With Bush in draft, Houston has a problem

Smizzy

With Bush in draft, Houston has a problem

By The Associated Press

Saturday, January 14, 2006

When Houston lost to San Francisco in its final regular-season game to "earn" the No. 1 draft pick, the assumption was the Texans would take Reggie Bush, the once-in-a-generation running back.

It's not that simple now that Vince Young has declared for the draft following a dazzling performance that brought Texas the national championship. Young is from Houston, Houston is in Texas and a local hero could do wonders for the fans of a team that went 2-14.

Throw in Matt Leinart, Bush's teammate at Southern California, and the Texans are in a bit of a quandary: a do-it all running back and two quarterbacks, one a favorite son.

Don't ask Charley Casserly, Houston's general manager, to commit this early.

Among other things, he still has to find a coach, with the front-runner Gary Kubiak, the Denver offensive coordinator. Kubiak was a quarterback -- John Elway's longtime backup for the Broncos -- so that might become a factor.

Casserly said little after Bush declared Thursday he was leaving USC.

"All we can say is what has happened here with Reggie Bush and Vince Young declaring, with the addition of Matt Leinart among other players, is that you have a real strong top of the draft," Casserly said. "It means we're going to get a real good player if we keep the pick, and if we trade the pick, we've got certainly a very valuable commodity to trade."

To be fair, no GM in his position would say anything else at this point.

A few things to remember:

1. There are rarely sure things. Remember that in 1998, there were teams that thought Ryan Leaf was a better prospect than Peyton Manning. And that in 1989, Dallas' choice of Troy Aikman at No. 1 was criticized by many who thought the Cowboys should have chosen Tony Mandarich.

2. Houston has a young quarterback in David Carr, who will be 27 in July. He has been sacked more than 200 times in four seasons and has regressed. But indications are that the Texans will pay the $8 million bonus due in March -- a recognition that the problems were on the offensive line and a hint that they will select Bush or trade down for additional picks.

3. For all his college heroics, Young is still a question to NFL scouts because of an odd throwing motion and some uncertain decision-making during his college career. Still, he appears to be a bigger Michael Vick, who can learn the NFL passing game and whose running ability will create numerous problems for opponents.

After Houston come New Orleans, Tennessee and the New York Jets.

Consider their needs (a lot) and throw in a few other prospects, including LenDale White, the power half of the running back tandem at USC -- he declared for the draft the day before Bush did and probably will go in the top 10.

The Saints and Titans need quarterbacks -- Tennessee's Steve McNair wants to come back but has to renegotiate what otherwise would be a salary cap-breaking deal. Sitting and learning from an accomplished veteran would be the perfect situation for a Leinart or Young.

The Jets also would like a QB because Chad Pennington has undergone surgery on his throwing shoulder twice in the last year. But they may want experience rather than youth, and they need both offensive linemen and a running back to succeed Curtis Martin.

So ...

Quick mock draft: Bush to Houston; Leinart to New Orleans; Young to Tennessee; and D'Brickashaw Ferguson, offensive tackle from Virginia to the Jets (unless Houston trades down to get him). Ferguson is from Freeport, N.Y., a short drive from the Jets' training site.

Too easy, so it won't happen that way, especially if Houston owner Bob McNair succumbs to the clamor of the fans.

Almost every team in the NFL thinks Bush will be the best player available. He is Gale Sayers, Barry Sanders, LaDainian Tomlinson -- an all purpose back with speed, elusiveness, even deceptive power.

Next comes Leinart, the classic NFL drop-back quarterback. He has some mobility, a lot of high-level, pressure experience and is viewed by scouts as a long-term starter although perhaps not a superstar.

Some history, recent and ancient:

In 2001, San Diego had the first choice and traded down, giving Atlanta the rights to Vick and choosing Tomlinson fifth overall. The Chargers also got Drew Brees with the first pick of the second round. So who did better? Maybe New England, which took Richard Seymour one pick after the Chargers got Tomlinson.

In 1993, Drew Bledsoe went No. 1 to the Patriots. Three other draftees turned out to long-term stars: Willie Roaf, No. 8 to New Orleans; Jerome Bettis, No. 10 to the Rams; and Michael Strahan, No. 40 to the Giants.

Typical of this era, Strahan is the only one of that group still with the team that drafted him. If the defensive-minded Bill Parcells, then the Pats' coach, knew how he would turn out would he have taken him No. 1 or would he have stuck with Bledsoe, who was the QB when New England got to the Super Bowl four seasons later?

One pick after Bledsoe, the Seahawks took Rick Mirer, another quarterback who failed. So did Leaf and three QBs taken in the top 12 in 1999 -- Tim Couch (No. 1), Akili Smith (No. 3) and Cade McNown (No. 12).

