Jets New Uniforms: MERGED ***Leak Date 4/3/19***

3 hours ago, Xtina said:

Charting the logo is the hardest part of this endeavor. The second hardest is knitting intarsia.  So, there's a custom order page on my website. But I'll probably ignore it. 

I will need 4 hats, 4 pairs of gloves, and 4 pairs of socks with the new logo. For the hats, can you replicate the left/right decals and the one on the back?

SAR I

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Xtina said:

Charting the logo is the hardest part of this endeavor. The second hardest is knitting intarsia.  So, there's a custom order page on my website. But I'll probably ignore it. 

I mean, as long as you get the main sentence in there, who is he to complain?

• Haha 3

Not that anyone should care. 

But I now like the logo. 

I get you can hate it, not like it, be meh. 

But it’s grown on me. Especially on that helmet. 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the logo and it could have been so so so much worse.

Its actually pretty good.

There  I said it. So sue me.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

But I now like the logo. 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the logo and it could have been so so so much worse.

I like you, Peace Frog.

SAR I

On 4/6/2019 at 10:41 PM, SAR I said:

I'm not a fan of these teams but I'm pretty sure those are the Islanders and Nets primary logos and I'm pretty sure the Mets still use a sleeve patch, and the Knicks use that on their shorts and warmup gear.  As for the Yankees, the Tophat logo is on the sleeve of the dugout jackets which are on TV as much as the jerseys are.  Point is, these aren't "gameface" type alternate logos.  They are 100% recognizable and dominantly associated with each brand and if it's good enough for these other New York teams it's good enough for the Jets. 

And pay attention to the branding challenge each of these teams face:  There is no such thing as a "Met" or a "Yankee" or a "Knick" or a "Islander".  It's not like Lions and Tigers and Bears which are fierce creatures and tell a story.  It's not even like a Pirate or a Buccaneer or a Raider which are aggressive humans.  Jets, Mets, Yankees, Dodgers, Islanders, Knicks.....they need help to tell the story.  That's why they use the imagery and equipment of their respective sports on the logos.  It tells the story for those teams like a swashbuckler with an eye patch does for Oakland.

SAR I

And a jet is an object, a very large and very fast one, which could be graphically depicted and doesn’t need the imagery and equipment of its respective sport to tell its story 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Xtina said:

And a jet is an object, a very large and very fast one, which could be graphically depicted and doesn’t need the imagery and equipment of its respective sport to tell its story 

Even I know what a Jet is.

Now I want to see a giant in the Giants logo. Always struck me as comical when they say they are huge giant fans. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

"It could've been worse," is probably the best I can do. 

The helmet color/finish is far and away the best part of the new duds, the logo is a dud. The rest of the uniform is just the green/white/black version of the generic NFL outfit. In fact, nothing is more generic than using black, the most common uniform color in the league. 

yc9GwCPPwJ39_hvKtVBBBaMYMMtZKlEuiWJOEmyt 

The Jets become the 12th team to use black. Yay! So clever and inspired! 

• Upvote 4

On 4/7/2019 at 4:47 PM, BroadwayRay said:

This podcast has some “inside” info on the Jets uniforms that seems highly plausible. 

Among the items:

1. Design started five years ago, but Woody Johnson kept waffling on design proposals. Wasn’t until Chris Johnson took over when the project really got started. 

2. Helmet was last thing they designed. Original plan was for a matte finish like the Vikings helmet, but they changed to the metallic, multichromatic design based on a new helmet introduced by LSU. 

3. The NFL and Nike wanted the Jets to adopt a new logo. But Jets brass didn’t want to change it. They compromised and made the logo we see now. 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/play-like-a-jet-new-york-jets/id1236901698?mt=2&i=1000434228363

It reeks of compromise 

• Upvote 1

On 4/9/2019 at 8:14 AM, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

I hated the redesigned logo originally but it is growing on me now.  There's one thing I don't get though.  I am by no means a graphic design guy (R&D/Training Guy in the Cable Industry) but If you look at the football design there was a lot of room for a plane/jet design in  the laces itself.  If they would have just made those laces a little bit longer and shorter in certain areas there would definitely be a plane/jet representation considering the ball is separated length wise.  head on view of a jet through the laces...... Am I crazy?

jets.png

Would have been such a nice simple improvement. I can’t believe this is their real logo. I thought it was one of the amateur mock ups from this site. With the words New York offset to the left. Just hideous 

21 hours ago, kelly said:

“They’re very invested in adding things their brand hasn’t had, especially younger energy,” said Marc Reeves, Nike (NYSE: NKE) senior director of NFL and NCAA. “They’re dedicated to connecting with the youth of New York City, trying to define themselves as a team that owns the young.”To attract that audience, the Jets have added black to their color palette. In addition to uniforms that are primarily white and green, there’s an alternate jersey that’s largely black, with some green accents.Adding black “really expands what the Jets are allowed to do,” said NFL Art Director Chris Stackhouse. “It makes their colors appealing from a wearability point of view, takes it to a place that’s more modern and to where it can be part of fashion and entertainment.”

