Sam expected to sign 4 @ 30.25M with team option for 5th

ASH1962

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shameful and stupid job by the Jets with Darnold's contract.  You paid a good price to move up
to #3 and with the slotting system you knew what the value of the contract would be.  STOP
ARGUING over contract language, voidable years and offsets!!!  Because if any of that is an issue
in 3-4 years it means Darnold is a bust and everyone will be looking for a new job     

Manish’s “scoop” that Darnold is expected to sign for 4 @ 30.25M with a 5th year team option is no different than a “scoop” from April 20th that said the #3 pick in the 2018 NFL draft (whoever that maybe) is expected to sign for 4 @ 30.25 with a 5th year team option. 

THIS IS NOT A SCOOP OR INSIDE INFORMATION. ITS JUST FACT, THE 3rd PICK IN THE DRAFT WAS ALWAYS SLOTTED “EXPECTED” TO SIGN FOR 4 YEARS AT 30.25 WITH A 5th YEAR TEAM OPTION. 

Sorry for the all caps but you’re like the 10th person to post these reports as if it’s some real breaking news. It’s not. These have always been the “expected” numbers for the 3rd pick in the draft and every single 1st round pick since the 2011 CBA gets a 5th year team option.  

Its frustrating that Manish tweets this sh*t like it’s some sort of news and it’s frustrating that other news outlets pick up on this crap and spread it around like it’s some sort of news. 

Again....sorry.  

3 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Manish’s “scoop” that Darnold is expected to sign for 4 @ 30.25M with a 5th year team option is no different than a “scoop” from April 20th that said the #3 pick in the 2018 NFL draft (whoever that maybe) is expected to sign for 4 @ 30.25 with a 5th year team option. 

THIS IS NOT A SCOOP OR INSIDE INFORMATION. ITS JUST FACT, THE 3rd PICK IN THE DRAFT WAS ALWAYS SLOTTED “EXPECTED” TO SIGN FOR 4 YEARS AT 30.25 WITH A 5th YEAR TEAM OPTION. 

Sorry for the all caps but you’re like the 10th person to post these reports as if it’s some real breaking news. It’s not. These have always been the “expected” numbers for the 3rd pick in the draft and every single 1st round pick since the 2011 CBA gets a 5th year team option.  

Its frustrating that Manish tweets this sh*t like it’s some sort of news and it’s frustrating that other news outlets pick up on this crap and spread it around like it’s some sort of news. 

Again....sorry.  

This.  This is exactly what I cat stand about Manish.  

Yep, im not even going to elaborate because you already echoed my opinions perfectly on this.

22 minutes ago, KRL said:

Shameful and stupid job by the Jets with Darnold's contract.  You paid a good price to move up
to #3 and with the slotting system you knew what the value of the contract would be.  STOP
ARGUING over contract language, voidable years and offsets!!!  Because if any of that is an issue
in 3-4 years it means Darnold is a bust and everyone will be looking for a new job     

I don't know that I blindly agree with this, KRL.  We don't know the specifics that are causing the delays.  It is possible that Darnold is asking for something non-standard that the Jets do not want to set a precedent (that is often almost impossible to reverse).  Any agent could take the position that they will hold out for zero offset and voidable language because the teams 'has to sign the player they drafted'.  If that were the case, no team would ever get that language in, and once it's true of all 1st rounders, it starts moving down the chain until 5th round picks have fully guaranteed contracts including no impact if they get suspended for PED violations.  Teams all have to decide where they will draw the line and there is a big difference in how they operate in this matter.  

I agree that Darnold seems like as low a risk as you can get, and it's very possible the Jets are being unreasonably inflexible, but I wouldn't bash the team before I knew what the issues were.  

This situation is equivalent to winning a 2018 Mercedes Benz in a contest with a lifetime
of free gas, insurance and maintenance.  Yet you are going to reject the car because you
don't like the color

6 minutes ago, SayNoToDMC said:

I don't know why Mac would waste time with this. If we're ever in a position where offset language comes into play he'll be working as a barista 

What if the debate is over whether the contract can void if the player gets suspended for a year for a 2nd PED violation.  Sure nobody believes Darnold will be that guy, but looking back at our recent draft history (and many other teams') that's not an unreasonable position.  There's more than just voidable money that could be in play.  We don't know yet...

