Jets fire senior director of team operations.

joewilly12

Jets fire behind-the-scenes lifer in mysterious move

July 26, 2018 | 6:03pm

Modal Trigger
Clay Hampton, in 1999Bob Olen

Training camp will have a different feel for those inside the Jets organization this year. For the first time in 55 years, a member of the Hampton family won’t be a part of it.

The Jets surprisingly fired senior director of team operations Clay Hampton last month. Hampton had worked for the team for 30 years and had been in charge of operations since 2006. His father, Bill, was the team’s equipment manager from 1964 through 2000.

The move came as a surprise to people inside the Jets because Hampton was well respected and liked throughout the team’s Florham Park headquarters. It is unclear what prompted the firing, which came June 15, after the team completed minicamp.

Hampton, 50, did not return messages seeking comment. The Jets had no comment.

Hampton was not known to many fans but had one of those behind-the-scenes jobs integral to running a football team. One of his primary responsibilities was organizing the team’s road trips. He also oversaw the day-to-day operations around the team’s practice facility.

“To me, he was the Jets,” former coach Rex Ryan said Thursday. “His family, to me, these are people that are the Jets. They’ve been there the whole time. It’s really weird that he’s not going to be with the Jets anymore. It’s really strange. Sometimes, I guess, people want to move on from the past. I don’t know if that’s why they got rid of him.”

Ryan said he never had any problems with Hampton during his time with the Jets from 2009-14.

“He was awesome,” Ryan said. “The six years I was there, he was better than great. Everything was done at such a first-class level. Not one time ever did we have an issue with any of the places we stayed, the airlines. It was awesome. To me, he was an amazing guy and someone I was really proud that I had the opportunity to work with him.”

Hampton initially worked as a ballboy with the Jets in 1983 before working under his father in the equipment room. He succeeded his father as equipment manager in 2001 before moving to operations.

Image result for clay hampton ny jets

Let’s be real: anyone who’s had a job with the Jets for more than a year should be fired for cause. The Jets are low-rent from top to bottom and are desperately in need of new blood and new ideas. You hate to see people lose their jobs, but this organization has been bad on and off the field for too long. Hopefully this is a sign that Chris Johnson is looking to upgrade everyone on the payroll.

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Let’s be real: anyone who’s had a job with the Jets for more than a year should be fired for cause. The Jets are low-rent from top to bottom and are desperately in need of new blood and new ideas. You hate to see people lose their jobs, but this organization has been bad on and off the field for too long. Hopefully this is a sign that Chris Johnson is looking to upgrade everyone on the payroll.

But yet they extended Macc and Bowles who have a direct impact in wins and losses?  Come on T0mShane you're way better than this.

6 years ago........ So weird........ 

The Jaguars fired long-time equipment manager Drew Hampton before the team's first week of organized team activities. The reason was unclear and the Jaguars declined to comment on the decision.

Hampton had been the Jaguars equipment manager since 1998, when Tom Coughlin was the Jaguars' coach. He was the assistant equipment manager in 1997. In 2004, his peers elected him the NFL's equipment manager of the year.

Related: Equipment managers' Hampton Cup holds more than bragging rights

Since he was 13, Hampton has worked in equipment managing, first helping his father Bill Hampton, who was the equipment manager for the New York Jets for 39 years before retiring in 2001.

25 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

But yet they extended Macc and Bowles who have a direct impact in wins and losses?  Come on T0mShane you're way better than this.

Joe, in an organization that employs many people, it’s possible that more than one of those employees is bad at their job.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Joe, in an organization that employs many people, it’s possible that more than one of those employees is bad at their job.

Agree and understand but this is the NY Jets and it will come out why he was fired and its probably something stupid. 

26 minutes ago, Larz said:

The Jaguars fired long-time equipment manager Drew Hampton before the team's first week of organized team activities. The reason was unclear and the Jaguars declined to comment on the decision.

Hampton had been the Jaguars equipment manager since 1998, when Tom Coughlin was the Jaguars' coach. He was the assistant equipment manager in 1997. In 2004, his peers elected him the NFL's equipment manager of the year.

Since he was 13, Hampton has worked in equipment managing, first helping his father Bill Hampton, who was the equipment manager for the New York Jets for 39 years before retiring in 2001.

Dudes a jock sniffer? 

Only time you hear about any equipment guy is when they sell some stuff that was not to leave the premises. Don't understand why anyone values a sweaty uniform, but there are imbeciles that for reasons known only to themselves will pay good money for such things. Not saying that happened here, merely the temptation to grab some side cash with that kind of scam has to be there and some guys give in to it. 

40 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1. Woody

1A.Chris

2.Mike MacCagnan

3.Todd Bowles

4. Kacy Rodgers

Get rid of these ####s and we can have a great team.  Not a one of these people deserve to be a part of the NFL based on their track record of ineptitude.

Just now, Fantasy Island said:

1. Woody

1A.Chris

2.Mike MacCagnan

3.Todd Bowles

4. Kacy Rodgers

Get rid of these ####s and we can have a great team.  Not a one of these people deserve to be a part of the NFL based on their track record of ineptitude.

LOL the Jets fire the bottom feeders and retain those directly responsible for failure.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Weird

1 hour ago, Larz said:

This is exactly what happens when you suck at hiring and doesn’t do proper research. 

“So why did you leave the Jags?”

”Eerm uuuh...because I want to be on a winning team.”

Modal Triggerclay_hampton.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=
Clay Hampton, in 1999

Training camp will have a different feel for those inside the Jets organization this year. For the first time in 55 years, a member of the Hampton family won’t be a part of it.

The Jets surprisingly fired senior director of team operations Clay Hampton last month. Hampton had worked for the team for 30 years and had been in charge of operations since 2006. His father, Bill, was the team’s equipment manager from 1964 through 2000.

The move came as a surprise to people inside the Jets because Hampton was well respected and liked throughout the team’s Florham Park headquarters. It is unclear what prompted the firing, which came June 15, after the team completed minicamp.

Hampton, 50, did not return messages seeking comment. The Jets had no comment.

Hampton was not known to many fans but had one of those behind-the-scenes jobs integral to running a football team. One of his primary responsibilities was organizing the team’s road trips. He also oversaw the day-to-day operations around the team’s practice facility.

“To me, he was the Jets,” former coach Rex Ryan said Thursday. “His family, to me, these are people that are the Jets. They’ve been there the whole time. It’s really weird that he’s not going to be with the Jets anymore. It’s really strange. Sometimes, I guess, people want to move on from the past. I don’t know if that’s why they got rid of him.”

Ryan said he never had any problems with Hampton during his time with the Jets from 2009-14.

“He was awesome,” Ryan said. “The six years I was there, he was better than great. Everything was done at such a first-class level. Not one time ever did we have an issue with any of the places we stayed, the airlines. It was awesome. To me, he was an amazing guy and someone I was really proud that I had the opportunity to work with him.”

Hampton initially worked as a ballboy with the Jets in 1983 before working under his father in the equipment room. He succeeded his father as equipment manager in 2001 before moving to operations.

13 hours ago, dbatesman said:

My first thought too, especially because both sides are no-commenting.

More often than not, in these types of situations, the employee is selling game merchandise unbeknownst to the team, and without the team's consent.

Hate to speculate, but that is often how these types of positions poison themselves.

14 hours ago, Larz said:

smells like what happened ot Mets guy. Had all Jerseys, snagged game worn Jerseys and gear etc. Then they found out he was selling on side to Sports Memorbelia guys... Who knows, maybe it  was a family side business?

Archived