Now I’m genuinely aggravated!

Lupz27

19 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Who cares?  

Josh Allen is so bad he’s getting standing ovations for every completion he makes. 

The Mayfield hype-train has run out of coal, (or steam, or whatever the hell trains run on these days). He was praised for NOT running-for-his-life, and Hue Jack indicated that it’s going to be a process to teach him to stay in the pocket. 

Rosen... I’ve got nothing. He’s probably going to be amazing on the field, but so annoying at the podium, that it would be a weird dynamic; rooting for someone you can’t tolerate. Similar to watching any movie with Dwayne Johnson in it. 

When Sam DOES take the field, he’ll be the best option for this team moving forward, bar none. His contract will get signed. All of this frustration will go away. 

Bosa was a #3 in 2016, his hold-out sucked, and then his four game injury sucked, but nobody’s complaining about his talent NOW; double-digit sacks in both years. 

Yes, and it was widely known the Bosa hold out was all on the Chargers, let’s see what’s the deal with Darnold, and the Jets.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Both Allen, and Mayfield are much more likely to bust early so the teams need that off set language, I think Darnold, and his camp are basically playing the listen we know he is the safest QB prospect in this draft to be with the team the whole 4 years, and so do you, and I guarantee Sexton wants at least one victory this year with his clients, and as long as Darnold himself doesn’t say knock it off Sexton will hold firm IMO.  This could turn into a Bosa situation if Darnold doesn’t step in.

I think Mayfield is going to be a great QB.  Allen, not so much.  Darnold either wants to play or he doesn't.  Our FO and HC does suck, so it is a wash on whom is to blame.  Mark Sanchez probably put a bug in his ear.

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Then why is Josh Allen, who has the same agent, in camp throwing passes right now?

Sounds like he's not throwing passes to a Bills player on the field.

I keed, I keed....just trying to stay positive till Sammy signs the damn contract.

5 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Maybe, he doesn't want to play here.  Honestly, who wants to play for Todd Bowles.  Maybe his offset language is that they fire Bowles and then he signs.  If so , I will go buy a Darnold Jersey.

I GUARANTEE Sam wants to play in NY, he and his family were happy where he was picked.

Lets look at other reasons, that is definitely not it.

1 hour ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Question, how do you know the Bills used the same language as the Jets in Josh's contract?

We really don't know what the holdup is, neither do the so-called media  "insiders"

Because there are only two plausible contractual issues: offset language and timing of bonus payments. Sexton got it done for Allen who pushed him to get him in to camp on time. Not so with your boy. Sorry, I know you love the kid, but this is squarely on him. I hope you can resist your urges to defend him at any cost, because this is all Darnold.

Jets' Sam Darnold officially late for camp amid contract holdup

One Jets source insisted they're not worried

By Ralph Vacchiano | Jul 26 | 9:20PM

The beginning of the much-anticipated Sam Darnold Era will have to wait a little longer.

Darnold, the Jets' latest franchise quarterback and the No. 3 overall pick in the NFL draft, officially became late for his first training camp when he failed to report with the rest of his teammates on Thursday morning, and even missing the Jets' first team meeting later in the day. He is one of two first-round picks still unsigned, joining Chicago Bears linebacker Roquan Smith, who was taken eighth overall.

A Jets team source insisted they aren't worried about the holdup, and expressed some optimism that a deal could be done in time for Darnold to attend the Jets' first practice on Friday afternoon. But the longer it takes, the more curious it gets since there isn't much to negotiate in rookie contracts anymore, and since Darnold needs all the practice time he can get to have a legitimate shot at the Opening Day starting job.

The Jets will hold their first practice of training camp on Friday afternoon in Florham Park, N.J., beginning at 1:50 p.m.

Money is "slotted" for all draft picks under the NFL's collective bargaining agreement and whenever Darnold signs the 21-year-old will get a four-year, fully guaranteed contract worth $30.5 million and a signing bonus of about $20.2 million. The deal will include a team option for a fifth year, as it does for all first-round picks.

