Now I’m genuinely aggravated!

Lupz27

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

the question was raised whether the stall could be over Darnold wanting the Jets to agree NOT to Franchise Tag him after his 5th year option.  I asked whether or not the CBA allows that point to be negotiated.  Here is what I found:

In Article 7 (Rookie Contracts), I found this:

A Rookie Contract may also contain non-compensation terms relating to: (1) player appearances/promotions; (2) workers' compensation issues; (3) waivers of Club liability for preexisting injuries/physical conditions; (4) forfeiture of 25 compensation and/ or of guarantees to the extent permitted in Article 4; (5) deduction or repayment of advanced non-guaranteed year-one Paragraph 5 Salary; (6) insurance policies; (7) tax implications; (8) confidentiality (subject to Article 26); (9) the severability of unenforceable contract terms; (10) legal/contractual interpretation issues; (11) representations and warranties that at the time the contract is executed, no circumstances exist that would prevent the player's continuing availability to the Club for the duration of the contract; (12) waiver of a Club's right to enforce any of the terms of Paragraph 3 of the NFL Player Contract; and (13) waiver of a Club's rights regarding the designations of, or the Required Tender amounts for, Franchise or Transition Players. With the sole exception of the compensation terms that appear in Subsection (b) above, the other permissible terms that appear in this Subsection, and, if applicable, the Proven Performance Escalator in Section 4 and the Fifth-Year Option in Section 7 of this Article, any other contract terms will be deemed null and void ab initio unless the parties to this Agreement agree otherwise.

So "waiver of a club's rights to designate the Franchise Tag" is indeed a negotiable item.  Darnold may want out of NY as fast as possible.  If Sexton can force the Jets to waive their right to Franchise him after the 5th year option is over, then Sam can escape after his 5th year here without being subjected to a Cousins-like imprisonment in Washington for an additional year or two by being tagged.  

I still cannot imagine Sexton thinking the Jets would ever cave on this issue. It would be a fireable offense to let Darnold go free after his contract is up without the right to franchise him. I'd just as soon let him hold out the entire year. 

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I still cannot imagine Sexton thinking the Jets would ever cave on this issue. It would be a fireable offense to let Darnold go free after his contract is up without the right to franchise him. I'd just as soon let him hold out the entire year. 

I agree.  Then we are back to the incredibly silly point that all this is over offset language that nearly 100% unlikely ever to manifest.  WTF?  Is Sexton out of his mind?  Is he using Sam and the Jets to establish a precedent to benefit himself and others in the future?  If so, then has he violated his fiduciary duty to work in Sam's best interest?

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I agree.  Then we are back to the incredibly silly point that all this is over offset language that nearly 100% unlikely ever to manifest.  WTF?  Is Sexton out of his mind?  Is he using Sam and the Jets to establish a precedent to benefit himself and others in the future?  If so, then has he violated his fiduciary duty to work in Sam's best interest?

You know...it's entirely possible that Sam wants the Franchise Tag option out and has told Sexton that's his Rubicon.  I hope that's not the case, but we really don't know.  And I'm not sure we ever will because I can't imagine either Darnold or Sexton ever revealing something like that even after the deal (hopefully) gets done.

Has any rookie EVER gotten that out?  

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

You know...it's entirely possible that Sam wants the Franchise Tag option out and has told Sexton that's his Rubicon.  I hope that's not the case, but we really don't know.  And I'm not sure we ever will because I can't imagine either Darnold or Sexton ever revealing something like that even after the deal (hopefully) gets done.

Has any rookie EVER gotten that out?  

NFL Network reported that Darnold told his agents to just get it done, that he does not care and his agents said let us take care of it. I think Sam is a non-confrontational guy. He needs to step up and tell dickweeds at CAA that it is his contract and he couldnt  give a loose smelly turd for helping them get a "win" in their ledger to help recruit future players.

7 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

NFL Network reported that Darnold told his agents to just get it done, that he does not care and his agents said let us take care of it. I think Sam is a non-confrontational guy. He needs to step up and tell dickweeds at CAA that it is his contract and he couldnt  give a loose smelly turd for helping them get a "win" in their ledger to help recruit future players.

If CAA wants a loose, smelly turd, I could probably help them out after last night's dinner.

I hope NFLN has their facts right.  It certainly is plausible but so is the other side that its about Franchise Tender rights.  Still, I see no way the Jets would cave on that and establish a precedent that no team in the league wants to ever see happen with rookie contracts.  Makes me wonder if the Bears and Roquan Smith are hung up on the same thing as well, which is odd because he has far less leverage than Sam even.

There's something flattering about this-

If CAA is trying to manipulate terms so that Sam Darnold can get out of his contract a bit early while the others drafted under their guidance they don't care, hell, that must mean that they think the world of this kid and perhaps we just drafted the next Peyton Manning.

SAR I

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

This is a great opportunity to get that win. Jets know the fans are rabid for a QB and can’t afford this to drag on. Smart agent.

31 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I doubt we see Darnold in camp for a long time if this goes past Sunday, which will indicate both sides are entrenched and Sam will essentially lose this year. So friggin dumb. I hate Sexton BTW.

Anybody know Sam's address?

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Fans hated Revis for holding out what effect will this have on those same fans with Sam Darnold holding out. 

And the same fans forget the most important part: Revis went on to become one of the best to do it. But of course they only remember that the man wanted to be paid like it.

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Fans hated Revis for holding out what effect will this have on those same fans with Sam Darnold holding out. 

Silver Lining:  Sam probably looked so much better in practices with the first team than McCown and Bridgewater that he and his agent know he has all leverage 

Same thing happened when Revis was a rookie 

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

There's something flattering about this-

If CAA is trying to manipulate terms so that Sam Darnold can get out of his contract a bit early while the others drafted under their guidance they don't care, hell, that must mean that they think the world of this kid and perhaps we just drafted the next Peyton Manning.

SAR I

I think that’s what going on which is why I’m sort of ok with this even tho it just continues to Show  how terrible Macagnan  really is

Archived