Mogglez

Jets New Uniforms: MERGED ***Leak Date 4/3/19***

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Maybe I'm the only one but I really like the current helmet.  I think the oval logo is still relatively modern while at the same time harkening back to the team's greatest era in the late 60's.  I'd be fine with other changes, a reversion to kelly green from hunter green, etc. but I'd like to see some nod or acknowledgement to the team's history.

Also, are the Steelers too cheap to put their logo on BOTH sides of their helmet? :D 

Sorry, but I design identities/logos for a living and this logo is anything but modern. It's old in it's design and execution. It's roots are in the 60's.

I can't disagree more with this order [in joewilly's post]. This guy has zero design taste or skill in identifying what works and what doesn't. Shockingly bad attempt and putting the teams in order based on overall design.

bright green and light blue are majorly different - I would think trying to sell bright green merchandising would be much tougher. It would need to be an accent color if they want to use it. They need to be aware of which colors look dated and which colors do not. Kelly green - that bright green - screams 60s and 70s. Kids would not want the main color of the uniform to look old and dated. They would never use this color as the main color if they are using a professional design firm.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

I get it I just don't have to agree with it. Personal choice. 

I am in the process of getting a Darnold and Adams jersey current style and color. 

I wont wear futuristic alien space colors or heed to change just to make the Johnson brothers rich. 

Bad enough we haven't won anything in 50 years but the organization decides to go full funkadelic on our uniforms. 

NO THANKS 

I hope they aren't putrid and at least keep it toned down enough to where we don't look like we really should be in the XFL or CFL. 

You make a great case for a complete overhaul- we haven’t won anything in 50 years. I can’t wait to finally have a nice uniform and not something that looks 50 years old and that is poorly designed.

• Thumb Down 1

14 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Putting a fighter Jet on the logo doesn't seem right because the origin of the nickname Jets was the passenger jets approaching/leaving LaGuardia airport.

You’re being too literal I think. Having a mean Jet sets a tone - better than a friendly jet.

18 minutes ago, Lego My Lageman said:

I have this as a stuffed animal from my childhood and gave it to one of my kids.

me too!

• Like 1

If you watched the video regarding new uniforms on the Jets site, it says basically says it will be something completely new - no existing or old logo that has been recycled. So you can basically kiss the old oval logo goodbye, as well as any older version. I think there is some confusion regarding new uniforms and new logo. It looks like both will be new.

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

This might finally do what 35+ years of losing couldn't, and finally sever my love for the Jets.

I don't live in NY, I haven't for 30+ years now.  I have no ties to that city.  I have every reason, logically (lol), to abandon this franchise for one closer to home, that I could go see games easily, watch on local TV, get local sports media reporting on, etc.

I don't because of history, and my original, juvenille, love of the green and white New York Jets.

Frankly, they truly fubar this uniform and logo thing, and produce some black+grey+neon chartreuse monstrosity.......I might just say f' it, and be a Reds....oh, right. :(

Damned if I do, damned if I don't I guess. 

I don't recall anyone adding this tidbit, but if you had to pick one color that represents New York City, it would be black. It's always been black. It's urban, edgy, etc. It's the most associated color with the city and no other color (absence of color) is close. Now I realize we aren't in NYC, but you can hardly blame New Yorkers for wanting black. I would be shocked if there wasn't any green though. A lighter green would pop off the black, that's for sure.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, heymangold said:

literally would change my favorite team if these were the new uniforms.

You do realize it’s an old Jets logo, right? Did you stop following in the 80’s? 🙄

• Haha 1

not sure if this was mentioned, but did you notice the design on the podium at the news conference? It had a really bright green, an oval with the Jets inside, but more of a brush stroke oval black - looks like a bright green and black are a really good bet.

On 12/26/2018 at 11:43 AM, slats said:

The least interesting thing they could add would be gray or black. 

I suspect they're going with the second least interesting thing and adding a second, brighter green to the hunter. 