In 2000, New England took Tom Brady with the 199th pick.

That's the ultimate demonstration of why there are no sure things.

Wait, in the draft in which the Chargers committed a theft worthy of 15 yrs in prison on the Falcons, this author thinks the PATS got the best deal?

Let's see.

The Chargers got the BEST RB in football 5th (and other picks). For that, they gave the Falcons Vick, who is very overrated and can't win you a big game. Also, they used their 2nd rounder to get a Franchise QB. He may not be a top 5 QB, but I'd take him over Vick.

I dont know how any team with the 1st overall pick would even consider Young over Bush, or Young at all!

I know he raised his stock after the rose bowl, but he did NOTHING in that game as a passer...NOTHING.

I wouldnt touch him in the 1st rd. And despite these mock drafts floating around, I'll still be surprised if he is taken in the top 3.

I've said it all along.

It would be wise for Houston to TRADE DOWN, stock pile picks and draft D'Brick. They don't need a QB or a RB. Davis & Carr are going to be really good players for years to come, it would be stupid to draft Bush. Just my honest opinion.

Of all of the numerous needs of the Texans, RB is really not a need. Domanick Davis is clearly a talented runner and a capable starter. What would absolutely make the most sense for them is to trade down and take Ferguson. I also think Ferguson would be a very smart pick for the Jets, but who the hell knows what's gonna happen in the draft until it actually happens.

With Kubiak in Houston I gotta believe he will install the same system that was in Denver. That means a QB with atleast enough mobility to roll out (Which Carr does have), an athletic all star o-line (which he does not have), and a cheap late round draft pick RB that you can run into the ground (which he has a couple of). All of those reasons are why I can see Houston trading down and grabing multiple picks. Houston's O-Line personel is terrible, as well as thier defense.

I dont know how any team with the 1st overall pick would even consider Young over Bush, or Young at all!

I know he raised his stock after the rose bowl, but he did NOTHING in that game as a passer...NOTHING.

I wouldnt touch him in the 1st rd. And despite these mock drafts floating around, I'll still be surprised if he is taken in the top 3.

stop being ignorant dude. GM's dont care what you think about vince young, theyre going to draft him anyways. Prepare for a "shocker".

Listening to John McClain on the radio last night he had an interesting take (this guy gets real good inside info across the entire NFL):

He said that Tom Benson does not want the #2 pick because he does not want to shell out a $20 mil+ signing bonus.

Said if the Texans take Bush at #1, look for the Jets to trade up to #2 and take Young.

Said Dinger (who he has a very close relationship) is drooling over the thought of having Young in his offense. Said he would implement a "bootleg" offense similar to what the Broncos did with Elway in his early years.

Interesting take. Any draft gurus out there know what it would cost the Jets to move up from #4 to #2?

Listening to John McClain on the radio last night he had an interesting take (this guy gets real good inside info across the entire NFL):

He said that Tom Benson does not want the #2 pick because he does not want to shell out a $20 mil+ signing bonus.

Said if the Texans take Bush at #1, look for the Jets to trade up to #2 and take Young.

Said Dinger (who he has a very close relationship) is drooling over the thought of having Young in his offense. Said he would implement a "bootleg" offense similar to what the Broncos did with Elway in his early years.

Interesting take. Any draft gurus out there know what it would cost the Jets to move up from #4 to #2?

It does make sense.

It would take 800 points to move up. So a 2nd and 3rd or a 2nd and a combo of late rounders. But with the Jets probably having 2 3rds it wouldn't hurt that much.

Here is a link to the draft valu chart.

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/pick_value_chart.htm

It does make sense.

It would take 800 points to move up. So a 2nd and 3rd or a 2nd and a combo of late rounders. But with the Jets probably having 2 3rds it wouldn't hurt that much.

Here is a link to the draft valu chart.

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/pick_value_chart.htm

And it even makes more sense with the Jets getting additional comp picks (yea I know, you can't trade comp picks) for Jordan, Fergy and McKenzie.

And it even makes more sense with the Jets getting additional comp picks (yea I know, you can't trade comp picks) for Jordan, Fergy and McKenzie.

I agree Jets would have the ammo to do this.

Vince Young's perfect pro comparison is John Elway. He is big, has a strong arm and is mobile, but he maybe inaccurate. People say that Elway was the perfect QB coming out but I'm not too sure that is true. Elway was very inaccurate in the pro's early in his career (look up his stats) and it was because of how far he drew the ball back when throwing. When Shanahan got him a running game and put him on the edges to make his short throws easier he became deadly. This is bcause it covered up his only weakness - the short passing game. People who compare V Young to Vick, Culpepper, or McNabb are doing it purely on race because there is very little else that is similar. And as far as his dilivery goes - I'm not too worried. I bet most don't even know that all lefites throw sidearm and that never bothered Esiason or Young or others. His delivery will not need to be corrected at all in an offense like Dingers and the only reason to tweek it in a pro style offense is if he is tipping off DB's with his motion when he is throwing a 20 yard out with a 5 step drop. Then the DB might have time to read it and get a jump on the ball before it is released. But that is a question with most QB's coming out all for different reasons. Some it may be footwork, some it may be throwing motion or delivery and other reasons.

