News about Kellen Winslow Jr keeps getting worse wow what a creep...

Kleckineau

42 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Sure, but it's a dangerous proposition to state that CTE made me do it, when we see plenty of violence and similar behavior.  Far more in fact, in people with significantly lower likelihood of CTE, including in young adolescence before things like football become a factor. 

A/H, including ones of violent command nature, are also not terribly uncommon.  Some research suggests that it's up to 15% of the population has had experience w/ "hearing voices."  When you look at diagnostic rates of Schizophrenia in poor black men, it shouldn't be terribly surprising that some NFL players indeed, experience A/H.  Now, there may be, but I'm not aware of any link between them and brain injury.  Also, in general, A/H are thought to be related to issues in the temporal lobe, which, again, not a neurologist, but I do not believe are as likely to be effected by concussions.

Lastly, agreed, symbolic penis.

+1 it isn't that it may or may not have an impact on such behavior; it's that blaming CTE from football ignores literally every other factor (genetics, upbringing, societal influences, years of enabling by having everyone kiss his ass, and a general lack of decent values instilled and reinforced over the years). Throwing out all those and more, and just saying "CTE" (which he may not even have) in the absence of proven/repeatable study on the matter, is lazy thought. 

He's dirtbag. No need to complicate it by rationalizing excuses for this rapist's dirtbaggishness because he was once good at football. 

14 hours ago, TeddEY said:

I can't imagine you're suggesting causality?

Not at all.  I am saying that whenever there is some horrific violent event involving football players, boxers, wrestlers, hockey players, etc - everybody jumps on the CTE issue.  Other people are just violent animals.  I bet plenty of violent animals that are not football players, boxers, wrestlers, hockey players, etc also have CTE or brain injuries, but nobody gives a sh*t.  A while back I read a case about a kid who got it in high school and it seemed like people were downplaying it, as if you can't get multiple concussions in high school.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Not at all.  I am saying that whenever there is some horrific violent event involving football players, boxers, wrestlers, hockey players, etc - everybody jumps on the CTE issue.  Other people are just violent animals.  I bet plenty of violent animals that are not football players, boxers, wrestlers, hockey players, etc also have CTE or brain injuries, but nobody gives a sh*t.  A while back I read a case about a kid who got it in high school and it seemed like people were downplaying it, as if you can't get multiple concussions in high school.

You can’t get CTE from HS or college football (or elsewhere of lesser note). It only happens in the NFL. #fact

8 hours ago, ReallyBigFan said:

Actually, there are a boatload of studies now showing an absolute correlation between CTE and violent behavior.  Now, that does not mean that every perpetrator of violence suffers from CTE.  But there are so many documented cases of people, who were later determined to be suffering from CTE, who underwent dramatic personality change and developed a tendency towards violent outbursts which they had never shown previously in their lives.

Well a lot of doctors also dispute those claims. It is a big leap to see a causal relationship, as are many medical study conclusions. I am not a doctor so I am not going to argue the point, but I think the statistics of violence and CTE are so low, that it is just as likely as not that other factors are in play. If you want some interesting reading on how flawed these causal relationships can be look up the guy who "proved" ESP. 

When a person who had a fine upbringing and was known to be a good, non-violent individual for many, many years, undergoes a dramatic personality change including bouts of enormous rage and violence, and is subsequently shown to have or have had CTE, you don't need to be a brain surgeon to understand that the brain damage was at the very least a major factor.

I am not talking about jerks like Aaron Hernandez who ran with violent gangs and was known to be a violent miscreant long before he was charged with murder.  I am talking about people who were good community and family people who suddenly changed.  Stop conflating all cases involving violence and former football players, they are not all even remotely the same.

Archived