Would you start Sam Darnold from Game 1?

Sarge4Tide

Darnold  

63 members have voted

1. 1. If you were in charge, would you start Sam Darnold from Game 1 and stick with him come what may?

• Yes! Absolutely
    • Probably
    • Probably Not
    • Hell No!

6 hours ago, FlagmanL11 said:

If he is totally ready yes, if not he can sit for a while and watch from the sidelines.  We don't need another Sanchez situation.  Plus if Bridgewater wins the job then we have a marketable 25 year old QB that can possibly fetch some draft picks before the trade deadline.  O line needs to show they can protect as I am sure Darnold will be holding the ball for a split second longer as he gets used to the speed of the game.  

the sanchez situation was caused by sanchez but it was also caused by rex.  rex was just not a very good head coach.

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

How could someone make an intelligent decision while disregarding the preseason or TC?

Look, this debate is going to take care of itself as 1 of 2 things are going to happen.

1.  Mccown or Bridgewater outplays Darnold and its clear to the team that he isnt the best option under center.  I hope its Bridgewater if thats the case but either way it will mean Darnold isnt starting week 1.

2. Darnold shows enough of a grasp of the offense and enough physical ability to make the race close enough to give him the nod (either by a nose or in a landslide)

Anyone who thinks we should simply "not rush him and wait until week 5" is essentially saying this team is going to be 5-11 on the year.   If we start Mccown or TB week 1 and by week 5 the team is doing so poor that its "time to start darnold" that means we are putting a rookie into a 1-3 or even 0-4 situation which I for one wouldnt want.  There is simply nothing that he can learn sitting on the bench and not getting in-week reps for 4 weeks that would suddenly vault him into the starting spot unless the team is struggling.  If Mccown or TB is doing well and the team is 3-1, then we are looking at a week 10 or later situation for him starting once we are out of contention.

Lastly, while Watson had more starts then Darnold in college, he had many criticisms (turnovers, spread offense, arm strength) that the pundits said required him to sit and learn, and he clearly had no issues thriving when he got on the field.

Personally I hope he shows enough mechanical improvement and grasp of the offense to allow us to move TB to recoup a pick and have Sam start the year.

with you on this.  i also want to make sure the team is on board.  darnold needs to win his team over.  he does all that and i see no reason to keep him on the bench.  i know there are 3 games in 10 or 11 days to start the season but if the rest of the team is ready to play and so is he then he should play.

7 hours ago, slats said:

The answer to this question is, "no." Not regardless of how he plays in camp/preseason. 

What I'd be looking for from him would simply be competence. Does he understand the offense? Is he calling the right protections? Are his teammates responding to him as their leader? If he looks the part, I'd be willing to absorb the rookie growing pains and roll with him from Day One. I tend to believe that's the feeling at One Jets Drive, too. 

7 hours ago, FlagmanL11 said:

If he is totally ready yes, if not he can sit for a while and watch from the sidelines.  We don't need another Sanchez situation.  Plus if Bridgewater wins the job then we have a marketable 25 year old QB that can possibly fetch some draft picks before the trade deadline.  O line needs to show they can protect as I am sure Darnold will be holding the ball for a split second longer as he gets used to the speed of the game.  

The two best responses here. I agree, let’s just wait and see...

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

redux. i find myself colored by the fact that the jets wont do it.

i want them to, but i dont think they will.

if chez could start sam should start!

Sanchez also had a super bowl ready roster around him and more importantly an all star offensive line.

6 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I honestly can't believe people in this thread are saying things like "if it's close start the veterans." Some of you guys are out of your minds.

THREE. GAMES.  IN.  TEN.  DAYS. 

Leaving a rookie Darnold approximately a combined 6 days to prepare for weeks 2 and 3 considering the late Monday night and travel.   And then he goes to play a vicious Jags pass rush in 96 degree heat in week 4 for a 1PM kickoff.  The Jets OL will melt in the 4th quarter.  I live in SW Florida and have been to Jax for a 1 PM game.  The 41-0 loss in 2006.   It is ridiculous.  Hot, humid, stale air.

You're the one who his out of his fn' mind.

The scenario I am hoping for is that Sam plays well in the pre-season and shows promise but doesn't win the starting job. Bridgewater outplays McCown and wins the job and is traded at he deadline for a decent return. Sam takes the reins and we don't look back.

Or Sam has a Marinoesque pre-season and plays so well they have to start him. I will take either one.