If the NFL really wants to make signing rookies automatic, they need to try to standardize the other language in the next bargaining session because I notice the money is creeping up anyway and the holdouts are more frequent.  We're not back in Bradford-land yet, but it's not as far as it used to be.

Who knows what is being discussed and what the issues are with the offset language etc.  In my opinion  if it's not something totally unreasonable why risk any sort of friction in the relationship between Sam and the front office, we are all after the same thing.  I know there's the business side of things but this is one player we don't want completely soured by the way our front office does business. 

The truth of the matter is that this isn't a big deal except for the fact that the organization is seemingly oblivious to the bad optics this has and how the media at large will spin this story in some ridiculously slanted way just as an excuse to bash the Jets and make them look bad.  

As others have said, the Jets had MONTHS to work out this contract before training camp started.  Lock all the interested parties in a room and bang it out. It ain't rocket science.

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I don't know that I blindly agree with this, KRL.  We don't know the specifics that are causing the delays.  It is possible that Darnold is asking for something non-standard that the Jets do not want to set a precedent (that is often almost impossible to reverse).  Any agent could take the position that they will hold out for zero offset and voidable language because the teams 'has to sign the player they drafted'.  If that were the case, no team would ever get that language in, and once it's true of all 1st rounders, it starts moving down the chain until 5th round picks have fully guaranteed contracts including no impact if they get suspended for PED violations.  Teams all have to decide where they will draw the line and there is a big difference in how they operate in this matter.  

I agree that Darnold seems like as low a risk as you can get, and it's very possible the Jets are being unreasonably inflexible, but I wouldn't bash the team before I knew what the issues were.  

It's possible that Jimmy Sexton is playing hardball because the Jets managed to land the best QB in the draft with the third pick and, as a result, he wants absolutely everything he can get. Possible. 

Most likely is that the negotiations are completely separate from Sam Darnold. He's getting his $30M+ guaranteed in full. That's happening. The Jets will want some sort of offset language in there simply because they don't want to set a precedent of not having it in there when they next make a pick this high. Sexton, OTOH, wants the most favorable contract language to his client that he can point to when recruiting the top prospects next year. 

Darnold is in NY and wants to get into camp. If there's really a language impass, hopefully, Sam and his family intervene the way Mayfield's allegedly did and just press his agent to agree to offset language they never expect to come into play just to get the deal done. 

9 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

The truth of the matter is that this isn't a big deal except for the fact that the organization is seemingly oblivious to the bad optics this has and how the media at large will spin this story in some ridiculously slanted way just as an excuse to bash the Jets and make them look bad.  

As others have said, the Jets had MONTHS to work out this contract before training camp started.  Lock all the interested parties in a room and bang it out. It ain't rocket science.

Except for the fact that I'm sure the Jets (and Darnold's agent) wanted to see what Baker ended up with in CLE so they can adjust their ask accordingly. Baker only signed a couple of days ago so it hasn't been months, it's only been a day or two. No biggie. 

24 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Everyone seems like a low risk when you initially draft them very high and see such a bright future.....then a guy like Tim Couch becomes a bust or Sam Bradford gets hurt or you shovel huge $$$ at Andrew Luck and he can’t throw a football for over a year.  My simple point is that Macc needs to look out for the club and sinking $30M into a player who isn’t here (or is hurt) after year 1 can severely limit the ability to correct the problem or go out and find a remedy by signing a Kirk Cousins, etc.

Let’s not judge either Macc or Darnold until the details of the deal come out.  If the Jets get hosed by giving every concession away (no offset language, guaranteeing the entire contract, voidable years, paying a huge part of the bonus immediately upfront, etc.) then I’d be disappointed in Macc. This guy has seen $$$ flushed down the toilet with Revis’ out years, with Wilkerson, etc.  All of those deals were applauded at the time.

56 minutes ago, KRL said:

The ONLY advantage I can fathom they were shooting for is that they feel confident that he is not going to bust and they don't want to be too much of a push over because they will have to renegotiate his contract in 3 years after he wins his second superbowl. 

Are Jets going to screw up Sam Darnold, too?

