News about Kellen Winslow Jr keeps getting worse wow what a creep...

Kleckineau

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/how-kellen-winslow-ii-went-from-nfl-star-to-accused-serial-rapist/ar-BBLiTbw?ocid=spartandhp

How Kellen Winslow II went from NFL star to accused serial rapist

VISTA, Calif. – The witness known as Jane Doe 2 moved closer to the microphone when she was asked to speak up.

She appeared to be avoiding eye contact with the defendant, Kellen Winslow II, the retired NFL player who sat across the courtroom. One of his attorneys asked the 58-year-old homeless woman about having testified Winslow choked her during sexual intercourse.

“It wasn’t intercourse,’’ she responded. “It was rape. You need to use your words correctly, sir.’’

It was the morning of July 12, and tension was rising inside the North County Division of the San Diego Superior Court during a pretrial hearing in a case that’s as disturbing as it is confounding.

Winslow, 35, is the son of an NFL Hall of Famer; the sixth overall pick in the 2004 NFL draft who made almost $40 million in salary as a tight end during his 10-year pro career; and the husband of his high school sweetheart and father of their two young children.

When I watch these crazy incidents with guys like him and Hernandez and Rothslisberger I wonder if CTE contributes to them engaging in this kind of behavior.  Not that it makes a difference.  He still should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Thats an interesting thought. I am sure there is something wrong with his brain just not sure there is a direct correlation between CTE and this sort of behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

15 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

When I watch these crazy incidents with guys like him and Hernandez and Rothslisberger I wonder if CTE contributes to them engaging in this kind of behavior.  Not that it makes a difference.  He still should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

No. There is no correlation between CTE and violent behavior. But some lawyers will try and create one.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

No. There is no correlation between CTE and violent behavior. But some lawyers will try and create one.

exactly, with all the press of NFL/concussions etc, a good lawyer will roll dice order a Scan of Brain and hope there is a anamoly he can get 'sone Dr.' to say it is signs of CTE and hope for lenient sentencing.

21 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

No.  This sh*t happens every single day.  Every single day.  You just hear about it more from public figures because on a national level, no one cares when a poor person rapes/molests another poor person/child.

Just now, flgreen said:

Think roids are more likely.  Or maybe he was just always just crazy and real violent

"Benoit's brain was so severely damaged it resembled the brain of an 85-year-old Alzheimer's patient."[122] He was reported to have had an advanced form of dementia, similar to the brains of four retired NFL players who had suffered multiple concussions, sank into depression, and harmed themselves or others. Bailes and his colleagues concluded that repeated concussions can lead to dementia, which can contribute to severe behavioural problems.[122]

I'm not gonna say 'roids weren't involved but I think common sense dictates that killing your wife on Friday, your son on Saturday, then yourself on Sunday is more than "roid rage." The guy was messed up.

26 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

No.  This sh*t happens every single day.  Every single day.  You just hear about it more from public figures because on a national level, no one cares when a poor person rapes/molests another poor person/child.

Nobody cares when people have CTE and it isn't from professional sports.  There are plenty of ways to get concussions and traumatic brain injuries.  

53 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

No? Didn't Junior Seau shoot himself? I think that's pretty violent.  What about that wrestler who killed himself & his family - Benoit? He was found to have severe CTE. 

29 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Think roids are more likely.  Or maybe he was just always just crazy and real violent

I’ve known a lot of juicers in my day Powerlifting for over 25 years. If your not an a$$hole before you do steroids you’re pretty much OK. If your a big a$$hole before you do steroids your just a bigger a$$hole on them. Tons of people commit violent crimes and don’t do steroids.

41 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Eh, Chris Benoit murdering his wife and son seems to be pretty clearly linked to CTE to me.

Pain killers, concussions, host of other issues.

Wrestlers get tons of concussions, and since its entertainment they get little to no help.

1 minute ago, MaxAF said:

I’ve known a lot of juicers in my day Powerlifting for over 25 years. If your not an a$$hole before you do steroids you’re pretty much OK. If your a big a$$hole before you do steroids your just a bigger a$$hole on them. Tons of people commit violent crimes and don’t do steroids.

Actually I agree.  This CTE thing being blamed for everything football players do off the field is getting old. Guess roids fall into the same category.  Some people are just violent A holes.  A lot of them actually

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

Pain killers, concussions, host of other issues.

Wrestlers get tons of concussions, and since its entertainment they get little to no help.

Right. CTE from the concussions... Painkillers/steroids are a big part of why so many die young but I think it's hard not to link the Benoit situation to CTE/concussions. He clearly lost his mind. 

18 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Actually I agree.  This CTE thing being blamed for everything football players do off the field is getting old. Guess roids fall into the same category.  Some people are just violent A holes.  A lot of them actually

Yupper!

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Right. CTE from the concussions... Painkillers/steroids are a big part of why so many die young but I think it's hard not to link the Benoit situation to CTE/concussions. He clearly lost his mind. 

Benoit’s Wikipedia page was edited to say his wife died one week before it happened 

2 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

No, they are just sh*tty people. 

