Now I’m genuinely aggravated!

Lupz27

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

If this goes beyond this morning then Darnold agent is the one to blame here.  If he’s holding out for some useless offsets that will never come into play then negotiating Darnold extension is going to a royal pain in the a$$.   

That's not necessarily true.  I have no doubt that Sexton would have tried to do the same with Josh Allen, but I read that Josh Allen told Sexton to get it done before camp no matter what and he did...  he did not haggle for long (if at all) over "offset" language or cash flow.  Allen told him he wanted to be in camp from the first moment and Sexton complied.  

What makes you think that this is the agent's fault?  If Darnold told him the same thing as Allen, then Darnold would be in uniform today.  Darnold evidently told Sexton that he supports Sexton demanding these things.  Allen on the other hand took the opposite direction.

Sorry... pin this on Darnold.  Why should the Jets be the only team near the top of the draft to have a hold out over something as weird as "offset" language.  This has to be Darnold, otherwise it would have happened with Josh Allen as well.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

If this goes beyond this morning then Darnold agent is the one to blame here.  If he’s holding out for some useless offsets that will never come into play then negotiating Darnold extension is going to a royal pain in the a$$.   

then why didn't he do that for Josh Allen too?  Because Allen told him to knock off this sh*t and get him in camp on time. Sexton acquiesced.  Apparently, Darnold is taking the opposite stance and encouraging his agent to fight for this.  THis is on Darnold, not the agent.  Bills had no problem with the agent, did they?

1 hour ago, freestater said:

I look at it this way; the jackasses on the Jets insisting on the offset language will be long since fired if it ever comes up. Your job is to put players on the field. Pit the player on the field.

so the Jets should be the only team in the top 10 of the draft to cave in on "offset" crap?  Sorry, but I don't agree here. Put this on Darnold, not the Jets.  Darnold should just tell his agent to do what Mayfield, Allen and even Rosen did.  He somehow feels he has to this differently from the other 1st round QBs?  Why?  ANd Sexton represented Allen and Allen is in camp on time.

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

In my opinion the offset language is a big deal for the Jets and they want what the Browns got with Baker Mayfield in that if Darnold ends up signing later elsewhere they get some guaranteed monies back (offset). 

This is a copycat league and everyone saw how inept the Browns were in their last series of QB contracts and no one wants to repeat their folly. 

not only did Mayfield cave in on "offset", so did Allen.  And Allen has the same agent.  This tells me that it is Darnold himself who is being the dick here.  Color me disappointed in the kid.

6 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Yes & no. I feel like agents lead their clients & tell them they absolutely should do this because it benefits you for xyz reason. 20 year old guys probably don't any better either & just take their agents advice on all things. 

Yep

Yes,  the player is in charge, but this is a kid that just turned 21 and is getting prepared for his first NFL season.  This is a much different situation then Revis being in the middle of a contract he signed then deciding he wants more money.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Think Sexton is Darnold's agent.  Always a pain in the rear.  Until I hear further that's who I'm blaming this on. 

You may be wrong.  Sexton got Allen in camp without haggling over this issue.  Why?  Because Allen told him to.  Apparently Darnold is telling him to fight to the death for every nuance.

6 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Yes & no. I feel like agents lead their clients & tell them they absolutely should do this because it benefits you for xyz reason. 20 year old guys probably don't any better either & just take their agents advice on all things. 

I think he should have enough agency in his career to dictate to the agent that missing camp is unacceptable. I don't care how young he is, he has to know this makes him look bad and severely hurts his chances of starting Week 1.

Just now, Dcat said:

You may be wrong.  Sexton got Allen in camp without haggling over this issue.  Why?  Because Allen told him to.  Apparently Darnold is telling him to fight to the death for every nuance.

More then likely Darnold has just turned the lawyer stuff over to his lawyer while he concentrates on playing football.

Yes, he can say "I'll sign anything" but if he's smart he'll let the guy he hired do his job.  

12 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

But Mayfield and Allen did not do so. In fact, Allen told the verysame agent to ditch this crap and get him in camp.  But not Darnold.  This is 100% on Darnold, not the Jets and not Sexton.

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

But Mayfield and Allen did not do so. In fact, Allen told the verysame agent to ditch this crap and get him in camp.  But not Darnold.  This is 100% on Darnold, not the Jets and not Sexton.

Not sure why he needed to hire an agent if hes going to take the I'll take whatever they offer approach.  If his agent is telling him not to sign the deal why should a player say no, I know better?  

Both Allen, and Mayfield are much more likely to bust early so the teams need that off set language, I think Darnold, and his camp are basically playing the listen we know he is the safest QB prospect in this draft to be with the team the whole 4 years, and so do you, and I guarantee Sexton wants at least one victory this year with his clients, and as long as Darnold himself doesn’t say knock it off Sexton will hold firm IMO.  This could turn into a Bosa situation if Darnold doesn’t step in.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Macc gonna Macc being Macc.

In an era literally designed to save teams from rookie draft pick holdouts and drama....whelp, here we are.

I really don't think this is Mac.  Look, Mayfield and Allen didn't bicker over this.  And Allen had the same agent.  This is all Darnold, IMO.

23 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think it's really short sighted of him to potentially miss any of camp for whatever tiny issues are holding this up. And don't blame the agent. The agent works for Darnold and will do whatever Darnold tells him.

