonzalez, I'd take Rodgers over just about anyone other than Elway.

Peyton's coaches also made a SB without him(fox) and made a title game without him (Dungy). His other coach won multiple div titles without him then won a SB with no thanks to Manning.  Brady's coach won one WC game (at home), zero div titles without Brady.

2 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Great point. Another reason brady* shouldn't be considered. Look at the awful garbage that the AFC, and specifically AFC East has been producing during his career.

brady* is the Lebron of the NFL...picking off the scraps of the AFC (the eastern conference for Lebron).

The AFC was the dominant conference most of Brady's career. It's only recent that the NFC has been better and it's not a wide gap unlike the NBA.  How low will you sink to bash Brady?

Archived