Mogglez

Jets New Uniforms: MERGED ***Leak Date 4/3/19***

6 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

guess they are growing on my but

as good a place as any, really

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, joebabyny said:

The jerseys the players are wearing are NOT the jerseys being sold on the jets shop, it is not a difference of lighting or camera.

from instagram

54511154_720842994977991_459309464577371

from jets shop

ff_3304683-31100bdee32e38fa2169alt1_full

On the Jets shop you can even click the pic and zoom in, seeing there is no stitching around the letters, numbers, fabric patches etc. Maybe they will come out with a game authentic, but there isn't one yet. I am disappointed there is not one available on release.

That dull green is absolutely HORRIBLE. The jersey on Adams in your post looks awesome. I think we have to see these guys on the field. 

4 hours ago, Jet9 said:

These are actually really well done. Only thing I don't like is the whole idea of a black jersey/uniform just because it's been done to death in sports overall. That said, it's still a nice jersey. Love the helmet, though the logo took about 24 hours for me to come around on. Didn't like it at first on the leaked pics. I get what they're going for though. I'm probably in the minority on the 'NEW YORK' part of the jersey but I like that too, actually. It's bold. Not in love with the shoulder accent/whatever thing but it might grow on me. That's my fashion review. Gonna go back to wearing a zip-up Adidas hoodie and board shorts on my couch now. 

+1 on the hoodie and shorts

point if clarification, you like them, but they are not well done. It is not good design, and illustrates that it doesn’t need to be in order to be likeable.😃

The upside is this, the Pats introduced some of the ugliest arena league unis ever ... and sparked a dynasty. 

At least ours don’t look like arena league unis.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

https://twitter.com/UniWatch/status/1113962580308045825?s=20

This is a great comparison. The more I look at these unis the less I like them. Especially the helmet.

I don’t watch college or Canadian football so similarity to their team’s uniforms makes absolutely no impression on me, we could have copied North Texas (who?) to the letter and I couldn’t care less. 

Do the Jets new uniforms look good?  That’s the only question that needs answering.  They do.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Spotlight White...nice. Maybe lil something on sleeve??

Maybe it's just me....but taking a shade of green and calling it "Gotham green" is sorta corny

10 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Are you projecting?

Leave it alone.. Beaver? lol.

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

This is total nonsense.

You apparently can make it up

Around 6:40 AM this morning, Boomer and Gio on WFAN discussing how the green helmets blend into the turf and how former Jets Qbs have expressed this . My apologies, I forgot to mention that Namath has expressed it also........ 

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

I just re-watched the Uniform Reveal on YouTube.  Skipped to just the players walking on stage.  Muted Smoove.

You know what?  I think our uniforms are awesome.  I really do.  I believe firmly that they are the nicest modern uniform Nike has created in the NFL. 

When you get away from all the noise and the whining, you will find that the shoulder contrails are very special and look very dominant and different at many angles, the chromed green helmets are ridiculously dynamic, the New York script across the chest is proportionally designed, and that helmet decal is f-ing cool.

Watch the video a few more times.  Turn the sound off.  It's a very cool uniform.  I may violate my own rule and buy the black one.  I think it's quite special.

SAR I

No. They're not. Truth is they are embarrassing. Just awful.

1 minute ago, neckdemon said:

Maybe it's just me....but taking a shade of green and calling it "Gotham green" is sorta corny

IMG_1106.thumb.JPG.90b74622ea91ac68dd7afb20fbf1123e.JPG

So true.

This is total nonsense.
You apparently can make it up

Yup and I just heard Boomer on his morning show saying this claim was 100% false. He never said that and said the green was fine - no issues.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Ghost said:

That dull green is absolutely HORRIBLE. The jersey on Adams in your post looks awesome. I think we have to see these guys on the field. 

And neither of those are what we saw on the stream.

25 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I don’t watch college or Canadian football so similarity to their team’s uniforms makes absolutely no impression on me, we could have copied North Texas (who?) to the letter and I could care less. 

Do the Jets new uniforms look good?  That’s the only question that needs answering.  They do.

SAR I

It is couldn’t care less.  Saying you could care less means you care a lot.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

It’s an old branding trick to make it appear like your creative team rioted the recommendation in a high concept, usually used on projects with minimal brand equity and/or creative control has been ceded to the client. In our case both.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Butterfield said:

It is couldn’t care less.  Saying you could care less means you care a lot.  

SAR is just leaning into the contrarian angle. Doubt he cares one way or the other about unis, but since vocal outcry is negative he’s going positive to troll.

Look good, not great, bottom line. Guess they could be worse. Winning is all that matters.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Look good, not great, bottom line. Guess they could be worse. Winning is all that matters.

It’s not like we have bright ass colors and a dolphin on our Jersey 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Gibby said:

No. They're not. Truth is they are embarrassing. Just awful.

Just a difference of opinion, that’s cool. It’s subjective, there is no right or wrong answer. 