I agree Jets would have the ammo to do this.

Vince Young's perfect pro comparison is John Elway. He is big, has a strong arm and is mobile, but he maybe inaccurate. People say that Elway was the perfect QB coming out but I'm not too sure that is true. Elway was very inaccurate in the pro's early in his career (look up his stats) and it was because of how far he drew the ball back when throwing. When Shanahan got him a running game and put him on the edges to make his short throws easier he became deadly. This is bcause it covered up his only weakness - the short passing game. People who compare V Young to Vick, Culpepper, or McNabb are doing it purely on race because there is very little else that is similar. And as far as his dilivery goes - I'm not too worried. I bet most don't even know that all lefites throw sidearm and that never bothered Esiason or Young or others. His delivery will not need to be corrected at all in an offense like Dingers and the only reason to tweek it in a pro style offense is if he is tipping off DB's with his motion when he is throwing a 20 yard out with a 5 step drop. Then the DB might have time to read it and get a jump on the ball before it is released. But that is a question with most QB's coming out all for different reasons. Some it may be footwork, some it may be throwing motion or delivery and other reasons.

sherry,

That is a damn good post.

You really nailed it. Comparing Young to Vick, Culpepper and McNabb is totally ridiculous.

He is an exact clone of John Elway coming out of college.

I still feel that a good HC and QB coach can improve Young's mechanics where he will be a great NFL QB.

Keep in mind, Elway was very rough his first few seasons in the NFL.

stop being ignorant dude. GM's dont care what you think about vince young, theyre going to draft him anyways. Prepare for a "shocker".

Shut up. Who's being ignorant?

Why do you think I am ignorant? Because I refuse to buy into the Young hype?

HERE'S SOME IGNORANCE FOR YA - Young has never played in a prostyle offense, has horrible mechanics, and is inaccuracte. Those are FACTS. No ignorance about it, bud.

Some team will probably take Young high, but I'll believe it when I see it.

No chance in hell the Jets trade up for a QB who is a 2 year project. No chance in hell.

Contrasting reports between McClain, and a local guy in Cimini.

I'm surprised by you, tx. Earlier in the college season you said Young has horrible mechanics, and that there is no way he will be in NFL QB. What exactly has changed your mind? Young has done nothing as a passer since your comments, and he still has horrible mechanics......

Shut up. Who's being ignorant?

Why do you think I am ignorant? Because I refuse to buy into the Young hype?

HERE'S SOME IGNORANCE FOR YA - Young has never played in a prostyle offense, has horrible mechanics, and is inaccuracte. Those are FACTS. No ignorance about it, bud.

Some team will probably take Young high, but I'll believe it when I see it.

dude you shut up.

i didnt say i bought into youngs hype either, i think hes going to be good down the road, but not immediately. Im saying youre ignorant if you think some team wont pick him very high in the draft.

Get a clue man, dont jump back at me unless you have a point--and considering your defending yourself for something im not talking about...you have no clue

Anyone else here see the similarties between Vince Young and Alex Smith?

Both came on late as NFL #1 picks because of their BCS game performances. Both ran a non prostyle shotgun 95% of the time type offense at Utah and Texas. Both throw sidearm...I believe. I'm not knocking either, I think Smith will be good in another year or two, possibly three. Personally though< i've NEVER really cared for Vince Young and I think he could be a good pro but it would take a tremendous amount of work and even then I see him as how Michael Vick is today. Runs sometimes, not as much as he used too and is effective but when it comes to throwing the football and being a type of pocket passer, it's NEVER going to happen, NEVER. Vick & Young will just be two more prime examples. How did McNabb do it then you ask? McNabb wasn't that big of a scrambler at Cuse nor was he in his early days in The Illadelph, he didn't run half as much as Vick / Young.

The Texans need to trade down, stock pile picks to use on these positions: OL, WR, DL, LB and S. Trading down a few spots to earn another 1st or 2nd round pick and then draft D'Brickshaw Ferguson...that would be the wise move. Or if not Ferguson, Mario Williams, because the Texans need a pass rusher, BAD. They have their QB and RB for the future, enough of this Desmond Howard, I mean, Reggie Bush to the Texans BS. It will probably happen...BUT...it will also probably be the reason the franchise will stay down in the dumps for another 4 years.

dude you shut up.

i didnt say i bought into youngs hype either, i think hes going to be good down the road, but not immediately. Im saying youre ignorant if you think some team wont pick him very high in the draft.

