Now I’m genuinely aggravated!

Lupz27

6 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

First practice is in 6 hours, I seriously doubt even if he signs that contract between now, and then that Sam practices today, this ******* team (I know it will not be a long dragged out thing, but drafting Sam was the first great thing this team has done in forever to put a sour taste in your mouth now is just so aggravating).

Are you people for real? 

He’s on the fcking team. Jesus Christ people, when was the last time some of you had something serious to concern yourselves over. We have the future franchise player of lifetime. Now you’re gpnna bitch that he’s isn’t camp fast enough?

Perspective is lost on this fan base 

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Paradis said:

Are you people for real? 

He’s on the fcking team. Jesus Christ people, when was the last time some of you had something serious to concern yourselves over. We have the future franchise player of lifetime. Now you’re gpnna bitch that he’s isn’t camp fast enough?

Perspective is lost on this fan base 

No pads until Sunday to boot. So just another mini-camp type practice

that may be the risk they take by picking a qb or any player so high but the jets seem to be in the right.  why should they be on the hook for guaranteed money if the player isn't on the team?  and what does it say about darnold's (or probably his agents) confidence of being a top flight nfl qb?  it's things like this that ruin the game.

56 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

I never thought that I would be taking the Jets side on this, but it appears that Darnold and greed are to blame. 

No way. It's business and all about leverage. The Jets traded a bunch of draft capital to move up to secure Darnold, our supposed QB hero after decades of disappointment. Plus Barkley signed with the Giants. The optics are far worse for the Jets than Darnold. 

I'll never take the side of the shady billionaires (NFL owners). 

Just now, SouthernJet said:

I think Sam is asking for a Fully Guaranteed contract. That is a Owner precedent issue and ONLY thing I can see stopping Jets from showing off their Golden Child on Opening of Camp.

Every 1st round draft pick has their contract fully guaranteed, it’s all about language, and bonus payment schedule.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

No, Darnold shoud do what is best for his long term future.  Not what fans are whining about for an extra day of no contact  parctice.

I'd argue being there day one and winning the starting job as a rookie is what is best for his long term future, not quibbling over something that will likely prove totally inconsequential.

19 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Every 1st round draft pick has their contract fully guaranteed, it’s all about language, and bonus payment schedule.

Bonus guranteed I know, but if they cut in 2 years, is the salary fo ryeas 3 and 4 guaranteed

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

#3 overall pick VS #7 overall pick, and the fact no #3 overall pick has not gotten one, or the other why should Darnold be the first to cave (again who knows if that’s what’s going on here just an example, and reason why you can’t throw shade at Darnold), CAA would lose clients if their client the #3 overall pick is the first #3 overall pick to ever give in to this, I’d also go as far as CAA saying we are not caving, if you want to cave your gonna do it without us because they would lose more money in the future then what they will make off Darnold.

But again we don’t know the details so we can’t throw shade until the details are released.

#3 vs #7 makes no difference when it comes to offset language or the specific timing of bonus payments.  THe only difference is salary and bonus amount, which is all determined from slotting.  THIS YEAR...  1,2,4,5,6,7 all have the same resolution of offset language.  Darnold would be the outlier.  Makes no sense that #3 should be any different fro the other top 6.  Last year is irrelevant.

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

Exactly! When Darnold gets paid his agent gets the cut!

But the agent didn't seem to mind when he gets his cut from Buffalo (for Allen's bonus).  Again, he acquiesced for Allen, but not for Darnold?  That's on Darnold, not the agent.  All Darnold needs to do is tell him to get it done (just like Allen did).  But no. This is 100% on Darnold.  Not on the Jets or on Sexton.

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

But the agent didn't seem to mind when he gets his cut from Buffalo (for Allen's bonus).  Again, he acquiesced for Allen, but not for Darnold?  That's on Darnold, not the agent.  All Darnold needs to do is tell him to get it done (just like Allen did).  But no. This is 100% on Darnold.  Not on the Jets or on Sexton.

Well this should be over soon and Jet fans will get the details on The Who, what’s and when’s. I’m really a bit surprised about the whole thing listening to all the pre, present and post interviews during OTA’s from Darnold and his excitement and demeanor. Kinda leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth right now. Kids 21 and coming out of college and someone wants to give him a 4 year contract for 30 million. I mean WTF Sam, get it behind you and focus on the big picture.

24 minutes ago, Dcat said:

3 vs #7 makes no difference when it comes to offset language or the specific timing of bonus payments. 

This is false thou, no #3 pick has ever gotten offset language AND bonus payments spread out through the contract while guys from 4-7 have.

