Now I’m genuinely aggravated!

Lupz27

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

I assume this was after we gave Trumaine Johnson $72 million.

I think the Jets wanted to pay that man that type of money.?

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

If he signs right this second I’d be surprised if he made the first practice, he still has to do the conditioning test, sign the documents, get situated, and I could see the coaches basically saying he isn’t practicing today with out the preparation of the day leading into the practice itself.

Sexton is a ****, man. Just our luck that Darnold hires him. But yeah, you are right. I could see the exact same thing unfolding. It’s mad disappointing..

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dcat said:

then why didn't he do that for Josh Allen too?  Because Allen told him to knock off this sh*t and get him in camp on time. Sexton acquiesced.  Apparently, Darnold is taking the opposite stance and encouraging his agent to fight for this.  THis is on Darnold, not the agent.  Bills had no problem with the agent, did they?

Question, how do you know the Bills used the same language as the Jets in Josh's contract?

We really don't know what the holdup is, neither do the so-called media  "insiders"

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

More then likely Darnold has just turned the lawyer stuff over to his lawyer while he concentrates on playing football.

Yes, he can say "I'll sign anything" but if he's smart he'll let the guy he hired do his job.  

Sexton is a tough bastard.  Interesting to me that Sexton represents our teddy bear of a HC at USC, maybe Coach Helton recommended him because Sam is so easy going and amicable.  

19 minutes ago, Dcat said:

the delay isn't over the money.  The salary and Bonus are slotted.  The delay is over offset language and/or the timing of the signing bonus payments.

Do you think the way he gets his signing bonus money effects the way the agent is paid. For instance if he gets it all up front or gets it over the length of his contract and it’s not all guaranteed if he’s not on the Jets after this year or next year, that would cut into the agents earnings. I’m just saying after seeing where my 4 kids were at 21 and somebody who wanted to play as bad as he says he does and a team willing to throw him 30 million do you really think he is holding out his agent on technicalities. Or is his agent who’s “a dick to deal with” is advising him to hold out.

12 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think the Jets wanted to pay that man that type of money.?

Sexton is a ****, man. Just our luck that Darnold hires him. But yeah, you are right. I could see the exact same thing unfolding. It’s mad disappointing..

So basically there is no rush this morning to cave from either side, it will be this evening into the night hours tonight where it will become who blinks first, the last thing the Jets want is to have this big grandiose special PSL only practice, and not have Darnold signed, and in uniform practicing, and wonder if Sexton plans on pushing it to late tonight to see if the Jets do cave with that practice in mind.

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

First practice is in 6 hours, I seriously doubt even if he signs that contract between now, and then that Sam practices today, this ******* team (I know it will not be a long dragged out thing, but drafting Sam was the first great thing this team has done in forever to put a sour taste in your mouth now is just so aggravating).

" Now I’m genuinely aggravated ! "..

Snow-Plow-Nails-Guy570.gif

?

55 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Could be but I would be more likely inclined to it being the agent. The more money Darnold gets, the more money the agent gets. 30 mil to a 21 yr old kid will do more than buy him a car and pay his cell phone bill

bc2f17b606b85de4bf7b8d75858e1d4b58bc2e88

15 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

So basically there is no rush this morning to cave from either side, it will be this evening into the night hours tonight where it will become who blinks first, the last thing the Jets want is to have this big grandiose special PSL only practice, and not have Darnold signed, and in uniform practicing, and wonder if Sexton plans on pushing it to late tonight to see if the Jets do cave with that practice in mind.

Exactly the notion that I get from all this. But to me it’s like Hawkeye said...Sam should tell him, “look, either you get me on the football field for my first practice or i’m looking for a new agent. This looks bad on me and makes me seem as if I don’t want to be out there with my teammates on my very first TC.”

Of course Sam probably wouldn’t do that, that is slightly aggressive of him to say but hell something needs to be said from Darnold end on an attempt to push Sexton’s side because Sexton doesn’t want to budge and he most likely thinks he can get what he desires out of the Jets and it’s erking him that he’s not getting it. This is turning into a Sexton vs the Jets thing and it’s going to have Sam suffer because of it

58 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

I think Sexton was hoping that this little mini hold out would put more pressure on the jets but since the other qb's are already in camp and got the offset language I think he lost whatever leverage he thought he had. I think most fans are pointing the finger at either him or Sammy...........either way, this tactic isnt working and the kid is probably getting pissed that he is looking like the bad guy. I give it til high noon.

