Jets New Uniforms: MERGED ***Leak Date 4/3/19***

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Nike is most likely furious.  No way in hell do I buy one of the current ones knowing that next year it changes.  Oh boy the Jets marketing staff is so short-sighted.

Till you realize that one of the biggest drivers of sales is presumed rarity/end of availability, and that all the fans of THIS gear will run out and buy it up now while it's still available.

That, and that 95% of the "fans" are casual and will simply buy now never knowing something new is coming, no matter how many leaks or pressers there are.

TLDR:  Nike will be fine.  Lol.

Just now, Warfish said:

Till you realize that one of the biggest drivers of sales is presumed rarity/end of availability, and that all the fans of THIS gear will run out and buy it up now while it's still available.

That, and that 95% of the "fans" are casual and will simply buy now never knowing something new is coming, no matter how many leaks or pressers there are.

Exactly those that like the current logo and color will buy everything they can. 

Just now, Warfish said:

add to that the alleged rule that new uni's must be announced a year ahead of time (if that's true, which I do not know or really care).

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I don't give a damn about the color all that much its the emblem this is the best in the NFL 

Image result for ny jets emblem pics

This logo is fine for a patch but not the main logo. I wouldn't mind if they kept this on the jersey where it currently is with an updated logo on the helmets. Would be a nice homage to yesteryear while still moving forward. 

Kinda wish I'd held off on buying the Darnold jersey now that I know it'll be obsolete in a year. Thanks Jets.

Personally I love our uniforms -- I think the home (green on white) and road (white on white) are awesome -- I'd ditch the pickle pants, but I think our base uniforms are great.

Honestly, the all white-out ones (with the white facemasks, etc.) were sexy as hell.

It’s the Jets and Nike...so there’s always the possibility we’ll be puking our guts out by what we’ll see.

A combo of the sh*tty Bucs-esque alarm clock numbers, the sh*tty Browns-esque lettering across the chest of the jersey and down the sides of the pants, and the sh*tty Jags-esque two-tone helmet. 

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Kinda wish I'd held off on buying the Darnold jersey now that I know it'll be obsolete in a year. Thanks Jets.

Personally I love our uniforms -- I think the home (green on white) and road (white on white) are awesome -- I'd ditch the pickle pants, but I think our base uniforms are great.

Honestly, the all white-out ones (with the white facemasks, etc.) were sexy as hell.

No worries you will have his rookie season jersey. 

• Upvote 1

Love the parcells era classics. Been reticent to change but this could be good if they make a radical change ala Seattle - or more, like university of Oregon level dramatic change. Seattle changed a ton but left the essential logo the same.

id love to see an iconic helmet design with the jet branding concept incorporated into the helmet design as opposed to having a re cycled or re imagined logo.

im thinking something in the Michigan U vein. Something that speaks to a pilot helmet and aerospace. 

Woukd love to see incorporation of Chrome, silver or copper. And metallic green or a more energetic green. 

Oh man I hope they don't screw this up. I'm not a fan of Nike designs, the sweat patch Jersey was the worst. Please think out of the box Chris Johnson & look at some of these outside designers that have a clue. This in White would be epic. And I agree with the fans that don't want JETS slashed all over the Jersey by the shoulder or side of pants. Keep it simple & classic! Maybe a cool double stripe on helmet and on the side of pants, kind of retro. 

IMG_2186.JPG

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

In all seriousness, what's wrong with the current uniform? The all white is one of the best in sports.

Market saturation and age.

At this point, the majority of mainstream market (i.e. non-obsessive fanatics) folks who will buy, have bought. 

Without external influence, they will not buy again for some time, if ever.  The same uniform (or close enough) has been in-service for so long, that the majority of potential buyers is now quite small, comparatively.

A Uniform refresh, especially with a logo change as well, will generally result in a major increase in sales of merch, as both casuals and die-hards buy up the new stuff, and classicists buy up whats left of the old stuff before it's gone, thus providing a bump in revenues for the franchise, with increased sales for at least a few years from that point.  

After a few years, you're back to normal, market saturated.  And if the new stuff isn't popular, you still own the old log/uniform rights, and can easily go back, going through the bump process all over again.

