Curious, who of you is actually living in or really from the New York area?

20 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Good question. I last went to campus (Tuscaloosa) about 10 years ago . Some of the friendliest people were black. Can't say the same here. About 50/50. I didn't notice any outright tension but then again that was 10 years ago. 

Baby Crusher spent 3 years playing ball at Central Arkansas. Sweetest people I have ever met. Bring that banger bang food too. 

22 hours ago, Hackenberg said:

So, what about taking a subway every day? Anyone do that?  Not only for work  but for night life too? Makes drinking easier, I would think

What about it?

Swipe your card.  Sit down (or stand) and get where you need to go.  It's very easy.

Sometimes there are panhandlers.  Sometimes there are people sleeping.  Overall, people just mind their own business and go to and from work.

Nightlife, for the most part, I'll take a cab/car.  But, don't get out much as I used to so it's not like I'm spending a fortune on cars every CC cycle.

4 hours ago, TeddEY said:

What about it?

Swipe your card.  Sit down (or stand) and get where you need to go.  It's very easy.

Sometimes there are panhandlers.  Sometimes there are people sleeping.  Overall, people just mind their own business and go to and from work.

Nightlife, for the most part, I'll take a cab/car.  But, don't get out much as I used to so it's not like I'm spending a fortune on cars every CC cycle.

Well, yeah,..what about it? That's' the thing though. That's common place to you. Rapid transit sucks in Los Angeles. It's not frequent and it's looked down upon in LA.

I think LA is trying to get there..they'e been building  tracks up and down the state (above ground  trains) 

Born and raised in Forest Hills, Queens (still live there) which is a healthy 2.5 mile walk to where Shea Stadium used to be.  I saw a ton of Mets and Jets games at Shea.  I used to cut out of school more times than I care to admit with a bunch of friends to go to Mets day games  We walked all the way to Shea (until we got a little older and started taking the train), rolled up a few single dollar bills, and handed them to an usher at the gate who usually let us all in to what was an almost empty stadium most days in the late 70's and early 80's.  

My father had Jets season tickets since before I was born and took me to my first game in 1975.  It was Jets vs. Dolphins. Namath threw 6 INT's  and the Jets lost 43-0.  Fun times!  I've been torturing myself with the Jets ever since!

3 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

Born and raised in Forest Hills, Queens (still live there) which is a healthy 2.5 mile walk to where Shea Stadium used to be.  I saw a ton of Mets and Jets games at Shea.  I used to cut out of school more times than I care to admit with a bunch of friends to go to Mets day games  We walked all the way to Shea (until we got a little older and started taking the train), rolled up a few single dollar bills, and handed them to an usher at the gate who usually let us all in to what was an almost empty stadium most days in the late 70's and early 80's.  

My father had Jets season tickets since before I was born and took me to my first game in 1975.  It was Jets vs. Dolphins. Namath threw 6 INT's  and the Jets lost 43-0.  Fun times!  I've been torturing myself with the Jets ever since!

One October night, in 1979 after a concert, I was parked at Shea, took 7 train in.  Me and 2 buddies, all 17, climbed the center field cyclone fence, the 20 foot high fence in between the real home run fence and where the players parked their cars.  We threw a football over and played football in Shea for about 1/2 an hour at 1 in the morning or so. WAITING for security to chase us out. Never happened,  We were kicking field goals etc, running plays. All I can think is guys about our age were security and said...  as long as they dont do damage, they'll leave. I dont want to write a report.  It was a blast thought. 

Originally from Queens (Rockaway Beach). Joe was still a Jet and making appearances on stuff like the Brady Bunch and my favorite color was green, and at 5 years old, that was enough to ruin me for life. 

Moving to South Florida cemented my attitude as a Jets fan amongst the riff raff that is South Florida. My Dad becoming a Dolphins fan when we moved down made me a contrarian hard ass of a Jets fan by the age of 9. 

Lived all over since HS....Army, South Carolina, DC area, a short time on the West Coast (Irvine, CA), Boston, and then back here to this hell on earth, Florida. Always remained a loyal die hard Jet Fan.

Waiting for the F***ing pay off....lol

11 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Originally from Queens (Rockaway Beach). Joe was still a Jet and making appearances on stuff like the Brady Bunch and my favorite color was green, and at 5 years old, that was enough to ruin me for life. 

Moving to South Florida cemented my attitude as a Jets fan amongst the riff raff that is South Florida. My Dad becoming a Dolphins fan when we moved down made me a contrarian hard ass of a Jets fan by the age of 9. 

