Sam Darnold Reportedly Won't Attend Jets Training Camp with Contract Not Done

jetspenguin

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

First practice isn't till Friday. I would be surprised if the deal doesn't get done on time for that.

Friday. Good. Until then he can practice playing Madden and stay up to speed. 

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

This is about the way I first thought the chanches would go.  Thought McCown was a shoo in.

During the Spring I really got the feeling that the Jets FO really wanted Darnold out there opening day.  Like the odds, think I'll put a few pence on Darnold

I would too if I were a betting man.  They've got to get this show on the road.  It's harder to learn as a backup than it used to be.  Unless he is overwhelmed, I think he is going to start week one.

7 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I would too if I were a betting man.  They've got to get this show on the road.  It's harder to learn as a backup than it used to be.  Unless he is overwhelmed, I think he is going to start week one.

Nope

33 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Glad he doesn't have to fly in from Cali after they reach agreement.

Me too. That would be a sign he is dug in for a battle. 

Being in NY means this is just hardball negotiations, very routine 

55 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Have any of the first three QBs drafted signed yet?  Don't think so.  This isn't a Mac thing.

Yeah, who holds the GM responsible for signing the #1 pick on time for reporting day, I mean, CRAZY right?

Also, Mayfield and Allen have reportedly already agreed to their terms.  So yeah.

A team as sh*t as ours should be cognizant of PR, and the bad look of not having your golden boy new QB in camp on reporting day, even if it means little as long as he's here by Friday.

14 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Agents like to win those parts of the negotiation because it helps them recruit more clients. 

And I'm sure the teams like to win it too so they can say, "we don't do that for anyone."  But this is Darnold and they should be able to work it out before Friday.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yeah, who holds the GM responsible for signing the #1 pick on time for reporting day, I mean, CRAZY right?

Also, Mayfield and Allen have reportedly already agreed to their terms.  So yeah.

A team as sh*t as ours should be cognizant of PR, and the bad look of not having your golden boy new QB in camp on reporting day, even if it means little as long as he's here by Friday.

With Mayfield, Barkley and Allen signed, I fully expect Darnold to get signed today or tomorrow.

You don't have to be a genius to figure this out (slotting is a beautiful thing.  Best CBA provision ever!)

1. Mayfield - $32,683,000 fully guaranteed (includes $21,849,000 signing bonus)

2. Barkley - $31,195,000 fully guaranteed (includes $20,767,000 signing bonus)

3. Darnold -

4. Ward  -

5. Chubb - $27,271,000 fully guaranteed (includes $17,914,000 signing bonus)

6. Nelson - $23,899,000 fully guaranteed (includes $15,454,000 signing bonus)

7. Allen - $21,183,000 fully guaranteed (includes $13,486,000 signing bonus)

8. Smith - 

3 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

I wouldn't poo poo it too much.  Every snap counts when you are trying to win a job as a rookie.

It doesn't when no one really cares (or more to the point, no one really should care) if he wins the job from day 1.

If he's going to be that negatively impacted by sitting home for an extra 1-4 days in July then he isn't 1/10 the prospect he's been made out to be. 

1 hour ago, Dinamite said:

Ward, the 4th pick just signed.   So it looks like Darnold should know exactly where he should fit in slot wise.

Albert Breer‏ @AlbertBreer 

Good reminder here that the total/guaranteed money in rookie deals is slotted, and was negotiated as part of the 2011 CBA. Any wiggle room relates to contract language and cashflow.

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

if you could point me in teh right direction where i can read about this, i'd be most obliged!

:cheers:

There should be multiple articles that you can find by doing a google search of "slotted NFL rookie salaries"  from the time the CBA was approved that talk about that change.  I've never read that part of the actual CBA, but know that all draft picks will have slotted salaries that depend on where the player was drafted.  So by logic, if we know #1 & #2 as well as #5 and #6, we can easily see where Darnold's numbers should land, give or take a few hundred thousand dollars.  

16 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I imagine being a sports agent would be a nice job. I bet they roll in the dough too with the amount of players they represent, they get a fine cut out of each contract.

one of my ex-employee's husband is a Sports agent who represents several NFL and multiple MLB, NHL and NBA players.  He's by no means one of the more famous ones.  Need I say, they are quite well off.

Archived