5 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Leaving a rookie Darnold approximately a combined 6 days to prepare for weeks 2 and 3 considering the late Monday night and travel.   And then he goes to play a vicious Jags pass rush in 96 degree heat in week 4 for a 1PM kickoff.  The Jets OL will melt in the 4th quarter.  I live in SW Florida and have been to Jax for a 1 PM game.  The 41-0 loss in 2006.   It is ridiculous.  Hot, humid, stale air.

Well when you put it into perspective like that.....

You know there's going to be mistakes with Darnold. But will good plays and well above average ability at the Qb position outweigh those problems on gameday. Can he learn the position and still win games. At least put the team in a position to win games. The Jets could be competitive this year with any of the three Qbs. But is Darnold the guy who can take us to the playoffs this season. There is a very good chance that he gives us our best chance. Sure I'd start him this season. 

19 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Actually, I’m agreeing. It may not be the best idea given the JagsD, heat, O-line being unstable, ect. 

But what do you do if he just plays really acceptable in the preseason? 

I think Darnold is our guy.  Optimistic for the first time in forever.   If I was the HC, Darnold would have to be a full 2 notches better than Bridge and Josh for me to even consider naming Sam to open the season under these circumstances.  I just don't think I could do it.  

It is a really bad situation for a rookie QB.  You can't put a QB in bubble wrap.  The good ones will get kicked in the teeth and come out on top eventually.   Throwing a kid to the wolves is one thing.  But this is throwing him into a river full of territorial hippopotamuses in the middle of mating season.

17 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I think Darnold is our guy.  Optimistic for the first time in forever.   If I was the HC, Darnold would have to be a full 2 notches better than Bridge and Josh for me to even consider naming Sam to open the season under these circumstances.  I just don't think I could do it.  

It is a really bad situation for a rookie QB.  You can't put a QB in bubble wrap.  The good ones will get kicked in the teeth and come out on top eventually.   Throwing a kid to the wolves is one thing.  But this is throwing him into a river full of territorial hippopotamuses in the middle of mating season.

True. I think i’m starting to side with this approach. He didn’t just jump into the USC job either. He took over but he wasn’t given that opportunity right away so he did have time to see how it’s done...probably should do that one this level as well.

17 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

True. I think i’m starting to side with this approach. He didn’t just jump into the USC job either. He took over but he wasn’t given that opportunity right away so he did have time to see how it’s done...probably should do that one this level as well.

He is going to start at some point this season one way or another... by injury, situation, coach's decision, etc.

There is no real reason for him to open the season under these circumstances.

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

So what? Those teams defenses aren't even good if anything you want him to get experience against them before he has to play the Jaguars, Broncos and Vikings.

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

It's the NFL, man. You can't coddle and hide. Rookies who are good play almost immediately in today's NFL. Playing a vet who has no future here because he's "close" to our prized rookie is a colossal waste of time and opportunity. It's a backward out of touch approach.

ladies and gents...   this IS a 5-11 team...  mclown is the prototype 5-11 QB.

stay in the game and do his bs and lose it, type dude.

teddy MIGHT be good for 1-2 more wins, by dintg of steadiness and shrt accuracy.

its sams team.

4 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

So what? Those teams defenses aren't even good if anything you want him to get experience against them before he has to play the Jaguars, Broncos and Vikings.

It's the NFL, man. You can't coddle and hide. Rookies who are good play almost immediately in today's NFL. Playing a vet who has no future here because he's "close" to our prized rookie is a colossal waste of time and opportunity. It's a backward out of touch approach.

Normally I’d agree but Sam is young for a nfl rookie and week 1 is on the road at Detroit facing a defense that has pass rushers

Let McCown and/Or Bridgewater play and get benched or injured by week 3 Sam will be in with 0 pressure

14 hours ago, RoadFan said:

This is a fair argument for sitting him - however, you have to take the teams into context, and yes, we should chalk up Jacksonville as a L regardless of who is under center, that defense is nuts and got better this offseason.

Detroit and Miami are great teams to start the season against.  Ansah is a good player but other then that Detroit's defense is below average and will be learning a new, complicated system while at the same time having very little to work with film wise as far as what Bates/Darnold will be doing offensively.  Im much more worried about detroits Oline controlling the clock in that game and running the ball well, but thats not for Darnold to worry about.

