Now I’m genuinely aggravated!

Lupz27

7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

That would be so short-slighted by Darnold.  He would be better off having the franchise tag available.  Look at how much money Kirk Cousins made from being franchised.  If Darnold is a legit top 5-6 QB in the league at the end of 4 years, he’ll get his deal.  If he’s kind of a middle of the pack QB and hasn’t a great 4 years and the Jets aren’t willing or can’t reach a longer term deal then having the tag available for a year or two would be beneficial for Darnold.  

To me, Darnold and his team worrying about offsets sets a bad precedent in that they are planning on contingencies if Darnold isn’t the player the Jets believe they drafted.  They are almost saying, “hey, there is a good chance my client isn’t going to work out for you, so we want him to be able to profit from failing here”.  

maybe short-sighted, but may be the real issue here.  He doesn't want to be here any longer than he has to.  By strong-arming the team to waive its right to Franchise him after his 5th year option is complete, Sam insures that he can "Escape from New York" in no more than 5 years.  He can't be stuck here for a 6th and potentially a 7th year ala Cousins.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

owner believes he is a franchise altering player. 

""I think people are going to look back 20 years from now and say that this is the moment that the Jets shifted into a new gear and became a great team," 

but... the guys doing the contract are SOJs.

anyway, someone was sayn Jet fans needa sac up. I agree.

All the whingeing is unmanly.whingers-gonna-whinge-whinge-whinge-whin

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

Where did you see that?  Haven’t seen anything to that affect from any reporter.  

Mike Garofolo reported it yesterday.  I will see if I can find the clip.

Edit - that didn't take long, here is the clip.

Just now, Dcat said:

maybe short-sighted, but may be the real issue here.  He doesn't want to be here any longer than he has to.  By strong-arming the team to waive its right to Franchise him after his 5th year option is complete, Sam insures that he can "Escape from New York" in no more than 5 years.  He can't be stuck here for a 6th and potentially a 7th year ala Cousins.

As far as I know, I don’t think I’ve seen a rookie first round pick have that clause put into his contract.  If Darnold is willing to sit while his agent tries to break some “glass ceiling” in rookie negotiations, then I really question Sam’s decision making already.  

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

That’s encouraging at least.  He needs to set an ultimatum however.  Drop dead date.  

Drop dead date he should have set already passed, but I agree.  Tough for a 21-year old kid to take charge of a negotiation, but he needs to tell Sexton that he needs to be in camp this weekend and the contract has to be done.  Today.

#1 Mayfield has offset language.  #2 Barkely has offset language.  #4 Ward has offset language.  It shouldn't be this hard.

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

As far as I know, I don’t think I’ve seen a rookie first round pick have that clause put into his contract.  If Darnold is willing to sit while his agent tries to break some “glass ceiling” in rookie negotiations, then I really question Sam’s decision making already.  

Who knows?  I'm just speculating here because, quite frankly, a hold out over "offset" language is completely illogical considering it is mostly a moot point for a kid like Darnold.  I'm just figuring the hold-up... er... "hold-out"... has to be over something much bigger than that.  Because a hold out over offset language is just flat out stupid, IMO.

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Drop dead date he should have set already passed, but I agree.  Tough for a 21-year old kid to take charge of a negotiation, but he needs to tell Sexton that he needs to be in camp this weekend and the contract has to be done.  Today.

#1 Mayfield has offset language.  #2 Barkely has offset language.  #4 Ward has offset language.  It shouldn't be this hard.

yeah... if that's the real issue, which everyone is assuming.  I think it's something else.

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Look, if Allen and Mayfield did it then Darnold needs to.  This laid back surfer dude attitude needs to show some urgency and balls, Sexton works for him. Sam should say “ I’m practicing today, make it happen now”. 

That’s encouraging at least.  He needs to set an ultimatum however.  Drop dead date.  
Agree ... Sexton is scrambling after Mayfield and Allen demanded a deal to get them into camp day 1.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Who knows?  I'm just speculating here because, quite frankly, a hold out over "offset" language is completely illogical considering it is mostly a moot point for a kid like Darnold.  I'm just figuring the hold-up... er... "hold-out"... has to be over something much bigger than that.  Because a hold out over offset language is just flat out stupid, IMO.
What could it possibly be ????? The money is already gaurnteed.

7 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

What could it possibly be ????? The money is already gaurnteed.

Maybe the Jets promising not to Franchise Tag Darnold after his 5th year?  Darnold doesn't want to be here maybe?  He sure looked miserable when the Jets drafted him.  He figured he was going to the Giants probably.  

Jets get no love from anyone.  Not even their own fans. 