I respectfully disagree. The kid just turned 21 and his agent is pissing in his ear, “just let me handle it Sam, I’ve been doing this for a long time”.

2 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

I respectfully disagree. The kid just turned 21 and his agent is pissing in his ear, “just let me handle it Sam, I’ve been doing this for a long time”.

Apparently Josh Allen didn't buy in to that ear "piss", did he?  Darnold is being a dick on this.

14 minutes ago, Dcat said:

How do we know? Unless I missed something, the teams could've just agreed to the agents terms without much of a fight. 

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:
5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I really don't think this is Mac.

Of course it’s not Mac he doesn’t do contracts, he has no say on what’s going down between Sexton, and the Lawyer Lady who handles these negotiations, and she has strict orders from above I’m sure on what can, and can’t be accepted without owner approval.

Are we really turning on Darnold before the first training camp practice? Ugh. 

We don't actually know what the hold up is. Could be offset language, could be giving bonus money back or having the bonus paid over time instead of at the time of signing. Darnold seems like a kid who really, really wants to be in camp. Hopefully, they come to some sort of compromise that gets it done (Darnold agrees to offset language in exchange for getting his entire signing bonus -to keep!- today).  

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Are we really turning on Darnold before the first training camp practice? Ugh. 

We don't actually know what the hold up is. Could be offset language, could be giving bonus money back or having the bonus paid over time instead of at the time of signing. Darnold seems like a kid who really, really wants to be in camp. Hopefully, they come to some sort of compromise that gets it done (Darnold agrees to offset language in exchange for getting his entire signing bonus -to keep!- today).  

I’m not turning on Darnold at all, just sucks the Jets, and his agents allowed this to get to this point, and I’m aggravated at the situation because today he starts missing important practice reps, and every day he misses those the chances of him starting early diminish each day.

Honestly this is on $am......this kid is supposed to be mature, all about football and super confident. In that case...

1. The offset language shouldnt matter that much to him as he believes he will outplay the contract anyway.

2. When the bonus money is paid shouldnt matter since it is all gaurenteed

3. $AM IS the boss, and if you are trying to tell me that Allen and Mayfield have more balls than he does and told the agent to stop the dikking around so you can look good and get me in camp but our boy couldnt then that says a lot. 

This isnt turning on the kid, this is prioritizing and like it or not he is a grown man now trying to be a professional football player. Cut the shyt, call the agent and tell him you are in a cab on the way to the stadium and there better be a god damn contract waiting for him to sign when he gets there. 

If the kid fires the agent and then settles the b.s. himself then that would truly make this day glorious. 

15 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Then why is Josh Allen, who has the same agent, in camp throwing passes right now?

Because his value is not as high as Darnold. Just my best guess as everyone elses.

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I’m not turning on Darnold at all, just sucks the Jets, and his agents allowed this to get to this point, and I’m aggravated at the situation because today he starts missing important practice reps, and every day he misses those the chances of him starting early diminish each day.

Wasn't directed towards you. 

18 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Apparently Josh Allen didn't buy in to that ear "piss", did he?  Darnold is being a dick on this.

Could be but I would be more likely inclined to it being the agent. The more money Darnold gets, the more money the agent gets. 30 mil to a 21 yr old kid will do more than buy him a car and pay his cell phone bill

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

This is what sexton is hoping for. 

Chill peeps 

I think Sexton was hoping that this little mini hold out would put more pressure on the jets but since the other qb's are already in camp and got the offset language I think he lost whatever leverage he thought he had. I think most fans are pointing the finger at either him or Sammy...........either way, this tactic isnt working and the kid is probably getting pissed that he is looking like the bad guy. I give it til high noon.

4 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

I think Sexton was hoping that this little mini hold out would put more pressure on the jets but since the other qb's are already in camp and got the offset language I think he lost whatever leverage he thought he had. I think most fans are pointing the finger at either him or Sammy...........either way, this tactic isnt working and the kid is probably getting pissed that he is looking like the bad guy. I give it til high noon.

Both Baker, and Allen did him no favors either by specifically stating they mandated the agent to cut the deal so they would not miss a practice.  Definitely will put Darnold in a bad light with some.

Also I’m aggravated because TBH Jets football doesn’t start for me till Darnold is on that field practicing, I don’t need updates on 40 year old McCown’s practice reps I know who he is, and the Jets did not get 1 player anywhere else that excites me to hear/read about what he might be, or not be doing well in camp.

14 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Could be but I would be more likely inclined to it being the agent. The more money Darnold gets, the more money the agent gets. 30 mil to a 21 yr old kid will do more than buy him a car and pay his cell phone bill

the delay isn't over the money.  The salary and Bonus are slotted.  The delay is over offset language and/or the timing of the signing bonus payments.

Sexton is trying to take it down to the last seconds and make us cave. It’s not happening because the Jets told themselves they wouldn’t be done in over contracts anymore. So this could get ugly but I think it’ll get done....don’t ask me if I mean before the first practice though.

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Sexton is trying to take it down to the last seconds and make us cave. It’s not happening because the Jets told themselves they wouldn’t be done in over contracts anymore. So this could get ugly but I think it’ll get done....don’t ask me if I mean before the first practice though.

If he signs right this second I’d be surprised if he made the first practice, he still has to do the conditioning test, sign the documents, get situated, and I could see the coaches basically saying he isn’t practicing today with out the preparation of the day leading into the practice itself.

Archived