Robby Anderson interview on GMFB(great Darnold tidbit from Robby)

Patriot Killa

6 hours ago, southtown24th said:

The kid is not speaking English.  Not many ways around that.  I think there might be a developmental delay or a developmental abnormality here.  

In that case, it's a wonder the group home lets you use the internet, given how low-functioning you are:

17 hours ago, southtown24th said:

thanks KRL

First word not capitalized; no period at the end of the sentence.

17 hours ago, southtown24th said:

dopeness

"Dopeness" is not a word, but even if it were, it is neither capitalized nor punctuated.

18 hours ago, southtown24th said:

True.  Until his lack of maturity and (seemingly) lack of intelligence affects him AGAIN off the field...ticking time bomb.

Improper use of "seemingly," which is modifying "lack of intelligence," i.e., "seemingly lack of intelligence."

On 7/29/2018 at 5:04 PM, southtown24th said:

i hope this is it.

"I" should be capitalized.

On 7/29/2018 at 4:59 PM, southtown24th said:

dang

No capitalization or punctuation.

On 7/29/2018 at 4:58 PM, southtown24th said:

really?

No capitalization.

On 7/29/2018 at 4:55 PM, southtown24th said:

he's the same (insert whatever claim you just made here) who missed the first 3 days of practice in his rookie year.  I don't care if he majored in basket weaving.  This is BAD. And it's on him. Period.

"he's" should be capitalized.

On 7/29/2018 at 4:47 PM, southtown24th said:

Bad situation all around but, I am blaming Sam.  He's an adult, he can't be that stupid, can he?

In the first sentence, the comma should be placed before "but," or eliminated entirely. The second sentence contains a comma splice; "He's an adult" and "he can't be that stupid" are independent clauses and should be separated by a period or semicolon.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, David Harris said:

Man it’s hard to listen to Robbie talk....like does anybody believe he’s not going to end up going Sheldon at some point...it feels inevitable...the kind of niceish dumb kid you pull for on Last Chance U who ultimately ends up behind bars because they’re just hoodlum hard wired 

The guy is from Teaneck. Not exactly the hood. 

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

In that case, it's a wonder the group home lets you use the internet, given how low-functioning you are:

First word not capitalized; no period at the end of the sentence.

"Dopeness" is not a word, but even if it were, it is neither capitalized nor punctuated.

Improper use of "seemingly," which is modifying "lack of intelligence," i.e., "seemingly lack of intelligence."

"I" should be capitalized.

No capitalization or punctuation.

No capitalization.

"he's" should be capitalized.

In the first sentence, the comma should be placed before "but," or eliminated entirely. The second sentence contains a comma splice; "He's an adult" and "he can't be that stupid" are independent clauses and should be separated by a period or semicolon.

You shouldn't start a sentence with a preposition. 

Don't get me started on conjunctions. 

• 1 month later...

via the athletic

Robby Anderson is focused on being more than just a deep threat in 2018

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — Robby Anderson sat down several months ago and watched the film from his rookie campaign. Then he watched footage from his 2017 season. Then more 2016. Then more 2017.

He shook his head.

The outside world saw him blossom into a potential star for the Jets. Anderson observed things differently. His stats were nice, sure. But he didn’t like his feet. A minor ankle ailment wouldn’t let him cut the way he wanted or stop as abruptly as he’d like.

“With route running, you need to eliminate steps,” he begins to explain.

It’s hard to imagine that the 25-year-old breaking down route concepts in his locker stall is the same wide-eyed kid who showed up as an undrafted free agent three years ago. It took time, but he’s not just on the field catching passes anymore. He’s well on his way to becoming a complete receiver.

Anderson’s kind of been the Jets’ version of Ricky ‘Wild Thing’ Vaughn in “Major League.” Vaughn had one pitch, and one pitch only: The Terminator, a 100-plus-mile-per-hour fastball. Anderson’s terminator? His ability to get deep. He averaged 14.9 yards per catch last year.

One issue: He doesn’t have a changeup. So the Jets sent him into this offseason with a goal: Round out your arsenal.

Jets receivers coach Karl Dorrell is a technician. He preaches to his players how small the gap is between success and failure. There’s no better example of that than route running. You’re “wide-open” with a yard of separation, he says. And you create that separation with your footwork.