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Nobody cares when people have CTE and it isn't from professional sports.  There are plenty of ways to get concussions and traumatic brain injuries.  

I can't imagine you're suggesting causality?

14 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Actually, there are a boatload of studies now showing an absolute correlation between CTE and violent behavior.  Now, that does not mean that every perpetrator of violence suffers from CTE.  But there are so many documented cases of people, who were later determined to be suffering from CTE, who underwent dramatic personality change and developed a tendency towards violent outbursts which they had never shown previously in their lives.

13 hours ago, flgreen said:

Yeah, I think it would behoove you to do a bit more research into CTE.

16 hours ago, flgreen said:

Wonder how many concussions John Wayne Gacy had?

There’s probably many reasons he became the person he was. But his father did beat him when he was kid and knocked him out by hitting him on the head with broom stick. I know you were being sarcastic but Gacy likely had at least one. My guess is the psychological played a bigger role though.

2 hours ago, ReallyBigFan said:

Yeah, I think it would behoove you to do a bit more research into CTE.

You also my friend.  From everything that I have read, they really don't know all that much about it.  Different people have different opinions but very little is fact.  So far all they really know is that when you rattle your brain repeately it gets damaged.  The ultimate outcome?  Unknown.

To blame CTE for all the misbehavior of NFL players, or every time one of these guys does something horrific to say "Oh that's clearly CTE" is a major reach.  People do all kinds of things that are horrible with out ever having had a concussion.   Is there some connection?  I don't know, neither do the researchers

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

There’s probably many reasons he became the person he was. But his father did beat him when he was kid and knocked him out by hitting him on the head with broom stick. I know you were being sarcastic but Gacy likely had at least one. My guess is the psychological played a bigger role though.

Think that would be a pretty good guess.   Look at boxers.  How many concussions do you think a boxer will get in 20 years of boxing?  Does it damage, and affect their brain?  Of course. That's why it's called punch drunk.  Does it make them violent criminals?  Hard to see any consistent real evidence there.

Every body knows being stuck in the head repeatedly is going to lead to long term damage to a person. 

CTE has been around for ever.  It's suddenly become the PC thing to explain bad behavior for NFL players

1) The type of personality that decides to play a violent game

+

2) Socipathic tendencies

+

3) Steroids/PEDs

+

4) CTE

That's a dangerous cocktail.  Parsing out which of those 4 is the "primary cause" of violent behavior, or determining what % blame belongs to each, for ex-football players is difficult, but pretty necessary. 

It's not a good idea to dismiss any one of those factors when looking at case studies like Chris Henry, Aaron Hernandez, Kellen Winslow, Junior Seau, etc.

And operating under the assumption that CTE can't cause violent behavior is downright ignorant.  Of course it can.  You're harming the brain, and the brain is very delicate and complex.  No two brains with CTE are the same.  If it impacts the frontal lobe/prefrontal cortex, there goes your decision-making center, leaving behind a lot of "lizard brain" tendencies.

We've had reports of players with CTE hearing voices in their heads telling them to hurt others or themselves.  If that isn't alarming I don't know what is. 

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And operating under the assumption that CTE can't cause violent behavior is downright ignorant.  Of course it can.  You're harming the brain, and the brain is very delicate and complex.  No two brains with CTE are the same.  If it impacts the frontal lobe/prefrontal cortex, there goes your decision-making center, leaving behind a lot of "lizard brain" tendencies.

We've had reports of players with CTE hearing voices in their heads telling them to hurt others or themselves.  If that isn't alarming I don't know what is. 

Sure, but it's a dangerous proposition to state that CTE made me do it, when we see plenty of violence and similar behavior.  Far more in fact, in people with significantly lower likelihood of CTE, including in young adolescence before things like football become a factor. 

A/H, including ones of violent command nature, are also not terribly uncommon.  Some research suggests that it's up to 15% of the population has had experience w/ "hearing voices."  When you look at diagnostic rates of Schizophrenia in poor black men, it shouldn't be terribly surprising that some NFL players indeed, experience A/H.  Now, there may be, but I'm not aware of any link between them and brain injury.  Also, in general, A/H are thought to be related to issues in the temporal lobe, which, again, not a neurologist, but I do not believe are as likely to be effected by concussions.

Lastly, agreed, symbolic penis.

29 minutes ago, flgreen said:

You also my friend.  From everything that I have read, they really don't know all that much about it.  Different people have different opinions but very little is fact.  So far all they really know is that when you rattle your brain repeately it gets damaged.  The ultimate outcome?  Unknown.

To blame CTE for all the misbehavior of NFL players, or every time one of these guys does something horrific to say "Oh that's clearly CTE" is a major reach.  People do all kinds of things that are horrible with out ever having had a concussion.   Is there some connection?  I don't know, neither do the researchers

I certainly didn't suggest that CTE is to blame for every time a football player misbehaves, nor have I read anyone who does say that.  But there is ample and growing evidence showing that it does cause personality changes, rage, and often violence, often directed at self, but not just.  And if you read my post you saw that I said that even though studies show that CTE does cause violent behavior, obviously not every act of violence is from someone with CTE.

Archived