SAR I

• Like 2

Anyone want to buy Nicks house?

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

SAR is just leaning into the contrarian angle. Doubt he cares one way or the other about unis, but since vocal outcry is negative he’s going positive to troll.

That’s a terrible and unnecessary thing to say. I am genuinely pleased with the result. 

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

Aside from being a totally uneeded redo of a perfectly fine uniform its not bad.

For me the best part of it is the New York on chest. At least people calling them the New Jersey Jets can STFU now.

Our stadium, headquarters, and half our fan base are literally all in NJ. Makes that large obnoxious text even dumber. 

Just a difference of opinion, that’s cool. It’s subjective, there is no right or wrong answer. 
SAR I
Woke up this morning with fresh eyes .. I like 'em.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

Woke up this morning with fresh eyes .. I like 'em.

Same for me, only it happened late last night.  I went from thinking they were acceptable to thinking we have the best modern Nike uniforms in the NFL.  Maybe tied with the Chargers, but there are so many blue teams they really don’t look so unique.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, joebabyny said:

The jerseys the players are wearing are NOT the jerseys being sold on the jets shop, it is not a difference of lighting or camera.

from instagram

54511154_720842994977991_459309464577371

from jets shop

ff_3304683-31100bdee32e38fa2169alt1_full

On the Jets shop you can even click the pic and zoom in, seeing there is no stitching around the letters, numbers, fabric patches etc. Maybe they will come out with a game authentic, but there isn't one yet. I am disappointed there is not one available on release.

Yup.  This is what I’m saying. This is going to be *extra* embarrassing. 

The more I see the uniforms, the more I think they are the epitome of the jets brand.  No plan, uncoordinated, mismatched, unprofessional and not detail oriented.  Just like the team itself.

33 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Around 6:40 AM this morning, Boomer and Gio on WFAN discussing how the green helmets blend into the turf and how former Jets Qbs have expressed this . My apologies, I forgot to mention that Namath has expressed it also........ 

And the eagles with green helmets won a super bowl regardless? Wow

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That’s a terrible and unnecessary thing to say. I am genuinely pleased with the result. 

SAR I

You are a fanboy.  You’d be pleased with anything they made.

The more I see the uniforms, the more I think they are the epitome of the jets brand.  No plan, uncoordinated, mismatched, unprofessional and not detail oriented.

Disagree ... The shoulder swooshes reflect wings and the colors are fine ... New York branding is cool ... And I live in Jersey for the record. ... Helmet .. color is cool ... They tried to pay homage to past using the 80s font ... But that is the weekest part imho.

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Disagree ... The shoulder swooshes reflect wings abd the colors are fine ... New York branding is cool ... And I live in Jersey for the record. ... Helmet .. color is cool ... They tried to pay homage to past using the 80s font ... But that is the weekest part imho.

To each, their own.  Lots of people buy clothes at walmart and are happy with that too.  

To each, their own.  Lots of people buy clothes at walmart and are happy with that too.  

Agreed ... Totally subjective ... Sales will tell the ultimate tale ...

... Some people shop at Supreme and Nordstrom too.

Full Uni-Watch review linked and quoted below.  I agree with almost everything he says here, except I would have deducted a lot more from the helmet grade due to the poor helmet logo.

What I agree with:

Love the new shade of green

Love the metallic green helmet

I like the formal new logo....but not the logo as put on the helmet. 

Not a fan of the black outlining and the black face mask.

Hate the "New York" across over the numbers.

Hate the black alternates, like he says, and like I said before, black alts are PLAYED OUT.  It's the cheap, easy way out and a way to drum up new jersey sales.  

If someone on this board has better photoshopping skills, I would love to see the black alts changed to a gunmetal grey alternate. 

The good news is, a lot of the things I personally don't like (facemask color, New York over the numbers etc.) could be easily changed without much fanfare down the road.  Hell, they could come up with a grey alternate in the next couple of years just to sell more jerseys. (I think the NFL only allows one alternate jersey per year)  I'm hoping this uniform is the start of something that will be subtly modified over the next couple of years.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/04/new-york-jets-new-uniforms-redesign-grades

By PAUL LUKAS 
April 04, 2019

After months of anticipation and a late-breaking but unverified leak that stirred up a lot of reaction when it began circulating on Wednesday morning, New York Jets fans finally know what their team's new uniforms will look like.

And it turns out that the leak was accurate. The Jets' new uni set, unveiled on Thursday night at an event in Manhattan, swaps out the team's longtime old-school look and replaces it with a sleeker, more modern design. The effect isn't as radical as some of the other recent NFL redesigns—no digital alarm clock numbers like the Buccaneers', and no big, honking wordmark on the pants like the Browns'—but it's still significant makeover.

