Mehta: Jets’ Adams Will be “Force” in 2018

JetNation

IMG_5878.jpg

While the excitement of New York Jets fans with the arrival of rookie quarterback Sam Darnold is palpable at this point, Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News says it’s last year’s top pick, safety Jamal Adams, who is going to be turning heads in 2018.

“He has all the tools to be a consistent difference-maker” says Mehta. Adams’ “confidence is pure and his passion is genuine”. A player whose leadership was highly touted out of LSU, in his piece, Mehta says not to expect a sophomore slump from one of the team’s unquestioned leaders.

With all of the talking Adams has been doing this off-season, he’d better hope Mehta is right, because while he did do some impressive things as a rookie, Adams was far from perfect.

According to Pro Football Focus, Adams gave up six touchdowns in coverage last season, but did an outstanding job in the box, leading all safeties in run stops.

His stellar play against the run is positive, but as the sixth overall pick, the Jets and their fans are expecting Adams to become a high-level player in every facet of the game.

Is that in the cards this season?  Mehta certainly seems to think so.

The post Mehta: Jets’ Adams Will be “Force” in 2018 appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
Bz-QK-odC9U

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I certainly hope he’s right, but there’s no reason to trust anything Mehta says about anything.

I see it the opposite.  He’s negative about everything Jets, so when he’s high on someone, it might be time to take notice.

23 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I see it the opposite.  He’s negative about everything Jets

This is false. Mehta's an access whore. If you give him good copy, he'll protect you forever. Not totally surprising Adams would be one of his guys.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

This is false. Mehta's an access whore. If you give him good copy, he'll protect you forever. Not totally surprising Adams would be one of his guys.

^This.  Adams' big mouth gives Mehta article fodder.  Of course he wants Adams to give him access.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Mehta drops his trousers and gives Adams access.  

1 hour ago, prime21 said:

I am looking very forward to seeing Jamal Adams play this year and hopefully take the next step in his progression to being an elite safety.

he has to learn how to cover first.  He's a box safety and his coverage skills aren't even remotely close to adequate.

3 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I see it the opposite.  He’s negative about everything Jets, so when he’s high on someone, it might be time to take notice.

Mehta has always been extremely high on Jets personnel that give him quotes.

3 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I suspect it's a little more transparent than that. It's when he says something negative about anything Jets-related then he's stupid, but when he says something positive he's smart. JMO. 

Well he was the 6th overall pick in the draft last year he better be a MF Force, forget the QB’s now as we got Darnold, but Hooker before injury looked like the next great CF S to come along in a very long time, and Lattimore won DRY.  Adams better be a beast, sadly he reminds me of a less stupid Pryor.

It blows my mind we spent 6th overall on a box safety. Then picked another safety in the 2nd.

None premium positions better be All - Pro when picked at 6.

Top 10 picks should be QB, LT, Edge,  Corner, perhaps WR. Not a Safety.

It would be justified if he was Ed Reed, or Troy Polamalu, He's neither. He's an average athlete, with a Big mouth. 

The pick there was clearly Lattimore or Watson.  

Lattimore had injury issues.  Mac drafts very conservatively.  He is not taking any chances on 6.

They did not like Watson's arm.  I think they got the better QB for East Rutherford.

Thus the Jets ended up with Adams, a box safety they use almost like a LB.

I think Minkah and Derwin James, each picked lower than 6, will show the NFL the impact an athletic safety can have.  I think they end up better than Adams, at Safety, but we shall see.  Adams will play a rover role like we had in high school.  

Maye will be the Better Safety who nets us INTs:

Can Jets’ other safety make leap to needed ballhawk?

Marcus Maye

As the Jets get close to training camp, I am going to examine the roster and give you my top 25 players. Each weekday, we will reveal another person on the list, leading right into camp. I am not including rookies on this list because I do not feel it is possible to fully evaluate them before they play a game.

No. 5: Marcus Maye

Last year’s ranking: Unranked (rookie)

Position: S

How acquired: Selected in the second round of the 2017 NFL Draft

Years left on contract: 3

2018 Salary Cap figure: $1.5 million

Looking back at 2017: Maye joined the Jets with less fanfare than fellow safety Jamal Adams last year, but he quickly established himself as a solid piece of the team’s future.

A starter from Day 1, Maye played deep safety more than Adams but was able to play close to the line of scrimmage when needed, too. He had two interceptions, two passes defensed and one forced fumble.

Maye started all 16 games before suffering an ankle injury in the final game of the season at New England.

Pro Football Focus did not grade Maye highly, which surprises me. My eyes tell me he is better than how they graded him. He was their 80th-ranked safety out of 89. PFF had him giving up three touchdowns. (J. Adams gave up 6 TDs in'17)

Maye was a steady presence in the defensive backfield for the Jets and showed impressive poise for a rookie. He is also a nice complement to Adams, who never stops talking. Maye talks a lot less and provides a counterbalance to Adams.

Outlook for 2018: Maye did not do much this spring as he recovered from a minor ankle surgery he had after the season. The expectation is he will be ready for training camp, but Maye’s health bears watching.

Once Maye is healthy, the Jets expect him to take the next step in his progression. They need Maye to be a ballhawk on the back end and start to make more plays. He had two interceptions last year. It would be a positive for the Jets if he could double that this season.

The Jets feel like their defense, and their secondary, in particular, is a strength of this team. Maye needs to be a big part of that. The combination of Adams and Maye looks like it will be a cornerstone of this organization for a long time.

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Hey he will continue to be a good box safety.  The type of player you draft in the mid rounds of a draft.

He's the next Eric Berry.  I honestly think so. 

I'll always consider the opportunity cost of not taking Lattimore there.  Who btw would've saved us $14 million cap savings because we wouldn't need trumaine Johnson.  And I know how nebulous nonsense it sounds but the NYJ really need culture changing guys.  Darnold on offense and Adams on defense are the best shot we've had since Chad Pennington's positivity which had a real impact on this team in a good and tangible way. 

Sam and Jamal can transcend the quagmire of negativity if they play up to their abilities and can bring legitimacy to this franchise.  So I'll take the rah-rah where I can.

Archived