Curious, who of you is actually living in or really from the New York area?

Part of the reason I'm at a Jets forum.  I just wanted to see if there's  something different  about how they talk ,think,  or what ever else. I know that may not come through in text in various ways. 

I'm' from west coast. Born/lived in Southern California for 50 years. Till the last 3 years, where I've lived in Oregon. 

One thing I think about is, maybe I wish I had lived in,around NY because I hate driving. At least in NY, it's considered normal to not even have a car. Trains run all the time and you don' have to impress a woman with one. In California, transit is considered the poor loser vehicle and doesn't  run as frequently.  Really ****s with having a life.

17 hours ago, Hackenberg said:

Part of the reason I'm at a Jets forum.  I just wanted to see if there's  something different  about how they talk ,think,  or what ever else. I know that may not come through in text in various ways. 

I'm' from west coast. Born/lived in Southern California for 50 years. Till the last 3 years, where I've lived in Oregon. 

One thing I think about is, maybe I wish I had lived in,around NY because I hate driving. At least in NY, it's considered normal to not even have a car. Trains run all the time and you don' have to impress a woman with one. In California, transit is considered the poor loser vehicle and doesn't  run as frequently.  Really ****s with having a life.

Just got back from Oregon:  Portland, Mitchell then Ontario.

Born in Brooklyn then moved upstate when I was 5. Been in Buffalo last 40 years. ( My God where DOES the time go ! )

22 minutes ago, GATA-Bot said:

Does Jersey count as the NY area asking for a friend?

I would say most definitely. Then again I'm from the Midwest so everything outside the confines of a soybean field confuses and frightens me. 

3 minutes ago, Bombdirt said:

I would say most definitely. Then again I'm from the Midwest so everything outside the confines of a soybean field confuses and frightens me. 

You're in Illinois - that a megatropolis compared to Nebraska

Brooklyn born and raised, still living here.

One rule regarding Brooklynese: drop Rs when they’re there and add them when they’re not, almost always when a word ends in -a.

Popcorn becomes popcawn.

Soda becomes soder.

My government teacher in high school literally used to say Barack Obamer. Smart guy, too.

19 hours ago, Hackenberg said:

This seems like a good opportunity to regale everyone who's reading this on a phone while sitting on the toilet with a personal story as to how I became a Jets fan. 

I'm from Illinois, born and raised. I live in an area dominated by Bears fans, alongside a healthy contingent of Colts folks mixed in for good measure. Every so often I see dudes in Packers gear as well. Point is, it's not the most eclectic location in the world sports-wise. 

When I was growing up, the afterglow of the Bears' '85 championship and the presence of Michael Jordan on the basketball court caused all of my schoolmates to be overly boisterous about their sports teams, and it seemed like everybody was down with Chicago. 

My natural instinct when faced with that kind of groupthink, I've come to realize, is to be a total contrarian. All of my friends' verbal jacking off over Jordan, the Bears and the Cubs (even when the Cubs were complete sh*t) drove me toward other teams, specifically the Knicks since they were one of the bigger thorns in the Bulls' proverbial side during the 90s. Thus I became a fan of New York basketball, which led to me rooting for the city's teams across all sports. 

Interestingly enough, one of the motivating factors for me choosing the Jets over the Giants was that I could find all kinds of cheap Jets gear at the local sporting goods store. Jets stuff was always on clearance because no one wanted it for some reason. 

In any case, I settled on the Jets, Knicks, Yankees and Rangers. Outside of the Yankees' World Series wins during the subsequent period, I've been miserable ever since. I can't imagine myself rooting for any other teams, though. I guess I'm loyal to a fault. 

So anyway, to answer your question: I'm from Illinois. I've never even been to New York. It's on my Official List of Stuff to Do Before I Go Senile, though. Gotta see all my teams play on their home turf and meet a few of you fine folks in person. 

21 minutes ago, peebag said:

You're in Illinois - that a megatropolis compared to Nebraska

I actually like Nebraska quite a bit--what I've seen of it anyway. I've driven to Omaha a few times over the years for 311 shows, and have never had an unwelcoming experience from the locals. 

58 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Just got back from Oregon:  Portland, Mitchell then Ontario.

Born in Brooklyn then moved upstate when I was 5. Been in Buffalo last 40 years. ( My God where DOES the time go ! )

Ok, so what' different about NY/NJ/Buffalo people, as opposed to Oregon etc.

1 minute ago, Hackenberg said:

Ok, so what' different about NY/NJ/Buffalo people, as opposed to Oregon etc.

I guess it depends on WHERE in Oregon you are. Portland was errr different. Not use to seeing dogs in Target, Walmart , Pharmacy's  etc. Seemed like quite the liberal area. People seemed a little less friendly. Preoccupied with their own thing.

Now Mitchel on the other hand was complete opposite. VERY friendly people (maybe because there's so few of them) , conservative area. Old fashion values.

I have found people in the deep South to be IMHO the friendliest of them all. They don't much care who you are. When they tell you "Ya'll have a nice day" they really mean it.

I've been to every state except for 4. I find city people are less friendly than small town people. Same here in NY. Buffalo's people are fairly friendly even though it's a city. Just one man's opinion.

20 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

I guess it depends on WHERE in Oregon you are. Portland was errr different. Not use to seeing dogs in Target, Walmart , Pharmacy's  etc. Seemed like quite the liberal area. People seemed a little less friendly. Preoccupied with their own thing.

Now Mitchel on the other hand was complete opposite. VERY friendly people (maybe because there's so few of them) , conservative area. Old fashion values.

I have found people in the deep South to be IMHO the friendliest of them all. They don't much care who you are. When they tell you "Ya'll have a nice day" they really mean it.

I've been to every state except for 4. I find city people are less friendly than small town people. Same here in NY. Buffalo's people are fairly friendly even though it's a city. Just one man's opinion.

Would a black dude feel the same about most od the south?   A white friends daughter went to UAB a few years ago. Seemed to find quite a few racists. 

I don' want the thread to turn into a racist gig. Just asking once here. Want to stick to a NY theme lol

Just now, Hackenberg said:

Would a black dude feel the same about most of the south?   A white friends daughter went to UAB a few years ago. Seemed to find quite a few racists. 

I don' want the thread to turn into a racist gig. Just asking once here. Want to stick to a NY theme lol

Good question. I last went to campus (Tuscaloosa) about 10 years ago . Some of the friendliest people were black. Can't say the same here. About 50/50. I didn't notice any outright tension but then again that was 10 years ago. 

38 minutes ago, Hackenberg said:

Ok, why?  Just from Internet stereotypes, I don' think so either lol. But why actually? 

Western NY is far more rural.  It's closer to the mid-west/rust-belt in many ways, culturally, economically, politically.

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Here in Charlotte, I make it a point to tell people that anyone from north of Sullivan and Dutchess County are hicks and don't really qualify as NYers. They are more like Illinois and Iowa. :)

:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Hackenberg said:

So, what about taking a subway every day? Anyone do that?  Not only for work  but for night life too? Makes drinking easier, I would think

The wife and I will take the subway downtown for baseball ( Bisons) or hockey (Sabres) games. Of course that's after we get done milkin the cows.

Archived