Before we get to Gang Green's new look, here's a quick history refresher: The Jets have had three major uniform eras so far. The first, which ran from 1965 through 1977, featured the team's signature football-shaped helmet logo and contrast-colored sleeves. This is the look that Joe Namath wore while guiding the Jets to victory in Super Bowl III. The Jets then pivoted to a new design from 1978 through 1997, the period defined by the New York Sack Exchange. And then in 1998, they went back to the Namath-era design, with a few minor modifications, and maintained it up through last season.

But now the Jets are primed for their next uniform chapter. Here's one observer's initial reactions to their new look, one element at a time (with the usual caveat that we won't really have a full read on the uniforms until we see them on the field).

THE NEW COLOR SCHEME

Back in the 1960s and ’70s, the Jets wore a bright, Kelly-like shade of green. Over the years it's gotten darker (plus Nike has had problems rendering it consistently across the various uni elements).

The good news is that the new set goes back to a brighter shade of green that looks sensational. The bad news is that it has added black as an accent color on the jersey numbers, the facemask and a new alternate uni, all of which seems ill-advised.

In an interview shortly before the unveiling, Jets team president Neil Glat said the new green is designed to look better on television, where the old green often looked drab. As for the black, he said team ownership was interested in finding a third color in addition to green and white, and that the Jets explored several other color options, which he declined to name, before settling on black. The feeling here is that the black is a misstep. Still, the new green is a winner. Grade: B+

Side-by-side comparison of Jets' old and new shades of green. Old version on left, new on right.

THE NEW LOGO

The Jets have preserved the feel of their old logo with a judicious update. The "New York" lettering is much clearer than the old "NY" outlining, and the new logo oval is more clearly football-shaped. Grade: A

Side-by-side comparison of old and new Jets logos. Old version on left, new on right.

THE NEW HELMET

The new shell color is the single best thing about the new uniform set—a gorgeous jewel-toned emerald that shimmers nicely in the light and looks almost like candy (yes, I want to lick it). But it's a little weird to see the logo lettering without the oval shape, and the black facemask is a mistake. White would've been a better call.

The visual effect of the green helmet and the classic Jets lettering is a bit like the team's 1994 "fauxback" helmet, only without the stripes. Grade: A-

Side-by-side comparison of Jets' 1994 fauxback helmet and new helmet. Fauxback on left, new design on right.

THE PRIMARY JERSEYS

The new shade of green looks great, and the number font is fine (a relief, after early reports that the numbers would be Oregon-esque). But ugh, those stripes, or wings, or contrails, or whatever they are—not a great look. It feels a bit like the Jets swooped in and salvaged the now-defunct AAF's uniforms off the scrapheap.

Also, it's interesting that they're putting the city name on the chest. The Browns tried that with their current set, which was unveiled in 2015, and reaction has been largely negative, with many fans thinking it makes the jersey feel too much like a college or even high school design. That goes double for the Jets, because the combination of the green jersey, the chest lettering, the black outlining on the numbers feels a lot like Marshall and North Texas. Grade: C+

THE PANTS

On the plus side, there's no gimmickry or silliness. But that pointy striping feels more arena league than NFL. Grade: B-

THE BLACK ALTERNATE

An NFL team from the northeast wearing a gratuitous black alternate with green and white trim? Gee, I wonder where we might have seen that before. Look, the whole trend of sports teams wearing black alternates had already become tedious by 2003. Nowadays, it's flat-out embarrassing (just ask the 49ers). Clearly the low point of the new uni set. Grade: D

THE SOCKS

NFL socks have almost become an afterthought. Teams with multiple sets of pants used to routinely have corresponding socks to provide contrast with the britches (the Jets, for example, had green socks for their white pantsand striped white socks for their green pants), but new uni sets these days tend to have only one sock design. That's the case with the Jets' new set, which has one primary sock design—green. It looks fine with the white pants but creates the dreaded leotard effect when worn with the green pants. Grade: B

OVERALL

It could have been worse, but it also could have been better. For long-suffering Jets fans who are looking for something new to hang their hopes on, it's not a bad reboot. But it doesn't have the feel of a design that's built to last. NFL rules stipulate that a team can't change its uniforms more often than once every five years. Does anyone really think this design will last much longer than that? Grade: B-

Paul Lukas has been covering the uniform scene for 20 years. You can read more of his uniform writing on his Uni Watch Blog, plus you can follow him on Twitter and Facebook. Want to learn about his Uni Watch Membership Program, check out his Uni Watch merchandise, or just ask him a question? Contact him here.

• Downvote 1

losing teams like to try and change uniforms like it will make you forget the team has been bad-a better change would have been firing our gm. I dont care what the uniforms look like I care about who plays for the team, who coaches the team and if the team can win. When a team has a history of winning and a tradition they rarely change their uniforms. When was the last time the Yankees  changed their uniforms?

22 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

You are a fanboy.  You’d be pleased with anything they made.

I like the uniforms.  It's entirely possible for Jets fans to like them.   Imagine that.

SAR I

• Upvote 1