17 hours ago, slats said:

You're really taking a hard stance without knowing any details. 

Darnold has no reason to accept the same terms that Mayfield did at #1. I like Baker as a prospect, but there's also video of him running from police en route to getting arrested. He really didn't have much of an argument not to accept offset language, and the team that drafted Johnny Manziel was likely to push for it. So what's happening this year is kinda special circumstances. 

If this is really about offset language (as everyone including Mehta assumes), then it's pretty hard to ignore the obvious.  It's reasonably apparent to me at least, that this is entirely on Darnold/Sexton.  Not even the Jets could possibly be that nonsensical.  So yeah... I am taking a 'hard stance', one which I believe is very reasonable and likely.  100% certainty?  Nope... but way over 50% for me.  

16 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Can't have it both ways:  Can't credibly get people to believe that your agent is forcing this on you.  You are the client. You can tell him what to do and if he doesn't do it, fire the guy.

1 minute ago, Bruce Harper said:

Can't have it both ways:  Can't credibly get people to believe that your agent is forcing this on you.  You are the client. You can tell him what to do and if he doesn't do it, fire the guy.

I agree.  That’s why I think if this goes beyond today then anything Darnold says about not wanting to hold out is pure B.S.   

2 minutes ago, kels1327 said:

I don't see why people are saying it's something else. Everything reported so far says it's all because of offset language. Just plain stupid. 

Its not everybody, its one.  And he thinks Darnold was miserable because the Jets drafted him and doesnt want to be here. Even when anybody who watched the draft would never say that. 

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Its not everybody, its one.  And he thinks Darnold was miserable because the Jets drafted him and doesnt want to be here. Even when anybody who watched the draft would never say that. 

I definitely wouldn't. He looked happy as a pig in sh*t that he was coming to NY 

11 minutes ago, kels1327 said:

I don't see why people are saying it's something else. Everything reported so far says it's all because of offset language. Just plain stupid. 

because a hold out over offset language in a situation where offset language is highly unlikely to ever apply at all just makes no sense.  This leads to speculation over what else it could be.  Everyone, including Mehta, is assuming this is over offset language, but these are just assumptions because neither the Jets nor Sexton/Darnold have declared what, exactly, the sticking issue really is.  Maybe those assumptions are correct, maybe not.  But if it is something else, then what could it be?  Just speculating that it just might be over waiving the club's right to Franchise Tag Sam after his 5th year.  

Maybe the Jets promising not to Franchise Tag Darnold after his 5th year?  Darnold doesn't want to be here maybe?  He sure looked miserable when the Jets drafted him.  He figured he was going to the Giants probably.  
Jets get no love from anyone.  Not even their own fans. 

He never tried to manipulate where he was going. Never threatened the Browns. I guess he loved the idea of going there?? Why didn’t he pull an Eli?? This is first I’ve ever heard anything like this

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

31 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Exactly. At this point Im thinking he wiil just save a step and shoot himself out of town now.

17 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Look, if Allen and Mayfield did it then Darnold needs to.  This laid back surfer dude attitude needs to show some urgency and balls, Sexton works for him. Sam should say “ I’m practicing today, make it happen now”. 

Agreed.  If he were my son, I would be telling him to do exactly that. Get your ass into camp. You are a 21-year old kid who is expected to gain the respect of a team of veterans and be their leader and the face of the franchise. You can't gain any respect if you are not there. You can't win a starting job by holding out. You need every practice rep you can get. You have done nothing as a pro.  Two days ago was time for you to be an adult and call your agent and tell him to make sure you are signed before camp starts. You are about to sign a contract that will guarantee you $20 million plus by the time you turn 25. More money than most of us will see in a lifetime. Just sign the fcking deal already.

But he is not my son, so I won't tell him that.

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Exactly. At this point Im thinking he wiil just save a step and shoot himself out of town now.

The offsets theory just doesn’t make any sense, it seems too minor. 

Something else may be afoot here. That’s the logic. 

SAR I

14 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Exactly. Darnold can end this right now. 

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Maybe its the agent? If that's the case then Sam needs to man up and fire his ass to get with his team now!

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I really don't know, but it is unfathomable that all this could be over offset language that is highly unlikely to ever apply.  Mehta and everone else, including myself, are just speculating.  Nobody knows what the sticking point is other than we all know it isn't over contract salary or signing bonus. 

I believe the current CBA expires in 2020, before Sam's contract will be up.  The NFLPA can work on Franchise Tags then and probably will try.  It seems a little extreme to risk tanking your entire first season over this (or anything really) that will probably get modified on the larger canvass in 2 years.  But hey, maybe I'm being too logical.

Archived