The NFL is a business, remember, and sales of merch a big thing.

Occasional changes is a part of that, a part we've seemingly ignored/been immune to having for much longer than most.   

P.S. Our uniforms are not, by any objective metric, anywhere near "the best in sports".  There are polls on this every so often, and we never come close to finishing in the elite top tiers.  And the most vital poll, sales, is another metric we don;t rank near the top in either.  We fans may like it (or not), but the general sports fan public does not hold it in anything close to the high regard a portion of our fanbase does.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

Stop already. It’s a boring design. It would be better to do nothing than to regress to a uniform my teen son could design in 15 minutes. 

SAR I

I didn't make the design.  I just changed the colors around since the original design is a borderline-midnight blue/green like the Eagles.  I'm just trying to have a little fun with this man.  I love our current uniform but it's pretty clear now that its really going to change, so I just wanted to mess around with some of the ideas that are already out there.  That's all.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

The uniforms were like the only thing you could be okay with as a fan of this team.  Everything else gives you agita, at least we didn't have to stress out over being dressed stupidly, since 1998 at least we looked good.

I just know they are going to screw this up.  Nike, the team, we're going to wind up looking stupid like the Browns, I can feel it.  For the next 20 years we are going to look awful.

SAR I

Let's be honest SAR, you're not the market the team (or any marketer) cares about.

You may impress some folks with your talk of all your wealth, but you're old, and white, and utterly irrelevant to pretty much any form of marketing at this point in what remains of your life.

18-25, multi-ethnic, men and women, is where the future (and profit) lies.  

You and I can shake our canes at clouds all we want, it won't change the future nor our own marketing irrelevance.

In before:  But, but, but, I have money!  I MATTER!  Lol.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Market saturation and age.

At this point, the majority of mainstream market (i.e. non-obsessive fanatics) folks who will buy, have bought. 

Without external influence, they will not buy again for some time, if ever.  The same uniform (or close enough) has been in-service for so long, that the majority of potential buyers is now quite small, comparatively.

A Uniform refresh, especially with a logo change as well, will generally result in a major increase in sales of merch, as both casuals and die-hards buy up the new stuff, and classicists buy up whats left of the old stuff before it's gone, thus providing a bump in revenues for the franchise, with increased sales for at least a few years from that point.  

After a few years, you're back to normal, market saturated.  And if the new stuff isn't popular, you still own the old log/uniform rights, and can easily go back, going through the bump process all over again.

The NFL is a business, remember, and sales of merch a big thing.

Occasional changes is a part of that, a part we've seemingly ignored/been immune to having for much longer than most.   

P.S. Our uniforms are not, by any objective metric, anywhere near "the best in sports".  There are polls on this every so often, and we never come close to finishing in the elite top tiers.  And the most vital poll, sales, is another metric we don;t rank near the top in either.  We fans may like it (or not), but the general sports fan public does not hold it in anything close to the high regard a portion of our fanbase does.

People buy the name on the back of the jersey and there are new guys every season. I'd imagine Darnold has spiked sales. Drafting nose tackles every season isnt exactly good for merch business.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

People buy the name on the back of the jersey and there are new guys every season. I'd imagine Darnold has spiked sales. Drafting nose tackles every season isnt exactly good for merch business.

It's kinda of funny that a big selling Jersey was a center, lol! MANGOLD, I move the ball from the ground to the crack of my azz. Jets really do need to finally find the freaking offensive playmakers for Darnold. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Stars drive sales too, no question.  And we've clearly lacked those.

But a Uniform/Logo refresh or change is the big ticket in merch sales.  Nothing else comes close.

The only folks who don't need it are those truly elite uni/logo teams that either can't due to history, and/or don;t need to because they're already elite-tier sellers.  We are not them.

Just now, Jetster said:

It's kinda of funny that a big selling Jersey was a center, lol! MANGOLD, I move the ball from the ground to the crack of my azz. Jets really do need to finally find the freaking offensive playmakers for Darnold. 

His was the last Jets Jersey I bought.  No one on the current roster inspires me to make a new purchase (yet).

