Jets New Uniforms: MERGED ***Leak Date 4/3/19***

I'm just going to leave this here and let you guys argue about what any of it might mean...if anything at all.....

......buuuuuutttttttt in case you don't wan't to watch all of this or read the whole blog...essentially, helmets are reconditioned every year. 

This process involves stripping/sanding/buffing down the helmet to a point in which the whole helmet needs to be repainted again...whether it was originally white, black, red or brown. 

So, in other words, the video the Jets teased us with really means nothing, because they can be doing anything with this process after step three...they could be painting them white again...or....maybe not....

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/4785/why-is-football-helmet-reconditioning-important

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

Did you not read the comments below the vid? The gray helmets shown in the video arw children's helmets, you can tell by the padding inside of them.

This video is actually the biggest confirmation of what I said it was; the standard Riddell reconditioning of our WHITE helmets. There is no reason to send back last year's injection molded WHITE helmets if we are changing to another color. 

I am thrilled.  Thank you Chris Johnson.  WHITE helmets are our tradition and shall remain .

SAR I

Kill joy, no way. I'm going on the record , no white helmet.  Just cause the helmets are going through the process as explained by you means nothing.  The next step in the process is to be painted. Probably the same color as those kids helmets...

Boom.

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

This video is actually the biggest confirmation of what I said it was; the standard Riddell reconditioning of our WHITE helmets. There is no reason to send back last year's injection molded WHITE helmets if we are changing to another color. 

SAR I

I would disagree, if, the blog post I cited is accurate, and the reconditioning only costs $40-$50 per helmet as opposed to $200+ dollars for brand new helmets.

Again, if you watch the full reconditioning videos, it is very clear that the process requires repainting the helmet no matter the original color.

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

You keep missing the only clue in all of these helmet videos- instead of throwing them away or donating them to charity, the Jets are sending them back to Riddell.

ANd you keep missing that all the Jet helmets do not come from Riddell.  There are five or so different helmet companies that players are allowed to play in.  

And that there is nothing that proves the helmets in the video are the Jet helmets that are being shipped from the Jets.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

You keep missing the only clue in all of these helmet videos- instead of throwing them away or donating them to charity, the Jets are sending them back to Riddell.

If the Jets were changing the color of the helmets, they would be getting brand new helmets.  They aren't expensive.  It's not worth the trouble of stripping out all the safety features to re-paint them, that defeats the purpose of safety anyway, might as well get brand new helmets that don't have a year of use on them.

If the Jets were keeping the same color of the helmets, they'd do what they do each year which is to strip them of accessories (shown in video), tag them by player name (shown in video), ship them back to Riddell (shown in video), and have them reconditioned.  This is the safest way for the players, they get to keep their existing headgear, they get new accessories and decals, done.  It's the standard Riddell reconditioning program.  The Jets are participating.  Means they aren't changing the helmets or the color.

I think grey helmets would be cool, I like the way they look.  But it's not what the evidence is telling us.  The helmets are staying white because the Jets sent the helmets back to Riddell for reconditioning, simple as that.

SAR I

Except for the fact that they don’t reuse helmets from year to year.  

2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Kill joy, no way. I'm going on the record , no white helmet.  Just cause the helmets are going through the process as explained by you means nothing.  The next step in the process is to be painted. Probably the same color as those kids helmets...

Boom.

46311250_2315717318710264_34661679485662

Listen, I'd love these San Diego Fleet space grey helmets, I've got two BMW's in this color, but I don't see the Jets moving in this direction.

SAR I

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

I would disagree, if, the blog post I cited is accurate, and the reconditioning only costs $40-$50 per helmet as opposed to $200+ dollars for brand new helmets.

Again, if you watch the full reconditioning videos, it is very clear that the process requires repainting the helmet no matter the original color.

Exactly my point.

If you are the athletic director of Podunk Junior High School you send your helmets in for reconditioning to give to your players on your tight little budget.  The New York Jets are a $3 billion dollar corporation to whom $200 (I laughed when I typed that) means nothing.

Those who send their helmets in for reconditioning who can easily afford new ones therefore do it for only one reason:  Safety.   And that's the Jets motivation.  It's not to save $140 (I really laughed when I typed that).

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

ANd you keep missing that all the Jet helmets do not come from Riddell.  There are five or so different helmet companies that players are allowed to play in.  