So why the holdout? Contract disputes for first-rounders are almost always about one of two things: Either a payment schedule for the signing bonus or "offset language" in the deal. If it's about the payment of the $20.2 million bonus, though, that seems like a simple hurdle to overcome since the money is guaranteed anyway.

If it's the "offset language," that's a ridiculous fight that often becomes a test of wills to see who blinks first. "Offsets" are about who would pay a player if he's cut in the first four years of the contract and signs with another team. The teams, of course, want to deduct what the player's new team is paying them from what they still owe the player. And players (and their agents) would prefer to "double dip" and get money from both teams.

It's ridiculous because if Darnold is cut in the first four years of the contract, the Jets have far bigger problems than who'll be paying him. In fact, most likely, they'll be beginning another rebuilding project under a new general manager and head coach. Then again, to be fair, neither of the last two quarterbacks drafted by the Jets made it to the end of their rookie deals -- Christian Hackenberg (second round, 2016) and Bryce Petty (fourth, 2015). Geno Smith (second, 2013) did, but he had lost his starting job two years earlier.

The Jets, of course, hope Darnold has a long future ahead of him with the team, but they'd prefer to get that started as soon as possible. Their other quarterbacks are 39-year-old veteran Josh McCown,and Teddy Bridgewater who is attempting a comeback from a devastating knee injury. Darnold is expected to begin camp third on the depth chart behind those two, but he figures to get plenty of first-team reps so the Jets can see if he's ready.

But he has to get to camp first before that can happen.

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/jets-sam-darnold-officially-late-for-camp-amid-contract-holdup/287536582

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Macc gonna Macc being Macc.

In an era literally designed to save teams from rookie draft pick holdouts and drama....whelp, here we are.

Yeah because Macc has a history of not getting number 1s in on time and Sextons guys always sign in time for day 1.  

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

Do you think the way he gets his signing bonus money effects the way the agent is paid. For instance if he gets it all up front or gets it over the length of his contract and it’s not all guaranteed if he’s not on the Jets after this year or next year, that would cut into the agents earnings. I’m just saying after seeing where my 4 kids were at 21 and somebody who wanted to play as bad as he says he does and a team willing to throw him 30 million do you really think he is holding out his agent on technicalities. Or is his agent who’s “a dick to deal with” is advising him to hold out.

Well the agent wasn't a dick to deal with for Josh Allen, was he?  Bills got the offset language they wanted and the two came to terms on time regarding bonus payment timing. So what's the difference doing same for Darnold?  It has to be Darnold not pushing Sexton to get him in on time.

9 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

I GUARANTEE Sam wants to play in NY, he and his family were happy where he was picked.

Lets look at other reasons, that is definitely not it.

Nevermind some of these ludicrous statements some here post. 

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Because there are only two plausible contractual issues: offset language and timing of bonus payments. Sexton got it done for Allen who pushed him to get him in to camp on time. Not so with your boy. Sorry, I know you love the kid, but this is squarely on him. I hope you can resist your urges to defend him at any cost, because this is all Darnold.

Thank you for the information...I know zero about NFL contracts, so appreciate the info.

Nowhere have I defended Sam holding out, or that he should even start for the Jets, nor have I said - or think, one thing negative about the QBs.  All I post is information on the young man himself....and a hold out for any reason does not affect his character in the slightest.  

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

From the Joey Bosa hold out who was also the #3 overall pick, and repped by CAA.

But the fact is, every No. 3 overall pick since 2012 has either had no offset language or no signing bonus deferral.

So this is probably the disagreement going on, and CAA is citing this, not what Mayfield, Barkley, and Allen did with their deals.  And the Chargers were widely considered the wrong party, and responsible for the hold out so let’s wait till we have the facts before we start throwing shade at Darnold.

44 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

He is a rookie, the wage scale is set, they have 2 other qbs that they have to get ready to play..........he doesnt have shyt. I wouldnt give him anything more than the other qb's got, he hasnt done anything to earn special treatment yet. We can wait him out, he is the one that will mess up his chance to start and you know the kid doesnt want to be a backup if he has a chance to own the city.  