The entire goal of running routes is to get in and out of your breaks as quickly as possible. Keyword: Quickly. Forget fast and speed. Eliminate steps and you’re quicker. If you get in and out of your breaks quicker than the guy covering you, you win.

“I think (Anderson’s) made progress in that area,” Dorrell said. “He can do the short stuff, intermediate, deep. The last couple of years it’s been the deep stuff. I think he’s going to be able to, and you’ll see all the progress on the other things as well.”

Anderson isn’t just young in age, but in football terms as well. He played just two years (24 games) at Temple before joining the Jets. They used him as a deep threat similar to how the Jets do. So it’s taken time for Anderson to fine tune and polish himself outside of the “see ball, get ball” mentality.

Before showing up to rookie minicamp, Anderson worked with former Bengals star Chad Johnson. Before 2017, he spent time training with Brandon Marshall at his gym in Florida. This offseason, he again worked with Johnson, along with his uncle and trainer Daniel Harris.

Anderson won’t go into the specifics of what he did this summer — it’s why he seldom shared videos of the workouts on social media. The most detail he gives is he worked on routes with Johnson (one of NFL’s greatest route runners), and conditioning with his uncle. His “theory and method” is to stay in shape, but not “kill himself.” This allows him to peak when the regular season hits without any burnout.

He thinks it’s worked, claiming he’s healthy and that his body feels great. He says his feet are “the best they’ve been” since he entered the league. He now runs slants, drags, comebacks, posts and more as confidently as the go.

But it’s even more than that, he says. He’s made legitimate progress with pre-snap coverage recognition.

“The game is slowing down,” he explains.

When Anderson used to come to the line, his mind would focus on his route. He’d run it, look for the ball when it was supposed to come, then catch it if it was there. Now he’s identifying coverages. This lets him understand how to attack leverage, what to expect, where the defenders will be, and where the holes are once he has the ball in his hands.

All of it — improved route running, health, football IQ — has led to a newfound confidence. This is the year he believes he’ll be free, not limited to specific routes.

“As I get older, I gain experience,” Anderson said. “As I gain experience, I earn the trust of coordinators and coaches.”

And he’s looking forward to gaining some of his quarterback’s, too.

As good as Anderson’s been at going deep, he’s never really had a great deep-ball quarterback. Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh McCown don’t have the strongest arms. Anderson played just two quarters with Geno Smith before Smith tore his ACL. Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg could throw deep, but nothing else.

Newly-minted starter Sam Darnold has more than enough arm strength. He attempted more deep passes (20-plus yards) than any quarterback in college football last year and had a 91.0 quarterback rating on such throws from 2016-2017.

Anderson smiles when asked about Darnold’s arm. He starts to rub his hands together.

“We’re building that connection,” he says. “I’m happy to have him out there. I’m ready to build something great with him.

“We’ve been working on our deep ball.”

And a few slants and drags, too.

On 7/30/2018 at 11:33 PM, GreenFish said:

He said he wants endorsement deals. Hopefully someone told him in order to get those, he better stay out of trouble.

Chris Johnson was one of the best, most dynamic players in the league.  Never got any national endorsement ads because he liked looking like a thug more. It doesnt play nationally.  Robbys "Ghetto Sideshow Bob" look doesnt exactly scream " face of a mainstream product". 

20 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Newly-minted starter Sam Darnold has more than enough arm strength. He attempted more deep passes (20-plus yards) than any quarterback in college football last year and had a 91.0 quarterback rating on such throws from 2016-2017.

Very telling stat for those concerned about our ability to throw the long ball this year 

Bates was keeping what Darnold can do wraps so this is gonna be pretty interesting the combo of Darnold & Anderson. 

Compared to McCown, Darnolds outs are quicker and more accurate. If these 2 guys get on the same page it's gonna be a lotta fun. Right before McCown was injured Robbie was mastering his outs & in cuts off that 9 route & with a QB like Darnold if Robbie get 1 on 1 coverage, the safety follows Sterling/Herndon, you hit Anderson on an In route & he's off to the races if Sam hits him on his hands so he doesn't break stride. Will remind a lot of us older guys of Kenny Obrien to Wesley Walker. 

Archived