Sam Darnold Reportedly Won't Attend Jets Training Camp with Contract Not Done

jetspenguin

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Or show future players you get pushed around easily.

Unless the Jets are asking for something Buffalo, Cleveland and Arizona didn't, Sam is just being a prick.

Disagree. I’m not saying they have to or should cave but the “F him” and name calling show a total lack of understanding of how this works

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Disagree. I’m not saying they have to or should cave but the “F him” and name calling show a total lack of understanding of how this works

It's a nice "F him".  ?

Kid needs to know his place.  Sucks he's not here but the team is more important than him.

Just now, Mike135 said:

It's a nice "F him".  ?

Kid needs to know his place.  Sucks he's not here but the team is more important than him.

Gotcha. :)

we all want him in camp, and hopefully soon. 

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

After seeing the Rappaport NFL Network piece I have a feeling this is about Darnolds Salary being paid in full before the lock out season in 2021 like Matt Ryan got.  

Now that makes sense!!  Good Sense..

And if I were the Agent I would fight for this as well......

IMO the Jets shouldn't look to contractual uncertainty to leverage that over their potential Franchise QB....

17 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

After seeing the Rappaport NFL Network piece I have a feeling this is about Darnolds Salary being paid in full before the lock out season in 2021 like Matt Ryan got.  

This seems to make sense. And who is Ryan’s agent? Tom Condon of CAA. Same agency representing Darnold and Raquon Smith, who is still unsigned. 

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

This seems to make sense. And who is Ryan’s agent? Tom Condon of CAA. Same agency representing Darnold and Raquon Smith, who is still unsigned. 

Yup, and 2021 will be Darnolds highest base salary year probably over 5 million, so getting that up front, and guaranteed even in the case of a league lock out is a big deal.

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Yup, and 2021 will be Darnolds highest base salary year probably over 5 million, so getting that up front, and guaranteed even in the case of a league lock out is a big deal.

Agree. Well done. 

Whether this is about offsets or voids/guarantees doesn't make much difference imo.

It could be about getting a complimentary Jets branded toenail clipper.  Still wouldn't matter.

If the Jets are pushing something Cleveland, Buffalo and Arizona didn't, then the Jets are wrong.  I have yet to hear that.  So imo Sam is being a fool here.

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Whether this is about offsets or voids/guarantees doesn't make much difference imo.

It could be about getting a complimentary Jets branded toenail clipper.  Still wouldn't matter.

If the Jets are pushing something Cleveland, Buffalo and Arizona didn't, then the Jets are wrong.  I have yet to hear that.  So imo Sam is being a fool here.

Why would Darnold’s agent push for something for him that he didn’t push for his other clients? Seems like he would be doing a bad job if he did that. Just by basic logic the differences in asking is likely coming from a team than a player and agent. 

8 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

It could he about getting a complimentary Jets branded toenail clipper.  Still wouldn't matter.

Those qbs told their agents They do not want  to miss any practices. Darnold obviously didn't demand that 

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Why would Darnold’s agent push for something for him that he didn’t push for his other clients? Seems like he would be doing a bad job if he did that. Just by basic logic the differences in asking is likely coming from a team than a player and agent. 

Because the agent has a previous rocky relationship with the team and wants to try and use them as the team that folds on certain things so he can get it for his other clients in the future.

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

I think it's more likely a schiesty agent and foolish rookie would ask for something out of the ordinary.  Time will tell 

9 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Can someone clarify what he might mean here? @Sperm Edwards?

41 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

See my post here, this might be the fight they both have dug their heels in for.

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

That is not what I heard... it's about guarantees after getting caught with drugs or arrests.

Any update on the dead hooker clause? Everybody knows your contract is Charmin if you ain’t got a dead hooker clause.

If that really is the case as to what the holdup is, and Darnold presumably doesn't have skeletons in his closet, this is clear and despicable posturing by Sexton so this can be easier to negotiate in the future for some clients he may not have as clean off field habits as Darnold. 

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If that really is the case as to what the holdup is, and Darnold presumably doesn't have skeletons in his closet, this is clear and despicable posturing by Sexton so this can be easier to negotiate in the future for some clients he may not have as clean off field habits as Darnold. 

That doesn’t make any sense. Jets could just say sorry we did it for Darnold cause he was clean but can’t if the player isn’t as good off the field.

1 minute ago, nico002 said:

That doesn’t make any sense. Jets could just say sorry we did it for Darnold cause he was clean but can’t if the player isn’t as good off the field.

It make perfect sense.  And it's not just his future clients that may sign with the Jets. It's all of his future clients.  

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

It make perfect sense.  And it's not just his future clients that may sign with the Jets. It's all of his future clients.  

I don’t agree. Every negotiation is unique. The Jets could give in to the Darnold contract and play hardball the next time- why not? 

14 minutes ago, nico002 said:

I don’t agree. Every negotiation is unique. The Jets could give in to the Darnold contract and play hardball the next time- why not? 

I don't really want to get into the basics of negotiations with you, but if you don't think setting a precedent opens up the door wide open in future negotiations, then I don't know what to tell you.

5 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I don't really want to get into the basics of negotiations with you, but if you don't think setting a precedent opens up the door wide open in future negotiations, then I don't know what to tell you.

Lol you have no idea what you’re talking about. Take a second to think of how what you’re describing would actually play out. Say the Jets “cave” on offset language with Darnold, why can’t they then take a hard stance in an upcoming negotiation? The Jets leverage is the same as always- they have draft rights and the player wants to play/doesn’t want to lose a year. The agent being able to say “oh well you did it for Darnold” really means nothing- all the Jets gave to say is “sorry that was a unique case” and negotiation is back to ground zero.

If Sam didn’t think whatever point is holding up the contract mattered- he’d be in camp. No agent would risk his reputation by playing with the career of a top prospect in order to get some fringe negotiating advantage for future non existing clients.

Archived