July 26, 2018 | 2:47am

Sam Darnold may or may not be the Jets starting quarterback when they open their 2018 season against the Lions on Sept. 10 in Detroit. But what is certain is his era as the Jets franchise quarterback begins Thursday when the Jets report for training camp in Florham Park. Let’s hope the Jets can reverse recent history and actually get it right this time.

The Jets were fortunate enough to land Darnold with the third overall pick of the draft after the Browns took quarterback Baker Mayfield at No. 1 and the Giants scooped up running back Saquon Barkley. After a terrific collegiate career at Southern Cal, and drawing raves during the draft process, Darnold has created a lot of optimism around the Jets. That optimism lasts until you remember why the Jets needed a quarterback in the first place. It’s been more than a decade since they’ve managed to develop a young quarterback who can bring stability to the position.

The Jets quarterback position has been in flux since Chad Pennington started all 16 games in 2006. It has gotten worse since the drafting of Mark Sanchez in 2009. Sanchez, the fifth overall pick out of Southern Cal, seemed like the answer after leading the Jets to back-to-back AFC Championship games before losing his confidence and his job in 2012. Then it was Geno Smith’s turn and the second-round choice in 2013 was rushed too early. 

Michael Vick and Ryan Fitzpatrick were too old, while draft picks Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty never developed. Josh McCown, a virtual afterthought when training camp began last year, wound up starting 13 games before breaking his hand.

Darnold, who is expected to sign a fully guaranteed four-year $30.25 million contract, would seem to be a can’t-miss prospect, but if anyone knows there are no guarantees, it’s the Jets. And if there’s a dark cloud hovering over his early growth it’s that he’s playing for a defensive head coach in Todd Bowles and a new offensive coordinator in Jeremy Bates. Ideally, you might like coaches with more offensive experience tutoring a 21-year-old franchise quarterback.

As far as the other drafted quarterbacks: Mayfield has offensive minded Hue Jackson as his head coach in Cleveland. Josh Allen, the seventh-overall choice, has a defensive head coach in Sean McDermott in Buffalo, but Brian Daboll has been the offensive coordinator at Cleveland, Miami and Kansas City before joining the Bills.

Former defensive coordinator Steve Wilks is the new head coach at Arizona, where Josh Rosen was made the 10th choice overall, but Rosen will be tutored by Mike McCoy, a veteran offensive assistant who served as either quarterbacks coach or offensive coordinator for the Panthers and Broncos.

Bates, 41, served one season as the Seahawks offensive coordinator in 2010 and has been an offensive assistant of some sort since 2004. He was the Jets quarterback coach last year and replaces John Morton, who was fired after one season. He is the sixth offensive coordinator in the last eight seasons for the Jets and the third in four years under Bowles. It’s hard to develop quarterbacks and establish stability at the position when there has been none in the offensive coaching staff. 

Rex Ryan never got a handle on the quarterback situation once Sanchez started going downhill and Bowles has been employing temporary solutions like Fitzpatrick and McCown. Hackenberg and Petty never got close to proving they were worthy of being drafted. Maybe they had talent. The coaching they received obviously didn’t help.

Bowles and Bates have to do better this time. The Jets have McCown back and Teddy Bridgewater looking for playing time at quarterback. They deserve a chance to put something on tape, especially if there’s no need to rush Darnold.

But Darnold’s development into a franchise quarterback starts this week. Let’s hope the Jets can get it right this time.

How does everybody know it is offset language and not the 5th year option(that the Jets must have) that is holding things up? If I remember correctly Sexton used to be very entangled with the Jets. I think his clients included Parcels, Rex and Tanny at one point. Maybe he is used to getting whatever he wanted out of them in the past and is being difficult because he is not getting it now.

2 minutes ago, 20andOut said:

How does everybody know it is offset language and not the 5th year option(that the Jets must have) that is holding things up? If I remember correctly Sexton used to be very entangled with the Jets. I think his clients included Parcels, Rex and Tanny at one point. Maybe he is used to getting whatever he wanted out of them in the past and is being difficult because he is not getting it now.

The 5th year option doesn’t come into play for 3 more years.  

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Are Jets going to screw up Sam Darnold, too?

