Sam Darnold Reportedly Won't Attend Jets Training Camp with Contract Not Done

jetspenguin

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

one of my ex-employee's husband is a Sports agent who represents several NFL and multiple MLB, NHL and NBA players.  He's by no means one of the more famous ones.  Need I say, they are quite well off.

That makes me want to jump into that line of work. I might could do it being that I’m only 22...but I’ve never been great with numbers so I doubt I could pull it off.??

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

That makes me want to jump into that line of work. I might could do it being that I’m only 22...but I’ve never been great with numbers so I doubt I could pull it off.??

He has an MBA and accounting experience.  Many agents are lawyers. 

It's competetive and you need to be able to sell yourself and garner mucho accolades from those you initially represent.  For every success, I'll bet there dozens of abject failures.  Plus you need to have a very amicable personality at the begginning.  You can become a hostile a-hole only after you have the successful reputation  (j/k).

9 minutes ago, Dcat said:

He has an MBA and accounting experience.  Many agents are lawyers. 

It's competetive and you need to be able to sell yourself and garner mucho accolades from those you initially represent.  For every success, I'll bet there dozens of abject failures.  Plus you need to have a very amicable personality at the begginning.  You can become a hostile a-hole only after you have the succesful reputation

Woof...that sounds tough. No wonder the well reputable ones make major cash. Revis’s uncle made out like a bandit.?

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Only thing left is for one of the bullsh*t insiders, Rappaport or Shefter to repost this with an exclusive tag.

Don't make the mistake of thinking Manish has any insider sources either.  His tweets were not "reports" but simply a guess that he will sign between now and Friday and that the money is going to be what it is slotted to be.

Manish doesn't know anything more then you or I...he's making very educated guesses and implying that he has some inside info.

1 minute ago, IndianaJet said:

Don't make the mistake of thinking Manish has any insider sources either.  His tweets were not "reports" but simply a guess that he will sign between now and Friday and that the money is going to be what it is slotted to be.

Manish doesn't know anything more then you or I...he's making very educated guesses and implying that he has some inside info.

I didn't, I totally agree.  But I dont see an exclusive tag that ESPN & NFLN throw around and one will later today. :) 

The money isn’t the issue. It comes down to offset language and cash flow. My understanding is that Mayfield has offset language included, meaning that if he were to be cut by the Browns at some point and signed by another team the Browns would not owe him the amount of money remaining on his contract if it were as much as he would earn with the new team. (i.e. no  double dipping) The other issue is cash flow. When and how much do you pay these bonuses? Barkley apparently got $15 million deposited into his bank account yesterday. That is a lot....and it is quick!

Teams WANT offset language. Players and their agents do not want offset language. Teams want to stretch out bonuses. Players and agents want them as soon as possible. 

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

The money isn’t the issue. It comes down to offset language and cash flow. My understanding is that Mayfield has offset language included, meaning that if he were to be cut by the Browns at some point and signed by another team the Browns would not owe him the amount of money remaining on his contract if it were as much as he would earn with the new team. (i.e. no  double dipping) The other issue is cash flow. When and how much do you pay these bonuses? Barkley apparently got $15 million deposited into his bank account yesterday. That is a lot....and it is quick!

Teams WANT offset language. Players and their agents do not want offset language. Teams want to stretch out bonuses. Players and agents want them as soon as possible. 

Players dont actually care that much. It is all about the agents claiming a win because it is literally the only thing they can negotiate now so when they are signing prospects next year they can say they beat so and so team on offset language

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/07/25/sam-darnold-jets-rookie-quarterback-contract

Sam Darnold Expected to Sign Four-Year, $30.25 Million Deal, Bills Sign Josh Allen

Unmute
Current Time0:02
/
Duration Time0:15
Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%

YOU MIGHT LIKE

TO REVIVE ELI MANNING'S CAREER, GIANTS MUST RELY ON SAQUON BARKLEY
LE'VEON BELL VS. SAQUON BARKLEY: WHO WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE?
SAQUON BARKLEY, D.J. MOORE AMONG MOST IMPRESSIVE ROOKIES DURING NFL MINICAMPS
By EMILY CARON 
July 25, 2018

Jets rookie quarterback Sam Darnold is expected to sign a fully guaranteed four-year deal for $30.25 million with a signing bonus of about $20 million and a fifth-year team option, according to Jets reporter Manish Mehta

The former USC standout was noticeably absent at the start of Jets training camp on Tuesday. NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported that Darnold will not risk an injury in practices until his contract is finalized.

Darnold is the only rookie quarterback to remain unsigned, and is one of only four total draft picks who have not agreed to terms with their respective teams. The Bills No. 7 overall pick Josh Allen was on that list until this morning, when the team confirmed that Allen had signed. 

4 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

In MM defense, Ralph Vacchiano of SNY has reported the same thing. 