I'd like to take a moment away from discussing the "sentence logo" just to revisit this. So just to be clear, the Jets and Nike (a multi-billion dollar expert in design as many have pointed out) took 5 years to add black to the uniform. Why did they choose black? Not because it is "stealth" as the marketing department calls it, not because black means "New York" or has any legitimate ties to the Jets specifically, they chose it so the team could sell more apparel. Because green is too hard for the youth to match with the rest of their ensembles. 

As was discussed pre-reveal, gray is much more modern and in style nowadays than black. It would have been a much easier tie-in with the team being Jets, would have been more unique in the NFL and still would have been easier for people to incorporate into their outfits....but the Johnson's and Nike wanted to go the safer route, the route that led to even MORE apparel sales.

This is the type of decision-making that has been going on behind the scenes between Nike and the Jets. Don't let the marketing department and production videos about "bolder, faster, sleeker" fool you. Take it right from the NFL Art Director's mouth. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

I'd like to take a moment away from discussing the "sentence logo" just to revisit this. So just to be clear, the Jets and Nike (a multi-billion dollar expert in design as many have pointed out) took 5 years to add black to the uniform. Why did they choose black? Not because it is "stealth" as the marketing department calls it, not because black means "New York" or has any legitimate ties to the Jets specifically, they chose it so the team could sell more apparel. Because green is too hard for the youth to match with the rest of their ensembles. 

As was discussed pre-reveal, gray is much more modern and in style nowadays than black. It would have been a much easier tie-in with the team being Jets, would have been more unique in the NFL and still would have been easier for people to incorporate into their outfits....but the Johnson's and Nike wanted to go the safer route, the route that led to even MORE apparel sales.

This is the type of decision-making that has been going on behind the scenes between Nike and the Jets. Don't let the marketing department and production videos about "bolder, faster, sleeker" fool you. Take it right from the NFL Art Director's mouth. 

There was plenty of black Jets apparel available prior to them adding it to their color scheme.

A nice compromise would have been to keep just the green and white for the home/away jerseys and added an alternate that included black, similar to what the Celtics did.  The Celtics are never going to mess with their traditional green and white uniform.

• Upvote 1

Last week at this time:  Eagerly awaiting the uni reveal hoping and praying that the leaked picture was a fake and are uniforms were not going to be generally awful with that horrible looking helmet logo.

This week at this time:  Eagerly awaiting the delivery of my new Jets gear!

#sucker

• Upvote 2

On 4/5/2019 at 5:50 PM, joewilly12 said:

Eagles fans are nasty drunks nothing to cheer about they win 1 Super Bowl and now they consider themselves an NFL elite team.

This guy explains it all. 

@Apache 51  COME ON MAN that guy is a clown. 

How did I miss this?? Lol. We got Buddys boy now, Can't wait. It's coming. The stadium is always Green in Philly.

24 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

There was plenty of black Jets apparel available prior to them adding it to their color scheme.

A nice compromise would have been to keep just the green and white for the home/away jerseys and added an alternate that included black, similar to what the Celtics did.  The Celtics are never going to mess with their traditional green and white uniform.

I can attest to this as almost everything Jets I own is in black.  As I keep saying on here, I know I'm in the minority, but I was thrilled with the black!  and I really don't get all the logo hate?  my b-day was earlier this week, and my wife is asking me if I wanted some Jets hats, shirts, shorts, whatever?  to me, there is no reason.  I already have a ton of stuff in black, and the logo is BARELY noticeable!  I know you guys on these forums are looking at it with a microscope, but to most people, who are not die-hard Jets fans, there is no difference.  My wife thought itwas the exact same logo - had to point out the differences to her.

point is:  not worth getting a new black baseball cap because "New York" is written out instead of "NY".  Now the jerseys?  that's a different thing!  LOL

26 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Last week at this time:  Eagerly awaiting the uni reveal hoping and praying that the leaked picture was a fake and are uniforms were not going to be generally awful with that horrible looking helmet logo.

This week at this time:  Eagerly awaiting the delivery of my new Jets gear!

#sucker

Love this!  I was one of those people hoping the leak was real (or at least close to real) and am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my new Jets gear.  I'm sure you're kidding around, but I hope most Jets fans will come along to this sooner rather than later!  whether we like the way they look or not, those are our boys out there!

2 hours ago, slats said:

The helmet color/finish is far and away the best part of the new duds, the logo is a dud. The rest of the uniform is just the green/white/black version of the generic NFL outfit. In fact, nothing is more generic than using black, the most common uniform color in the league. 