And that there is nothing that proves the helmets in the video are the Jet helmets that are being shipped from the Jets.

Of course, and all helmet manufacturers offer reconditioning services, it's how they land contracts with tiny little high schools across the country.

In simplest terms, if the Jets were getting brand new [insert_color_here] helmets they'd pay the whopping $300 and be done with it.  Sending them back to the manufacturer is the key bit of information here.  The Jets aren't showing a glossy showroom of dozens of helmet colors and designs; they are showing us our old helmets going in for a facelift.  Safety testing, polish, new accessories, new decals.

I want white helmets because I want to see our white out '68 uniforms once a season.  But I'd be very pleased with grey too.  Just not green.  Don't want green.

SAR I

55 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Except for the fact that they don’t reuse helmets from year to year.  

I think they do.  My son is a goaltender and his helmet/mask is extremely important to him, it's 'broken in' and fits perfectly, very comfortable and very safe.

I would have to believe that the players want that familiarity and we know that the NFL has made studies on the importance of helmet continuity.

SAR I

45 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Name the last 5 NFL teams to change the base color of their helmets and the years that those changes took place.

SAR I

I’m actually on your side here, man. I’m thinking we are always going to be “Gang Green”. Like you, I’d be fine with some grey, even with the helmets. The all whites are the best “look” in the NFL in my opinion. The only thing we disagree on is I’d be okay with green helmets, even black ones with the grey and green unis. I just don’t think the white would work as well if that’s where we go.

As far as the 5 team thing, the only ones I can think of off the top of my head happened years ago, of course the Jets, Seahawks, Bills, Rams and when the Bucs did away with their creamsicle look. Which I loved, btw. ?

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Of course, and all helmet manufacturers offer reconditioning services, it's how they land contracts with tiny little high schools across the country.

In simplest terms, if the Jets were getting brand new [insert_color_here] helmets they'd pay the whopping $300 and be done with it.  Sending them back to the manufacturer is the key bit of information here.  The Jets aren't showing a glossy showroom of dozens of helmet colors and designs; they are showing us our old helmets going in for a facelift.  Safety testing, polish, new accessories, new decals.

I want white helmets because I want to see our white out '68 uniforms once a season.  But I'd be very pleased with grey too.  Just not green.  Don't want green.

SAR I

Helmet prices range from hundreds to thousands depending on the manufacturer.  

So the simple terms are wrong. 

I dont have a problem with green helmets.  I know they sucked at times in green but they also had some good times.  What color the helmets were under Kotite or when they had the run in Oakland and then Cincy doesnt faze me and doesnt make me feel one way or another.  I'll either like the new uniforms and helmets on their own, not on some predetermination based on history.  Thats silly to me.  And I lived it, unlike most who are complaining

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I’m actually on your side here, man. I’m thinking we are always going to be “Gang Green”. Like you, I’d be fine with some grey, even with the helmets. The all whites are the best “look” in the NFL in my opinion. The only thing we disagree on is I’d be okay with green helmets, even black ones with the grey and green unis. I just don’t think the white would work as well if that’s where we go.

As far as the 5 team thing, the only ones I can think of off the top of my head happened many years ago, of course the Jets, Seahawks, Bills, and when the Bucs did away with their creamsicle look. Which I loved, btw. ?

Cool.  I think matte gunmetal or metallic space grey would look great.  But no green, please.

And my point on the color change is that it is extremely rare and most often it's a team that made a mistake and is running back to their original base color (Bills from red back to white, Chargers from navy back to white, Jags from multi back to black, etc.)

SAR I

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

Exactly my point.

If you are the athletic director of Podunk Junior High School you send your helmets in for reconditioning to give to your players on your tight little budget.  The New York Jets are a $3 billion dollar corporation to whom $200 (I laughed when I typed that) means nothing.

Those who send their helmets in for reconditioning who can easily afford new ones therefore do it for only one reason:  Safety.   And that's the Jets motivation.  It's not to save $140 (I really laughed when I typed that).

SAR I

No, you’re missing my point.  

You have been arguing that the fact that they sent the helmets in for reconditioning means, beyond a doubt, that the helmets are remaining white.  

Yet the videos clearly show that no matter what the original color of the helmet was, they HAVE to be repainted during the reconditioning proces

So maybe they are being repainted white....but maybe they’re not.  