Lived all over since HS....Army, South Carolina, DC area, a short time on the West Coast (Irvine, CA), Boston, and then back here to this hell on earth, Florida. Always remained a loyal die hard Jet Fan.

Waiting for the F***ing pay off....lol

I sort of was a JETS and Giants fan til about 18 and went to college in Buffalo.  THAT, with all those Ahole fans made me defend our city and solidified me as a JETS only fan. That was the Gastineau, Klecko heyday 1980 to 1984. 

On 7/28/2018 at 12:19 PM, ChuckkieB said:

Were games that empty back then?  The few weekend ga,es I went in the early 80s were crowded. But we sat close to the field. 

On 7/28/2018 at 3:33 PM, southparkcpa said:

One October night, in 1979 after a concert, I was parked at Shea, took 7 train in.  Me and 2 buddies, all 17, climbed the center field cyclone fence, the 20 foot high fence in between the real home run fence and where the players parked their cars.  We threw a football over and played football in Shea for about 1/2 an hour at 1 in the morning or so. WAITING for security to chase us out. Never happened,  We were kicking field goals etc, running plays. All I can think is guys about our age were security and said...  as long as they dont do damage, they'll leave. I dont want to write a report.  It was a blast thought. 

Miss the glory days.  

Now kids get Gett high and play video games. 

Were games that empty back then?  The few weekend ga,es I went in the early 80s were crowded. But we sat close to the field. 

Up until 1984 when Gooden was called up and the team started to make some noise, the stadium was regularly empty. The place was a ghost town for weekday afternoon games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Miss the glory days.  

Now kids get Gett high and play video games. 

I also imagine they would never  allow us to continue and would have arrested us these days.  At that age, half the fun is the chase and we almost in a strange way wanted to be chased out. It was weird leaving on our own.

15 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

Twp or boro

Well either way I wouldn't move here both towns were ruined 20 years ago by assholes from big cities that prefer sidewalks over trees and think they created the best school district and safest town in NJ, if they only knew. P.S.  signed the real Batman...lol.IMG_1106.jpeg

3 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

Well either way I wouldn't move here both towns were ruined 20 years ago by assholes from big cities that prefer sidewalks over trees and think they created the best school district and safest town in NJ, if they only knew. P.S.  signed the real Batman...lol.

Why not take advantage of the fact that the assholes probably quadrupled (at worst) your home’s value and cash out?

11 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

Well either way I wouldn't move here both towns were ruined 20 years ago by assholes from big cities that prefer sidewalks over trees and think they created the best school district and safest town in NJ, if they only knew. P.S.  signed the real Batman...lol.IMG_1106.jpeg

They never lived in the city. They like the burbs. 

This has been an interesting thread. Back in "The Day" there was no real crossover to really being a fan of an out of town team as there was no internet or any way to see the games.  You rooted locally, not for the laundry but the building so you were either Mets-Jets or Evil Empire-Giants. Now there are really choices and it seems that a winning team garners fans from everywhere. So expect the roster of global Jets fans tp grow exponentially with the  coming run of Darnold led Super Bowl teams. You will all be able to brag that you were fans before the Golden Years.

BTW: Many folks are New Yorkers and don't even realize it. Since it is the center of the World (at least until Shanghai takes over), everyplace else is just one of our suburbs :)

4 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

This has been an interesting thread. Back in "The Day" there was no real crossover to really being a fan of an out of town team as there was no internet or any way to see the games.  You rooted locally, not for the laundry but the building so you were either Mets-Jets or Evil Empire-Giants. Now there are really choices and it seems that a winning team garners fans from everywhere. So expect the roster of global Jets fans tp grow exponentially with the  coming run of Darnold led Super Bowl teams. You will all be able to brag that you were fans before the Golden Years.

BTW: Many folks are New Yorkers and don't even realize it. Since it is the center of the World (at least until Shanghai takes over), everyplace else is just one of our suburbs :)

Im in my 50's and can remember we always had those ahole Steeler, Cowboys fans even before cable TV. 

On 8/6/2018 at 2:41 PM, southparkcpa said:

Im in my 50's and can remember we always had those ahole Steeler, Cowboys fans even before cable TV. 

Cause in the 70s they were winning, and were always on TV.

I grew up in Northern Jersey.   I was an odd kid who at 9 years old loved reading about sports history.   Read about the AFL/NFL merger, the Sack Exchange was in it's heyday, my first year as a real fan we lost the Mud Bowl.

Yep. I’m 49 and remember one of my favorite local bars in Forest Hills on Austin Street called Keegan’s regularly had a large group of Cowboys and Steelers fans there just about every week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived