Jets New Uniforms: MERGED ***Leak Date 4/3/19***

Import to note:

Nothing specific has been confirmed officially.

We know that the change process began in 2014, which is the NFL mandated timeframe for a change in color scheme. So there’s that.

Other than that, an NYJ PR operation has tweeted out teases for the 2019 uniform based on the 2018 practice jersey for QBs which was changed from red / white #s to black / green #s.

The Art Director at the NFL said “it was really essential to create something new for the Jets; it’s such a bold change.”

The Brand Director at the NFL said “You don’t do this very often; I can’t remember in my lifetime the Jets making a change - anything - like this. I think everyone is really pumped for this uniform design. I think when fans see this they’re going to be super exited, they’re going to relate to it, they’re going to feel like this is what the modern jets brand is and feels really right for today.”

Reading into that, there’s no way the uniforms will not be a significant departure from anything we have seen: this person was alive when the Jets switched from green and black and white with the 80s/90’s logo to the 21st century throwbacks, which was a drastic change. I would be surprised to see any derivative elements (any current or past logos for ex) based on these comments, except for retention of GREEN. I would expect to see something that has 

•textural contrast between matte and gloss or metallic and/or

•other texture/patterning/striping elements that adds a new dimension or wrinkle to the standard use of color and logo / wordmark.

I would be shocked if the redesign is just colors and logo but based on the old standards - standard and consistent helmet/face mask gloss, standard helmet and uniform stripes, block shaped numbers.

If the redesign doesn’t exceed what the browns and Vikings did (especially concerning adding matte finish to the helmet) and at least match what Seattle did 7 years ago, I will also be shocked.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Vader said:

Import to note:

Nothing specific has been confirmed officially.

We know that the change process began in 2014, which is the NFL mandated timeframe for a change in color scheme. So there’s that.

Other than that, an NYJ PR operation has tweeted out teases for the 2019 uniform based on the 2018 practice jersey for QBs which was changed from red / white #s to black / green #s.

The Art Director at the NFL said “it was really essential to create something new for the Jets; it’s such a bold change.”

The Brand Director at the NFL said “You don’t do this very often; I can’t remember in my lifetime the Jets making a change - anything - like this. I think everyone is really pumped for this uniform design. I think when fans see this they’re going to be super exited, they’re going to relate to it, they’re going to feel like this is what the modern jets brand is and feels really right for today.”

Reading into that, there’s no way the uniforms will not be a significant departure from anything we have seen: this person was alive when the Jets switched from green and black and white with the 80s/90’s logo to the 21st century throwbacks, which was a drastic change. I would be surprised to see any derivative elements (any current or past logos for ex) based on these comments, except for retention of GREEN. I would expect to see something that has 

•textural contrast between matte and gloss or metallic and/or

•other texture/patterning/striping elements that adds a new dimension or wrinkle to the standard use of color and logo / wordmark.

I would be shocked if the redesign is just colors and logo but based on the old standards - standard and consistent helmet/face mask gloss, standard helmet and uniform stripes, block shaped numbers.

If the redesign doesn’t exceed what the browns and Vikings did (especially concerning adding matte finish to the helmet) and at least match what Seattle did 7 years ago, I will also be shocked.

Good post.

keep in mind though that marketing and design types will always talk it up as ‘bold, innovative and unlike anything we’ve seen before’ but saying that it’s very clear this is more than a re-fresh. I think you are onto something with the matt finish on helmets. Maybe a metallic/chrome helmet design a la the facemask and decal on the color rush helmets.

i’d be surprised also if grey is not introduced somewhere. Absolutely everywhere you look this year we have incorporated grey with Kelly green into hats, sweaters, jerseys etc.

Either way i’m Up for a change.

• Upvote 1

On 12/28/2018 at 6:28 PM, Greensleeves said:

So what does our current logo have to do with a team called the Jets? How about a team that plays in New York? You thinking the logo is good is based on it's history and not how good it is. It is a design failure since a logo is supposed to conceptually align with the team and/or it's city, not just what they play. I've been designing logos for 20 years and it isn't subjective - it just fails from a design standpoint and with what a logo is supposed to communicate. I would bet the new one finally works conceptually and is much nicer visually. 

It's very 1960s: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwif4PKThtjfAhWqUt8KHXm5A10QjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.metv.com%2Flists%2Fthese-21-old-logos-show-that-major-brands-looked-much-different-in-the-1960s&psig=AOvVaw1gS1kST5pBUeveh83lpkOJ&ust=1546826022359763

2 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Good post.

keep in mind though that marketing and design types will always talk it up as ‘bold, innovative and unlike anything we’ve seen before’ but saying that it’s very clear this is more than a re-fresh. I think you are onto something with the matt finish on helmets. Maybe a metallic/chrome helmet design a la the facemask and decal on the color rush helmets.

i’d be surprised also if grey is not introduced somewhere. Absolutely everywhere you look this year we have incorporated grey with Kelly green into hats, sweaters, jerseys etc.

Either way i’m Up for a change.

agree. also think the hype is super dumb, should have just released the stupid uniforms, logo and color scheme when they announced it.

30 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I will stick with old school will be stocking up the next few weeks. 

You can keep that hideous attempt to change tradition. 

Or your attempt to stop change

Itss happening, move on, theyre still the Jets.  Nothing changes, we should be rooting for the players and team not the jersey

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Me stop change?  How?  

Whats done is done?

Looking for an argument tonight? 

Stop with the martyr approach no one is arguing.  Every question to you isnt an accusation or argument.  Just saying the uniforms are changing you keep saying over and over and over that youre going to buy the current jersey for some reason.  Especially when youve said so many times that you wont put money in the teams pockets.  But youre going to buy this jersey, I dont quite get how that helps 

1 hour ago, MattyAction said:

Saw on Twitter. Would not be mad at allIMG_20190105_203821.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

So I know photoshop is a thing, but that looks quite "real".  Like that's actually a dude wearing something real.

That's not bad at all, but I think it's sorta established, the logo is changing, and not to the old school 80's logo, but something totally new.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

So I know photoshop is a thing, but that looks quite "real".  Like that's actually a dude wearing something real.

That's not bad at all, but I think it's sorta established, the logo is changing, and not to the old school 80's logo, but something totally new.

THOSE ARE SICK

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Stop with the martyr approach no one is arguing.  Every question to you isnt an accusation or argument.  Just saying the uniforms are changing you keep saying over and over and over that youre going to buy the current jersey for some reason.  Especially when youve said so many times that you wont put money in the teams pockets.  But youre going to buy this jersey, I dont quite get how that helps 

If I don't like it I wont buy it. I prefer the current stuff I like it. Im old school. 

Nice to see you conversing and actually talking football you should do it more often. 

The new and improved fans won't buy that crap I see them at the stadium now they wear skinny jeans, argyle sweaters and p-coats no NY Jets stuff except maybe a hat. 

Nike + Green + Black + Third Color + Bold and Modern = Look to Oregon Ducks for inspiration and possibilities.

I don’t think the team goes this edgy, but I would love if they did, and no doubt Nike presented Oregon’s uniforms as prototypes.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

They are likely to be an even more bold change than that.  So you might want to start looking for another team to root for.

I'm an older guy & I think those are sharp as hell! And the periphery sweatshirts, Tshirts ect. Would be really nice compared to the crap available now!

• Sympathy 1