Black would be the MOST interesting color to add - it would pop a kelly green more than any other color. I'll say it again, New York is defined by the color BLACK! Black is urban, tough and cool all in one. It's about time the Jets used it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, slats said:

This is true. One of the reasons they originally went to the green helmets was to differentiate them from every other team in the division which, at that time, also had white helmets. So Richard Todd, instead of not being able to tell his teammates from his opponent now couldn't tell his teammates from the field. 

Maybe that is why the helmets will be bright green. The field turf and grass is not bright green. They will stand out if properly accented with black, white, silver, whatever. I still think black helmets with bright green in the logo and stripes is on the table. No-one knows for sure if the helmets will be green.

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

Actually, he does. 

I am on the Fan Advisory Board and during the meeting we had in Florham Park back in July I was allowed one question in front of Chris Johnson and the enture executive team and asked about the possibility of new uniforms. Though it wasn’t made official at the time in answering my question they hinted to the group it was coming soon. 

I then interjected that the reason for my question was to tell them they had to stick with the white helmets and avoid the 80’s logo like the plague because Jets fans couldn’t bear to see a quarterback wearing #14 in an all-green uniform again, mentioned AJ Duhe with the crowd agreeing, and I saw Neil Glat glance at Chris Johnson with an “I told you so” nod and finger point which led me to believe we are sticking with white helmets. 

SAR I

I'm sure they heard you but it doesn't mean they would actually change their opinions of a design they like because of what you said. They may make it a talking point, but if it interferes with an amazing design I hope they ignore it. I've done this for many years and the worst thing that can happen is if they compromise a great design because of too many cooks. How about you take this out, change this color and don't forget about that thing from the 80s - and oh yeah, try to combine both of these concepts if you can. Then all you get is a watered down design that appeals to no-one. The designers, especially if they work for the NFL, which I think they do, will have done lots of research on the history of the team before the designs were submitted. The Jets will be able to notice mistakes or historical things they may have overlooked. If the #14 is so bad in Jets history, have Sam change his number!

32 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

It isn't very unique. Very Eagles-esque. 

50 minutes ago, funaz said:

Another render l, probably fan made based on the leaked jersey.

I know people don't like them but the leaked jersey is.most.likely real. These pants and helmet are definitely not real but it gives an idea what it could look like.fdf07bf80d30d17cca22f87153520b44.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Too much green - black helmet with green face mask would be better and look less like Philly

2 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

First off those UNIS can't be real because they're atrocious and an absolute downgrade. Second who is actually in charge of the final decision Christopher Johnson? And who is he getting input from ..Jamal Adams? Wouldn't it be a better idea to put out like 10 possible designs and let the fans vote on it since we're the ones buying the gear and merchandise?

Worst thing they could do is let the fans vote. I would like to see a bit less green though - one item could be white or black. They are crisp, modern and conceptual - can't say that about our current uni's. 

42 minutes ago, viffer said:

No, it's called market research, and every large company, and most medium or even small companies, do it all the time.  Do you think a multi billion dollar company risks a major product introduction on the whim of the CEO?  No, they typically hire market research firms to poll the target market.

Marketing 101.

And those good ol' focus groups, which if the companies went by the results, would have kept the car from being mass marketed because a horse and buggy was just fine (true story), would have never accepted the Absolute Vodka bottle which is now iconic, and I don't have time to go into it all. They aren't used as much these days.

21 minutes ago, F00tballGuy69 said:

These are the best I've seen yet.  I would love for them to use that logo.    

I agree - best yet by far - the logo is an N and flipped is a Y. Also, I see a 3D sky scraper  in the middle - whole thing together is like a skyline, and a Jet to boot.  Very nice- it’s just the helmet is a cop out as it’s not original at all - at least try to implement the logo or logo elements in it.

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

While I believe in the Jets, and Nike, and the fashion capital of New York driving a great new uniform.....

You are right in that no NFL team has flipped from its classic look to something completely modern and had it turn out better than the original.  I'm not talking about a minor tweak.  I'm talking about a complete redesign.

Can you name even one?