OK

LOL. Consensus #1 in the draft. Just turned 21. IF he wanted to play hardball, he could just sit out, keep practicing with Jordan Palmer, and Elway himself out of here. That would really be the final nail in the Jets coffin and would make the ButtFumble or the fake spike look like fond memories. 

The longer this goes on, the worse it is for the Jets. 

I am as big of a Darnold supporter as it gets, absolutely love the kid but this ultimately will fall on him. With the parameters set forth by the CBA, the contracts are basically 98% done and you either choose to live with offsets or you don't. I think Sam in a vacuum signs with offset language because he knows it will never come into play anyway, but I think he's been persuaded by Sexton to dig his heels in. That's not to shift blame because ultimately Sexton works for him like Allen proved, but agents are salesmen by nature and if you're an NFL agent you're a damn good one at that.

Conversely, if you're the Jets and you're needing to worry about offset language 4 years from now with Darnold you have WAY bigger issues. Also not to mention, the Jets have built up ZERO equity for anyone to trust them. You're drafting this kid, hoping to hand him the franchise and invest literally $150-$200M in him and we are worrying about being on the hook for maybe $6M bucks a few years from now?

Just get it done boys.

2 hours ago, MaxAF said:

Because his value is not as high as Darnold. Just my best guess as everyone elses.

"value" is irrelevant.  This isn't about the amount of money.  That is already decided by the slotting rules.  This is about when the payments are made and/or offset language.

2 hours ago, MaxAF said:

Could be but I would be more likely inclined to it being the agent. The more money Darnold gets, the more money the agent gets. 30 mil to a 21 yr old kid will do more than buy him a car and pay his cell phone bill

off base.  The hold up is not about $$$ amounts

Just now, Dcat said:

"value" is irrelevant.  This isn't about the amount of money.  That is already decided by the slotting rules.  This is about when the payments are made and/or offset language.

I can't imagine it's really about when the payments are made, the money is all fully guaranteed. I think it has to be offset language, which both sides need to realize doesn't matter in this instance.

1 minute ago, msena88 said:

I can't imagine it's really about when the payments are made, the money is all fully guaranteed. I think it has to be offset language, which both sides need to realize doesn't matter in this instance.

Time value of money. 25 mil today > 25 mil in five years.

You can also dispute money that hasn’t been paid of Darnold does something that the jets consider a breach of contract.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

I assume this was after we gave Trumaine Johnson $72 million.

only $45 million is guaranteed.   High priced for sure but he is one of the league's top CBs.  Nobody got shafted on that contract.  Steep but within reason, IMO

Just now, nico002 said:

Time value of money. 25 mil today > 25 mil in five years.

You can also dispute money that hasn’t been paid of Darnold does something that the jets consider a breach of contract.

The only timing they're talking about is the signing bonus, most guys receive 100% of that fairly quickly so inflation isn't a big deal at all. The arguments are typically timelines of all of it right now or some now and some 6 months from now.

17 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

From the Joey Bosa hold out who was also the #3 overall pick, and repped by CAA.

But the fact is, every No. 3 overall pick since 2012 has either had no offset language or no signing bonus deferral.

So this is probably the disagreement going on, and CAA is citing this, not what Mayfield, Barkley, and Allen did with their deals.  And the Chargers were widely considered the wrong party, and responsible for the hold out so let’s wait till we have the facts before we start throwing shade at Darnold.

you are ignoring the reality of what heppened with Allen, Sexton and the Bills.  The clear difference between the two situations was Allen's demanding he get it done so that he could be in camp on time.  If you know of other differences in the 2 situations, please post.  Otherwise, common sense dictates that this is Darnold letting Sexton do what he wants, unlike what Allen did.  

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

you are ignoring the reality of what heppened with Allen, Sexton and the Bills.  The clear difference between the two situations was Allen's demanding he get it done so that he could be in camp on time.  If you know of other differences in the 2 situations, please post.  Otherwise, common sense dictates that this is Darnold letting Sexton do what he wants, unlike what Allen did.  