July 26, 2018 | 2:47am

Sam Darnold may or may not be the Jets starting quarterback when they open their 2018 season against the Lions on Sept. 10 in Detroit. But what is certain is his era as the Jets franchise quarterback begins Thursday when the Jets report for training camp in Florham Park. Let’s hope the Jets can reverse recent history and actually get it right this time.

The Jets were fortunate enough to land Darnold with the third overall pick of the draft after the Browns took quarterback Baker Mayfield at No. 1 and the Giants scooped up running back Saquon Barkley. After a terrific collegiate career at Southern Cal, and drawing raves during the draft process, Darnold has created a lot of optimism around the Jets. That optimism lasts until you remember why the Jets needed a quarterback in the first place. It’s been more than a decade since they’ve managed to develop a young quarterback who can bring stability to the position.

The Jets quarterback position has been in flux since Chad Pennington started all 16 games in 2006. It has gotten worse since the drafting of Mark Sanchez in 2009. Sanchez, the fifth overall pick out of Southern Cal, seemed like the answer after leading the Jets to back-to-back AFC Championship games before losing his confidence and his job in 2012. Then it was Geno Smith’s turn and the second-round choice in 2013 was rushed too early. imageproxy.php?img=&key=39cf8ad10baac159

Michael Vick and Ryan Fitzpatrick were too old, while draft picks Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty never developed. Josh McCown, a virtual afterthought when training camp began last year, wound up starting 13 games before breaking his hand.

Darnold, who is expected to sign a fully guaranteed four-year $30.25 million contract, would seem to be a can’t-miss prospect, but if anyone knows there are no guarantees, it’s the Jets. And if there’s a dark cloud hovering over his early growth it’s that he’s playing for a defensive head coach in Todd Bowles and a new offensive coordinator in Jeremy Bates. Ideally, you might like coaches with more offensive experience tutoring a 21-year-old franchise quarterback.

As far as the other drafted quarterbacks: Mayfield has offensive minded Hue Jackson as his head coach in Cleveland. Josh Allen, the seventh-overall choice, has a defensive head coach in Sean McDermott in Buffalo, but Brian Daboll has been the offensive coordinator at Cleveland, Miami and Kansas City before joining the Bills.

Former defensive coordinator Steve Wilks is the new head coach at Arizona, where Josh Rosen was made the 10th choice overall, but Rosen will be tutored by Mike McCoy, a veteran offensive assistant who served as either quarterbacks coach or offensive coordinator for the Panthers and Broncos.

Bates, 41, served one season as the Seahawks offensive coordinator in 2010 and has been an offensive assistant of some sort since 2004. He was the Jets quarterback coach last year and replaces John Morton, who was fired after one season. He is the sixth offensive coordinator in the last eight seasons for the Jets and the third in four years under Bowles. It’s hard to develop quarterbacks and establish stability at the position when there has been none in the offensive coaching staff. imageproxy.php?img=&key=39cf8ad10baac159

Rex Ryan never got a handle on the quarterback situation once Sanchez started going downhill and Bowles has been employing temporary solutions like Fitzpatrick and McCown. Hackenberg and Petty never got close to proving they were worthy of being drafted. Maybe they had talent. The coaching they received obviously didn’t help.

Bowles and Bates have to do better this time. The Jets have McCown back and Teddy Bridgewater looking for playing time at quarterback. They deserve a chance to put something on tape, especially if there’s no need to rush Darnold.

But Darnold’s development into a franchise quarterback starts this week. Let’s hope the Jets can get it right this time.

This is the dumbest ******* thing I’ve ever read in my life.

I've posted this a few times. Seems I should place this here. via July 23rd MMQB. I'd also add what sect101 said regarding the bonus payout (how much now and how much at a later date:

A little bit of house-cleaning here: Only three of the top nine picks from April’s draft have signed their rookie deals, and that’s counting Giants RB Saquon Barkley, who got his deal done on Sunday. That puts this class behind others that signed quickly under the 2011 CBA rules, which give little wiggle room when it comes to negotiation on rookie deals. So what’s the holdout? Offset language (which only comes into play if a player is cut in his first four years) is one battleground, as it has been for a while with top picks. Another this year, I’ve been told, is language that voids guarantees in contracts—like a suspension or arrest might. I understand if this seems silly to fans, but there are larger motivations at work: Agents want to win in these situations because it helps them to recruit, and teams wants to win to establish precedent.