SAR I

Yep - the Pats are way better now than the old fashioned threads with the ugly patriot. Dolphins change was minor - but that was a nice improvement on the logo. You can say that the newer teams, the teams that were starting from scratch, for the most part have better logos than the older teams. The Ravens logo, Jaguars logo (not uni), Titans logo - they are all products of modern graphic design. Again, not talking about the uniforms, which are very different. Also, the Broncos new version is much better stylistically. When the older teams logos were created, graphic design majors were not yet a thing in college, and there were no graphic design jobs as we know them today. It was often an illustrator, architect, ad person, etc. that came up with the designs.

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

usp_nfl__new_york_jets_at_new_england_pa

Neither version of the Patriots modern uniform looks as good as the AFL original.  Hate the team, love the uni.

SAR I

Disagree - too detailed to be effective on a helmet - much prefer the stylized minute man. Hate that it represents a dynasty though.

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Bucs and Titans uniforms look so XFL and Vince McMahon

Bucs and Titans uniforms represent modern graphic design and not outdated design like most NFL uniforms. It’s OK to actually use a design that is conceptual and stylish and exciting. I’m confident Nike and the Jets get this.

16 hours ago, Ghost said:

I’d love if that was the green!! 

If that is the green then black is definitely a major part of the new uni's, you can take that to the bank. There aren't many colors that bright of a green go well with - gray is not one of them unless there is another color somewhere.

14 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

So by the looks of it, we are keeping the same logo. I thought / was hoping we were getting new logos / brand / uniforms.

not a chance - there will be a new logo and new uni's 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, BroadwayBen said:

D979C2B4-2284-480D-B725-FB2E5416E916.jpeg

These are still my favorite mock's i've seen. Really want something along the lines of this but it doesn't seem likely. Either Grey/Black are destined to be in there. 

would be very disappointed with these - not original in the least and why tease us so much and then givie us a similar look to what we have. I really hope it's something modern and completely different like the reddit designs that were leaked or there would be no need for the Jets to jump through hoops with the league. These uni's probably could have been passed in a year I'm guessing. If you squint, the helmets look exactly the same as what we have now.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

BTW this all could've been avoided if they had just slightly lightened / brightened the god damn green and left everything else alone

Just no. Our logo is terrible and uni's not much better. After our Super Bowl it represents a whole lot of losing. I for one hope it's a huge change and represents the Jets better from a design standpoint. The bigger the change the better, as long as green is somehow involved. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Mogglez said:

You're almost 100% wrong.  The "leak" you saw, and are mentioning, was proven fake a long time ago.  It was a photoshopped image of Ziggy Ansah from the Lions Uniform reveal.

Well, you could be 100% wrong. As a designer for the last 19 years, we always use images like the Ansah image (which only certain people would know based on that photo) just to show the designs. That image is basically a silhouette that you can put your designs on. At the conceptual stage that is exactly what we are looking for. To launch the new design we would make sure anything we used was associated with the Jets, but at the conceptual sketch stage, that image is perfect.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Gibby said:

This POS is someone's idea of a sick joke. It's been kicking around the internet for quite some time. They would be laughed out of the building in worse than high school garbage.

Statements like this make me wonder - what exactly is your design background? It is a solid mockup and solid concept for at least a spring board of what it could become. It's your personal opinion, but what is it based on? It's much better than what we have from a design standpoint - not even close. What we have now has zero concept - with no connection to our name or New York. At least this has a connection to our name. That immediately makes it better. Nostalgia doesn't make a design better. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

How do you get around copyright/IP rights when "borrowing" other peoples work like that?  Don't ask, don't publish, don't tell?

