Sam Darnold Reportedly Won't Attend Jets Training Camp with Contract Not Done

jetspenguin

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dinamite said:

Worthy to note that josh allen and Baker Mayfield have also not signed.  Those guys all seem to be waiting for each other.

Neither has the #4 pick. 

Guessing he'll be signed by Friday, the first day of practice

20 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

And then NFL.com just sends out misleading headlines...and other fan bases get a good laugh in. 

7732D116-3F08-445C-9299-B5B7D5425D10.jpeg

B931D829-1289-4C6A-B235-04F2F274295B.jpeg

they cant f&&&^^^%ing wait to have something negative to say about us. I REALLY hope this kid is the truth!! I got a LONG list of people whose faces I'd love to rub it into...

the story went from...I'm waiting to sign a contract to....he WILL BE LATE to camp....smh

1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

Can't blame him. I thought it'd be fairly easy and would go by what position in the draft he was. The #3 pick gets X etc. Bottom line : Just get it done Macc

QBs usually get a little more than the slotted number. I don't know how Rosen did in that respect, but I'd guess they're waiting on Mayfield. Of course, Mayfield's team could be waiting on Darnold, too. Sam and Allen have the same agent, so they know what's going on there. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Why would anyone say that?  He'd be an absolute fool to play before a contract was signed.

This is yet again Macc being unable to get the basic functions of his job done in a timely manner.  

With the rookie wage scale, there is no excuse for why this deal has not be signed and closed by this point.

Or, put differently, we talkin bout' offsets?  Offsets?  We talk'in bout offsets.  

maxresdefault.jpg

Totally agree.

Come on Mac, it's not your money and you will only be here max another 2 years.  I know you have no experience with a first round player on the offensive side of the ball.  Just wing it. Just say yes to anything he asks for.

54 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

And then NFL.com just sends out misleading headlines...and other fan bases get a good laugh in. 

7732D116-3F08-445C-9299-B5B7D5425D10.jpeg

B931D829-1289-4C6A-B235-04F2F274295B.jpeg

That's groups for you ... ban them all

A little bit of house-cleaning here: Only three of the top nine picks from April’s draft have signed their rookie deals, and that’s counting Giants RB Saquon Barkley, who got his deal done on Sunday. That puts this class behind others that signed quickly under the 2011 CBA rules, which give little wiggle room when it comes to negotiation on rookie deals. So what’s the holdout? Offset language (which only comes into play if a player is cut in his first four years) is one battleground, as it has been for a while with top picks. Another this year, I’ve been told, is language that voids guarantees in contracts—like a suspension or arrest might. I understand if this seems silly to fans, but there are larger motivations at work: Agents want to win in these situations because it helps them to recruit, and teams wants to win to establish precedent.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/07/23/nfl-training-camps-matt-nagy-ryan-pace-chicago-bears-baltimore-ravens-darrelle-revis-tony-sparano?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com

27 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Totally agree.

Come on Mac, it's not your money and you will only be here max another 2 years.  I know you have no experience with a first round player on the offensive side of the ball.  Just wing it. Just say yes to anything he asks for.

Its about offset language or some other administrative crap. You already spent every 2nd rounder you'll  ever have. Just get the kid signed FFS

If nothing important happens until Friday, why have rookies report on Tuesday at all? I mean, are they all sitting around doing nothing until Friday, or are they already getting into playbook and meeting with coaches, etc? Any way you cut it, our most important off-season addition isn't where he's supposed to be to start out year one. Like somebody else said...why can't anything be easy with this team? 

4 minutes ago, freestater said:

If nothing important happens until Friday, why have rookies report on Tuesday at all? I mean, are they all sitting around doing nothing until Friday, or are they already getting into playbook and meeting with coaches, etc? Any way you cut it, our most important off-season addition isn't where he's supposed to be to start out year one. Like somebody else said...why can't anything be easy with this team? 

Cause Jets

3 hours ago, Dinamite said:

Worthy to note that josh allen and Baker Mayfield have also not signed.  Those guys all seem to be waiting for each other.

Thank you.....

The third pick in the draft should wait until the No. 1 signs so that they can see what kind of offset language Mayfield received; that is all.

13 minutes ago, Larz said:

Darnold posted on Instagram Sunday night that he was back in New York and something like 

New York will be good to me and I will be good to New York

"I love New York, I love the Jets, I am going to play here the rest of my career."

--Darrelle Revis, 2010

12 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

YEA BUT DOES HE MEAN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) 

lol

I'm kinda bummed I figured he would sign today and I could watch the last 1 Jets drive and get pumped 

Oh well 

No need to get upset until Friday 

3 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

his agent probably dropped this nugget to pressure the management into caving before camp....they know the fans want him in on time.

I think it was pretty obvious to anyone at Camp that Darnold was missing.  

Archived