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Bates, 41, served one season as the Seahawks offensive coordinator in 2010 and has been an offensive assistant of some sort since 2004. He was the Jets quarterback coach last year and replaces John Morton, who was fired after one season. He is the sixth offensive coordinator in the last eight seasons for the Jets and the third in four years under Bowles. It’s hard to develop quarterbacks and establish stability at the position when there has been none in the offensive coaching staff. imageproxy.php?img=&key=39cf8ad10baac159

this part is hilarious.....

Mayfield has an offensive minded coach that has won 1 game in 32 tries....i.e. the model of consistency. 

Rosen's OC staff is BRAND NEW on the job having been hired only this year, i.e. no stability yet.

Allen's offensive head coach and OC have only been together 1 year as a staff, so there is no long standing continuity there

BUT.... Darnold's OC and staff are a train wreck despite the fact that most of the offensive staff was here last year and have just as much continuity as buffalo does. NONE of these teams have more than 2 years on their current team with their current staff, why are they always trying to make it look like we are that shyt on the side of the toilet bowl that refuses to flush???

5 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I've posted this a few times. Seems I should place this here. via July 23rd MMQB. I'd also add what sect101 said regarding the bonus payout (how much now and how much at a later date:

A little bit of house-cleaning here: Only three of the top nine picks from April’s draft have signed their rookie deals, and that’s counting Giants RB Saquon Barkley, who got his deal done on Sunday. That puts this class behind others that signed quickly under the 2011 CBA rules, which give little wiggle room when it comes to negotiation on rookie deals. So what’s the holdout? Offset language (which only comes into play if a player is cut in his first four years) is one battleground, as it has been for a while with top picks. Another this year, I’ve been told, is language that voids guarantees in contracts—like a suspension or arrest might. I understand if this seems silly to fans, but there are larger motivations at work: Agents want to win in these situations because it helps them to recruit, and teams wants to win to establish precedent.

If it is about the Agent attracting other clients, maybe it's time for Darnold to call his agent and say I want it done today or I'll be looking for another agent.  My getting into camp today is more important to me than who you sign on as clients next year.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

If it is about the Agent attracting other clients, maybe it's time for Darnold to call his agent and say I want it done today or I'll be looking for another agent.  My getting into camp today is more important to me than who you sign on as clients next year.

It'll get done by first practice. If not, both sides are at fault.  

I really don't get 'jets screwing this up', 'why did we trade up if we weren't going to pay him', etc. It won't be time to worry until it is time to worry. I realize that there isn't much else to worry about, but this is silly.

1. We don't even know what the hold up is, if there is one. For all we know, his agent is swamped with getting his other clients signed, or they are waiting for some review/approval.

2. The Jets knew how much the contract would be when they traded up to #3, so it isn't the money or bonus. The real sticking points can be 5th year option and no team ever backs off of that one, and offset language - and Sam is going to get his money either way, and the team wants to make sure if he doesn't work out, he can't double dip - teams don't walk away from this one either. The point is, that someone the agent manages just signed a typical deal, so I can't believe the Jets or the agent are balking about much - either way, we don't know so let's not lay blame.

3. Everyone wants this deal to happen. The Jets bet the future on Sam; Sam wants his money and a chance to start, and the agent wants to be paid. So, it will happen.

4. For those who think that the Jets should just cave so that Sam gets an extra non-practice day, or a few days in TC, this is business. And although we can't wait to see the kid practice, you don't risk your business on something like this. If you think the Jets should just roll over, then hopefully you don't negotiate for a living and bring someone with you when it is time to buy a car or house. Also, most of the ones begging Mac to just take whatever deal, are the same ones who will be first to dump on Mac when a deal goes south.

5. Until next week comes or we start hearing management speak about both sides working to come to a quick solution, I wouldn't worry too much.

1 hour ago, 20andOut said:

all of the top picks have a 5th year option.  I don't think that it is negotiable under the CBA, IIRC

Archived