If it was already used by the firm you can just ask the client if you could use it again. If it's non descript it wouldn't really matter. You can use it for design concepts and when the actual design has been selected create one with a Jets player. I would design it as an illustration first and then Photoshop it on a photo like that later. Also, stock imagery has very similar photos of players that could be purchased for a few bucks. I tend to go that route and then Photoshop on them. We normally don't have football players in uniforms at our disposal. Nike must have a collection of NFL Stock images they have the rights to use.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Could be. I didn't say it was impossible.  Look, I actually like that uniform concept, However, the graphic designer situation was the 1% chance I referenced that might be the truth.  It's just unlikely.  It's also telling that the person who "discovered" it, deleted their account after being called out.  Also, it still doesn't explain the fact that the NFL 100 logo is not the actual logo the NFL is using, the colors of the Nike swoosh in the "NFL shop image" and the Ansah image don't match, or the fact that the Jets/Robby Anderson just ordered a custom Kiwi Green car, a color that matches up with the color schemes and "word of mouth" leaks that we've heard about.  In the recent video, we can also see what looks like stripes on the shoulders.  This concept doesn't have that.

Yep, you make a lot of good points. The concept could be right and the colors different. That Eagles comment has me thinking it was the leaked image from Reddit. All the more reason to delete the account. Also, from the conceptual stage it wouldn't be unusual to miss the secondary logo stuff which isn't important at that stage. When a design has been selected I then do a color study, which would have around 10 or more different color combos. Nobody knows, but we do know one guy saw them and it reminds him of the Eagles - most likely a comment about the helmet.

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Im sticking with this...........just ordered 5 of them. 

Image result for NEW YORK JETS HAT

Thanks! I hope this logo disappears for the most part. Talk about a mark of futility. The only time I want to see this logo again is on a Namath, Maynard, Boozer, or any of the Super Bowl III guys. Otherwise, it has always been an epic fail from a design standpoint. I mean, what designer worth their salt would not have anything to do with New York or the Jets when given the chance to design a logo for a major sports team. I would love to see the different concepts that came floating across the meeting room before they settled on these. But then again, graphic design was never thought of as a job description at that time. I remember seeing the original design at an AIGA exhibit (American Institute of Graphic Design) about 20 years ago in Manhattan. It was one of the worst designs in the exhibit, but cool to see for nostalgic reasons.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Yes because this ugly logo is so much better. LOL yea right! 

Image result for jets logo pics

Never mentioned that logo - but if you think the existing logo is better than one that actually makes sense I don’t think you understand how professional designers approach a logo design project. It’s just as much about the idea as it is about the aesthetic. That is an old logo, so I’m not sure why you brought that one up. I hope the new logo is well thought out in addition to looking good or it will fail IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

This team is amazing. The one thing most of us agreed on was liking our uniforms. So what do they do? Change them.

Now who knows, they might come out great, but why would you change the one thing about you everyone likes?

Um, no. Our logo is really bad and the uni's are meh. I wouldn't rule out black as a dominant color - it goes really well with a brighter green, gray not so much. 

6 hours ago, y2k8 said:

As with anything involving the NY Jets, always best to follow a strict policy of hoping for the best while expecting the worst.  

Lowered expectations lead to sometimes being pleasantly surprised...  

As for your feedback, Seahawk-esque uniforms can mean a lot of different things from design, to color use, etc.  Not knowing what he is specifically responding to might translate into not being a complete disaster.  We shall see.

Exactly - more often than not it is such a personal identification of something that many people would never see.

38 minutes ago, greasyt said:

Could this be the helmet?  It's white and the lettering kind of matches up with dissected images in the video.

[âIMG]

where did you find that design?

Not sure this has been added in this thread, but whether the new design is successful really has very little to do with whether a person likes it or not. There is such a thing as good design and bad design which has nothing to do with preconceived notions or personal taste of a particular fan/person. If the concept is strong and colors and typography work with the overall design and uniform, then it is well done. If the colors and type don't go with the style of the logo and how it's applied to the uniform and it doesn't say NY or the Jets in a conceptual way (like our existing uni's), then it's a fail. The uni's can be judged based on design merit, not just on personal taste or whether a guy that is stuck on the traditional look will buy a jersey. That guy's kid is probably more of the target market than he is at this point. And yes, they will pick a design that appeals to MOST people - I would think that is a major factor.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company