3 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

July 25, 2018o

Jets rookie quarterback Sam Darnold is expected to sign a fully guaranteed four-year deal for $30.25 million with a signing bonus of about $20 million and a fifth-year team option, according to Jets reporter Manish Mehta

The former USC standout was noticeably absent at the start of Jets training camp on Tuesday. NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported that Darnold will not risk an injury in practices until his contract is finalized.

Darnold is the only rookie quarterback to remain unsigned, and is one of only four total draft picks who have not agreed to terms with their respective teams. The Bills No. 7 overall pick Josh Allen was on that list until this morning, when the team confirmed that Allen had signed. 

It will be interesting to see if Mehtas new vibe did indeed land him a scoop 

11 hours ago, Larz said:

scoop?

he probably got it here.

You don't have to be a genius to figure this out (slotting is a beautiful thing.  Best CBA provision ever!)

1. Mayfield - $32,683,000 fully guaranteed (includes $21,849,000 signing bonus)

2. Barkley - $31,195,000 fully guaranteed (includes $20,767,000 signing bonus)

3. Darnold - 

4. Ward  - $29,165,000 fully guaranteed (includes $19,291,000 signing bonus)

5. Chubb - $27,271,000 fully guaranteed (includes $17,914,000 signing bonus)

6. Nelson - $23,899,000 fully guaranteed (includes $15,454,000 signing bonus)

7. Allen - (just signed - waiting for details)

8. R. Smith -

6 hours ago, Larz said:

I did not realize that Sam Darnold and Josh Allen both have the same agent.  It makes sense that Darnold will prob. sign today as the agent was in Buffalo yesterday finalizing the contract up there.  That agent is about to go on a very nice vacation after these two signings.

28 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

I did not realize that Sam Darnold and Josh Allen both have the same agent.  It makes sense that Darnold will prob. sign today as the agent was in Buffalo yesterday finalizing the contract up there.  That agent is about to go on a very nice vacation after these two signings.

Seems like bad business to pay an agent a few percent of a slotted rookie contract. A lot of these long drawn out “negotiations” are likely agents trying to convince their clients that they are actually doing something 

Camp starts this morning.  Even though first official practice is not till tomorrow, it is disappointing he is not there on first day.  Hopefully he will sign later today.

I wonder if Josh Allen got offset language in his contract.   Same agent as Darnold, as others have noted.

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I’m calling for Mac to be replaced if the deal doesn’t get done i am so sick and tired of this dysfunctional franchise

So ******* ridiculous. We are going to have the last draftee to sign. Always gotta be something screwed up going on with this team.

1 minute ago, freestater said:

So ******* ridiculous. We are going to have the last draftee to sign. Always gotta be something screwed up going on with this team.

I’m so sick of Macagnan and his retardation. He is just as bad as Idzik he just got lucky Sam fell in his lap

Who cares if he isn't there before the team gets on the field to practice. What is he missing? A meet and greet with coaches and other rookies? Death by PowerPoint? Being interviewed a thousand times. As long as he is there competing with Bridgewater when the team hits the field who cares

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

Who cares if he isn't there before the team gets on the field to practice. What is he missing? A meet and greet with coaches and other rookies? Death by PowerPoint? Being interviewed a thousand times. As long as he is there competing with Bridgewater when the team hits the field who cares

He’s barely 21 year old rookie.  I want Sam available and on duty so he can learn because no way are McClown and the Gimp surviving to even week 8

He’s barely 21 year old rookie.  I want Sam available and on duty so he can learn because no way are McClown and the Gimp surviving to even week 8
Just because he isn't at camp yet doesn't mean he is not learning. Do you think he wasn't given a playbook and tons of film to watch on his free time?

4 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Just because he isn't at camp yet doesn't mean he is not learning. Do you think he wasn't given a playbook and tons of film to watch on his free time?

“Just because he’s not at camp”

You Macagnan lovers are off the chain

Bowles must love this. Darnold will sign his contract tomorrow morning and be one hour late to practice on the first day. Four weeks from now Bowles says, “well, the rookie got into camp late and he’s still getting up to speed. I’ve got to go with what I’ve seen and our veterans are ready. McCown starts and Teddy will be the backup for the first couple months of the season. We’ll see after that.”

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Yeah, I'm sure if he's in camp at 8am instead of 3pm the whole season changes for him.  He'll have to cram his weigh in after hours I guess.  Hope he can handle it.  

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think Roquan Smith is the only one that didn't sign yet, but Bears camp started a week early than ours.  AFAIK, he is in full blown hold-out mode.

Well look at that. For once, were behind the bears at being the worst at something, instead of the browns. Yay, us.

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Mayfield, Barkley, Darnold, Ward, Allen and others all sign within 24 hours of each other.  

Which fan base is up in arms & offended by the process?

Only some JET fans that don't understand Sam will be fine, will probably be signed today. and if not tonight or tomorrow, no big deal. We have a lot of fans that just want to whine about something

Archived