As for miami, they too have one pass rusher (two if charles harris takes a step in year 2) but a questionable secondary, weak offense, and will also have 5 days to evaluate what our offense looked like vs detroit which isnt a ton of time.  Plus we will be at home.

After that cleveland will be a tough game and jacksonville is a very very likely loss.  If sam is ready, i simply dont see holding him out due to the short weeks.  Its on our staff to simplify the game plans enough that he isnt overwhelmed with the short prep time 

22 hours ago, bitonti said:

A football team needs to be a meritocracy. Even Sam Darnold needs to earn his reps. He should play, if he's better than both McCown and Bridgewater.

Says it all

chez is a reason to be cautious, Pete Carroll was right, Mark needed more time and was so coddled that when he needed to stand on his own, there was no foundation and he crumbled

To develop, Sam needs experience for sure but also needs confidence, he can learn from watching how the veterans prepare and play, he can play in every game without the pressure of starting or getting benched if he stumbles, there are no absolutes, should be fun to watch it play out 

15 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

The scenario I am hoping for is that Sam plays well in the pre-season and shows promise but doesn't win the starting job. Bridgewater outplays McCown and wins the job and is traded at he deadline for a decent return. Sam takes the reins and we don't look back.

Or Sam has a Marinoesque pre-season and plays so well they have to start him. I will take either one.

This is all I want... trading bridgewater can happen if he plays decent in preseason - but after Sam tears it up.

I would not start darnold week 1 even if he wins the job. Bridgewater could be valuable if he can stay healthy for a couple of weeks. It is worth showing off teddy raising his value further, getting good compensation for him then giving darnold the rest of the season

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

5 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

chez is a reason to be cautious, Pete Carroll was right, Mark needed more time and was so coddled that when he needed to stand on his own, there was no foundation and he crumbled

To develop, Sam needs experience for sure but also needs confidence, he can learn from watching how the veterans prepare and play, he can play in every game without the pressure of starting or getting benched if he stumbles, there are no absolutes, should be fun to watch it play out 

And then Carroll started Wilson as a rookie from week 1 on after Sanchez got to back to back AFCG

Sanchez was what he was.  Sitting on the bench for 3 years he would have turned out the same way

That said I wouldn’t start Sam week 1 I think it’s a bad spot in the road at Detroit they have pass rushers and Patricia is actually going to be good

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

And then Carroll started Wilson as a rookie from week 1 on after Sanchez got to back to back AFCG

Sanchez was what he was.  Sitting on the bench for 3 years he would have turned out the same way

That said I wouldn’t start Sam week 1 I think it’s a bad spot in the road at Detroit they have pass rushers and Patricia is actually going to be good

Well if Patricias good he's bucking the trend of the Belichick tree. Not a lot of success. Hell, even Bill Obrien is OK, dude has a really good defense, that helps him out. 

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Well if Patricias good he's bucking the trend of the Belichick tree. Not a lot of success. Hell, even Bill Obrien is OK, dude has a really good defense, that helps him out. 

I agree I think Patricia is the one Patriots Assistant who actually becomes a good Head Coach.  The rest were all horrible

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I agree I think Patricia is the one Patriots Assistant who actually becomes a good Head Coach.  The rest were all horrible

Well, we'll see. Remember, while we kill Bowles & Rogers on this site daily, Patricia & the Patriots defense didn't force the Eagles to punt once. Easiest job in the world during the Super Bow was being the Eagles punter. 

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I think Wilson was mentally prepared from day 1 and that helped him overcome the learning curve and physical limitations (also have a SB ready team).  Apparently there is no draft test for "mentally prepared" but Pete did figure that out in pre-season

Agree that Mark is who he is but he had the talent to be a franchise QB, he never developed the mental aspect of the job and would have had a better chance to learn that if he had the opportunity to watch a Pro and earn the job, he went from over confident to butt fumble in three years, you could see him quitting in that 5 turnover titans game and he never recovered

It can't hurt to allow Sam to watch and learn for a few games, we will see how the pre-season goes, I would not hold him back if he is ready but see no reason to push it, should be treated as a long term investment assuming Mac gets him signed

He's 21 years old, has played two seasons of college football, the O-line is questionable, and the Jets are lacking in weapons.   Why risk ruining the kid this season?  Let McCown and Bridgewater battle it out and maybe - maybe get him some starts late in the season.  He wasn't drafted to be the next David Carr.  Let's be patient with the most important asset the Jets have had in a very long time.  What's the rush?  

Archived