Sam expected to sign 4 @ 30.25M with team option for 5th

ASH1962

8 hours ago, KRL said:

Shameful and stupid job by the Jets with Darnold's contract.  You paid a good price to move up
to #3 and with the slotting system you knew what the value of the contract would be.  STOP
ARGUING over contract language, voidable years and offsets!!!  Because if any of that is an issue
in 3-4 years it means Darnold is a bust and everyone will be looking for a new job     

what makes you think this was all the jets doing?  it takes two to tango and the agents are their to make sure they and their clients get the best deal.  the deal is done and on time.  nothing else really matters at this point.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Larz said:

I had a bad thought 

What if his agent is making the case that he should have gone first? 

I know a lot of this stuff is slotted but I really can't even think of what the hold up could be 

He can't.  The slotting is pretty set in terms of money.  As far as I know, this can only be about offsets, voids and maybe how many tickets he gets for his family at home and away games.  To think these guys used to have to work in the offseason to make ends meet...

33 minutes ago, nycdan said:

He can't.  The slotting is pretty set in terms of money.  As far as I know, this can only be about offsets, voids and maybe how many tickets he gets for his family at home and away games.  To think these guys used to have to work in the offseason to make ends meet...

So it's basically how much of his bonus he gets and when...... 

That's just so disappointing 

FWIW

Mike Rodak (@mikerodak)

7/26/18, 8:29 PM

Bills rookie QB Josh Allen received a hug after practice from owner and team president Kim Pegula. Allen, who signed his rookie deal Wednesday, said he "made it known" to his agents that he did not want to miss practice time. espn.com/espn/now?nowId… pic.twitter.com/ZEnbKgjGqy

14 minutes ago, C Mart said:

FWIW

Mike Rodak (@mikerodak)

7/26/18, 8:29 PM

Bills rookie QB Josh Allen received a hug after practice from owner and team president Kim Pegula. Allen, who signed his rookie deal Wednesday, said he "made it known" to his agents that he did not want to miss practice time. espn.com/espn/now?nowId… pic.twitter.com/ZEnbKgjGqy

Josh Allen is the product of an NSF-funded experiment to see if it’s possible to make a quarterback who’s irresistable to stupid people.

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Everyone seems like a low risk when you initially draft them very high and see such a bright future.....then a guy like Tim Couch becomes a bust or Sam Bradford gets hurt or you shovel huge $$$ at Andrew Luck and he can’t throw a football for over a year.  My simple point is that Macc needs to look out for the club and sinking $30M into a player who isn’t here (or is hurt) after year 1 can severely limit the ability to correct the problem or go out and find a remedy by signing a Kirk Cousins, etc.

Let’s not judge either Macc or Darnold until the details of the deal come out.  If the Jets get hosed by giving every concession away (no offset language, guaranteeing the entire contract, voidable years, paying a huge part of the bonus immediately upfront, etc.) then I’d be disappointed in Macc. This guy has seen $$$ flushed down the toilet with Revis’ out years, with Wilkerson, etc.  All of those deals were applauded at the time.

Good points above. However, I don’t think everyone was applauding the Revis deal except Revis. I know I didn’t want that fat lazy prick here for that kind of dough. I don’t think Macc did either. That was kind of a Woody thing. 

8 hours ago, shevys said:

Good points above. However, I don’t think everyone was applauding the Revis deal except Revis. I know I didn’t want that fat lazy prick here for that kind of dough. I don’t think Macc did either. That was kind of a Woody thing. 

Exactly, it's like Jet fans just want the Jets to bend over & take whatever Darnolds agent is slamming up their azzes. It will all work out, and I'll tell you this, Darnold is the type of kid that wants to be in camp with his new teammates, he's the antithesis of Revis. This whole scene is agent driven, these guys have to show off for the next group of kids coming out next year. "Hey, look at me, I fight for you, every last penny". While I want the kid to be our starter, this isn't a Sanchez situation where, Josh McCown & Teddy Bridgewater are legit QBs in this league. Much better than a washed up Mark Brunnel. 