Also one has to look at history here. 

Even if you think that Mac has been an average GM, which I tend to believe he has; he has Never Ever taken advantage of a player in contract negotiations, especially at the QB position. 

The contracts that Maccagnan gave Fitzpatrick and McCown were sweetheart deals, and ones which no one in the NFL as far as we know was offering them. 

I am 100% behind Sam and we really don’t know what is going on but one thing is clear IMO Mac is not trying to take advantage of Sam Darnold. 

Maccagnan signed Leo no problems 

Maccagnan signed Lee no problems 

Maccagnan signed Adams no problems 

Chris Johnson declared drafting Darnold the best thing to ever happen to the franchise and the Jets marketing department is in all Darnold all the time mode 

Logic tells us this is sexton trying to pressure the Jets into a deal that is way out of whack 

Maccagnan should tell him if Sam wants to compete to get his ass in 

3 hours ago, Jets1958 said:

Exactly.

the browns and bills included offset language and got signatures. It’s Darnold that is asking for the moon.

Darnold has them by the balls and his agent knows it. This is what happens when you're considered an inept laughing stock for nearly a decade. You pay a premium. A stupidity tax. Sanchez, Petty, Geno, Hack. The Jets f'ed up with all of them and you guys think Darnolds agent is just gonna sign whatever they want? LOL. 

Pay the man. **** the offset crap. Get him in camp and go all in. 

5 minutes ago, RSJ said:

I was actually going to go to training camp tomorrow - but not if Darnold is still unsigned. Maybe I am alone - but I feel like I see enough of Darron Lee missing tackles and Jamal Adams dropping ints on Sundays.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Yeah I would never show to a TC practice without Darnold suited up, Saturday, and Sunday are half the practices open to the public also no Darnold no crowd IMO.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Yeah I would never show to a TC practice without Darnold suited up, Saturday, and Sunday are half the practices open to the public also no Darnold no crowd IMO.

Or no darnold = angry crowd.  And maybe that is what Sexton is waiting on.  Public pressure.

3 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Darnold has them by the balls and his agent knows it. This is what happens when you're comsidered an inept laughing stock for nearly a decade. You pay a premium. A stupidity tax. Sanchez, Petty, Geno, Hack. The Jets f'ed up witg all of them and you guys tgink Darnolds agent is just gonna sign whatever they want? LOL. 

Pay the man. **** the offset crap. Get him in camp and go all in. 

He is a rookie, the wage scale is set, they have 2 other qbs that they have to get ready to play..........he doesnt have shyt. I wouldnt give him anything more than the other qb's got, he hasnt done anything to earn special treatment yet. We can wait him out, he is the one that will mess up his chance to start and you know the kid doesnt want to be a backup if he has a chance to own the city.  

Who cares?  

Josh Allen is so bad he’s getting standing ovations for every completion he makes. 

The Mayfield hype-train has run out of coal, (or steam, or whatever the hell trains run on these days). He was praised for NOT running-for-his-life, and Hue Jack indicated that it’s going to be a process to teach him to stay in the pocket. 

Rosen... I’ve got nothing. He’s probably going to be amazing on the field, but so annoying at the podium, that it would be a weird dynamic; rooting for someone you can’t tolerate. Similar to watching any movie with Dwayne Johnson in it. 

When Sam DOES take the field, he’ll be the best option for this team moving forward, bar none. His contract will get signed. All of this frustration will go away. 

Bosa was a #3 in 2016, his hold-out sucked, and then his four game injury sucked, but nobody’s complaining about his talent NOW; double-digit sacks in both years. 

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

If this goes beyond this morning then Darnold agent is the one to blame here.  If he’s holding out for some useless offsets that will never come into play then negotiating Darnold extension is going to a royal pain in the a$$.   

