JetNation

Mehta: Jets’ Adams Will be “Force” in 2018

Rate this topic

IMG_5878.jpg

While the excitement of New York Jets fans with the arrival of rookie quarterback Sam Darnold is palpable at this point, Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News says it’s last year’s top pick, safety Jamal Adams, who is going to be turning heads in 2018.

“He has all the tools to be a consistent difference-maker” says Mehta. Adams’ “confidence is pure and his passion is genuine”. A player whose leadership was highly touted out of LSU, in his piece, Mehta says not to expect a sophomore slump from one of the team’s unquestioned leaders.

With all of the talking Adams has been doing this off-season, he’d better hope Mehta is right, because while he did do some impressive things as a rookie, Adams was far from perfect.

According to Pro Football Focus, Adams gave up six touchdowns in coverage last season, but did an outstanding job in the box, leading all safeties in run stops.

His stellar play against the run is positive, but as the sixth overall pick, the Jets and their fans are expecting Adams to become a high-level player in every facet of the game.

Is that in the cards this season?  Mehta certainly seems to think so.

The post Mehta: Jets’ Adams Will be “Force” in 2018 appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
Bz-QK-odC9U

Click here to read the full story...

17 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I certainly hope he’s right, but there’s no reason to trust anything Mehta says about anything.

I see it the opposite.  He’s negative about everything Jets, so when he’s high on someone, it might be time to take notice.

23 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I see it the opposite.  He’s negative about everything Jets

This is false. Mehta's an access whore. If you give him good copy, he'll protect you forever. Not totally surprising Adams would be one of his guys.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

This is false. Mehta's an access whore. If you give him good copy, he'll protect you forever. Not totally surprising Adams would be one of his guys.

^This.  Adams' big mouth gives Mehta article fodder.  Of course he wants Adams to give him access.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Mehta drops his trousers and gives Adams access.  

1 hour ago, prime21 said:

I am looking very forward to seeing Jamal Adams play this year and hopefully take the next step in his progression to being an elite safety.

he has to learn how to cover first.  He's a box safety and his coverage skills aren't even remotely close to adequate.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Hey he will continue to be a good box safety.  The type of player you draft in the mid rounds of a draft.

Hahahahahaha.  So true.

Hopefully, he can become a better playing in the secondary.  He is young w/ lots of room for improvement.

3 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I see it the opposite.  He’s negative about everything Jets, so when he’s high on someone, it might be time to take notice.

Mehta has always been extremely high on Jets personnel that give him quotes.

3 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I suspect it's a little more transparent than that. It's when he says something negative about anything Jets-related then he's stupid, but when he says something positive he's smart. JMO. 

Well he was the 6th overall pick in the draft last year he better be a MF Force, forget the QB’s now as we got Darnold, but Hooker before injury looked like the next great CF S to come along in a very long time, and Lattimore won DRY.  Adams better be a beast, sadly he reminds me of a less stupid Pryor.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

a less stupid Pryor.

nicknamed that mug Mr BadAngles

It blows my mind we spent 6th overall on a box safety. Then picked another safety in the 2nd.

None premium positions better be All - Pro when picked at 6.

Top 10 picks should be QB, LT, Edge,  Corner, perhaps WR. Not a Safety.

It would be justified if he was Ed Reed, or Troy Polamalu, He's neither. He's an average athlete, with a Big mouth.