Draft Elimination RND 1; L.I. LEPRECHAUN vs BigO

Paradis

Draft Elimination RND 1; L.I. LEPRECHAUN vs Big O  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this match in a virtual universe where these two teams meet?

• Long Island Leprechaun
    • Big 0

16 hours ago, HessStation said:

Plus Marino throwing to Berry, maybe greatest hands ever, Alworth the ultimate weapon yards per catch and then Swann to make all the amazing tough ones. I don’t think Lep’s DBs would fair well. In contrast Willy Brown on Brown and Tunnell on Winslow could potentially neutralize the two stars well enough. Match up wise I’m really befuddled at the lopsided votes  

In defense of my corners (no pun intended), they were both high level players and they were physically imposing as well. Cornell Green was 6'3" and 208, Louis Wright was 6'2" and 200. Many pro bowls between them.

“They use a term today of shutdown cornerback." "We didn't have that term back then, but Louie Wright was a shutdown cornerback. He was a great run defender. He played the left side and in those days most teams were right-handed and their running plays usually went to our left side.” Joe Collier

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Lions also had a nasty defense back in the early to mid 60's. Karras, Roger Brown, Night Train Lane and company. Do you remember Big Daddy Lipscomb... became a wrestler after football... LOL.

Yes I do but vaguely. In researching the ole skool players, a number of them had to play both ways and many were wrestlers also. Tough SOB’s. 

31 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

In defense of my corners (no pun intended), they were both high level players and they were physically imposing as well. Cornell Green was 6'3" and 208, Louis Wright was 6'2" and 200. Many pro bowls between them.

“They use a term today of shutdown cornerback." "We didn't have that term back then, but Louie Wright was a shutdown cornerback. He was a great run defender. He played the left side and in those days most teams were right-handed and their running plays usually went to our left side.” Joe Collier

Louis Wright and Albert Lewis would be an awesome tandem together of bigtime underrated CBs probably ever imo. But Lewis is tandemed with Champ, which is absolutely sick imo. I had to check up on Green, who seemed like a really good CB, but when we are talking about this kind of echelon of teams, they’re a little weak as a tandem. Wright would have been killer as a #2 but he’s kind of your #1 here. 

42 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Louis Wright and Albert Lewis would be an awesome tandem together of bigtime underrated CBs probably ever imo. But Lewis is tandemed with Champ, which is absolutely sick imo. I had to check up on Green, who seemed like a really good CB, but when we are talking about this kind of echelon of teams, they’re a little weak as a tandem. Wright would have been killer as a #2 but he’s kind of your #1 here. 

Yup. That's a fair assessment. My corners are my weakest element against a strong passing attack -- not bad by any means, but not elite. As run stoppers and tackling machines, my secondary is very good. They were all terrific hitters -- Cliff Harris, Dave Duerson, Green and Wright. Robertson and Bell in coverage were outstanding for linebackers --both ran around a 4.5 for big guys and had good hands. Hank Stramm once said about Bell that he could have played any position on the team and played it well. He was a consummate athlete.

I'm not looking forward to facing Moss and Owens. That will be challenging match up for my Pecarries.

2 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Yup. That's a fair assessment. My corners are my weakest element against a strong passing attack -- not bad by any means, but not elite. As run stoppers and tackling machines, my secondary is very good. They were all terrific hitters -- Cliff Harris, Dave Duerson, Green and Wright. Robertson and Bell in coverage were outstanding for linebackers --both ran around a 4.5 for big guys and had good hands. Hank Stramm once said about Bell that he could have played any position on the team and played it well. He was a consummate athlete.

I'm not looking forward to facing Moss and Owens. That will be challenging match up for my Pecarries.

AHA! ? ?

Archived