#3 overall pick VS #7 overall pick, and the fact no #3 overall pick has not gotten one, or the other why should Darnold be the first to cave (again who knows if that’s what’s going on here just an example, and reason why you can’t throw shade at Darnold), CAA would lose clients if their client the #3 overall pick is the first #3 overall pick to ever give in to this, I’d also go as far as CAA saying we are not caving, if you want to cave your gonna do it without us because they would lose more money in the future then what they will make off Darnold.

But again we don’t know the details so we can’t throw shade until the details are released.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

#3 overall pick VS #7 overall pick, and the fact no #3 overall pick has not gotten one, or the other why should Darnold be the first to cave (again who knows if that’s what’s going on here just an example, and reason why you can’t throw shade at Darnold), CAA would lose clients if their client the #3 overall pick is the first #3 overall pick to ever give in to this, I’d also go as far as CAA saying we are not caving, if you want to cave your gonna do it without us because they would lose more money in the future then what they will make off Darnold.

But again we don’t know the details so we can’t throw shade until the details are released.

Baker and Saquon both signed with offsets in their contracts. I understand it hadn't happened yet before, but this cut the legs out from under Darnold and his camp. It sucks to say but if you're Darnold, if you're going to miss 1 you might as well hold out until Jets cave. No sense in missing any time at all if your mindset is well if they don't budge in a week I'll just sign.

7 minutes ago, msena88 said:

Baker and Saquon both signed with offsets in their contracts. I understand it hadn't happened yet before, but this cut the legs out from under Darnold and his camp. It sucks to say but if you're Darnold, if you're going to miss 1 you might as well hold out until Jets cave. No sense in missing any time at all if your mindset is well if they don't budge in a week I'll just sign.

Both Mayfield, and Barkley got their signing bonus in full up front in exchange for offset language, again Bosa held out because the Chargers wanted to spread the bonus money out, AND have offset language something no other #3 pick has ever agreed to since the new CBA, and If the Jets are trying to pull this then its on them, time will tell.

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Both Mayfield, and Barkley got their signing bonus in full up front in exchange for offset language, again Bosa held out because the Chargers wanted to spread the bonus money out, AND have offset language something no other #3 pick has ever agreed to since the new CBA, and If the Jets are trying to pull this then its on them, time will tell.

Whatever the disconnect is, both sides are being extremely penny wise and pound foolish.

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

so the Jets should be the only team in the top 10 of the draft to cave in on "offset" crap?  Sorry, but I don't agree here. Put this on Darnold, not the Jets.  Darnold should just tell his agent to do what Mayfield, Allen and even Rosen did.  He somehow feels he has to this differently from the other 1st round QBs?  Why?  ANd Sexton represented Allen and Allen is in camp on time.

No, Darnold shoud do what is best for his long term future.  Not what fans are whining about for an extra day of no contact  parctice.

6 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I just wish we had ANY idea as to what was going on. No real rumors or speculation. We are completely in the dark on what was supposed to be a great day after the most boring part of the football offseason. I’d rather it go back to being boring than being annoyed at this. Bottom line, this should not have happened. Someone is a d*ckface and that’s just JETS luck. 

41 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Exactly! When Darnold gets paid his agent gets the cut!

10 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Ian Rapoport ✔@RapSheet

The #Giants have agreed to terms with first-round RB Saquon Barkley on his four-year, fully guaranteed contract worth $31.2M, source says. He has a $20.76M signing bonus with $15M paid out immediately — the most in several years. He gets the rest by October. Rookies report today.

55 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

OK

LOL. Consensus #1 in the draft. Just turned 21. IF he wanted to play hardball, he could just sit out, keep practicing with Jordan Palmer, and Elway himself out of here. That would really be the final nail in the Jets coffin and would make the ButtFumble or the fake spike look like fond memories. 

The longer this goes on, the worse it is for the Jets. 

funny but would NEVER happen....that my friend is just gobbledegob

Day officially ruined, most excited I’ve been about a Jets TC ever, 2-6 pm hours at work were gonna be a breeze reading about Darnold, and stuff now I’m bummed, and work is gonna drag hard the rest of the day ?

Archived