The way this is playing out is also leaving me to believe that a lot of you are right & Bowles has no plans of starting Sam. We'll see.

21 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Exactly, it's like Jet fans just want the Jets to bend over & take whatever Darnolds agent is slamming up their azzes. It will all work out, and I'll tell you this, Darnold is the type of kid that wants to be in camp with his new teammates, he's the antithesis of Revis. This whole scene is agent driven, these guys have to show off for the next group of kids coming out next year. "Hey, look at me, I fight for you, every last penny". While I want the kid to be our starter, this isn't a Sanchez situation where, Josh McCown & Teddy Bridgewater are legit QBs in this league. Much better than a washed up Mark Brunnel. 

The way this is playing out is also leaving me to believe that a lot of you are right & Bowles has no plans of starting Sam. We'll see.

If the Jets aren't right in the playoff hunt, and they are not playing Darnold. I expect Chris Johnson to pull rank and full on to tell Bowles, "Sam's starting!"

16 hours ago, Larz said:

I had a bad thought 

I know a lot of this stuff is slotted but I really can't even think of what the hold up could be 

I try to stay positive, but at this point it's  unacceptable.  Interesting point about his agent making the point that he should've gone first. I would love to know the details behind everything I'm hoping he signs today. 

This might indeed be an agent driven problem but to be fair to the agent, if Darnold made it absolutely clear that he didn't want to miss a day of camp, that's exactly what would have happened.  This notion that his agent went rogue and is making decisions and negotiating without Sam's blessing is silly.  They are BOTH to blame, but the lion's share of blame goes to the Jets IMO.  Whatever the contract issues are, they can't possibly be worth the terrible optics that are being created where half the fan base is now comparing their golden rookie to the greediest player (Revis) ever to wear a Jets uniform.  Bad, bad job by the Jets here. 

This tweet goes to show how completely irrelevant Mehta is.  He has precisely the same amount of knowledge of the Jets as I do.  Maybe even less.  Looks at the slotting and reports it as news, like it's about to happen.  Absolutely pathetic.  How many years covering the Jets and he hasn't developed a single source in the building.

I don't get the Jets should cave, optics, etc. comments. The team holds all the true power. What is Sam going to do, hold out and get redrafted over double-dipping that won't happen?

As fans, we want what we want; and, we want Darnold signed. But, the Jets management is supposed to stand their ground. should they just cave even though the #1 pick signed with the same offsets? What is the upside for team Sam? The only reason this is happening (if that is the problem) is because they are counting on fans/optics to make the team cave.

People talk about a screwed up team. SOJ. But, if the team caves when they hold all of the cards, the next draftee is going to push more. and then more. In 5 years, these SOJF will be complaining that this team sucks because they always cave to the players.

When the season starts, nobody is going to care about Sam missing a few days. What is really annoying is that we don't have any information (which is a good thing from the organization as opposed to old circus days). It is frustrating, but it will happen soon enough.

17 hours ago, Larz said:

I had a bad thought 

I'm sure he is! 

Not much that can be done total money-wise, but I imagine he's looking for a $20M+ check at signing and no offset language. 

Just now, slats said:

I'm sure he is! 

Not much that can be done total money-wise, but I imagine he's looking for a $20M+ check at signing and no offset language. 

but he didn't, he's slotted 3rd and that's that.  i'm sure darnold knows he needs to be in camp to win the job and since the jets have 2 qbs with starting experience maybe they figure if darnold misses even one practice he'll cave.  

54 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

greediest player

You guys need to stop bashing the players who think like the owners, and squeeze every dime possible from those piece of sh*ts, the owners made this a business first, some of the players finally caught up, but their greedy, GTFO.

You guys need to stop bashing the players who think like the owners, and squeeze every dime possible from those piece of sh*ts, the owners made this a business first, some of the players finally caught up, but their greedy, GTFO.