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

But a Uniform/Logo refresh or change is the big ticket in merch sales.  Nothing else comes close.

The only folks who don't need it are those truly elite uni/logo teams that either can't due to history, and/or don;t need to because they're already elite-tier sellers.  We are not them.

His was the last Jets Jersey I bought.  No one on the current roster inspires me to make a new purchase (yet).

The Jets have a clean classic look that makes the franchise look better and more professional than they actually are. The Colts essentially have the same uniform as the Jets besides the obvious blue vs green and Horseshoe logo. No reason to change the simple clean look for the sake of it. Draft better players and score more touchdowns and sales will spike. The Bucs, Falcons, Titans etc all look absurd.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

The Jets have a clean classic look that makes the franchise look better and more professional than they actually are. The Colts essentially have the same uniform as the Jets besides the obvious blue vs green and Horseshoe logo. No reason to change the simple clean look for the sake of it. Draft better players and score more touchdowns and sales will spike. The Bucs, Falcons, Titans etc all look absurd.

Exactly the uniform doesn't make the player. 

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Jets and Colts are the only teams in the league -to my recollection- that have essentially only one color. 

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

You can love it as much as you like, it won't change the reality. 

It's not amongst the strongest sellers in the NFL, much less all of sports, it's not associated with any meaningful success since about the same time as the Beatles released Abbey Road, and it's been basically the same for over 20 years now.

If sales matter to the team, they'll change it (and the logo) to something new, with a more modern look that appeals to millennials, women and a more diverse population, while attempting to retain enough to please the old folks home fans (i.e. most of us).

With that said, I expect at most a waffling "change" that doesn't really do much but touch the edges, same as the other "changes" we've had since the 60's look was reintroduced.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Hey, he was a great Jet, not nearly as versatile as Mawae, but consistent. BUT HE'S A FREAKING CENTER! Name every teams CENTER, who the f*ck cares? I mean Jonathon Goodwin, a guy we CUT, was the winning center in the Saints Super Bowl win. Kids want the Jerseys of guys flying through the freaking AIR, like Alvin Kamara & Gurley! Hell, we don't even have a Chrebet right now! Lol. BIG CHANGES coming to the offense this offseason & free agency. It's time with Darnold in the fold for the Jets to play football LIKE THEIR NAME, fast & on target ? with TDs. 

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

it's not associated with any meaningful success since about the same time as the Beatles released Abbey Road

More like the White Album, released during the '68 season, or Yellow Submarine, released the day after Super Bowl III. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

More like the White Album, released during the '68 season, or Yellow Submarine, released the day after Super Bowl III. 

I had a yellow submarine lunch box. Yea, time for a uniform redesign, lol.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I buy the knock-offs if its a current player only ones I would consider purchasing the real deal right now are Adams,Darnold,Sterling. 

For now regardless of change I stick with this. It never goes out of style. 

Image result for 1969 joe namath jersey pics

Is the two different kinds of green something the Jets every actually used? Or is that just because it's a cheap knock-off? 

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Let's be honest SAR, you're not the market the team (or any marketer) cares about.

You may impress some folks with your talk of all your wealth, but you're old, and white, and utterly irrelevant to pretty much any form of marketing at this point in what remains of your life.

18-25, multi-ethnic, men and women, is where the future (and profit) lies.  

You and I can shake our canes at clouds all we want, it won't change the future nor our own marketing irrelevance.

In before:  But, but, but, I have money!  I MATTER!  Lol.

POTY

I would agree with the current uniform set being "clean and classic", and that our all white look is awesome, but not with it being among the "best in sports".

Ever since Nike changed the green to the current poop green variety, instead of the 1998 era shade, the home uniforms have been well below average. Also, pretty much any team will look awesome in all white.

I'm all for a refresh, as long as we get a lighter shade of green and something that's not overly busy.

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

True. But they also need to change the logo back to the 80s one. The current one is terrible. It’s too busy and looks horrible on hats and tshirt designs. 

They would get sales from just that logo change. I don’t like wearing jerseys. And I’m always looking for throwback Merch instead of the current logo. Just looks cleaned IMO.