6 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

If Sam really wanted to be here he would've made sure he got the  contract signed in time,  not a good impression. 

agree, why I said maybe sticking point is "cant use Franchis Tag on me" clause that may be issue. Wants back in california eventually.?

1 minute ago, SouthernJet said:

agree, why I said maybe sticking point is "cant use Franchis Tag on me" clause that may be issue. Wants back in california eventually.?

Not sure if that's even negotiable, but if it is there is no way Macc can cave on that one. I'd rather he sits out the year then give him a free out in a few years.

4 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

This is false thou, no #3 pick has ever gotten offset language AND bonus payments spread out through the contract while guys from 4-7 have.

no 3's?  But yes for 1's, 2's, 4's, 5's 6's 7's .... etc this year? You think the #3 is unique and can be distinguished from 1'2\s 2's or even 7's?  Nope.  That's BS.  And what has happened in past years is completely irrelevant.  It's what is happening this year that matters and Darnold is trying to be the outlier among the first 7 picks.  Frankly, he's being a dick and it's patently ridiculous.

1 minute ago, SouthernJet said:

Don't know if he ever seemed happy being drafted by the Jets or not 1st overall,  he needs to get over it.  I know he is  not the most visually emotional guy but I would like to see my potential franchise quarterback being a leader and making sure he's there on the first day. 

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

no 3's?  But yes for 1's, 2's, 4's, 5's 6's 7's .... etc this year? You think the #3 is unique and can be distinguished from 1'2\s 2's or even 7's?  Nope.  That's BS.  And what has happened in past years is completely irrelevant.  It's what is happening this year that matters and Darnold is trying to be the outlier among the first 7 picks.  Frankly, he's being a dick and it's patently ridiculous.

No both Mayfield and Barkley are getting their FULL signing bonus this year that is the give from the team when the player accepts offset language.  The Chargers tried to do both spread out bonuse over the course of 4 years AND offset language IF the Jets are doing the same, and Darnold caves he would be the first to ever cave since the new CBA from pick #3, and this is why Bosa’s hold out lasted 4 weeks.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

No both Mayfield and Barkley are getting their FULL signing bonus this year that is the give from the team when the player accepts offset language.  The Chargers tried to do both spread out bonuse over the course of 4 years AND offset language IF the Jets are doing the same, and Darnold caves he would be the first to ever cave since the new CBA from pick #3, and this is why Bosa’s hold out lasted 4 weeks.

You really think the jets are attempting to do what Chargers tried (and failed) to do?  LOL.  No way. We shall see, I guess.

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

We shall see, I guess.

This is where I am at, can’t place blame on one side with out facts, but I’m definitely disappointed with both parties that this couldn’t be discussed more serious a few weeks earlier, and not have a stalemate now.

18 minutes ago, Dcat said:

You're really taking a hard stance without knowing any details. 

Darnold has no reason to accept the same terms that Mayfield did at #1. I like Baker as a prospect, but there's also video of him running from police en route to getting arrested. He really didn't have much of an argument not to accept offset language, and the team that drafted Johnny Manziel was likely to push for it. So what's happening this year is kinda special circumstances. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

You're really taking a hard stance without knowing any details. 

Darnold has no reason to accept the same terms that Mayfield did at #1. I like Baker as a prospect, but there's also video of him running from police en route to getting arrested. He really didn't have much of an argument not to accept offset language, and the team that drafted Johnny Manziel was likely to push for it. So what's happening this year is kinda special circumstances. 

And the Jets have no reason to cave into demands that other top picks didn't get..

All I know is that Macc has zero history of being unreasonable and forcing picks to hold out while Darnold has no history. So if I'm going to take sides here it's Macc who I'm siding with. Macc is also looking out for the interests of jets while Darnold is looking out for himself (which is his right). 

Here's a little bit of 'fact' to help people along.

https://frontofficenfl.com/2017/03/27/nfl-rookie-contracts-explained-fifth-year-option/

Every player selected in the first round of the NFL Draft will automatically have a Fifth-Year Option added in his contract. This option cannot be separately attached to the player contract. The option allows a team to retain a player’s rights for five years rather than the standard four, which is the bonus of selecting a player in the first round. In order to extend the contract, the team must inform the player during the period between the last regular season game of his third contract year and May 3 of the next League Year (Art. 7, Sec. 7, (a), 31).

The Fifth-Year Option is non-negotiable, and the non-compensation terms from a player’s rookie contract will be transferred to the fifth year. Many terms allowed in other contracts are prohibited from being added into the Fifth-Year Option. These terms include Option Bonuses, Option Exercise Fees, option Non-Exercise fees, Option Buyouts, or any other compensation that stems from the team exercising or declining the Fifth-year option (Sec. 7 (d), 31).

Archived