Get a clue man, dont jump back at me unless you have a point--and considering your defending yourself for something im not talking about...you have no clue

You're not making any sense.

Then why did you call me ignorant???

I never said my opinion of Young made a sh**s difference in the eyes of NFL Gms. :roll:

Anyways, Bradway himself said they wont take a QB right now at #4, as well as Cimini backing that up, so I doubt a GM (on the verge of the hotseat) would trade up for a QB who will not even make an impact in his 1st nfl season.

Anyone else here see the similarties between Vince Young and Alex Smith?

Both came on late as NFL #1 picks because of their BCS game performances. Both ran a non prostyle shotgun 95% of the time type offense at Utah and Texas. Both throw sidearm...I believe. I'm not knocking either, I think Smith will be good in another year or two, possibly three. Personally though< i've NEVER really cared for Vince Young and I think he could be a good pro but it would take a tremendous amount of work and even then I see him as how Michael Vick is today. Runs sometimes, not as much as he used too and is effective but when it comes to throwing the football and being a type of pocket passer, it's NEVER going to happen, NEVER. Vick & Young will just be two more prime examples. How did McNabb do it then you ask? McNabb wasn't that big of a scrambler at Cuse nor was he in his early days in The Illadelph, he didn't run half as much as Vick / Young.

The Texans need to trade down, stock pile picks to use on these positions: OL, WR, DL, LB and S. Trading down a few spots to earn another 1st or 2nd round pick and then draft D'Brickshaw Ferguson...that would be the wise move. Or if not Ferguson, Mario Williams, because the Texans need a pass rusher, BAD. They have their QB and RB for the future, enough of this Desmond Howard, I mean, Reggie Bush to the Texans BS. It will probably happen...BUT...it will also probably be the reason the franchise will stay down in the dumps for another 4 years.

Great post, 124.

Riggs was the 1st person I know to compare Alex Smith to Young. And there is a real comparison there because both ran gimmick offenses.

While the Jets have the ammo to move up, it wouldn't be wise. Why? Simple. They have far too many holes to fill. Especially if you don't want to sit through a long rebuilding process. They can use this draft, along with all the picks they're going to get, and reload. New coach, new talent, almost all the cap problems over with...

But there's one thing that I'm not sure about. The uncapped year. 2007. Without a new CBA, I'm still a bit uneasy about the whole thing.

No chance in hell the Jets trade up for a QB who is a 2 year project. No chance in hell.

Contrasting reports between McClain, and a local guy in Cimini.

I'm surprised by you, tx. Earlier in the college season you said Young has horrible mechanics, and that there is no way he will be in NFL QB. What exactly has changed your mind? Young has done nothing as a passer since your comments, and he still has horrible mechanics......

barton, let's get a few things straight.

First, I just passed on an interesting tidbit from a guy (McClain) who has very good inside info throughout the NFL. I'm not saying that will happen, but it is a scenario that hadn't been discussed yet.

Second, I did say, and I still contend, Vince Young has horrible mechanics. Even you have to admit (which I certainly do) he improved tremendously throwing the football from last year to this year.

Does he still need improvement? Of course he does. But given the right OC, and especially the right QB coach, he can, and will, get better.

You seem to have a bug up your butt regarding Vince Young. Trust me, the guy will be a very good NFL player. :wink:

barton, let's get a few things straight.

First, I just passed on an interesting tidbit from a guy (McClain) who has very good inside info throughout the NFL. I'm not saying that will happen, but it is a scenario that hadn't been discussed yet.

Second, I did say, and I still contend, Vince Young has horrible mechanics. Even you have to admit (which I certainly do) he improved tremendously throwing the football from last year to this year.

Does he still need improvement? Of course he does. But given the right OC, and especially the right QB coach, he can, and will, get better.

You seem to have a bug up your butt regarding Vince Young. Trust me, the guy will be a very good NFL player. :wink:

What discouraged me alittle is the story I heard while watching a texas game this year.

Mack Brown has been trying to correct Youngs mechanics for years, and has not been able to do it.

Sounds to me like it will be a nearly impossible job to fix his mechanics in the NFL, and makes Young sound uncoachable.

What discouraged me alittle is the story I heard while watching a texas game this year.

Mack Brown has been trying to correct Youngs mechanics for years, and has not been able to do it.

Sounds to me like it will be a nearly impossible job to fix his mechanics in the NFL, and makes Young sound uncoachable.

Mack Brown is probably the best recruiter in college football. As a HC, I think he leaves a lot to desire.

I still contend that having a good QB coach in the NFL, Vince Young will be able to improve his throwing motion and delivery.

I guess time will tell.

Archived