Sam Darnold Reportedly Won't Attend Jets Training Camp with Contract Not Done

jetspenguin

New York Jets rookie quarterback Sam Darnold hasn't yet reported to his team's training camp while he works out the terms of his rookie contract with the Jets, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday.

Rapoport added the feeling among those with the Jets is Darnold's absence isn't a major cause for concern just yet:

As #Jets rookies are set to report today, first-round QB Sam Darnold is not among them, source said. His contract isn’t done yet, so he’s staying away. Important context: Vets don’t report yet and practice isn’t until Friday. It doesn’t feel like anyone involved is sweating it.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just would think this is the last thing we would hear considering how important it is to get him into camp. I know we dont want to hurt our future bargaining position but since the contracts are basically set except for for some language/offset details. If you believe in the kid that much then meet halfway and move along.

54 minutes ago, King P said:

In before the "EFF DARNOLD! HE'S BEING SELFISH!' posts 

Why would anyone say that?  He'd be an absolute fool to play before a contract was signed.

This is yet again Macc being unable to get the basic functions of his job done in a timely manner.  

With the rookie wage scale, there is no excuse for why this deal has not be signed and closed by this point.

Or, put differently, we talkin bout' offsets?  Offsets?  We talk'in bout offsets.  

maxresdefault.jpg

This is more like SOJ fans getting worked up before there is something to get worked up about. If Friday comes and he isn't signed, then it will be time to worry. I realize that everyone is jazzed to see Darnold at training camp (I am too), but with the rookie scale there isn't too much to work through. 5 of the top 10 draft picks still aren't signed and 2 that are signed, signed 2 days ago.

Neither Jets management, nor the press seem concerned, why should we? Just not a big deal yet, IMO.

Breaking News:

-Word out of CLE is Mayfield is ready to sign his contract but the team can’t find him a booster seat, and he can’t quite reach the signing table. 

-BUF is struggling to sign Josh Allen. He has a strong signature but after many failed attempts he still can’t get it on the dotted line. 

-Lamar Jackson signed his contract at the beginning of July, but league officials are considering it void because he wrote, “Balee-Dat!!” instead of his signature. 

-Rosen is signed. And like a true pro, he was able to expertly sign around his fallen tear drops. When asked why he used red ink, he proffered a ten minute thesis on how that’s the only color he sees and then tried popularizing, “#CardinalFire” among his hundreds of followers. 

The Jets haven't had any positive vibes floating around it's fanbase or the national audience for a while now, so you figure they would do everything in their power to continue the good cheer and positivity surrounding the Darnold pick and his performance in OTA's and get him into camp as quickly and as seamlessly as possible....but this organization can't seem to get out of it's own way most of the time and are now a few days away from turning a positive story into a negative one.  

Yes, this is a bit over the top, but for goodness sakes, can't things ever be easy with this team?

16 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

This is more like SOJ fans getting worked up before there is something to get worked up about. If Friday comes and he isn't signed, then it will be time to worry. I realize that everyone is jazzed to see Darnold at training camp (I am too), but with the rookie scale there isn't too much to work through. 5 of the top 10 draft picks still aren't signed and 2 that are signed, signed 2 days ago.

Neither Jets management, nor the press seem concerned, why should we? Just not a big deal yet, IMO.

Nobody's getting worked up...in fact surprisingly most of the post are relatively calm, patient. It's just news fodder to pass the time until camp starts.

Archived