Sexton is part of CAA..Same agency that is representing Bears #1 pick Smith. Also Joey Bosa, who held out how long?

BTW...Look at some of their clients..Bosa, Julio Jones, Aaron Donald..

https://www.caa.com/sportstalent/football

I don't see what the big deal is and why everyone is up in arms about this. 1st day of practice is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Furthermore, this happens ALL THE TIME with high draft picks. MacC is doing due diligence pouring over the contract details, as a good GM should. So is Darnold's agent, as a good agent should. This is not really news and will not have an impact on anything. He will be signed soon and all of this will be forgotten. 

Just now, Greenseed4 said:

Rosen... I’ve got nothing. He’s probably going to be amazing on the field, but so annoying at the podium, that it would be a weird dynamic; rooting for someone you can’t tolerate. Similar to watching any movie with Dwayne Johnson in it. 

He will be amazing on the field until he gets hurt. 

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Sexton is part of CAA..Same agency that is representing Bears #1 pick Smith. Also Joey Bosa, who held out how long?

BTW...Look at some of their clients..

https://www.caa.com/sportstalent/football

Sexton also handled Fitzpatrick's long standoff with Maccagnan, completely schooling him in that one when all was said and done. Not shocking that he's playing hardball with him again. 

6 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

He is a rookie, the wage scale is set, they have 2 other qbs that they have to get ready to play..........he doesnt have shyt. I wouldnt give him anything more than the other qb's got, he hasnt done anything to earn special treatment yet. We can wait him out, he is the one that will mess up his chance to start and you know the kid doesnt want to be a backup if he has a chance to own the city.  

This is correct. Darnold's agent only has so much he can squabble over. As you said, the rookie wage scale is set. And that is what is happening now. They are squabbling over the details. This happens all the time with high draft picks. In this case, the Jets have 2 veteran QBs and can very much wait Darold out. It's a bad look for Darnold to be doing this- IMO. You can put whatever spin you want on it but he WILL sign with the Jets and its a bad start for a rookie to have tension with his new team's brass before he has set foot on the field.  

4 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I don't see what the big deal is and why everyone is up in arms about this. 1st day of practice is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Furthermore, this happens ALL THE TIME with high draft picks. MacC is doing due diligence pouring over the contract details, as a good GM should. So is Darnold's agent, as a good agent should. This is not really news and will not have an impact on anything. He will be signed soon and all of this will be forgotten. 

lol thats what people said about revis ....it's about setting a precedent at some point...i think thats really the bottom line here with the teams position. I think Mac is being more than fair but is not going to be rolled over...especially not that the spotlight is on. 

I think I know what's going on here. Darnold told Jimmy Sexton, "listen, Josh McCown is an old fart whose hurt every year & Teddy Bridgewater has a spaghetti leg. They both blow chunks & im already better than them and every damn coach & player that were there at OTAs knows it. Hold out for whatever you can, I was the best QB in this draft!"

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

This is correct. Darnold's agent only has so much he can squabble over. As you said, the rookie wage scale is set. And that is what is happening now. They are squabbling over the details. This happens all the time with high draft picks. In this case, the Jets have 2 veteran QBs and can very much wait Darold out. It's a bad look for Darnold to be doing this- IMO. You can put whatever spin you want on it but he WILL sign with the Jets and its a bad start for a rookie to have tension with his new team's brass before he has set foot on the field.  

and of course tomorrows headlines will say "sources say Darnold really doesnt want to play for the Jets"

2 minutes ago, kelly said:

Or no darnold = angry crowd.  And maybe that is what Sexton is waiting on.  Public pressure.

Yea, but for what? Is it really worth it to wait until the fan base starts to turn on the team GM. The team you are about to sign a multi-year deal with, the GM you will most likely have to negotiate an extension with? It's a ridiculous strategy. 

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

not only did Mayfield cave in on "offset", so did Allen.  And Allen has the same agent.  This tells me that it is Darnold himself who is being the dick here.  Color me disappointed in the kid.

Maybe, he doesn't want to play here.  Honestly, who wants to play for Todd Bowles.  Maybe his offset language is that they fire Bowles and then he signs.  If so , I will go buy a Darnold Jersey.

Archived