Yup. The black was just so unnecessary. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

21 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I can attest to this as almost everything Jets I own is in black.  As I keep saying on here, I know I'm in the minority, but I was thrilled with the black!  and I really don't get all the logo hate?  my b-day was earlier this week, and my wife is asking me if I wanted some Jets hats, shirts, shorts, whatever?  to me, there is no reason.  I already have a ton of stuff in black, and the logo is BARELY noticeable!  I know you guys on these forums are looking at it with a microscope, but to most people, who are not die-hard Jets fans, there is no difference.  My wife thought itwas the exact same logo - had to point out the differences to her.

point is:  not worth getting a new black baseball cap because "New York" is written out instead of "NY".  Now the jerseys?  that's a different thing!  LOL

I agree on both accounts regarding the merchandise...I have two black hats with the 80's logo, one written in green, the other in black as well. I also have a grey hat with the current logo. 

In terms of people not liking the new logo, it's mostly the fact that the Jets had a rare opportunity to completely re-design the logo in a modern way but instead relied upon a poorly designed logo that was made in the 1960's. I think if the Jets/Nike never put out all the promotion in terms of what a drastic change this would be, very few people would feel so strongly about it. At least I know that I wouldn't. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

I agree on both accounts regarding the merchandise...I have two black hats with the 80's logo, one written in green, the other in black as well. I also have a grey hat with the current logo. 

In terms of people not liking the new logo, it's mostly the fact that the Jets had a rare opportunity to completely re-design the logo in a modern way but instead relied upon a poorly designed logo that was made in the 1960's. I think if the Jets/Nike never put out all the promotion in terms of what a drastic change this would be, very few people would feel so strongly about it. At least I know that I wouldn't. 

I think the problem is that they are trying to appeal to ALL Jets fans:  the lil kiddies, like my son, who love the black, love the brighter green, the middle aged fans, like myself, by giving us back our green helmets and that 80s/90s Jets look, and the older Jets fans - people that were around to see our lone SB win - by keeping said logo in a nod to that team.

I hope it gets better when they get on the field.  right now, we are all looking at closeups and "don't like the logo" or don't like the "new york" across the chest, etc.  we will not even notice that when we are watching these guys running around on the field.  Personally, I think they are gonna look real sweet out there on the field every week!

5 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

I would have preferred a gunmetal/charcoal gray myself.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

But I now like the logo. 

I agree with you.  The new logo has grown on me also. I love the helmet on the new uniforms.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

So its settled, Black is great as a new color in our color combo.

Go JETS

-4565459535801810327.jpg

Yes.

Conveniently, this is one of two vintage Jets jackets I've kept over the years, a day after I got it I wore it to the game where Dennis Byrd got hurt and what I remember is that during that play stoppage a guy leaned into me and got chili onto one of the white sleeves and I had to run up the steps and get to the bathroom to put some soapy water on it before it stained permanently.  Thankfully, the cleaning went well, you couldn't tell what happened there.

SAR I

8 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I agree with you.  The new logo has grown on me also. I love the helmet on the new uniforms.

Me too; favorite part of the new uniforms.  I really just wanted black in the jerseys/pants, but that was because I had read on these very forums (incorrectly, I might add) that the Jets "would never go back to green helmets" because former QBs such as Kenny O'Brien and Boomer (since proven false on his own radio show) had "so much trouble" finding receivers on the green field with green helmets.  I just wasn't expecting it, so was thrilled when we went back to the green!!

I still just do not understand the logo.  I'm not even buying new Jets merchandise (except the jerseys) because the logo looks too similar to the old one to warrant a purchase.  Now if people HATED the old logo and wanted a completely redesigned one, I totally get it.

7 hours ago, slats said:

This doesn't include the 49ers who went to black for a little while and then dropped it (I think).  If the black merch fails to "take flight," will it remain in the color scheme in five years? 

We have black alternates what we will use 2 or 3x out of a 16 regular season schedule.  They look nice.  Whats the big fuss about so many others have black.   Who cares what others have as long as we have a good look.

Play > look

• Upvote 3

On 4/11/2019 at 8:51 AM, Xtina said:

Would have been such a nice simple improvement. I can’t believe this is their real logo. I thought it was one of the amateur mock ups from this site. With the words New York offset to the left. Just hideous 

Offset to the left? Umm

22 hours ago, SAR I said:

-4565459535801810327.jpg

Yes.

Conveniently, this is one of two vintage Jets jackets I've kept over the years, a day after I got it I wore it to the game where Dennis Byrd got hurt and what I remember is that during that play stoppage a guy leaned into me and got chili onto one of the white sleeves and I had to run up the steps and get to the bathroom to put some soapy water on it before it stained permanently.  Thankfully, the cleaning went well, you couldn't tell what happened there.

SAR I

This is only mildly related but anyone that eats chili at any type of sporting event is weird as ****.

• Haha 1