The fact that they’ve been sent for reconditioning means absolutely nothing about what the final color will be  

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

Name the last 5 NFL teams to change the base color of their helmets and the years that those changes took place.

SAR I

Since 1990:

1990 Atlanta

1993 New England

1997 Tampa Bay

1998 Jets

2002 Seattle

2007 San Diego

2011 Buffalo

2018 Tennessee

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

I think they do.  My son is a goaltender and his helmet/mask is extremely important to him, it's 'broken in' and fits perfectly, very comfortable and very safe.

I would have to believe that the players want that familiarity and we know that the NFL has made studies on the importance of helmet continuity.

SAR I

Sorry, you are wrong.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

You take things way too literally.  I can only imagine having a conversation with you in real life.  It must be hilarious.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Helmet prices range from hundreds to thousands depending on the manufacturer.  

So the simple terms are wrong. 

I dont have a problem with green helmets.  I know they sucked at times in green but they also had some good times.  What color the helmets were under Kotite or when they had the run in Oakland and then Cincy doesnt faze me and doesnt make me feel one way or another.  I'll either like the new uniforms and helmets on their own, not on some predetermination based on history.  Thats silly to me.  And I lived it, unlike most who are complaining

Totally agree.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

No, you’re missing my point.  

You have been arguing that the fact that they sent the helmets in for reconditioning means, beyond a doubt, that the helmets are remaining white.  

Yet the videos clearly show that no matter what the original color of the helmet was, they HAVE to be repainted during the reconditioning proces

So maybe they are being repainted white....but maybe they’re not.  

The fact that they’ve been sent for reconditioning means absolutely nothing about what the final color will be  

They wouldn't recondition the helmets if they were changing the color.  They'd just buy new helmets.  To a $3 billion dollar corporation the helmets are dirt cheap.  If the color stays the same, hey why not, go the extra mile for safety and have 'em checked out for safety.  But even if you don't buy the "recondition for extra safety" argument, there is another great reason to send them back to the manufacturer:

Someone has to install all those decals to Nike spec and you might as well leave it to the experts and not our lonely equipment manager and his staff of one.  Send them back, quick safety check, polish up the white gloss, install the decals.  It feels like that's what's happening.  Otherwise, they'd just ditch the old stuff and buy brand new gear for everyone, nothing gets shipped back to Riddell and the other suppliers.

SAR I

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

They wouldn't recondition the helmets if they were changing the color.  They'd just buy new helmets.  To a $3 billion dollar corporation the helmets are dirt cheap.  If the color stays the same, hey why not, go the extra mile for safety and have 'em checked out for safety.  But even if you don't buy the "recondition for extra safety" argument, there is another great reason to send them back to the manufacturer:

Someone has to install all those decals to Nike spec and you might as well leave it to the experts and not our lonely equipment manager and his staff of one.  Send them back, quick safety check, polish up the white gloss, install the decals.  It feels like that's what's happening.  Otherwise, they'd just ditch the old stuff and buy brand new gear for everyone, nothing gets shipped back to Riddell and the other suppliers.

SAR I

You just dont get that showing helmets being remade, reconditioned, whatever doesn't mean those are the actual Jet helmets being reconditioned, repainted.  Its just hinting at change, nothing specific other than to fool those who are easily swayed and see what they want to see.

Given how many different helmets, from different manufacturers and how many are in the video, they arent even the Jets helmets. 

BTW, the lonely equipment managers of the NFL, theyre the ones who put the decals on the team helmets.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Since 1990:

1990 Atlanta

1993 New England

1997 Tampa Bay

1998 Jets

2002 Seattle

2007 San Diego

2011 Buffalo

2018 Tennessee

Thanks nyjunc.  Some conclusions:

- In the last 30 years, only 8 teams have changed color and of those 3 of them went back to their original base color.

- In the last 15 years, only 3 teams have changed color and of those 2 of them went back to their original base color.

- It's very rare for a team to change the base color of their helmets under any circumstances, and in the last 15 years the only team to change color away from their base color are the Titans, a team without a history still trying to find a brand identity.

- If the Jets change away from their base color they would be the first team that existed at the 1970 merger since 1993 to do so, a span of 26 years.

The historical odds are stacked against a change from white helmets to begin with, and the Jets sent their white helmets back to the manufacturers when there is no justification for it if the base color is changing.  Add it all up, we're staying with white helmets.

SAR I