Mangini Talks about Meddling Owners

UntouchableCrew

This is true in business as well when it's privately owned. Ultimately you have to do what you think is best because the buck stops with you, owners never take responsibility. Mangini sounds like a weeny

He’s 100% talking about Randy Lerner in Cleveland, who sniped Mangini by bringing in Mike Holmgren as the GM for his second year. Holmgren steamrolled Mangini because he wanted to coach again, but Lerner didn’t want Holmgren to coach, so it became a disaster instantly. 

7 minutes ago, CTM said:

This is true in business as well when it's privately owned. Ultimately you have to do what you think is best because the buck stops with you, owners never take responsibility. Mangini sounds like a weeny

I agree there. One of Mangini’s great failings was that he didn’t have the courage of his convictions, so he listened to too many people and his tough guy shtick came off as fake. If you’re going to be a prick, you’ve gotta be a prick. Pretend pricks get crushed by actual pricks such as Revis, Pete Kendall, etc. 

30 minutes ago, Larz said:

Woody 

He wanted Favre and promised Mangini that he would be safe (hastily cut starting QB and got nothing in return) and then fired him after the season went south 

did not help that said former starting QB who was cut with nothing in return, signed with arch rival and won the division in the home of the Jets, could have started KC for a couple of games to let Favre recover from that non-injury that eventually required surgery to repair

Imagine spending three years building a team with that much foundational talent on it, then getting fired because you can’t sell PSLs to a NY Giants sublet, and then watching an outright clown take your team and coach it on a playoff run before absolutely nuking your hard work. 

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Imagine spending three years building a team with that much foundational talent on it, then getting fired because you can’t sell PSLs to a NY Giants sublet, and then watching an outright clown take your team and coach it on a playoff run before absolutely nuking your hard work. 

I repped you for this one T0m, this is a good one    :)

57 minutes ago, Larz said:

Woody 

He wanted Favre and promised Mangini that he would be safe (hastily cut starting QB and got nothing in return) and then fired him after the season went south 

Agreed. Mangini has been quoted as saying that he felt like he sold his soul by allowing himself to get talked into signing Favre, his biggest mistake

LOL  Brett Favre was the best Qb this team has had in years and if he had hung around one more year the jets could very well have won the sb in rexs 1st year.

The jets were the best team in the whole freaking league that year until favre got hurt and mangini and sutton lost their nerve.

9 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Agreed. Mangini has been quoted as saying that he felt like he sold his soul by allowing himself to get talked into signing Favre, his biggest mistake

Not so sure about that.  Would be REALLY WEIRD naming your kid after a player you didn't want

As pledged, Mangini gives son middle name Brett in QB's honor

Oct 11, 2008
  • Associated Press

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- There's a new Brett in Eric Mangini's life.

Zack Brett Mangini was born early Friday -- also Brett Favre's 39th birthday -- and the New York Jets coach and his wife, Julie, gave their third son a middle name fit for an iconic, gunslinging quarterback.

Eric Mangini told Brett Favre he would name his third son after him if he signed with the Jets. Al Pereira/Getty Images

"I think he thinks it's pretty cool," Mangini said of Favre. "I think the more interesting, ironic, I don't know what word you'd use, is the fact he was born on Brett's birthday."

The newest member of the Mangini family was born at 7:43 a.m., weighing in at 7 pounds and 13 ounces and was 20 inches long with "very, very healthy lungs." A beaming Mangini, wearing a hospital bracelet around his left wrist, said the baby and his wife were "happy, healthy, so we're all excited."

Mangini committed to using the middle name, Brett, when he and the Jets were trying to get Favre to come to New York in the summer.

ADVERTISEMENT

"The odds of the child being born on the same day as my birthday, I don't know what the odds are," Favre said. "He told me that today was the day and I asked, 'Well, is he still going to be Brett?' He said, 'Yeah, Zack Brett.' ... The odds, in some respects, are a lot like me. What were the odds of me ever coming to the Jets?

"It is a pretty cool thing."

Special middle names are nothing new for the Mangini family. Their first son, Jake Harrison, who's 4½, is named after New England safety Rodney Harrison. Their 2½-year-old son, Luke William, is named in honor of Patriots coach Bill Belichick.

"Well, the history behind that," Mangini explained, "is all my kids have middle names that are related to people that have been important to me in my football career."