There’s nothing wrong with being a tough and shrewd negotiator when it comes to your contract, but once you sign a contract, especially one that guarantees you tens of millions of dollars, you need to honor that contract, not hold out every year or two to renegotiate. Sorry, to me, that’s greed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

There’s nothing wrong with being a tough and shrewd negotiator when it comes to your contract, but once you sign a contract, especially one that guarantees you tens of millions of dollars, you need to honor that contract, not hold out every year or two to renegotiate. Sorry, to me, that’s greed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the owners don’t have to honor it, but the players do?  Garbage.

1 minute ago, ChuckkieB said:

Specifically regarding Revis, how did the owners not honor his contract? 

The Jets lied to Revis about renegotiating his deal, and then went back on their word.  Then the deal they did was a panic patch work deal that both sides acknowledged was something that had to be addressed after year 2, and that’s on the Jets, and Tanny.  Also non Revis specific the owners back out on deals all the time so why shouldn’t the players who have statistical proof they are under paid be able to renegotiate when they choose just like the owners can cut you when your statistically not worth the money they agreed to pay for your services?

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

The Jets lied to Revis about renegotiating his deal, and then went back on their word.  Then the deal they did was a panic patch work deal that both sides acknowledged was something that had to be addressed after year 2, and that’s on the Jets, and Tanny.  Also non Revis specific the owners back out on deals all the time so why shouldn’t the players who have statistical proof they are under paid be able to renegotiate when they choose just like the owners can cut you when your statistically not worth the money they agreed to pay for your services?

If the players are so concerned of being underpaid during the duration of a contract, why don't they all just insist on getting one year contracts?  I'll answer that - they won't do it because in the event they UNDERPERFORM, they won't have to take a hit financially.  Negotiating a great deal long term for yourself and then holding out two years into the deal is simply the player wanting his cake and eating it too.  That's greed.  

If the players are so concerned of being underpaid during the duration of a contract, why don't they all just insist on getting one year contracts?  I'll answer that - they won't do it because in the event they UNDERPERFORM, they won't have to take a hit financially.  Negotiating a great deal long term for yourself and then holding out two years into the deal is simply the player wanting his cake and eating it too.  That's greed.  

Underperforming players get cut. Players want long-term deals to protect themselves against injury. 

Negotiating a great deal long term for yourself and then holding out two years into the deal is simply the player wanting his cake and eating it too.  That's greed.  

So wrong the deal was a 2 year negotiation with fake garbage years on the back end that was known by both parties openly making it a 2 year patch work contract, Revis got paid for those 2 years, and then rightly so wanted to be paid again his worth, not greed, NFL business, it’s greed when a player does it, but business when a team does it, that’s such bad thinking, it’s business both ways, it’s the owners who have had its cake, and been eating it too forever, but when a player like Revis came along, and wanted a slice of that cake he rightfully earned how dare that greedy player want his smh.

On 7/26/2018 at 8:38 AM, KRL said:

Shameful and stupid job by the Jets with Darnold's contract.  You paid a good price to move up
to #3 and with the slotting system you knew what the value of the contract would be.  STOP
ARGUING over contract language, voidable years and offsets!!!  Because if any of that is an issue
in 3-4 years it means Darnold is a bust and everyone will be looking for a new job     

They need to get him in camp PRONTO. 

4 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

yeah those horribly owners who make it all possible, what garbage...jesussss...man we everyone should just play for free right>?? I mean right? c'mon guy...rigght???

7 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

there is a salary cap so the greedy owners know exactly how much they are paying out.   not sure why this is hard to comprehend?

Honestly, and I'm probably being reactionary right now because I'm pretty pissed, my perception of Sam has soured a decent amount over the course of this week.  When he does, inevitably, show up?  He better be ready to f*cking go because he's not exactly coming off like a guy who only cares about playing football right now.  I've read everything regarding this nonsense ad nauseum.  The only blame the Jets get here from me is waiting this long to work this out.  Every little thing beyond that falls on Sexton and Darnold.

Archived