Mangini has also enjoyed professional success after each of his first two sons were born, both coincidentally on Feb. 26. Following Jake's birth in 2004, the Patriots went on to win the Super Bowl -- with Harrison intercepting two passes in the victory over Philadelphia. After Luke's birth two years later, Mangini led the Jets to the playoffs in his first season as coach.

So, when the Jets were recruiting the NFL's career leader in touchdown throws, Mangini made the middle name a negotiating chip.

"I explained that history and explained that we were pregnant with our third child," Mangini said. "I really believed that he could be an instrumental part in another good year and an important part of my football life and I would commit to Zack Brett Mangini at that point. That was part of our terms, and we stuck with it."

Mangini said the baby's middle name was going to be Brett even if the two didn't share the same birthday.

"That was locked and loaded in the negotiations," Mangini said with a smile, "but we couldn't have planned that if we wanted to. Pretty exciting."

Despite the middle name, Mangini isn't too optimistic that his youngest son will become an NFL quarterback.

"I don't like my odds there," Mangini said with a grin. "Just judging by how I throw, every male in our respective families throw, we tend to breed linemen on both sides. Maybe he'll change the equation."

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I agree there. One of Mangini’s great failings was that he didn’t have the courage of his convictions, so he listened to too many people and his tough guy shtick came off as fake. If you’re going to be a prick, you’ve gotta be a prick. Pretend pricks get crushed by actual pricks such as Revis, Pete Kendall, etc. 

Mangini really coulda used a comic relief hatchet man. Like Robert Loggia in Necessary Roughness.

The idea of Mangini having built anything is a total fabrication invented by select Jets fans who have decided they want to baselessly credit him, simply because he didn't spend as much time pissing us all off around here as those who actually did the job (e.g., Tanny).  Mangini was an incompetent boob who watched the entire team crumble in his hands, by no fault but his own, to the point that Rex's own idiocy was embraced as a great relief by the entire team.  Outside of a brief glimpse of hope in 2006, the guy has outright sucked at every job he's had since then.  His supposedly great eye for talent had him coming back to the Jets to trade for the likes of the immortal Brett Ratliff.

When the guy is naming his newborn child after a player he later claimed to have wanted no part of it, it's pretty clear he's completely full of sh*t.  And it sure as hell wasn't Favre's fault when Mangini made the point of being more "hands on" with the defense at the end of the season, and watching it all completely blow up in his face.  For how much hatred there is to spread around here for pretty much every former Jets coach, I will never understand the defense that comes to the guy with one of the worst recent resumes of the bunch.

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

could be right about mangini.  the whole pete kendall episode was telling.  how on earth could anyone think that by forcing a vet to bunk with the rookies is going to improve an attitude is beyond me.  of course maybe schitty was behind it.

20 minutes ago, rangerous said:

could be right about mangini.  the whole pete kendall episode was telling.  how on earth could anyone think that by forcing a vet to bunk with the rookies is going to improve an attitude is beyond me.  of course maybe schitty was behind it.

It’s an old Parcells trick that Mangini picked up from Belichick. You come in and establish control by kneecapping a veteran who talks too much. Parcells did it here with Hugh Douglas. 

8 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

The idea of Mangini having built anything is a total fabrication invented by select Jets fans who have decided they want to baselessly credit him, simply because he didn't spend as much time pissing us all off around here as those who actually did the job (e.g., Tanny). 

Mangini needs to be over credited in order to undermine Rex, who is the type of guy that picked on guys like T0m in high school. 

Still hasn't gotten over it.

He did bring some good pieces in, most notably Revis of course but Rex did as well and put it together into a damn good defense in 2009. Something Manginii was never able to do (and wouldn't have done here)

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Such as?

You dont think Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard made a difference on D in 2009 vs 2008, particularly with helping the team more quickly adopt Rex's superior scheme?

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It’s an old Parcells trick that Mangini picked up from Belichick. You come in and establish control by kneecapping a veteran who talks too much. Parcells did it here with Hugh Douglas. 

Mangini also clashed with Anthony Pleasant who was a very respected DE at the end of his career and apparently Mangini belittled him to try to act like a tough guy.  While its his fault for acting like that, he was simply too young for the job and didnt realize that you have to be yourself, not a fake tough guy.

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Kellen Clemens, Thomas Jones and Chansi Stuckey were world beaters!!!!!!!!!!!1

Archived